Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 663 Words
  • 200 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Poetry - 82. . . . how you became a rigid bloke over night? . . .

.

Martial –

A selection of tongue-in-cheek epigrams

 

 

[‘To an Ancient Metro Dude’]

 

The fact that you’re shaving your chest and thighs

And your arms, and are thinning your pubic hair, Labienus –

All this shows everyone you’re getting ready for your girlfriend.

But for whom are you shaving your butt?

—Martial,[i]

epigram II, 62

 

[D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

Young Hyllus, deny today what you so freely gave me yesterday?

Why be so harsh? You who were so bendably compliant.

Now you conjure excuses –

about your peach fuzz,

about your advancing years

about your nascent body hair.

Can one night be long enough to turn you into a codger?

Why make fun of me? You who were but boy yesterday.

Tell me how you became a rigid bloke over night?

—Martial, [ii]

epigram IV, 7

 

[after D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

You don’t whine about anyone, Apicius, or bad-mouth them,

But gossips say you have a wicked little tongue indeed.

—Martial, [iii]

epigram III, 80

 

[after D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

Have you ever seen anyone as miserable as that old queen Sabellus?

Why, dear Matho – no one was quite as contented as he!

But thefts, exiles, absent slaves, fires and funerals have left

Him so desperate, the poor fool’s reduced to fucking women!

—Martial, [iv]

epigram VI, 33

 

[after D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

Lycoris has only one eye, Faustinus, and it’s set on a cupbearer,

Like Ganymede. How well those one-eyed can see!

—Martial, [v]

epigram III, 39

 

[D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

You adore being impaled, Papylus, but cry afterwards.

Why, since you love the fucking, carry on later on –

Could it be you’re embarrassed by impromptu sex?

Or do you shed tears, Papylus, ‘cause the impaling’s cum to an end!

—Martial, [vi]

epigram IV, 48

 

[after D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

You see that guy with the long, uncut hair, Decianus?

The one you’re afraid of because of his glowering scowl?

The one who gabs about the Curii and other great heroes of the past?

Well, don’t be afraid of that butch front. Yesterday he became a bride.

—Martial, [vii]

epigram I, 24

 

[D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

You’re always sleeping with well-hung boys, my Phoebus,

But what stands up for you doesn’t stand up for them.

So, Phoebus, I ask – what am I to make of it?

 

I wanted to believe you were too tender to ravish,

But gossips tell you you’re well-heeled in taking it!

—Martial, [viii]

epigram III, 73

 

[after D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

The slavemonger wanted me to pay a hundreds thousand for the boy;

I laughed, but Apollo forced me to pay the price.

As a result, my pecker is all worn out and blames me to Himself,

While Apollo is praised at my expense.

I hear that Apollo’s cock once earned him a good two million;

Give me that, and I’ll rise again to the heights!

—Martial, [ix]

epigram I, 58

 

[D.R. Shackleton]

 

 

 

 

 

 


[i] “[‘To an Ancient Metro Dude’]” Martial epigram II, 62 in translation by D.R. Shackleton

[ii] “Young Hyllus, deny today” Martial epigram IV, 7 in translation after D.R. Shackleton

[iii] “You don’t whine about anyone” Martial epigram III, 80 in translation after D.R. Shackleton

[iv] “Have you ever seen anyone as miserable” Martial epigram VI, 33 in translation after D.R. Shackleton

[v] “Lycoris has only one eye” Martial epigram III, 39 in translation by D.R. Shackleton

[vi] “You adore being impaled, Papylus” Martial epigram IV, 48 in translation after D.R. Shackleton

[vii] “You see that guy with the long, uncut hair” Martial epigram I, 24 in translation by D.R. Shackleton

[viii] “You’re always sleeping with well-hung boys” Martial epigram III, 73 in translation after D.R. Shackleton

[ix] “The slavemonger wanted me to pay” Martial epigram I, 58 in translation by D.R. Shackleton

_

as noted
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

37 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Your translated epigrams made me grin, and wonder at the fortunate men who gave rise to them. 

Thanks, Parker. One thing seems clear, Martial had a lot of boyfriends!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Apicius may have a wicked little tongue, but Martial does too.  Martial apparently uses it on his boys in sharp and penetrating style both in and out of bed.  Great collection.  I do hope you add more of these entertaining and funny epigrams.   

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, raven1 said:

Apicius may have a wicked little tongue, but Martial does too.  Martial apparently uses it on his boys in sharp and penetrating style both in and out of bed.  Great collection.  I do hope you add more of these entertaining and funny epigrams.   

Thanks for this, Terry. On rereading this today, I suddenly realized why Martial chose the nickname of "Apicius" for the boy in the poem. It's because of the nearly mythic ability of the namesake to savor wonderful flavors.

The word/name Apicius in ancient Latin culture was basically equivalent to the way the word/name Epicurean is used today. There are many and conflicting reports concerning a real-life gourmet named Apicius, but they all disagree on points of origin and lifespan, which they place near the time of Christ. And the commonly accepted myths of a true-life Apicius -- the one you'd read on wiki, for example -- all lack the obvious fact that Cato in the second century B.C. already relayed that one of the grape varieties he had planted at his estate was named Apicium (de agricultura, chapter 6). *

 

* p. 74 of Andrew Dalby's critical edition of the Latin with his own translation (Devon 1998)       

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..