Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 510 Words
  • 193 Views
  • 9 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Great Mirror of Same-Sex Love - Poetry - 89. I feel the truth in his body

**Some sexy content ahead**

.

I feel the truth in his body

 

Later: Everything is okay again and I didn't have to move downstairs after all.

He slept alone on the beach [last night] because he needed some sleep. Doesn’t get much with me. But that’s his own fault for being so incredibly beautiful. We wake up two or three times in the night and start all over again[.] The ceiling is very high like the loft of a barn and the tide is lapping under the wharf. The sky, amazingly brilliant with stars. The wind blows the door wide open, the gulls are crying. Oh, Christ. I call him baby like you call Butch, though when I lie on top of him, I feel like I am polishing the Statue of Liberty or something. He is so enormous. A great bronze statue of antique Greece come to life. But with a little boy’s face. A funny upturned nose, slanting eyes, and underlip that sticks out, and hair that comes to a point in the middle of his forehead. I lean over him in the night and memorize the geography of his body with my hands — he arches his throat and makes a soft, purring sound. His skin is steaming hot like the hide of a horse that’s been galloping. It has a warm, rich odor. The odor of life. He lies very still [on his back] for a while, then his breath comes fast and his body begins to lunge. Great rhythmic plunging motion with panting breath and his hands working over my body. Then sudden release — and he moans like a little baby. I rest with my head on his stomach. Sometimes fall asleep that way. We doze for a while. And then I whisper “Turn over.” He does. We use brilliantine [hair oil]. The first time I come in three seconds, as soon as I get inside. The next time is better, slower, the bed seems to be enormous. Pacific, Atlantic, the North American continent. — A wind has blown the door open, the sky’s full of stars. High tide is in and water laps under the wharf. And now we’re so tired we can’t move. After a long while he whispers, “l like you, Tenny” — hoarse — embarrassed — ashamed of such intimate speech! — and I laugh, for I know that he loves me! — That nobody ever loved me before so completely. I feel the truth in his body. I call him baby — and tell him to go to sleep. After a while he does, his breathing is deep and even, and his great deep chest is like a continent moving slowly, warmly beneath me. The world grows dim, the world grows warm and tremendous.

—Tennessee Williams,[i]

1940

 

spacer.png

The picture of himself Kip gave to Williams the summer they met, 1940

 

 

 


[i] “I feel the truth in his body” Tennessee Williams, July 29-30 letter to Donald Windham from Provincetown, Massachusetts. Kip was a Canadian ballet dancer whose later death is movingly portrayed in William's autobiography.

_

as noted
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was beautiful!  Now, the technical question.  I note you posted it in poetry, so this would likely be what has been referred to elsewhere as "prose poetry"?  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You AC Benus for This Latest Posting , Love Tennessee Williams Writings 😍celebrate marilyn monroe GIF by Grande Dame

Thanks, Jon. And this is some of his best poetry 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, Backwoods Boy said:

That was beautiful!  Now, the technical question.  I note you posted it in poetry, so this would likely be what has been referred to elsewhere as "prose poetry"?  

Absolutely. And some of the best to study too; the way Williams repeats refrains (the doors opening; the stars; the surf; the sense of scale as big and little; "baby") they circle back around to the statement of love between them. I love this piece 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I love the eroticism of this poem. I enjoy the way he writes about sex as love in a way that is not pornographic.  I have loved the plays Tennessee Williams had written and the movies based on them, so I went down the rabbit hole once again.  I found a lot in the wikipedia entry that explains much about the influence his family background and homosexuality played in his stories.  

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, raven1 said:

I love the eroticism of this poem. I enjoy the way he writes about sex as love in a way that is not pornographic.  I have loved the plays Tennessee Williams had written and the movies based on them, so I went down the rabbit hole once again.  I found a lot in the wikipedia entry that explains much about the influence his family background and [same-sex love] played in his stories.  

 

Thanks, Terry. Just like the sanitized versions of his plays Hollywood put out, wiki no-doubt whitewashes much about the man and the easy position he had with himself as a Gay person. You'd do 1000000000% better to read the man himself in his Memoirs. And, as a bonus, you'll find it one the the best, most endearing autobiographies ever penned. Whatever medium that brilliant Saint Louisan turned to, he made it brilliant and entirely his own.     

https://archive.org/details/memoirswill00will

Edited by AC Benus
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

This is exquisitely beautiful, and heartbreaking too, knowing what will happen later. Thank you for posting this. 

Thank you, Parker. I find it's always a rewarding experience to dip into the work of Mr. Williams. Thanks for reading and commenting 

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I just ran into this great photo of Tom taken in the summer of 1940, exactly the time he was with Kip

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..