Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,629 Words
  • 2,236 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marco - 9. Chapter 9

Friday, I went to work. Anne already knew that they were going to start the trench on Monday. “Mr. Edwards was telling everyone over at the feed store about the oak furniture in your house.”

I chuckled, “Is there a newspaper in this town? Because if there is, it must be a Sunday-only issue. News travels too fast to have a daily paper.”

I couldn’t wait for 5 pm. I was anxious to get home. Mom and Dad were arriving soon, and I needed to ensure their bedroom was ready for them.

I arrived home at 5:30, and when I walked into my apartment, the aroma of spaghetti sauce hit my nose. Mom and Dad beat me home. “I didn’t expect you until six at the earliest.”

“Your mom was in a hurry. We left at seven this morning, stopping only for coffee. She even had sandwiches packed so we could eat while driving.”

“There aren’t any lights, but I do have a lantern that we can use if you want to see the house tonight.”

“We can wait until tomorrow. I’m looking forward to a good night’s sleep.”

So it was decided we would have supper and early to bed. We would tour the house tomorrow. I’m not sure my mom bought into that plan, but I think she went along with it as it was Dad’s plan.

I woke to the smell of coffee. Living by myself, I got out of bed and headed to the bathroom. I saw dad leaving the bathroom. He looked at me. “You need to wear a robe when we are here.”

I realized I was naked. That was the way I slept since high school. I rushed back to my room and put pair of shorts on. As I left my room, Mom had a cup of coffee and was taking it to their room for Dad. I knew her seeing me naked wasn’t a big deal, but Dad was right. I need not walk around naked when I had guests.

Breakfast was like being home again. I chuckled. We sat the same way as we did at home. I sat between my mom and dad on the same side of the table. I always wondered what would happen if we had a square table where we had to sit across from each other. When you are away from home, you tend to forget the little things you took for granted. Sitting in the kitchen brought to mind things we did as a family when I was in school.

I could see Mom and Dad were anxious to see the house. Mom took our plates as soon as the last fork full went into our mouths. Dad turned down the second cup of coffee. I told them we would leave as soon as I brushed my teeth. Dad was at the door, and Mom was putting the plates in the wire rack to dry. I chuckled as I left the bathroom. Dad must have opened the door as soon as he heard the water turned off. Mom was in the hall waiting.

I stopped at the feed store and picked up two more lanterns. “There aren’t any lights, so we will need these.”

Arriving at the house, I noted that the gate was removed. This allowed me to park the car inside the gate. Mom was the first one out of the car. She couldn’t wait to see the inside of the house.

Dad and I chuckled as she moved quickly to the front porch. Two boys were sitting on the steps.

“Hi guys, how can I help you?”

“My name is Billy, and this is my friend Jimmy. We were wondering if you were going to hire someone to cut the grass?”

“Yes, probably will. Are you volunteering your service?”

“Well, not volunteering, but we can cut you grass for 10 dollars.”

I smiled. I’m sure that they think it’s only the grass around the house. “So you will cut all of my grass for 10 dollars.” They nodded yes. “You do know that there are five acres of grass that will need to be cut.”

They looked at each other, and I could see that they didn’t realize the amount of grass needed to be cut. “How about this? I’ll pay you 25 dollars a week to cut all of my grass.”

They said they needed to think it over.

“Marco, 25 dollars seems like a bargain for cutting the grass on 5 acres.”

“Dad, I was thinking of buying a riding mower. It would take two days to cut all the grass with a push mower.”

I watched Mom as she tried to open the front door. She looked at me, “The door is locked.”

“Yes, it needs to be opened from the inside. I think the lock is rusted or broken. I’ll need to replace it.”

“Marco, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace all of the locks.”

Dad and I walked to the back of the house, and I opened the door. As I was about to enter, I was brushed aside as Mom pushed past me. “A little anxious, Mom?” Dad was laughing.

“Marco, come and turn on the light.”

“Mom, there is no electricity. That is why I bought the lamps.” When Dad and I came into the room where Mom was standing, I turned on the light, and that was when Mom saw the shelves with the food and the porcelain buckets

I watched as she picked up one of the jars and was going to open it.” \Mom, wait. I don’t know if that is any good. Here take this light, and you can explorer the house.”

She was smiling as she headed into the kitchen. Dad and I followed. The only difference, we stopped to admire the craft of the woodwork.

“The man who built this house was a master craftsman. I have never seen wood cabinets like these. There isn’t a nail in any of it. It looks like he dovetailed everything together.”

“Wait until you see the living and dining rooms. Everything is made with oak.”

Looking at the fireplaces, “You need to get the chimneys cleaned. They are probably full of soot and any debris.”

“I’ll check with Jake, and he’ll probably know someone who can clean the chimneys.”

“Where’s your mother?”

“Probably upstairs picking out your bedroom.” Dad laughed

Walking upstairs, Dad started to call for mom.

She was in one of the bedrooms. Walking into the bedroom where we heard her voice, “Mom, is this going to be your bedroom?”

“Marco, there is no bathroom up here.”

“Mom, the bathroom is outside.” Now, dad started to laugh. Mom looked at him with darts in her eyes.

“Marie, they didn’t have bathrooms when they built this house. I’ll bet there is an old fashion outhouse outside.”

“Marco, you can’t stay here without a bathroom.”

“Mom, people have lived here for many years without indoor plumbing. If they can live here, so can I.”

Dad just laughed, went downstairs, and brought one of the porcelain buckets up. He set it in the room, “This is the indoor plumbing they used.”

Mom went to hit him. He ducked and then left laughing.

“Mom, there are a lot of linens here for the beds. Can you check them and see if I can use them. I noticed several; handmade quilts.”

I went to meet up with Dad. He was outside by the pump. “Marco, I think we will need to prime this pump to get it to work.”

“How much water will we need?”

“Since the pump has been idle for quite a few years, I’d get a 50-gallon drum of water. That should be enough.”

“What if there isn’t any water to pump.”

“This rope seems okay. Let’s drop the bucket down until there is slack in the rope. Then we will pull up the bucket, and if the bottom is wet, then there is water.”

That is what we did, and when we pulled the bucket up, the bottom was wet. “You have water. We need to prime the pump.

“Have you checked out the basement?”

“I don’t know if there is a basement, and I didn’t see any way to get in if there is one. The house was built on stone, which you can see.”

“Let’s look.”

Dad and I started to check the stones. “Marco, the house was built on a hill. Therefore to make sure the house is level, the basement walls would follow the ground. Let’s follow the hill to the lowest point.”

That’s what we did. I counted eight of the stones when we were at the front of the house. We found the most rocks above ground in the right corner. Dad tried to move the stones.

“Marco, we need a shovel. These rocks are loose. I’ll bet we can get under the house.”

“I’ll bring a shovel over after lunch. I need to stop at Jakes and get a metal drum for water.”

Dad and I walked to the outhouse and the barn. “I think if I check the roof, this will make a good garage and tool shed.”

“You can get a horse for that old buggy.”

“I know nothing about taking care of a horse.”

“I’ll bet those kids do.”

“Here comes Mom. It must be close to lunch.”

“There are several quilts I’d like to take home and see if I can get them cleaned.”

“We’re ready to go back to the apartment for lunch. I’ll help you carry them to the car.”

“Marco, you need to put a bathroom in the house. Those pots aren’t that comfortable to use.”

I heard Dad laughing.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 13
  • Haha 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awesome chapter, mom's seems to be in her element, dad is amazed by the craftsmanship, we are in for a really good ride through the renovations with utmost sympathy with the house

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

First and most important is that Marco needs to get a master carpenter out there to evaluate how to professionally craft this into this time capsule country mansion. He needs to best ways properly planned out to modernize the electrical switching and lighting, and then likewise for the plumbing.

You don’t want a general plumber or electrician knocking and chopping holes just to install a functioning switch or faucet. That will be a disaster of modernization; much like tacking wiring and conduits to the walls just to bring the services in but with no regard for the craftsmanship desired or needed to make it look like it was originally planned those many decades ago.

As to modernization with of all the comforts of present day, a well planned and matching design and material addition may be the best way to add the wet rooms and utility closets without sacrificing a room that was obviously not designed for those appliances; air conditioning air handler, water heater, boiler, and laundry are probably needed in addition to nice bathrooms.

Even if staying time period appropriate standing tubs and standing sinks with time appropriate fixtures, the modern sizing, spacing, flooring and drainage could be better designed if an additional room can be fashioned into the exterior elevation and a convenient floor plan. This allows the original house to remain mostly intact but allows the modern materials necessary for good wet room construction and mold prevention to be incorporated into a matching design with proper lighting and windows for privacy.

This could be a very exciting project to match the craftsmanship but with modern materials and comforts so mom…can flush!

An excellent set of suggestions @Philippe, and hopefully Marco is wise enough to see the work done in this manner. The thought of an addition, reflecting the original design of the house is spot on! 

My only suggestion to that, would be to ensure it is of two stories so you have the ability to 'flush' and shower on the second floor!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter. Trust Mum to want a bathroom installed, I'm sure Marco  will find someway of having one installed without spoiling the house.

He will, and it'll have a cold shower

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, weinerdog said:

This place is the ultimate fixer-upper. Those kids work fast I bet they will be around to help for other projects around the house

There shouldn't be much inside. The grounds, barn will need the most

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Marco will have his hands full updating the house without changing the look of the interior, god bless his mom, she sure is on a mission!!!

He should hire someone to help him to update the interior without destroying the craftsmanship work

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Philippe said:

First and most important is that Marco needs to get a master carpenter out there to evaluate how to professionally craft this into this time capsule country mansion. He needs to best ways properly planned out to modernize the electrical switching and lighting, and then likewise for the plumbing.

You don’t want a general plumber or electrician knocking and chopping holes just to install a functioning switch or faucet. That will be a disaster of modernization; much like tacking wiring and conduits to the walls just to bring the services in but with no regard for the craftsmanship desired or needed to make it look like it was originally planned those many decades ago.

As to modernization with of all the comforts of present day, a well planned and matching design and material addition may be the best way to add the wet rooms and utility closets without sacrificing a room that was obviously not designed for those appliances; air conditioning air handler, water heater, boiler, and laundry are probably needed in addition to nice bathrooms.

Even if staying time period appropriate standing tubs and standing sinks with time appropriate fixtures, the modern sizing, spacing, flooring and drainage could be better designed if an additional room can be fashioned into the exterior elevation and a convenient floor plan. This allows the original house to remain mostly intact but allows the modern materials necessary for good wet room construction and mold prevention to be incorporated into a matching design with proper lighting and windows for privacy.

This could be a very exciting project to match the craftsmanship but with modern materials and comforts so mom…can flush!

If I bought the house, I'd rather change my style of living than bring the home to the 21st century. But then I prefer the simple life of the early 1900's. I have used the out house and those pails growing up

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, mom's seems to be in her element, dad is amazed by the craftsmanship, we are in for a really good ride through the renovations with utmost sympathy with the house

I think Dad appreciates the house more than Mom

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, drsawzall said:

An excellent set of suggestions @Philippe, and hopefully Marco is wise enough to see the work done in this manner. The thought of an addition, reflecting the original design of the house is spot on! 

My only suggestion to that, would be to ensure it is of two stories so you have the ability to 'flush' and shower on the second floor!

I think you will be surprised what Marco does

  • Like 2
Link to comment
35 minutes ago, Kev said:

Now I'll be heading to bed with the vision of Mum using a porcelain pot...🤢 

Still looking forward to see what they find when they move those stones, surely there had to be a cellar, weren't they called root cellars to store veg in the winter?

Definitely a restoration project but for goodness sake... KEEP MUM off those pots!! 

Yes , they were called root cellars and I think there Is one there as well

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, CLJobe said:

If I bought the house, I'd rather change my style of living than bring the home to the 21st century. But then I prefer the simple life of the early 1900's. I have used the out house and those pails growing up

Hmmm 🤔, I’ve toted water from an outside well, to heat on the potbelly stove, to then bath in the #3 wash tub in the kitchen as it was the warmest for winter baths; summer baths were on the back porch, at least for rinsing. Yup, I burned my butt(ocks) while bending and bathing next to that stove…ouch!

The use of the “honey pot, slop jar, porcelain pot, etc” was avoided unless the pain of dumping and cleaning was less than the cold run to the outhouse on a dark winter’s night…yuck 🤢  or double yuck 🤮 for a little tike. God forbid as a little tike you either fell back into or tumbled that small rimmed pot forward! Triple yuck 🤮 🤮 🤮 . My older brothers would hold the pot (and their breaths) to avoid the bedroom nuclear spills or late night #3 tub, toted water, baths.

So as fond as my memories of country living are…I WOULD UPGRADE! 😝 Though I would keep the water well functioning and the city water/sewage usage at a minimum; fresh, cold, hearty well water with natural minerals is just irreplaceable.

I’d personally keep the outhouse too but with a little modernization there also. Perhaps hand pumped water into a porcelain wash basin on the outer wall, that then drains(flushes) into the inside porcelain bowl via a spout; this outhouse can be connected to the septic or sewer to avoid having to relocate it or relocating the waste pit.

Just reminiscing but also thinking simple semi-retro home engineering.

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Chris L said:

Momma had to pee. Kohler will be in that house before nightfall!

Nah, she will make sure she goes before visiting the house

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Philippe said:

Hmmm 🤔, I’ve toted water from an outside well, to heat on the potbelly stove, to then bath in the #3 wash tub in the kitchen as it was the warmest for winter baths; summer baths were on the back porch, at least for rinsing. Yup, I burned my butt(ocks) while bending and bathing next to that stove…ouch!

The use of the “honey pot, slop jar, porcelain pot, etc” was avoided unless the pain of dumping and cleaning was less than the cold run to the outhouse on a dark winter’s night…yuck 🤢  or double yuck 🤮 for a little tike. God forbid as a little tike you either fell back into or tumbled that small rimmed pot forward! Triple yuck 🤮 🤮 🤮 . My older brothers would hold the pot (and their breaths) to avoid the bedroom nuclear spills or late night #3 tub, toted water, baths.

So as fond as my memories of country living are…I WOULD UPGRADE! 😝 Though I would keep the water well functioning and the city water/sewage usage at a minimum; fresh, cold, hearty well water with natural minerals is just irreplaceable.

I’d personally keep the outhouse too but with a little modernization there also. Perhaps hand pumped water into a porcelain wash basin on the outer wall, that then drains(flushes) into the inside porcelain bowl via a spout; this outhouse can be connected to the septic or sewer to avoid having to relocate it or relocating the waste pit.

Just reminiscing but also thinking simple semi-retro home engineering.

I have been privilege to experience these marvels of the early 1900's. I think Marco will solve the problem of indoor plumbing. Having electrical service will help.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Really old home renovations were something my great-grandfather,  grandfather and uncle did. From the late 1800's up to the October 24th 1929 stock market crash and into the late 1940's.

Great-GrandPapa was as engineer / contractor / draftsman / inventor (designed and built super-insulated Ice Houses in the prairies providing ice blocks for 'ice boxes' year round). They also designed and built super-insulated 'air tight' homes for the 'well off'. Some of these homes remain and have been certified as being more energy efficient than Leeds Platinum standards of today.  

Anyway, some of their retrofits of homes like the Wight house (no pun intended) to bring indoor plumbing and 'knob and tube' electrical into vintage homes. They'd usually use a large closet on a 2nd floor that was normally over the main floor pantry. That allowed for a common 'run' for plumbing and electrical straight to a cellar that had a coal or wood chute. As Master engineers, craftsmen and builders they could incorporate these 'utilities' into existing walls, floors and ceiling without anyone the wiser, in a time when 'lath and plaster' was the standard.  10 years ago I toured an 1850 house they retrofitted in 1920 and updated in 1949 and couldn't find where the works were hidden, until it was pointed out. 

I'm certain Marco has access to people with similar skills.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..