Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 171 Words
  • 917 Views
  • 2 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Poetry - 23. …to wreathe the brows of day…

.

...to wreathe the brows of day...

 

After hard work and a sense of achievement,

I want sweet nothings to dream the hours away,

To tarry with the fleeting pleasures of day

And revel in great and small as a present:

 

To sing gentle poets' verse and know what they meant,

Stretched in the grass, near those gurgling springs at play,

By rose bushes, and under where lime trees sway,

To live life carefree, with no encumberment.

 

In May to wreathe the brows of day with a score

Of green foliage and beautify in kind

Sultry nights with wine and love till it's day once more.

 

Even if a mortal judge frowns and turns blind

To accuse me of its worst abuses at core,

This life's the only thing that pleases my mind.

—August von Platen,[i]

circa 1805

 

 

 

 


[i] “…to wreathe the brows of day…” August von Platen Gedichte (Stuttgart 1828), p. 176; translation of “Nach langer Arbeit Glücklichem Vollbringen”

https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_Zvg-AAAAIAAJ/page/n181/mode/2up?q=

 

_
 
as noted
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Such a beautiful sonnet; it radiates golden sunlight and simple pleasures. And maybe if we’re fortunate, then we can wreath the brows of our own days as he does his…

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 10/25/2021 at 1:22 PM, Parker Owens said:

Such a beautiful sonnet; it radiates golden sunlight and simple pleasures. And maybe if we’re fortunate, then we can wreath the brows of our own days as he does his…

I am making my way through this poet's Sonnets; and these early ones of his (presumably dating from his university years) are full of longing advice to the young men (or, one man?) he was in love with. 

Thanks for your comments, Parker :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..