Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 939 Words
  • 2,676 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marco - 7. Chapter 7

Later that day, I stopped at the County offices to sign the papers and pick up a deed to the property. “Marco. I’ll have the papers on Monday. I need you to sign this agreement for the sewage, water, and electrical installations.”

I signed the papers, “Dave, I’ll have a certified check for you on Monday.”

That evening I called home and told them I bought a house. Mom wanted to know everything. Dad wanted to know if I needed any money. I told them I had to wait until Monday to get the deed. I knew I would see them this coming weekend.

Monday at lunchtime, I met Dave at the County offices and concluded my purchase of the Wight property. I signed contracts for the installation of sewage, water, and electricity.

With the keys to the gate and the house, I was anxious to see the interior of the house. I called Anne and told her I wouldn’t be in this afternoon. I had a home to explore.

Arriving at the gate, I tried the keys. They didn’t work. The keys were the correct keys, but the lock was rusted. The church pastor across the road came over when he saw me trying to open the gate.

“The only way you’ll get that gate to open is to cut off the lock. I’m sure by now it is so rusted that no key will open it.”

“Thanks, I figured that I would have to break the lock. My name is Marco Romano, and I just bought this property from the County.”

“I’m Richard Burry, the pastor of that church.”

The pastor was a friendly man, and so I ended up spending some time chatting with him about the property. “The Church was part of the land that belonged to the Wights. They deeded the land to the Church when the people living here wanted a church to meet in rather than a storefront. They use to meet at the Grange.”

“You wouldn’t have any old records of this site and particularly of the Wights.”

“I’m not sure. Mr. Wight was dead when I moved here. Mrs. Wight and the children were members of the Church. I’ll look, and if I find anything, I’ll let you know.”

Saying goodbye, I headed to town to buy a new lock for the gate.

When I arrived at the feed store, it was also the hardware store, as many of the farmers and ranchers needed supplies not found in a conventual hardware store like back home. “Jake, I need a new lock for my gate.”

“Marco, so it is true. You bought the old Wight’s p[lace.”

“Yes, and the lock on the gate is rusted.”

“Then you’ll need these cutting pliers as well. You are going to have to cut that old lock off.”

I took the cutting pliers and the new lock and headed back to the property. Using the cutting pliers, I snapped the old lock. I was getting excited, but now I found out I had a new problem. The hinges on the gate were rusted as well. There was no way I could move that gate. If I wanted to get on the property, I would need a way to get through that gate. I was holding the cutting pliers in my hand when I saw a rabbit squeeze through a hole in the fence. Laughing, I took the cutting pliers and made a hole in the gate, big enough for me to crawl through.

I took my time to walk up the hill to the house. As I got closer to the house, I became excited. Walking up the steps to the front porch, I had to take a few minutes to look over the city. The view was fantastic. I could see several buildings, even my office building. The school where I rented my apartment could be seen, but you had to know where to look.

I tried the front door, it was locked, and none of the keys worked. The windows were closed, and what appeared to be drapes prevented me from looking inside. If I were going to get inside, I would need a door that the keys I had would open.

Walking around to the back of the house, there was a small porch over a door. Looking around, there was an old fashion water pump and a barn that looked like it needed repairs. I checked the back door and the key fit, unlocking the door. Walking into a room, on the left side was two large washtubs; on the right side were shelves. There were no lights, but above the washtubs, there were two windows. They had drapes on them. I opened the drapes and let the light in. With the light from the window, I could see more clearly. Beside the shelves, there were several ceramic pots. I wondered what they were.

Walking into the next room, there was no light. I knew that there was no way I could explore this house without a flashlight. Walking back outside, I locked the back door. I tried the water pump to see if I could get any water, nothing. I went and checked out the barn, the frame seemed to be solid, but the roof had holes that provided some light. There was an old buggy in one corner.

To the left of the barn was a building, and that I knew the purpose of that building. I wasn’t going to open that door. I stood and looked over the land. There were some trees but mostly weeds.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 41
  • Love 17
  • Wow 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like the house id a veritable time capsule!

I am wondering what is the purpose of the building  to the left of the barn is, sounds like an outhouse perhaps??

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Interesting house it seems that it is of the last century, it is going to be one surprise after another I am sure

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Canuk said:

There's buying a house "sight unseen" and then there's Marco's way of doing it. Bloody stupid way; he literally has no idea.

It’s universal to refer to it as “buying” the house as it does involve payment and then claiming of the deed, but it is much different than market rate purchasing. The back taxes on that property, for only seven years, would be a faction of the value of the property so as to allow Marco plenty of leeway to restore or even tear down and rebuild the homestead itself.

Yet by payment of those taxes in many municipalities/states, the title is awarded free and clear of any other incumbencies; as all rights of title fall to the government when notice and attempts of collection failed. Any rights of ownership, or claims against such ownership, is forfeit after the notice periods; so no other liens or claims are valid against that property, by anyone other than the government holding the property in financial default.

So then that property is open for claim of ownership by anyone paying the accrued tax burdens; the net affect is that you’re buying the property, but often for pennies on the dollar.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am excited here... love anything old and ancient like this (maybe it's because it reminds me of me?). I would love to be with Marco as he explores, but as he has to get a torch it's bound to be tomorrow and I'll be back in work by that time, darn it! 

Would love to see the barn and the "Surrey with a Fringe on Top". I am totally enchanted with it all so far and loving it and Marco. Now, I be thinking here that it being ancient an' all there is bound to be a ghost or two and a right darn story to boot. Really looking forward to the next instalment. :thankyou:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

So the place has an outhouse.Geez I hope there is indoor plumbing.Why wouldn't he have keys to the front door?First thing on his to do list change the lock on the front door.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Marco has his house, but he's gonna need to have some things sorted before he can explore properly.

Yes, a flashlight at best

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Canuk said:

There's buying a house "sight unseen" and then there's Marco's way of doing it. Bloody stupid way; he literally has no idea.

No he doesn't. But he had a sixth sense about this house

  • Like 3
Link to comment
22 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Sounds like the house id a veritable time capsule!

I am wondering what is the purpose of the building  to the left of the barn is, sounds like an outhouse perhaps??

I think you are right. That is exactly what it is

  • Like 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting house it seems that it is of the last century, it is going to be one surprise after another I am sure

It was built in the 1800's. I'm sure it will hold a lot of surprises

  • Like 2
Link to comment
21 hours ago, Chris L said:

The joys of homeownership ... with an outhouse included! 😂 Marco definitely has  a lot of work cut out for him. Just wait till momma sees this!!! 

Yes, I'm sure there will be a few comments

  • Like 3
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Philippe said:

It’s universal to refer to it as “buying” the house as it does involve payment and then claiming of the deed, but it is much different than market rate purchasing. The back taxes on that property, for only seven years, would be a faction of the value of the property so as to allow Marco plenty of leeway to restore or even tear down and rebuild the homestead itself.

Yet by payment of those taxes in many municipalities/states, the title is awarded free and clear of any other incumbencies; as all rights of title fall to the government when notice and attempts of collection failed. Any rights of ownership, or claims against such ownership, is forfeit after the notice periods; so no other liens or claims are valid against that property, by anyone other than the government holding the property in financial default.

So then that property is open for claim of ownership by anyone paying the accrued tax burdens; the net affect is that you’re buying the property, but often for pennies on the dollar.

You must be a lawyer. You are correct. Value of the property alone is more than what he paid for back taxes.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Kev said:

I am excited here... love anything old and ancient like this (maybe it's because it reminds me of me?). I would love to be with Marco as he explores, but as he has to get a torch it's bound to be tomorrow and I'll be back in work by that time, darn it! 

Would love to see the barn and the "Surrey with a Fringe on Top". I am totally enchanted with it all so far and loving it and Marco. Now, I be thinking here that it being ancient an' all there is bound to be a ghost or two and a right darn story to boot. Really looking forward to the next instalment. :thankyou:

You will be surprised when you see what Marco finds

  • Like 2
Link to comment
17 hours ago, weinerdog said:

So the place has an outhouse.Geez I hope there is indoor plumbing.Why wouldn't he have keys to the front door?First thing on his to do list change the lock on the front door.

In 1800 there was no indoor plumbing, the out house was the bathroom. He needs to change all the locks

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..