Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 3,393 Words
  • 4,399 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Struggling Forward - 12. Planning the Big Day

Struggling Forward

Planning the Big Day:

Kyle and Blu were laying in bed since it was chilly Saturday morning and Blu had the day off work. Kyle snuggled into Blu’s side, “Babe, I was thinking, do you mind if I ask Kaleb to be my best man?”

“Of course not, I think you should ask your brother, especially since I’ll be busy that day,” Blu snickered.

Kyle smiled as he kissed Blu, “You’re the best, I love you so much.”

“I’m going to ring Brandon later today, see if he doesn’t mind me asking Davis,” Blu said a little sadly, “Did you want to include Chris somehow? What about Liv and Charlie?”

Kyle scratched his head, “I guess it would be nice to have them included, we’ll have to think about it.”

“Yeah, I think we should,” Blu smiled.

                                                                                                 *****         

The boys waited for Kaleb to get home from school since his class ran late, they were all going to the restaurant Kaleb works at for dinner. Kaleb came in the door, and Khan chased him through the house sniffing Kaleb’s uniform while drooling like a fiend. After showering Kaleb came back downstairs pulling his jacket on, while everybody hurried out the door to make their reservation time.

Kaleb schmoozed with the other staff as they were seated at a cozy corner table. The waitress brought the guys each a glass of ice water while they browsed the menu. Kaleb was all smiles, “Everything is delicious I recommend the Cajun rubbed ribeye, with the garlic smashed potatoes.”

“I’ll have that,” Blu said giving his menu to the waitress.

“What’s that dish you were telling me about on Monday Leb, I want that,” Davis said quietly to Kaleb.

“Was that the Crab stuffed Cod baked in orange juice reduction?” Kaleb asked as he tried to remember.

“Yeah, that was it, I’ll have that,” He told Kaleb.

Kaleb ordered Davis’s dinner for him and also ordered a rare Cajun ribeye for himself, “What are you having, Kyle?”

I’m having the Langoustine Lobster Pot with the smashed garlic potatoes,” Kyle said to the waitress, and Kaleb smiled giving his brother a nod of approval.

Blu put his hand on Kyle’s thigh, “Oh Kaleb, a Mrs. Wentworth, called for you on your phone while you two were playing tonsil hockey in the shower. She’s from the DAR, wants you to call her tomorrow sometime. She waffled on about your cooking for twenty people next week or some crap. The number and her name are on the whiteboard next to the fridge.

“How the hell did she get my number? I don’t even know her.” Kaleb shrugged his shoulders.

“No clue, maybe she knows Jackie. One thing I have learned about Jackie if she likes you, word spreads around town like a raging fire,” Kyle smiled, “She might have money and all of the connections that go with it, but she’s a really kind lady.”

Blu grinned, “Don’t knock it, Kaleb, money is money, and you’ll be making a name for yourself. That’s how the chef thing works right. At the rate you’ve been getting jobs, you’ll leave school with a catering business already operational with a good reputation. That must feel good right?”

Kaleb smiled shyly, “I hope you guys are both right.” Kaleb fidgeted with the cloth napkin, “thanks for supporting my decision to switch to Culinary Arts.”

“You know I’ll always have your back Kaleb,” Kyle smirked as he leaned closer toward his brother, “I just never wanna see either of your two asses naked on the washer again,” Blu smirked, slipping his hand higher, further on the inside of Kyle’s thigh, letting his pinky finger run up and down Kyle’s length.

The food was sat in front of the guys, “Could we please get a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc?” Blu asked the waitress.

She winked at Kaleb, “Sure,” leaning in she said quietly, “Two wine glasses and two coffee mugs?”

Thanks, Christie,” Kaleb smiled slipping a five dollar bill in her hand that rested on the table.

“Anytime handsome,” Christie winked at Davis this time and sauntered off with her hips swishing side to side. A lot of eyes around the restaurant were plastered to that behind, funnily enough not anyone from their table though.

Christie came back to the table with the wine and the designated glasses, “Here you boys go if you need anything else just wave me down,” Christie smiled and gave Kaleb wink as she went about her business. Bnnnnnnnnn Kaleb smirked, he’d only mentioned he had an older brother never how old his brother was, Christie the waitress had assumed he was over twenty-one. Therefore, she hadn’t bothered to card Kyle or Blu. Kyle poured the wine between the four of them, leaving enough in the bottle for Blu to have a top up since Kyle was driving.

“Does she know your gay?” Davis asked Kaleb with his eyebrow raised, “That you have a boyfriend who is sitting right next to you?” the smile on Davis’s face took the venom out of the questions.

Kaleb laughed, “Of course she knows I’m gay, and that I’m in love with you. I’ve shown everybody your picture why do you think she winked at you? I won’t deny who I am or risk losing you.”

Davis leaned over his hand cupping Kaleb’s cheek, “I love you too,” then kissed his boyfriend.

The boys ate quietly, the food to good to waste getting cold. They shared little tidbits, general stuff that was going on, such as their school, classes, and work schedules.

“I think I’ve eaten enough so I won’t need another meal until next Friday,” Blu leaned back rubbing his belly.

Kyle wiped his face with his napkin and set it aside, “Kaleb you’re not only my brother, but you are my best friend beside Blu of course.” Kyle smiled at Blu and focused back on Kaleb, “I would like it if you would agree to be my best man at the wedding.”

Kaleb sat in his chair quietly with tears threatening to break free at any moment. After Kaleb got his emotions under control he wiped his eyes with the palms of his hands, “I’d be honored to be your best man Kyle, you’ve always been my best friend growing up too.”

Kyle stood up and walked over to Kaleb pulling him outta the chair and into a brotherly hug, “Love you, Kaleb,” Kyle said quietly into his ear and Kaleb nodded his head with a quiet sob.

Blu smiled at Kyle as he sat beside him, “You okay Blondie?” Blu whispered in his ear quietly.

Kyle sniffled, “Ya, I’m okay, our family has been through a lot of good changes in the last year and a half.”

Blu kissed Kyle again quickly, then turned his focus to Davis, “Davis, we’ve always been family, but now that we live together, we’ve become close. I would like it if you would be my best man?”

Davis went to talk, then cleared his throat, “What about Brandon?”

The question felt like a ton of bricks, “I spoke with Brandon earlier today, I called to ask if he minded you being my best man. He was more than happy that I had chosen you,” Blu told Davis, Brandon had also told Blu that he was being deployed overseas in four days. His best friend was unsure how long he would be gone, he may not even make it back in time for the wedding.

“I would love to be your best man Blu, thank you. Are you sure you want me, did Brandon not want to do it?” Davis asked concerned.

“I didn’t ask him, Bud, I only talked to him about it because I had wanted you,” Blu smiled warmly.

“Thank you Blu,” Davis stood up, prompting Blu, the two boys hugged quickly.

Davis sat back down, “I’m going to see him tomorrow anyway, you don’t mind if I ask him myself?”

“Of course not, if it would make you more comfortable with my decision, you should talk to him about it.”

Kyle motioned Christie over and paid the bill before they slipped their jackets on and headed toward the parking lot. The four boys walked to the car, Kyle and Davis walked ahead talking about some band who had released a new album. Blu pulled Kaleb next to him.

“Just quickly Kaleb, make sure you go with Davis tomorrow to see his brother, he’s going to need you,” Blu said in a hushed tone.

Kaleb looked at Davis who was laughing with Kyle, “Is everything ok?”

“Yeah… nah, well it depends on your view of things I suppose. I can’t tell you because it’s not up to me, but I know he isn’t going to take this news very well. Please look after him, if you don’t think he can drive, stay at Mom and Dads,” Blu pleaded with Kaleb.

Kaleb nudged Blu’s shoulder, “I’ll look after Davis, he’s everything to me…” Kaleb’s voice wavered.

“Thank you, Kaleb,” Blu squeezed Kaleb's shoulder.

*****

Kyle and Blu were snuggled up on the couch watching Steel Magnolia’s on some movie channel when Nan thundered through the front door like a typhoon leaving a path of destruction, “Hi Nan, nice to see you too can you please give me the remote back?” Kyle chuckled.

“Nah, why are you watching this sappy crap,” Nan said changing the channel to horse racing.

Kyle smiled and breathed heavily into Blu’s ear, “She doesn’t know sappy stuff gets your motor running,” Kyle squeezed Blu’s thigh since Nan was busy flipping through channels as fast as lightning.

Blu pushed Kyle onto his back on the couch, climbing over the top of him, their lips crushed together.

“Woop, woop, git ya some!” Nan screamed out causing Kaleb to come out from the kitchen.

“You yell at us for getting it on in the laundry room when nobody is in there but us, and here you are doing it right in front of innocent little Nan. You should both be ashamed of yourselves corrupting her,” Kaleb admonished the pair with a straight face and turned rushing out of the room before he broke out in laughter.

“Blu, get off of Kyle, take it up to your room,” Doug snapped at Blu, who looked up to see Doug’s annoyed face and stance.

“Okay,” Blu panted and slid off of Kyle and on to his feet, pulling Kyle with him. As the boys run upstairs, Kaleb yelled out that dinner would be ready in half hour.

The doorbell rang stopping Blu and Kyle in their tracks, Doug walked below staring at the two of them, “Now it’s only twenty-nine, go, I’ve got the door,” the two lovebirds continued to their room at the speed of light.

Doug opened the door to find Liv, Charlie, Chris, and his girlfriend, “Come on through Kaleb is in the kitchen, Davis should be home from work any minute.”

“Thanks, Doug,” Chris said, “This is my girlfriend, Steph. Steph this is Doug, Blu’s Dad,” Chris had his hand on the small of Steph’s back.

“Nice to meet you, Doug,” Steph said softly.

“You too, sweetie, come through and I’ll introduce you to Mom and Nan,” Dough chortled, “Watch the old one she gets handsy and has no filter.”

The girls and Chris snickered, Steph looked at all four of them warily, “Okay.”

Doug shuffled the foursome through to the kitchen stopping at the couch to quickly introduce Nan, who was more interested in her betting tickets laid out on the coffee table. Now that she had the television to herself she had spread out and taken over the room.

“Mom,” Doug said once he entered the kitchen, “the kids are here,” Lily’s face brightened up seeing the girls.

“Hi there, oh my, they are multiplying Doug, who is this pretty one?” Lily said as she hugged the other three.

Blu and Kyle walked into the kitchen looking a little disheveled, as Doug was introducing Steph to his wife.

“Sweet, Red is here,” Blu said moving quickly to hug Steph, “you really do give the best hugs,” Blu said while Chris tried to break the hug between Blu and his girlfriend.

“Really,” Doug said taking Steph from Blu and hugging her, “Wow, you’re right Blu, she does give the best hugs.”

Davis entered the kitchen into the fray, “Kaleb gives the best hugs,” he said taking Chris’s girlfriend in his arms, “Aww, yep she really does give the best hugs.”

Kaleb threw the dishtowel he held, at Davis, “No way.” Kaleb walked over pulling Steph into a hug, “Hmm, she’s a damn fine hugger Chris,” Chris shot Kaleb the bird and a nasty look.

Chris walked over to Steph and grabbed Kaleb’s arm from across her shoulders, “Ok enough groping my girlfriend people,” Chris wrapped his arm protectively around her while Steph giggled and blushed.

Blu clapped his hands together, “Let’s set the table since Kaleb has slaved away at this dinner,” he said loud enough that he could be heard over the crowd, pinching Kyle on the butt, winking at him, as he hopped and made a little squeak at the sudden advance.

The crowd spread out getting all the utensils, condiments, cutlery, and China they would need to set the table, with everyone having a job it was done in less than thirty seconds. The boys helped Kaleb bring the buffet of food he had cooked into to the dining room while they insisted the ladies sit down. Once everything was laid out, Kaleb ran back to the kitchen to make sure everything was turned off. Doug brought in three pitchers with water, lemonade, and sweet tea. The savagery began, trays and bowls of food being passed every which way. Lily sat with a smile on her face while the others plated their dinners.

“You okay Mom,” Blu asked concerned.

“Just happy baby boy,” Lily answered, to which Blu smiled.

It had been a long time since Lily had the feeling her family was an actual family, she loved this new family with all of the kids. Doug squeezed his wife's hand kissing his wife on the temple, “Eat up love, the scavengers won’t leave anything.”

The ladies all insisted they clear off the table, Davis and Kyle got up to help clean the kitchen. Not that there was much to do, Kaleb had been getting the balance between cooking and cleaning down to an art. At the end of most meals, there was usually only the plates with maybe one pot to be cleaned. Kaleb brought in an apple crumble in with a jug of custard, a bowl of fresh whipped cream, along with a small tub of ice cream.

“All right Mom show us what you’ve got in mind for these two shit-heads,” Kaleb said, Davis passed him a bowl with dessert in it.

Lily opened an enormous folder in the middle of the table, “Okay, we were thinking a nice big archway covered in white and soft yellow flowers, for you to get married under,” she looked around the table.

“That sound acceptable, I’m not sure on yellow flowers,” Kyle smiled, “Maybe, Orange Tiger Lillies and Blue Iris mixed with Yellow Tulips for the colors along with a creeping ivy.

Blu rest his head on Kyle’s shoulder, “I like the sound of that Blondie,” Blu muttered.

“Got it,” Nan yelled scaring everyone at the table as she wrote down what Kyle had said.

“Are you boys going to wear a tux?” Liv asked curiously.

“I want to, I think it would look nice when we see our photo’s, in later years, as well the ones around the house,” Blu answered looking into the eyes of his fiancee waiting for his approval.

Kyle nodded his head, “That sounds fine Babe, but I think after the pictures we should both change into Khaki's and matching Polo’s since we are having a picnic type reception.”

“Ah, the picnic,” Lily said, “how should we set it up, I was thinking long tables, a buffet table, we could have an ice sculpture, ooh do you think you’d like to release doves at the ceremony,” she said excitedly.

Doug frowned at his wife, she glared at her husband and continued on, “We could put centerpieces on the tables with flowers matching the ones on the archway…”

“Honey,” Doug sighed, “this is starting to sound extravagant…”

“No, it’s not, who are you going to have cater this Blu?” Lily kept on, the speed of which she spoke increased the more ideas she threw out. Almost to the point she was no longer breathing as her words wafted into the air.

“Mom,” Kyle held up his hand trying to be respectful, “We are going simple, and Kaleb is catering the reception. We love you and appreciate all of yours and Nan’s hard work.”

“Sorry Kyle,” Lily apologized sadly, “I just want it to be special for you.”

“The entire day will be special, I’m marrying your son, the love of my life,” Kyle reached over squeezing Blu’s hand, “Plus all of our family will be there with us.”

“I promise Mom, we will be happy with the red, white, checkered picnic blankets, picnic baskets for each one, maybe four to a blanket. It will still be intimate, special, and exactly what we want. Low key, with the band in the background. We’ll still be able to dance if we want to, have the speeches, all the traditional things but it will be picturesque. I agree with Kyle, as long as we get married, and all of you are there, that’s all we really care about,” Blu reached out to his Mom.

“It sounds nice love, listen to the boys, love,” Doug said softly to his wife, trying to comfort her, “they aren’t fancy, they’re simple guys, with simple tastes. I think the day suits them. Besides, we had the huge wedding, we hated it, nothing was enjoyable it was all hurry up and wait all day. This sounds perfect, and everyone can have a great time enjoying themselves.”

Nan got an impish smile on her face and plopped penis sucker on a glow stick on the table, “We could have these in the pic-a-nic baskets, they’d be fun for dessert, or to just practice on.”

“Uh…” Kyle snatched the sucker off the table, “We won’t be using these but thanks, Nan,” Kyle rolled his eyes when he looked at Blu. His fiancee ripped the sucker out of his hand opened it and started sucking on it suggestively at Kyle.

“Blu,” his Dad admonished him, “there are ladies here,” he turned to the girls, “Please excuse my son, he seems to have lost his manners, you too Christopher.”

Chris chuckled, “It’s fine, nothing bothers me anymore with these four guys,” Chris kissed Steph and settle back in his chair.

Kyle laughed at the entire situation, “We could find Kaleb’s clown outfit,” Khan stood up growling as soon as the word clown was mentioned, “I’m sure he would love to serve food and be the entertainment at the same time.”

Kaleb glared at Kyle, “I think I’ll charge double the normal rate for catering due to a hostile brother.”

“Boys, enough,” Doug said harshly, looking around the table. “Kaleb, thank you for cooking for us tonight, I’m sure whatever you make for the picnic baskets will be wonderful. When the time comes closer, make a list of everything you’ll need for the food, and we’ll go shopping. We’ll drive up and help with the preparations.”

*****

A few days later the boys were sitting at the kitchen table addressing wedding invitations. Kyle grinned as he pulled out a business card from his wallet for high society reporter Gweneth Pistorian, Kyle chuckled as he wrote her information on an invitation, “Think this will give the old prick a heart attack?” Kyle slid the invitation across the table to Blu.

Blu chuckled, “There’s always hope, Blondie.”

“Nah, he isn’t happy if he doesn’t keep everybody miserable around him,” Kyle shook his head, “But I hope this really pisses him off.”

“Send the invitation,” Blu stated.

Kyle put a stamp on the invitation and placed it in the bin to go to the post office.

The excitement and anticipation grow as we near the end of book 2, make sure to hold on tightly as the rest of the ride will be action-packed. Remember we have a wedding coming, an asshole set of parents, and then the unknowns... Let's wait and see what happens, thanks for supporting the Worth the Struggle story, we appreciate it and hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters.
Copyright © 2017Aaron Hawke & JT Babbage; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 43
  • Love 16
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Too many people have such extravagant weddings that they’re too busy to enjoy the day! I’m not a tuxedo kind of guy – I hate even having to wear a tie (too many years if forced tie-wearing while working in cheap, discount retail stores). I don’t even want to be buried in a suit and tie – cremation makes more sense anyway!  ;-)

Link to comment

Best men ✔ ,  Ring bearer ✔ ........ Need to find a roll for our other friends though.  I hope Davis is OK with Brandon being deployed, and I hope that he returns OK.  Looking forward to the wedding and then the comeuppance due to Kyle and Kaleb's sperm and egg donors.  Was a little emotional at dinner, and I am glad with all the teasing and joking between the brothers and family that there is true love at work.  I am glad for Lily,  with the love shown in the new family she may finally have some peace from the hurt she still has to feel after Raine's death. 

Thanks Rob and Joh!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 1/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, chris191070 said:

Another great chapter. Loving the wedding preparations.

Thanks, Chris, sorry it took me so long to respond.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Haaaa! Nan got any more of them suckers? 

She has a special Wesley sucker.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:37 PM, droughtquake said:

Too many people have such extravagant weddings that they’re too busy to enjoy the day! I’m not a tuxedo kind of guy – I hate even having to wear a tie (too many years if forced tie-wearing while working in cheap, discount retail stores). I don’t even want to be buried in a suit and tie – cremation makes more sense anyway!  ;-)

Kyle I believe would've been happy with shorts, but wanted to make the day special for Blu.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, glennish said:

Best men ✔ ,  Ring bearer ✔ ........ Need to find a roll for our other friends though.  I hope Davis is OK with Brandon being deployed, and I hope that he returns OK.  Looking forward to the wedding and then the comeuppance due to Kyle and Kaleb's sperm and egg donors.  Was a little emotional at dinner, and I am glad with all the teasing and joking between the brothers and family that there is true love at work.  I am glad for Lily,  with the love shown in the new family she may finally have some peace from the hurt she still has to feel after Raine's death. 

Thanks Rob and Joh!!!!!!!!!

The boys definitely were leaving Lily have a major part in the planning to make her have experiences she was denied. I'm sure Davis will be a bit down over Brandon being deployed, but the boys consider him family so that should help.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, ObicanDecko said:

Another sweet chapter! I just hope Kyle's parents don't show up and try to ruin the wedding.

Thanks, Obi, we will wait and see what happens with Rudy and Penny...

 

Thanks to all of you for leaving the wonderful comments, we appreciate them very much.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Doug seemed more uptight and easily aggravated in this chapter for some reason. I mean he went from a guy who’s family freely talked about sex and a family who Blu semi-seriously talked about being able to walk nude in front of without them blinking to a guy who got irritated with them kissing on the couch. It’s not like despite Kaleb’s joke implying otherwise that they were about to actually have sex in front of them and their company hadn’t arrived yet so overall I didn’t see anything improper nor out of the ordinary for him to be aggravated about. His attitude towards the flirting at the table was more understandable though if Steph hadn’t been there I would have laughed at his comment about their being ladies present considering the rest of them couldn’t care less nor would it have bother Christopher. That invite to Rudolph is a bad idea as it’s not like they can claim he is there uninvited and demand he leave if he shows up as they will have invited him which is an invitation for him to cause trouble. He’s is likely not going to pass up the opportunity to ruin Kyle’s happiness and he’ll take the time to try to ruin Kaleb’s happiness as well.

Edited by NimirRaj
  • Like 2
Link to comment

yeah I kind of picked up a bit of a killjoy vibe from Doug too. Maybe it's daddy jitters that his baby boy is finally getting married. 

Loved the whole family dinner scene. On to the big event, can't wait.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..