Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 80 Words
  • 1,315 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Poetry - 8. …After the wrestling…

.

“Poem”

 

After the wrestling, when our mouths

Had kissed to heal their wounds,

And both sides victory gained, then peace was signed

And on my burning body you drew

With grateful hands the shining folds

Of a cloth stretching from head to heel,

Invisible liniments I wear,

Pressing my face against my arm

To touch and smell your body there.

—Stephen Spender,

1939

 

 

spacer.png

Peter Wever from his 1950 Embrace series

 

 

 

_

as noted
  • Love 4
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 9/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, Parker Owens said:

How breathtaking this beautiful observation is. I savored it from head to heel. 

@Parker Owens Thank you for reading and commenting. Spender is a wonderful poet

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/31/2023 at 3:17 AM, D.K. Daniels said:

The play of words leaves a visceral imprint in your memory long after you've read it. Thanks for the neat poem.

Thanks for reading it! In some ways Spender is the 'forgotten' Gay poet of his era, while his contemporaries, like Auden, are oft-quoted and put in anthologies.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..