Jump to content
    JayT
  • Author
  • 1,599 Words
  • 2,694 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Chocolate Cake that Saved My Relationship - 1. Chapter 1

Wow!

Don’t you hate it when you have the realization that you are a goddamn asshole and wish you could erase the past couple of hours? You want to delete every sarcastic, bitter, snarky jibe you threw out. Then you realize you don’t deserve him. How could he possibly still love you after what you just said? Granted, he deserved it. Well kind of. Okay, not really, but I was pissed.

The thoughts going through my head while I was getting ready for the second time before gong to dinner were, ‘What the fuck? I mean, seriously, what the actual fuck? Did he actually forget today was our one year anniversary?’

All week I patiently waited for him to make plans for our anniversary, but the call never came. So, I was pleasantly surprised when he called earlier and asked me out to dinner tonight. I thought he finally remembered what today was.

So, imagine my surprise when he showed up to pick me up wearing old blue jeans and a sweatshirt. I answered the door wearing a nice pair of pants, a button up shirt, and my sportscoat. He looked me up and down and asked, “Didn’t you change after you got home from work?”

I smiled an obviously forced smile. “Umm, no, not yet. I was running late, and umm just got in. I was about to change. Where are we going tonight?”

“Let’s go to Chili’s. I’m in the mood for something easy and laid back.”

I was walking in my room and almost tripped when I heard that. I slammed my bedroom door shut. Hard. Was he fucking serious? Motherfucking Chili’s? I seriously had to remind myself I was completely in love him while I looked at my reflection to stop from killing him.

I took my sweet time getting ready. I walked back into the living room and didn’t even glance his way. I walked to the front door and said in a clipped tone, “Are we going or not?”

I heard him chuckle and he said, “Yeah, babe. Let’s go.” When he got to the door, he kissed my cheek and looked in my eyes. “Babe, I love you.”

And my heart melted a little, but I was still pissed.

Once we were in the car, he asked me without looking my way, “Is everything okay, babe? Did something happen at work today?”

I turned and glared at him. He was so focused on driving and singing along with some Christmas song on the radio, he didn’t see it. If you couldn’t hear the sarcasm dripping off every word when I said, “No, dear. Nothing happened. I’m peachy fucking keen,” then you probably are the world’s dumbest person.

The asshole had the nerve to chuckle. “What happened? You know you can talk to me.”

“One of my students forgot today was a due date for a major essay. He acted like he didn’t care when I told him every day it was late, I would take off ten points. He actually laughed at me.”

He didn’t say anything right away. For a brief moment, he looked like he was worried about something. I thought maybe, just maybe, he had caught on to my not-so-subtle hint. Instead he said, “That sucks. What did you say to him when he started laughing?”

“Nothing, though I now I’m wondering why I didn’t tell him to take me seriously or get out of my room.”

He grabbed my hand and squeezed it. It pained me, because it was my left hand. Parts of me wanted to rage at him. Parts of me wanted to bask in the familiar comfort. Parts of me wanted to yank my hand back. In the end, I did none of those. We were pulling in the parking of Chili’s.

It was a slow night, so we were the only ones sitting in out server’s section. As dinner proceeded, there was an uncomfortable silence surrounding the table. I refused to answer anything he asked, and I didn’t try to ask anything of him. As I sat there in the silence, I watched my boyfriend’s behavior.

I started to get the impression that something was going on between our twenty-something year old server with the piercing blue eyes and my boyfriend. I notice the subtle glances the server would throw his way. I would then see my boyfriend nod ever so slightly. If you weren’t looking for it, you would’ve easily missed it.

My mind started racing. I convinced myself he was cheating on me with this server. So, when the server came and took the last plate off the table and my boyfriend winked at him, I lost it. I stood up quickly, knocking the metal framed chair to the ground and started my rant in a rather loud voice through a steady stream of tears.

“You’re fucking him, aren’t you? Don’t think I haven’t noticed the glances he’s been giving you and the way you would nod, thinking I wouldn’t notice. Then you have the audacity to wink and smile at him while I’m sitting right the fuck here! And on our goddammed anniversary, which you seemed to have forgotten about. How dare you do this to me. I loved you. I gave you everything and you proved just how much I meant to you. I hope he’s worth it.”

The look on my boyfriend’s face was one of absolute terror. He was shaking his head and kept opening and closing his mouth, but didn’t say anything. His eyes were starting to get misty when the server in question suddenly appeared at the table with an elaborately decorated miniature chocolate cake, complete with red frosting and a Christmas bow.

The server set it down with a fork, then he picked up my knocked over chair and placed it behind my legs. He then placed a hand on each of my shoulders and pushed me down. He then turned and walked away.

I looked at the beautifully decorated cake with the red frosting and Christmas bow for what felt like hours. My boyfriend stood up and came to my side of the table and knelt by my side. He picked up the fork and placed it in my hand.

I sank my fork into the cake and heard the distinct sound of metal hitting metal. I went to remove whatever was in the cake and pulled out a ring covered in frosting. My boyfriend then took my hand and asked, “Will you please look at me?”

When I did, my breath was knocked out of me. He was on one knee. He looked up at me and said, “Why don’t you clean that off and hand it to me.”

I dipped the ring into my glass of water and wiped it off with a napkin. The ring looked like it was made of white gold and had diamonds going around the whole band in a row in the middle. I handed him the ring and just stared at him, completely dumbfounded.

“I’m going to pretend that I wasn’t just accused of fucking the server and cheating on you. I’m going to pretend that you didn’t used the past tense of love when you said, ‘I loved you.’ I’m also going to tell you that this was the hardest thing to keep from you. I saw how anxious you were all week, waiting for me to make plans for tonight. I heard the relief in your voice when I finally asked you out for dinner earlier today.

“I will admit, when I arrived at your place and asked about what you were wearing, I was amused. You are so fucking hot when you get pissed off. I so wanted to let you know what was going on through the whole dinner, but decided to stick to my plan.

“I can’t imagine my life without you. From the day I met you and asked you out, you were it for me. You made me the happiest SOB on earth a year ago when you asked if we could be exclusive and official. You make my life complete. I love you with every fiber of me being. I love you with every breath I take. I love you with every sarcastic, bitter, snarky barb you throw my way whenever I get you riled up. I love you so much I’m asking you to be mine forever.

“So, can you forgive me for planning a totally awesome, epic, badass proposal at the restaurant we met in and came to on our first date and agree to marry me?”

I looked at him with tears flowing down my cheeks. “As long as when you tell this story in the future you leave out my cheating accusatory rant.”

He shook his head and smiled. “No fucking way. It was classic. I never expected you to go there. I knew you were going to give me shit and I honestly was surprised you didn’t lose your shit earlier.”

“You’re totally going to tell that whole rant at the wedding reception, aren’t you?”

“Oh, hell yes. I was recording it so I have it word-for-word. Now, my knees are starting to hurt. What do you say? Wanna get married?”

“Yes, of course. I fucking love you.”

“And I love fucking you.” (That was what he told me the first time I said, “I love you” to him. In front of my parents and brothers. And that’s why I love this man.)

 

 

  

Copyright © 2017 JayT; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great use of the prompt. I so would have had a meltdown. Way before the end of the night. Definitely a different proposal to share.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I didn't see the "twist" at the end. I am glad it ended well. The good news is he didn't eat the ring by mistake! It would be a hoot to hear this story repeated at their wedding. Nicely done!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

can i say i'm glad Mac stole your prompt? i loved it. reminds me of you in all those late chats when neither of us could sleep.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

LOL Jumping to conclusions is never a good thing! That hothead will need to practice his apologies unless he can rein in his imagination. I can't help but wonder why he didn't make plans for them himself...? 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Nicely done, JayT! I hope the jealous rants are calmed somewhat going forward. This is still a sweet, charming story. I loved it! :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Whoa! That accusation would have ruined many a relationship. What a patient and forgiving - and loving - individual it takes to skate right past it. Thank you for this present.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Oh, JT. That was great. The boyfriend is definitely a keeper, and that recorded outburst should forgive almost everything.. 

 

Nicely done..Thank you. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I would have said No. I'd never marry anyone who made me publicly humiliate myself like that and was cruel enough to make me believe he'd forgotten our anniversary. He deserved having dinner with a pissy boyfriend and being shouted at. He could have suggested they celebrate it in the same place of their first date and kept the chocolate cake and the proposal as a wonderful surprise.

On the other hand, why does his boyfriend have to be the one to set up this - it makes the teller seem like a passive (dare I say girly) person rather than a man. He could have invited his boyfriend out and avoided all the silly pouting and feeling put upon. But since they love each other, and both seems to enjoy the joke after the act, I guess they're made for each other. For my part, I liked the cool waiter best. 

Rant over - I enjoyed that. :lol: Hope you don't mind. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I'm not sorry I stole your prompt, Jay. And you did a great job with this one, so we should be copacetic all around. ;) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I loved this story!  I do not envy the main character's frustration but it was funny observing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

WOW Jay!  I'm usually pretty good at catching on to twists, but this time you really caught me.  Very Very Nice!!!!  I really liked this one!

Edited by emirikol
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I would have walked out on him and his damn ring.  Then let him stew in it. Along with the waiter.

Edited by pondman
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..