Jump to content
    jkwsquirrel
  • Author
  • 2,999 Words
  • 2,947 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rehabilitation - 3. Dustin's Pride

When I returned to school on Tuesday, everyone already seemed to know what had happened to me. I wondered how people had found out what was going on when I hadn’t even had the chance to explain anything. I guess when your life falls apart at the neighborhood pool party it doesn’t take long for the whole town to find out about it. Teachers asked me how my dad and mom were doing. Other kids asked me about my arm being in a sling and a cast. The attention was a little bit embarrassing. I’d done it to myself. I didn’t deserve sympathy or concern.

The fun began when I got on the bus with Brett. Dustin gave me a betrayed look as soon as he saw me. He was still mad about what had happened at the hospital, and now he was even more upset that I was staying with Brett. Then Emily had to ask me about a million questions on the ride to school about my dad and everything that had gone on since I left her house.

When I split up with Brett to go to homeroom, it was the first time I’d been away from him in a day. I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to handle being on my own. I walked into my homeroom and took my usual seat. Joey and Sarah noticed me and I could tell they were making snide comments to each other about me. Dustin walked into the room, but instead of sitting in his usual seat in front of me, he sat in the opposite corner near Joey and Sarah. He’d occasionally shoot a glare my direction, but that was about it. Joey looked around the room, and I knew that with the teacher missing he was going to say something.

“So… Did one of your tricks rough you up, Roberts?” Joey asked.

“Shut up, Joey,” I replied.

“Is it true you give free blowjobs down at the park at night? Must make all the other fags jealous that you’re taking away their paychecks. I’ll bet you’re real popular with the old queers who go looking for cheap head.”

“Leave him alone, Joe,” Dustin said sternly. “No one wants to hear your stupid mouth!”

“What’s the matter, Smith? Afraid your boyfriend’s gonna cry?”

“Just shut up, okay! His dad’s in the hospital and he doesn’t need your crap.”

“Sure thing, Dustin,” Joey smirked. “I wouldn’t want you to break my arm like you broke Billy’s.”

“What’s wrong with you Joey? You used to be an okay guy. But now you’re just a jerk,” Dustin said.

Before Joey could reply, our teacher finally decided to show up. I worried that Dustin would now have to face the consequences of standing up for me.

When the bell rang, everyone cleared out of the room to go to their next class. I hurried to catch up with Dustin.

“Hey Dustin, wait up!” I called.

Dustin turned and waited for me to join him.

“What do you want?” he asked, not too nicely.

“Hey, thanks… Thanks for sticking up for me in there,” I said.

“Whatever. I didn’t do it for you. Joey’s just a stupid jerk.”

“Well I appreciated it anyway,” I said. “Listen, I’m sorry about…”

“Billy, I’ve got to get to class,” Dustin interrupted. “Go tell Reilly about it.”

“Hey, I didn’t ask to stay with him! His mom offered to keep me while my mom stays with my dad! You know, maybe instead of getting all pissy with me you could find out what’s going on instead of jumping to conclusions.”

Dustin pushed me forcefully against the wall and grabbed me by the shirt. “Listen, jerk! Don’t yell at me! I didn’t do anything to you. You hear me?”

I shrugged him off of me and scowled at him. “What’s wrong with you? I’ve got a broken hand and it hurts! You’re going to hurt me even worse shoving me around like that!”

Dustin walked away in a huff. I looked around the hallway at all the people looking at me. “What the fuck are you all looking at?” I asked rudely. Then I stormed off to my next class. For the next few periods, I traded icy glares with Dustin. I hated being mad at him, but he was being such a jerk. Where did he get off treating me like that?

I decided to skip lunch, since I wasn’t hungry and the person I always ate with was mad at me. I found the coach of the baseball team in his office and we talked for a while about what had happened to me and my family. We’d finished the baseball season, and it was a good thing because I could barely write my name, let alone keep score.

As I left his office, I almost ran right into a boy who I didn’t recognize at first. He was a tall boy, thin, and very pale. His blue eyes had a tired look to them. They had dark circles around them, as if he hadn’t slept in a month. With his dark blond hair cut in a very short military buzz, I would never have guessed who I was looking at until he spoke to me.

“Hey, Billy,” he said. His soft and tired voice was barely louder than a whisper.

“Jerry?” I asked. “Jerry Freemont? Wow, you’re back!”

“Yeah, I hear everybody thinks I died,” he said without concern. “I guess I gave everybody a scare, huh?”

“You sure did! Wow, you look completely different,” I said.

“Yeah, I got my hair cut. I guess my dad finally realizes I exist. He signed me up for military school. We’re just here to sign a few papers and say goodbye.”

“Wow, you have to go to military school? That sucks.”

“Eh… It’s okay. My dad made a deal with the judge to keep me out of juvie. I guess having a lawyer for a dad pays off sometimes.”

“I reckon so. I forgot your dad was a lawyer. It’s been a long time since we’ve actually talked to each other.”

“Yeah. Sorry about that. I guess I’ve been a bit of a jerk to everybody since I started hanging around Max.”

“Yeah. I guess drugs make you do some pretty crazy things.”

“No. You can’t blame that. It didn’t help, sure. But I have no one to blame but myself. Drugs really can’t make you do anything if you don’t want to do it. They just make it easier. Dad’s been warning me for a while that if I didn’t straighten up he’d send me to military school. I thought he was gonna kill me. But he just came to my room at the hospital and said, "Boy, I told you to either shape up or ship out." And that was it. I knew what he meant. He's barely said two words to me since. He can't afford to have an embarrassment to the family name running around. Say, how's your dad doing? I heard he’s sick."

"He's fine," I said quickly. "So just like that you're leaving?"

"Things have been shitty since mom left anyway. It's probably for the best."

"Your mom left you?" I asked.

"Yeah. Two years ago. You mean you didn't know? I thought everybody knew about that. She ran off with some guy she met on the internet. She didn't even say goodbye. Just left me and dad and my little brothers like that. Dad blamed me of course, since I wanted the internet and all. Of course she wouldn't have left if he wasn't such a dick. Oh well. I didn't mean to bore you with my life story. Anyway… I guess I'll see you around some time."

"Yeah," I said. Then he was just about to go into Coach's office when I realized something. "Jerry!" I called.

“Yeah?”

“You ever hang out with Max when he was working?”

“I did a lot of stuff I’m not proud of,” he replied.

“Well, I was wondering if Brett ever…”

Before I could finish, I saw Mr. Freemont coming down the hallway.

“Let’s go, boy,” he said tersely. “We’re done here.”

“Sorry, Billy. I’ve got to go. I’ll see you some time.” Jerry caught up to his dad, who was already walking briskly toward the exit not even waiting for Jerry.

I did feel bad for Jerry, but he brought a lot of his troubles on himself. It was weird. I don't know why, but I felt sad that Jerry was going away. I mean, we hadn't even been friends for years. We'd just said more to each other in five minutes than we'd said in those years. I couldn't believe how calm he seemed about the whole situation. If my life was falling apart like that, I sure wouldn't be as accepting as he was. It was like he wanted to go to reform school.

I turned to find something else to do to fill the rest of lunch period, but then I saw Dustin walking toward me.

“Shit…” I mumbled to myself.

“What are you doing here?” he asked crossly.

“I wasn’t hungry,” I informed him.

“Me neither,” he replied. “I… Listen. I’m sorry about this morning. The whole argument was dumb. I was just upset that you didn’t tell me you were going to be at Reilly’s house. I was all worried about you and called your house a dozen times and then I saw that you were at his place all along. It just made me mad. I didn’t mean to push you like that.”

“Did you mean to call Brett a drug addict?” I asked.

“Aw, come on, Billy. Can we drop it? I don’t want to argue with you. I’m sorry I brought it up.”

“But you’re not sorry you said it,” I replied.

“Well, it was the truth. Everyone knows he’s a stoner. Everybody! If you don’t believe me ask anybody. If you want to see Reilly as a perfect little angel who can do no wrong, that’s your right. But it doesn’t make it true. He’s a bad kid, Billy. He’s a spoiled little brat. Everybody knows it. Look at the way he talks about his mother. You don’t see the way he talks about people when you’re not around. He doesn’t get sent to the principal’s office for being a saint. He’s trouble. He’s one on the meanest kids in the whole school. You can see what you want to see and ignore the truth if you want but that doesn’t change the facts.”

“Why are you acting like this? You’ve always hated Brett. What did he ever do to you?”

“You know exactly what he did to me,” Dustin snapped. “You were my best friend, Billy. We were like brothers. But then he came along and stole you from me. You used to come to my house all the time. Now you have to wait for him to leave the state before you’ll come over. He’s got you wrapped around his finger. He’s changed you. He could have anything he could ever want. I only have you. And he wants to take you away from me just to make me miserable.”

“I’m not anybody’s property, Dustin,” I replied. “I can be friends with whoever I want. And neither you nor Brett have any say in the matter. I’m so tired of you guys fighting. I just want us all to be friends.”

“Well that’s not gonna happen. He doesn’t want you to be my friend! He’s been stirring stuff up between you and me since he got here! He wants you all to himself, and you’re too blind to see it. He’s not a nice person, Billy! Why can’t you see that?”

“Well you’re no angel either,” I protested. “You’re the one spreading lies about him.”

“I can’t talk to you,” Dustin fumed. “All you do is blindly defend him! You refuse to see the truth. I’ve known I was your second choice for a while now. And it hurt. But it hurts even more to realize that I’m losing to such a bastard!”

“Don’t you call him that!” I shouted.

“Bastard! Bastard! Bastard!” Dustin mocked.

“Shut your mouth, you miserable little weasel!” I snapped.

“Weasel?” Dustin laughed. “You really want to get into a name-calling match with me? You should be careful, because I might have a few names for you too. How about ‘back-stabbing-traitor?’ Or how about ‘Bed-Wetter?’ See? I can play that game! Don’t mess with somebody who knows all your dirty little secrets!”

I was angry now. He’d hit me below the belt. But I had an ace up my sleeve too.

“Okay, speaking of dirty little secrets how about you and…” I started.

But just as I was about to lose my temper and attack Dustin with my most devastating blow, Coach came out of his office.

“What are you boys doing out here?” he scolded. “I can hear you shouting from my office. What is it with you two lately?”

“He started it!” Dustin tattled.

“I don’t care who started it. I don’t need my best player and the best scorekeeper in school history arguing with each other! I thought you two were friends. Get over whatever it and get to class!”

I turned and walked down the hall. As soon as Coach went back into his office Dustin grabbed me and slammed me hard into the lockers against my back. He pinned me in place with his forearm against my neck. It surprised and scared me more than it hurt me. “Don’t screw with me, Billy,” he growled. “I’ve had about as much of your crap as I can take. Stay away from me! You hear me?”

Terrified, I quickly nodded my head. He let me go and stormed down the hall. He angrily pounded his fist against three or four lockers as he walked.

The bell rang, and the hallway filled with students. I didn’t move from my spot against the lockers until the next bell rang. Then I spent the rest of the afternoon hiding around the school. I didn’t care if I got in trouble for skipping class. I was more afraid of Dustin’s wrath than I was afraid of being caught. I hid in the auditorium balcony for a while. Then I snuck into the library and hid among the periodicals for an hour. Finally, I got caught in the hallway and sent to class. Fortunately, it was the last period of the day and I would have Miss Winston to protect me. I was still scared though. Dustin had shown me a side of himself that had frightened me. I’d never seen him so angry before. I was beginning to wonder if maybe Brett was right about him.

He didn’t say anything to me when he saw me come into class. He didn’t even look at me. Miss Winston scolded me for being late without the least bit of sympathy for me and my situation. She was like that in class. She played no favorites.

After class ended, she told me to stay behind. Everyone cleared out, and Dustin made it a point to not even look my direction. Once everyone was out of the room and it was just me and Miss Winston, she smiled. “So is there a reason you were skipping class all afternoon?”

“No,” I replied.

“Billy, I know you must be upset about everything that’s going on. There’s only a few days left until school is over. I know it may seem easier to run and hide from your problems but they won’t go away that easily. If you need someone to talk to, you know you can come to me.”

“I know. I just don’t want to bother you all the time,” I replied.

“It’s no bother to talk to you.” she said, putting a comforting hand on my shoulder. “If there’s anything you need this summer, you can call me anytime.”

“I know,” I replied. “Thanks.”

“So, with everything that’s going on, are you still going to be able to help with volleyball again?” she asked. “You were such a big help last year.”

“Well, my mom’s staying up in Pittsburgh while dad’s up there, but I think we’ll be home in a few more weeks.”

“I’d be happy to pick you up. Your house is on the way for me. I’m sure it will be nice to get your mind off your troubles for a few hours.”

“Well, what use will I be with this?” I asked, showing her my cast.

“Well, we don’t start until the end of July, so you’ll have two months to heal up. And I’ve already thought of a back-up plan in case you’re not at one-hundred percent. I got you another helper. He’s a friend of yours,” she smiled. I immediately thought of Brett.

“Really? That’s great!” I said. “Who is it?”

“Dustin Smith,” she answered.

I felt my stomach twist into a knot. “Oh…” I said with fake enthusiasm. “That’s cool…”

“I know you boys are going to do a great job.”

“I’m sure we will,” I said. I scurried on my way and hurried to the bus before it left. My summer was about to become much more complicated than I’d expected.

strong>Well, the tension is rising between Billy and Dustin, but the real issue is between Dustin and Brett. How will it all work out? We'll find out soon!
Next time - Think or Feel
Copyright © 2017 jkwsquirrel; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter! I'm team Dustin on this one. Even though he's far from perfect, Billy just threw him aside like yesterday's garbage. I also get him lashing out, being so frustrated over his former best friend defending the wrong person. I think Billy more than had it coming. I can tell the drama is starting to boil! Can't wait to see what happens next!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dustin is such a dick. Although billy isn't helping much. I wish Billy would have finished that sentence then maybe Dustin will get his act together. Its killing me with this Brett being a stoner I mean the only two people who've came out and said it was Dustin and his bitch sister. I don't want to think Brett's a stoner but... Although it looks like Billy threw Dustin away he still wants him as a friend but Dustin sees Billy as his property and to an extant so does Brett. Poor billy is caught up between them. That asshole joey neefds another beat down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I cannot in good conscience see Dustin as anything but an unhinged bully. He's from an abusive environment, and now he's being physically abusive to Billy. He doesn't see Billy as an individual and his friend, he desires to posses him and sees Brett as a threat to that. He is transferring the abusive behavior he's learned at home and now is accosting someone with whom he can "get away with it." Billy is weaker, and vulnerable especially with his injury. Dustin is a creep. I tried to see him as sympathetic, but I can no longer get there mentally. He's dangerous especially to Billy.

 

I think my biggest issue with this story is a lack of real world consequences. Billy had a nervous breakdown and self-harmed at the end of the previous book. Then one chapter later he's conviniently forgotten the entire incident and is right back to the status quo. Fighting with Dustin, running and hiding. He's back in school completely unchanged minus a cast on his arm, and his friends are behaving like it didn't happen. Dustin was a firsthand witness to Billy falling apart literally mere days before this and yet here he is again, behaving like it's all about him and it never happened. Where's Brett? Apparently not remotely concerned about Billy, it's just another school day. What happened to Billy is unusual, and yet you'd never know it beyond some extra attention from his peers.

 

The fact that Dustin would behave like this the first time he sees Billy out of the hospital speaks volumes about his value as a friend. He isn't there for Billy when he need it most. Brett? He gave a few hugs, threw blame toward Dustin for Billy's breakdown, and is likely out scoring his next hit of self-medication. He treats the whole thing as a vacation for Billy to stay over so they can play games and pleasure each other.

 

I'm not team either of them because they're both selfish and treat Billy like something to be possessed. Neither of them are any good for him or have his welfare in mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter once again! Dustin's completely right about Brett, even though Billy refuses to see it. Brett has this jealous, possessive and manipulative side when it comes to Billy and we've seen that, so I think Dustin's telling the truth on this one. I'm starting to think Billy should stay away from him, to be honest. As for Dustin, well he's FINALLY standing up for himself and fighting back, so that makes me happy. Although roughing up Billy like that might have just pushed him away for good, we'll see("maybe Brett was right about him"). It looks like Billy's going to become collateral damage in Brett and Dustin's battle, and he might just end up ditching both of them. And it has to be Brett who told the whole school that Dustin broke his arm, that's just really low. I don't know when it'll happen, but I feel that Dustin's going to fight Billy and kick his ass at some point (because of Mike?), things seem to be heading in that direction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm so torn on this story now: it seems that none of the characters have any redeeming values--even Billy. Billy's temper and unwillingness to find out the truth about anyone has amplified his troubles to the breaking point. His preference for Brett over Dustin has been obvious from the start, and yet he won't see it--even when it's pointed out to him.
I have more sympathy for Dustin than Brett because he's always tried to be friends with Billy, despite his knowing he's second-best. His home life is hell, and yet he tries to be cheerful and kind despite everything, with the exception of Brett. He sees how Brett acts in school and has likely seen him buy drugs from Max, and he's trying to let Billy know for his own good...all Brett has done is breeze through things and bad-mouth Dustin at every opportunity--obviously jockeying to push him out of Billy's life.
I agree that Billy leaving the hospital with zero consequences is stretching things--particularly when Dustin told the Police what happened, and they should have alerted the doctors that he was at-risk for hurting himself.
Yes, Dustin's behavior in this chapter was horrible, but he's been betrayed and hurt by his best friend--and he was attempting to fix it when Billy did his typical fly-off-the-handle act. I feel bad for Dustin right now...I hope he's with Mike because there's a mutual attraction, and not a predtor/prey relationship. Give him a break and let Mike be a true friend, please Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Funnily enough, what stuck out for me in this chapter was poor Jerry Freemont. Yes he made some poor descions but as someone who has made plenty of those recently I can't judge. While not as outwardly abusive as Dustin's or (apparently) volatile as Billy's, his home life sounds miserable. Both his parents seem too wrapped up in their own issues to help him.
Seriously, what kind of man blames his kid for his wife leaving? (Answer: The weak kind)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sorry guys, I'm still team Brett with reservations... Brett and Dustin both have very simular problems. Both are posessive of Billy. Both are basicly alone and wanting a friend, Billy. Both think the other is the spawn of Satan and out to do Billy harm. Hopefully somewhere along the line everyone will show their true colors, fears and needs and help each other heal the wounds that have been laid open. Time will tell all and maby Joey will find out that three allies beat two religious, spiteful a$$holes :). Jeff another great and emotional chapter. Keep them headed our way...

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Too much testosterone! Billy, Brett, and Dustin are all overdosing on testosterone! Usually they all run around horny all the time, but right now it’s like ‘roid rage.’ Every little thing triggers anger.

 

And I feel sorry for Jerry too. It’s too bad they couldn’t have exchanged contact info. I think Billy might have been able to learn some things about himself from Jerry.

 

I was also wondering about Miss Winston. Her touching Billy, even on the shoulder might have broken rules in many schools these days. Plus there are many rules against teachers giving rides to students too. Maybe things aren’t so strictly delineated in that area and time…

Link to comment

I've been reading all these reviews, and your readers are so divided! I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of them, but then the next review (the complete opposite!), I'd nod also!!

 

I totally understand how betrayed Dustin feels. For all of Billy's "I need to control my anger" mantra or whatever, he's doing a piss poor job of it! He can't keep his mouth shut! Let Dustin get it out. Stop interrupting and getting angry. Jesus!

 

Dustin has a shit home life, and Billy was his only friend. I feel for him, I really do.

 

I'm glad to see Jerry's better, but his father's a real asshole. Plus, I can't believe a "mother" would just up and leave her kids!! I hope Jerry does well being away from his father. I feel sorry for his brothers.

 

Another great chapter, Jeff! I think this was the mild "calm" before the storm. Dustin is just itching to rough someone up, and I believe that someone is going to be Brett. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dustin's mood is swinging worse than a pendulum. One minute he wants to be Billy's best friend, next he's threatening him, which is weird since he won't stand up to anyone else (his sister, mom, or dad). He needs a friend that's not going to use him for his penis and isn't 20 something years old.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 02:57 PM, jaysalmn said:

Great chapter! I'm team Dustin on this one. Even though he's far from perfect, Billy just threw him aside like yesterday's garbage. I also get him lashing out, being so frustrated over his former best friend defending the wrong person. I think Billy more than had it coming. I can tell the drama is starting to boil! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Thanks Jay,

 

Frustration is the name of the game with Dustin. He's trying very hard and not seeing the results he wants. How will he react?

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 03:05 PM, Wesley8890 said:

Dustin is such a dick. Although billy isn't helping much. I wish Billy would have finished that sentence then maybe Dustin will get his act together. Its killing me with this Brett being a stoner I mean the only two people who've came out and said it was Dustin and his bitch sister. I don't want to think Brett's a stoner but... Although it looks like Billy threw Dustin away he still wants him as a friend but Dustin sees Billy as his property and to an extant so does Brett. Poor billy is caught up between them. That asshole joey neefds another beat down.

Thanks Wesley,

 

I love the back and forth over which character is being the biggest jerk! I think it's because we know they can behave better, but they make wrong choices. Teenagers...

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 04:05 PM, spikey582 said:

I cannot in good conscience see Dustin as anything but an unhinged bully. He's from an abusive environment, and now he's being physically abusive to Billy. He doesn't see Billy as an individual and his friend, he desires to posses him and sees Brett as a threat to that. He is transferring the abusive behavior he's learned at home and now is accosting someone with whom he can "get away with it." Billy is weaker, and vulnerable especially with his injury. Dustin is a creep. I tried to see him as sympathetic, but I can no longer get there mentally. He's dangerous especially to Billy.

 

I think my biggest issue with this story is a lack of real world consequences. Billy had a nervous breakdown and self-harmed at the end of the previous book. Then one chapter later he's conviniently forgotten the entire incident and is right back to the status quo. Fighting with Dustin, running and hiding. He's back in school completely unchanged minus a cast on his arm, and his friends are behaving like it didn't happen. Dustin was a firsthand witness to Billy falling apart literally mere days before this and yet here he is again, behaving like it's all about him and it never happened. Where's Brett? Apparently not remotely concerned about Billy, it's just another school day. What happened to Billy is unusual, and yet you'd never know it beyond some extra attention from his peers.

 

The fact that Dustin would behave like this the first time he sees Billy out of the hospital speaks volumes about his value as a friend. He isn't there for Billy when he need it most. Brett? He gave a few hugs, threw blame toward Dustin for Billy's breakdown, and is likely out scoring his next hit of self-medication. He treats the whole thing as a vacation for Billy to stay over so they can play games and pleasure each other.

 

I'm not team either of them because they're both selfish and treat Billy like something to be possessed. Neither of them are any good for him or have his welfare in mind.

I always enjoy your reviews, Spikey. They challenge me in a good way, and I appreciate that.

 

Unhinged is a good word to describe Dustin. The façade he's lived within is crumbling. He is taking some of that frustration out on Billy for the very reasons you gave. unfortunately, the one who is abused is at a high risk to become the abuser.

 

I think you may have been a little hard on Brett in this particular chapter. Brett and Billy practically go to different schools. Billy's in advanced classes and Brett's in special ed, so their paths don't cross very often in school. As for Billy, I think the events at the hospital did change him. This isn't the same Billy who tried to beat up Joey. This Billy is running away from his problems and hoping they'll go away if he closes his eyes and pretends everything will be okay. He's always been afraid, but now he's being ruled by his fear.

 

Yes, Brett thinks the whole idea of Billy staying with him is a grand idea exactly as you described. "Broken hand? Dad in the hospital? Cool, now you can stay with me!" Billy will find his voice again soon enough.

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 04:27 PM, Shadow086 said:

Great chapter once again! Dustin's completely right about Brett, even though Billy refuses to see it. Brett has this jealous, possessive and manipulative side when it comes to Billy and we've seen that, so I think Dustin's telling the truth on this one. I'm starting to think Billy should stay away from him, to be honest. As for Dustin, well he's FINALLY standing up for himself and fighting back, so that makes me happy. Although roughing up Billy like that might have just pushed him away for good, we'll see("maybe Brett was right about him"). It looks like Billy's going to become collateral damage in Brett and Dustin's battle, and he might just end up ditching both of them. And it has to be Brett who told the whole school that Dustin broke his arm, that's just really low. I don't know when it'll happen, but I feel that Dustin's going to fight Billy and kick his ass at some point (because of Mike?), things seem to be heading in that direction.

You're on the right track in so many areas!

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 04:32 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

I'm so torn on this story now: it seems that none of the characters have any redeeming values--even Billy. Billy's temper and unwillingness to find out the truth about anyone has amplified his troubles to the breaking point. His preference for Brett over Dustin has been obvious from the start, and yet he won't see it--even when it's pointed out to him.

I have more sympathy for Dustin than Brett because he's always tried to be friends with Billy, despite his knowing he's second-best. His home life is hell, and yet he tries to be cheerful and kind despite everything, with the exception of Brett. He sees how Brett acts in school and has likely seen him buy drugs from Max, and he's trying to let Billy know for his own good...all Brett has done is breeze through things and bad-mouth Dustin at every opportunity--obviously jockeying to push him out of Billy's life.

I agree that Billy leaving the hospital with zero consequences is stretching things--particularly when Dustin told the Police what happened, and they should have alerted the doctors that he was at-risk for hurting himself.

Yes, Dustin's behavior in this chapter was horrible, but he's been betrayed and hurt by his best friend--and he was attempting to fix it when Billy did his typical fly-off-the-handle act. I feel bad for Dustin right now...I hope he's with Mike because there's a mutual attraction, and not a predtor/prey relationship. Give him a break and let Mike be a true friend, please Jeff.

Do teenagers ever have any redeeming qualities? Totally kidding! I think the events which have happened and are yet to come are shaping the boys, it just takes a while. Introspection will come, sometimes from the unlikeliest of places. Dustin and Brett are obviously trying to push the other out of Billy's life. But are they doing it so that they can have Billy all alone, because they really think the other one is bad for Billy, or simply out of spite?

 

As for there being no consequences for Billy's actions at the hospital, well, maybe. They did have him strapped to the bed overnight, and don't underestimate the power of Jen Reilly's influence. But overall, yeah, that's Billy's life for you. "You just punched a mirror, but you're walking so it's okay. Move along." Is Billy really paranoid or is life truly out to get him?

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 04:48 PM, Israfil said:

Funnily enough, what stuck out for me in this chapter was poor Jerry Freemont. Yes he made some poor descions but as someone who has made plenty of those recently I can't judge. While not as outwardly abusive as Dustin's or (apparently) volatile as Billy's, his home life sounds miserable. Both his parents seem too wrapped up in their own issues to help him.

Seriously, what kind of man blames his kid for his wife leaving? (Answer: The weak kind)

Alas! Poor Jerry! Jerry is the cautionary tale. Any of the boys could easily be Jerry if they don't change their ways.

Link to comment
On 02/05/2017 08:39 PM, wenmale64 said:

Sorry guys, I'm still team Brett with reservations... Brett and Dustin both have very simular problems. Both are posessive of Billy. Both are basicly alone and wanting a friend, Billy. Both think the other is the spawn of Satan and out to do Billy harm. Hopefully somewhere along the line everyone will show their true colors, fears and needs and help each other heal the wounds that have been laid open. Time will tell all and maby Joey will find out that three allies beat two religious, spiteful a$$holes :). Jeff another great and emotional chapter. Keep them headed our way...

Thanks as always!

 

Yes, Brett and Dustin are both alike in many ways, the biggest similarity being that they're both trying to get the same person. In the end, there can be only one. (Or something like that...)

Link to comment
On 02/06/2017 02:28 AM, droughtquake said:

Too much testosterone! Billy, Brett, and Dustin are all overdosing on testosterone! Usually they all run around horny all the time, but right now it’s like ‘roid rage.’ Every little thing triggers anger.

 

And I feel sorry for Jerry too. It’s too bad they couldn’t have exchanged contact info. I think Billy might have been able to learn some things about himself from Jerry.

 

I was also wondering about Miss Winston. Her touching Billy, even on the shoulder might have broken rules in many schools these days. Plus there are many rules against teachers giving rides to students too. Maybe things aren’t so strictly delineated in that area and time…

"I'm raging and angry!! Won't somebody give me a hug? I'm so scared! But don't touch me!"

 

Yep, pretty much sums it up! They're in the white-hot fury faze of teen-hood. It won't last, but it is fun to watch. Billy could have definitely learned some lessons from Jerry. But will he?

 

As for Miss Winston... Well, it was 2002 in rural Pennsylvania. Things were not as crazy. It wasn't unusual for me to catch a ride with one of my teachers back in the day. Nobody thought anything of it. My how times have changed!

Link to comment
On 02/06/2017 07:00 AM, Lisa said:

I've been reading all these reviews, and your readers are so divided! I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of them, but then the next review (the complete opposite!), I'd nod also!!

 

I totally understand how betrayed Dustin feels. For all of Billy's "I need to control my anger" mantra or whatever, he's doing a piss poor job of it! He can't keep his mouth shut! Let Dustin get it out. Stop interrupting and getting angry. Jesus!

 

Dustin has a shit home life, and Billy was his only friend. I feel for him, I really do.

 

I'm glad to see Jerry's better, but his father's a real asshole. Plus, I can't believe a "mother" would just up and leave her kids!! I hope Jerry does well being away from his father. I feel sorry for his brothers.

 

Another great chapter, Jeff! I think this was the mild "calm" before the storm. Dustin is just itching to rough someone up, and I believe that someone is going to be Brett. :(

Lisa, I'm with you! I'm totally digging the various responses. Ten reviews! That is so amazing! I'm very, very appreciative and I've enjoyed every one.

 

I think the variety of replies has developed because everybody is emotionally invested in the characters and the story. I love the connection that we've all made through these boys.

 

The calm before the storm... You might say that! What will happen when Brett and Dustin finally face each other?

Link to comment
On 02/06/2017 04:17 PM, JayT said:

Dustin's mood is swinging worse than a pendulum. One minute he wants to be Billy's best friend, next he's threatening him, which is weird since he won't stand up to anyone else (his sister, mom, or dad). He needs a friend that's not going to use him for his penis and isn't 20 something years old.

I think Dustin is threatening Billy BECAUSE he wants to be his best friend. Like another review said, Dustin's found someone he can take his frustration out on because he knows Billy can't fight back at the moment. Dustin is not a healthy kid. He's a starving dog who's been kicked too many times. He wouldn't know what to do with a healthy relationship if he had one. Will he ever find what he's looking for out of life?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What is with Joey and all of those comments? It makes me wonder if he is hanging around sucking old men’s cocks as he says, he seems to know a lot of what goes on on the park. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 11:04 AM, Bft said:

What is with Joey and all of those comments? It makes me wonder if he is hanging around sucking old men’s cocks as he says, he seems to know a lot of what goes on on the park. 

Joey always seems to know more about what's going on than Billy does, and he uses it to be a bully.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..