Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 835 Words
  • 2,240 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Marco - 8. Chapter 8

I headed home, trying to imagine what the inside of that house looked like. There was no doubt in my mind that there were no modern convinces. I stopped at the feed store to return the cutting pliers.

“Were you able to get onto the property?”

“Yes, the cutter removed the lock, but the gate was rusted closed. So I use the cutter to cut a hole in the gate so I could crawl through. Now I need a flashlight so that I can check out the interior of the house.”

“This is what you need. It will light up the whole room. They use this lantern on the ranches.”

I bought the lantern that Jake recommended. When I got home, I turned off all of the lights and turned the switch on the lantern to the on position., It worked. The lantern-lit the room as if I hadn’t turned the lights off. Now I wanted to go back and checked the interior of the house. Just as I was leaving, Mom called to tell me they were coming over and will arrive on Friday evening.

Now I had a decision to make, do I go and inspect the home alone and then again when Mom and Dad arrive. I would go alone.

With the lantern, I headed back out to the house. Crawling through the gate, I headed for the back door. Entering the room, I turned on the lantern. With the light, I saw what was on the shelf. There were jars of canned vegetables, primarily tomatoes, and corn. There were a few jars of what looked like jelly and fruit preserves. I wondered if any of it would be good to eat. The big surprise was the kitchen. It looked like I stepped out of history. There was an icebox, a wood stove, and a pump at the sink. The cupboards were made out of oak, and the floor, walls, and a kitchen table and chairs were also made from oak. There was a window over the sink, I removed the drape.

Now I was anxious to see the rest of the house. Leaving the kitchen, I was in a foyer. Facing the front door, there were doors on my right and left. When I opened the door on my right, it was a coat closet. There were remnants of two coats hanging on wooden pegs. Opening the door on my left led to a living room with a fireplace. Again the floor and walls were made of oak. A hanging oil lantern chandelier was in the middle of the room. A door at the far end of the room led to a dining room with six chairs and another chandelier over the table.

Walking back into the living room, there was a staircase leading to the second floor. A hallway ran across the front of the house. As I walked toward the end, I removed the drapes on the windows letting the light in. At the end of the hall, the was another hall at a right angle. Walking down that hall, there were doors on the left and right sides. I opened the first door, and it was a bedroom. Checking the other doors on the side of the hall, they were bedrooms. At the end of the hall was a door that was a stairway to the attic.

Mr, Wight, must have been an excellent carpenter. Everything was made out of oak, and wiping the walls with my hand. The finish was smooth and seemed to have a gleam when I showed the light on the spot I had wiped the dust away. I couldn’t wait to occupy this house. It had a homey feeling to it.

Each day until Mom and Dad showed up, I spent my time cleaning. Thursday, a contractor showed up at my office. He wanted to discuss when to start digging a trench for laying pipe to connect to the county sewage system. We agreed I would meet him at the property that evening at 5:30.

When I drove up, the gate had been removed. I parked my car in the Church’s parking lot. I walked up to the house and sat on the front porch waiting for the contractor. I saw his pickup coming. The house being built on the hill allowed me to see quite a distance. As his truck approached, I walked to where the gate would have been.

“Good evening, I saw you were coming, and I thought I would meet you here, and we can walk back to the house.”

He had a measuring device that he rolled along our walk to the house. “Does this house have a basement?”

“I don’t know. The house was built on stone, and you can see that.”

“We can install the meters on the side of the house, but if you plan on having water and electric in the house, you’ll need to have a basement or at least a crawl space.”

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 39
  • Love 9
  • Wow 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm probably going to use the wrong word here but you probably know what I'm referring to.Could he get some kind of antique appraiser to look at the furniture maybe something in there is valuable to someone

  • Like 4
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mikedup said:

Interesting developments, it seems that the house is really made to last ,it just needs some serious updating, I wonder if there is a crawl space hidden away

If you think about it building a house on a hill, you would have to excavate under the house to have a flat floor.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Canuk said:

Sounds like an amazing find! Attaching in to modern "necessities" like water, sewer and electricity will need to be done carefully if he wants not to destroy some of the charm. A great project!

Yes, it will have to be done extremely carefully in order not to destroy the craftsman ship

  • Like 5
Link to comment
10 hours ago, drsawzall said:

I'm willing to bet that there's a full basement under the house! If it was built as described then it would only make sense!! Wondering about the original source of heat for the colder months, many older homes of that era had coal or wood cellars!

I think they used the fireplaces for heat. The wood stove in the kitchen would supply heat as well.There was no heat in the bedrooms

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

The house sounds like a museum, he shouldn't do anything that will spoil it.

I don't think he will

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, weinerdog said:

I'm probably going to use the wrong word here but you probably know what I'm referring to.Could he get some kind of antique appraiser to look at the furniture maybe something in there is valuable to someone

You could and he should at least for insurance

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chris L said:

A little Lemon Pledge and this place will be looking better than the Taj Mahal! :) 

and some elbow grease

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Pledge all the way... I'm doing the cleaning of my flat on Sunday, so I could lend him a hand on say next Tuesday if he can wait. Looking forward to what mum thinks about it when she sees it. I wonder who took the gate???

It may sound like a museum but a little friendly restoration will work wonders as you can get period kitchens and have all of the appliances build in so that they are out of sight. I would love him to have a kitchen with one of those Victorian porcelain sinks. I'll do the washing up all of the time in one of them. Love them and loving this story. :thankyou:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, Kev said:

Pledge all the way... I'm doing the cleaning of my flat on Sunday, so I could lend him a hand on say next Tuesday if he can wait. Looking forward to what mum thinks about it when she sees it. I wonder who took the gate???

It may sound like a museum but a little friendly restoration will work wonders as you can get period kitchens and have all of the appliances build in so that they are out of sight. I would love him to have a kitchen with one of those Victorian porcelain sinks. I'll do the washing up all of the time in one of them. Love them and loving this story. :thankyou:

I think you still can buy porcelain kitchen sinks in this country and I'm sure in England a well. I think the contractor took the gate.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 9/9/2021 at 10:40 AM, CLJobe said:

I think you still can buy porcelain kitchen sinks in this country and I'm sure in England a well. I think the contractor took the gate.

Yes you can buy porcelain sinks here in England, they come in various shapes and sizes 

Edited by Bft
  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..