Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,524 Words
  • 1,111 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 17. Chapter 17

Thanks for waiting this is a longer chapter.
Anton's in the hospital and the sheriff wants answers.
Please leave a comment and or like if you enjoyed this. Thanks

The antiseptic smell and the cold white walls, filled Troy’s senses with grim depictions of Anton. All Chris could tell him was that Anton was found unconscious on Eric Perkins’s property.

“What the hell was he doing there?” Troy wondered. He rode with Chris in his truck. Adam drove his jeep and Paul drove his truck with Kyle. Mia, Patrick, and Justin stayed at the house. Chris used his sirens so they could all drive above the speed limit.

When they arrived, Troy hurried inside first. Head Nurse Molly knew the Potter family, having helped bring all four boys into the world. When she saw Troy, she pointed towards the ER. Troy shoots past her without a word.

“Thanks, Molly,” called Chris. “Tell the boys, they’re behind us.” Chris, just making it through the doors with Troy before they closed.

“Troy, you need to calm down,” said Chris.

“Not until I see him myself?” said Troy.

When they reached the sectioned area where Anton was, Chris stayed back so Troy could be with his husband alone.

Troy walked in and saw Anton laying in the bed as if he was sleeping. Then he saw the bandage around his head and the bruise on the side of his left cheek. He walked over and touched Anton’s soft black hair that he just started to dye when he noticed a string of gray hair. Troy ran his fingers along his jaw line before leaning down to kiss his, still lips.

Rage and sorrow gripped Troy’s heart as he pulled a chair up and sat beside his lover holding his slender hand in his larger one. He kissed the back of it and held it close to his face as he fought not to cry. A finger brushed the side of his cheek and he noticed Anton’s finger moving. He looked at his face and watched as Anton’s eyes shifted behind his closed eyelids. Then the unresponsive man took a deep breath squeezing his eyes before slowly opening them.

When the room came into focus he saw Troy looking back at him.

“Troy,” Anton said, groggy.

“Anton, thank goodness, you had me worried.”

“Why?”

“I thought you weren’t going to wake up.”

Confused by what Troy was talking about, Anton tried to sit up, but Troy stopped him by placing his hand on his shoulders and pushing him back.

“Baby, wait until the doctor sees you.”

“The doctor? Why would I need a doctor?” Anton glanced around the room he was in, and saw white curtains, monitors, and saw he was in a hospital bed. He looked back to Troy with panic on his face. “What happened to me?”

“You don’t remember?” Anton dropped his sight from his husband and struggled to recall what happened to him.

“I remember waking up, then going out.”

“Where did you go?” Anton closed his eyes and the only thing that came to him was a headache. He reached for where the pain was coming from and flinched from where he touched. “Careful baby,” Troy said, grabbing Anton’s hand and moving it away from his injury.

“Troy,” said Anton. “I don’t remember any of this.” He broke down in sobs. Troy wrapped his arms around him and hugged him, Anton, pressed his face into Troy’s chest.

“Don’t cry baby I’m here, you’ll be alright.”

“Dad, is mom okay?” asked Kyle, from behind the curtain.

Anton jerked up his head and brushed away his tears as he looked towards where he heard Kyle’s voice.

“He’s alright son, you can all come in,” called out Troy. Kyle was first, then Adam followed by Paul. Troy stepped out of the way and allowed his sons to hug their mother.

“Mom, are you okay?” asked Kyle, who was on Anton’s right holding his hand.

“I have a little headache, but I’m fine,” said Anton.

“Who did this to you?” asked Adam. Anton looked over to Troy not sure what to say. He wasn’t sure anyone attacked him.

“Calm down you mom’s been through a lot, let’s wait until the doctor sees him,” said Troy.

“Can we get you anything mom?” asked Paul, who didn’t take his mother’s hand.

“No, sweetie, I’m fine for now.” Anton reached out for Paul’s hand and detected the reluctance before he reached back.

“Do you think you’ll have to stay overnight?” asked Adam, catching Anton’s attention.

“Once again. Let’s hear from the doctor. Where’s Chris?”

“Sheriff Owens talking with one of his detectives,” said Adam.

“Do you want me to go get the doctor dad?” asked Paul.

“Just hit the call button for the nurse first,” said Troy. Paul pulled his hand from his mother’s and found the call button hanging off the guardrail and pressed it. A minute later a nurse entered and took Anton’s vitals while Anton’s men stood back and out of the way.

“Would you like anything Mr. Potter?” asked the nurse smiling.

“No, thank you.”

“Then I’ll go and inform the doctor.” She left the family alone again. Adam moved first and got beside his mother taking his hand before Kyle. Paul was on the opposite side of his mother, but not reaching for his hand.

“Now boys, easy does it, your mom needs rest. You can fight over him when we get home.” Just as Troy said that, the doctor walked in.

“Hello all,” he said.

“Doctor Teller,” said Troy walking up and shaking his hand. Doctor Ian Teller was the Potter’s family physician.

“Troy so good to see you, and I see Adam’s home.”

“For his birthday,” said Troy.

“Oh, happy birthday. Troy tells me you have your own business,” said Doctor Teller looking at Adam.

“Yeah, I have a detective agency.”

“Glad to hear you’re doing well. Kyle, you have a physical due next week.”

“Yeah, I’ll be there.”

“And Paul, how’s your shoulder?”

“It’s much better, thanks doc,” said Paul, not expecting him to blurt it out.

“What happened to his shoulder?” asked Anton.

“It’s nothing mom,” answered Paul.

“Nothing, then why did you have to see the doctor?”

“Now Anton, Paul is fine,” said Doctor Teller. “We’re here for you. Troy, I need you and the boys to step out of here for a moment while I examine Anton’s injuries.”

“Alright, doctor. Come on guys.” Troy waited as his reluctant sons left first and he followed, closing the curtains behind him. They waited out in the hall when a nurse walked up to Troy.

“Mr. Potter, Sheriff Owens would like a word with you in the hall.”

“Alright,” when she walked away Kyle spoke up.

“Maybe the sheriff found the one who did this.”

“Can I go with you dad?” asked Adam.

“Yeah, Paul and Kyle can stay and wait for Anton, we’ll be back.”

Troy and Adam walked out into the hall and saw Chris talking on his cell. When the sheriff turned and saw them approaching, he ended his call.

“I’ll see you at the station.” Chris returned his cell to the inside of his coat and let out a sigh not wanting to have to tell Troy the latest update.

“Sheriff, you wanted to talk?” said Troy.

“Yeah, Troy it’s about Anton.”

“The doctor is examining him now.”

“Did he tell you what happened?”

“No, he can’t remember.”

“Well, like I said my men found him on Eric Perkins property. With some items.”

“What items?” asked Adam.

“They found DVDs by him and a key to the back door to Eric Perkins home.”

“So,” said Troy.

“So, I need to question Anton.”

“He’s in no condition to talk to you. Besides, he can’t remember anything.”

“It’s only a matter of time before he does Troy.” Chris shifted on his foot before continuing. “Also, we need to confiscate Anton’s cell phone.”

“What for?” said Troy.

“They want to check his call history dad,” said Adam.

“Do you have his phone, Troy?”

“He didn’t kill Perkins,” said Troy.

“I never said he did Troy.”

“But that’s what you’re implying?”

“Troy, don’t obstruct justice.”

“He’s my husband!”

“I’m just doing my job Troy.”

“Dad he’s only going to talk to mom. Everything else is circumstantial,” said Adam.

“Fine, after the doctor gives the okay.” Troy reached into his pocket and pulled out Anton’s cell, he left home and handed it to Chris.

“Fair enough,” said Chris. I’ll be waiting.”

***********

Anton waited with his shirt off as the doctor checked his injuries, giving him three stitches on the side of his forehead. The doctor called in a nurse and invited Troy back in who waited as the nurse rebadged Anton’s head. He saw another bruise on his shoulder.

“You can use ice to ease the swelling on your eye and shoulder. I’ll prescribe you painkillers for the pain. The nurse will give you your first dose and you’ll take another one in six hours.”

“Thank you, doctor,” said Anton.

“Will I be able to take him home today doctor?” asked Troy.

“I don’t see why not, but if he experiences any double vision, vomiting, or dizziness I want him back here.”

“I’ll keep an eye on him doctor.”

“I know you will Troy. I’ll go sign your release papers and the nurse will be back in a minute with your pill.”

Once the doctor left Troy noticed the blood on Anton’s shirt and coat and cringed.

“Do you want one of the boys to go home and get you a change of clothes?”

“No, I just want to go home.”

Anton watched Troy still holding the stained shirt, staring at it.

“Troy,” said Anton grabbing his arm. “I’m alright.” He assured him. Troy lowered the top and looked at Anton.

“I could have lost you.”

“I know, but you didn’t.”

“I don’t know what I would do if I lost you.”

“Troy, sit with me.” Anton tugged on Troy’s arm until he sat on the bed. Then Anton puts Troy’s arm around his waist. “I’m going home and you’re going to take care of me.”

“Damn right I am.” They kissed, but Troy stopped first and looked at his lover. “Anton, can you remember anything that happened before the police found you?”

“No.”

“Chris said they found you on Eric Perkins’s property.”

Anton’s jaw dropped hearing that information.

“He also said you had some DVD’s lying beside you and a key to his house.”

Anton almost moved away from Troy, but stopped himself. No words came to him as he turned his sight from his husband.

Troy tried not to think the worst but Anton’s silence was worrying him.

“Anton, Chris wants to question you about it.”

“I don’t remember Troy.”

“Baby just tell me.”

“Tell you what? I just told you I can’t remember.” Anton’s voice cracked as he almost screeched his reply. Troy squeezed Anton close.

“Okay, I believe you,” said Troy.

A knot gripped Anton’s gut as he jumped from Troy’s arms and the bed and walked to the window hugging himself. Tears stained his cheeks as Troy went to him and embraced him from behind.

“Come on, I’ll help you on with your shirt,” Troy said. Anton walked with Troy back to the bed. When he watched Troy pick up his shirt Anton’s reaction to the sight of his own blood was unexpected to Troy.

“No, Troy, no. I don’t want to wear it.” Anton cried.

Troy balled up the top and tossed it on the floor.

“Okay, baby, you don’t have to wear it. I’ll get you something else to wear.” He started to leave to ask Paul to go home and get a change of clothes when Anton called out to him.

“No, Troy, don’t leave me.” Anton hugged him tight.

“I’m not going anywhere. I was just going to tell Paul to go home for you.”

“Troy, Anton,” called a familiar voice behind the curtain.

“Come in, Tina,” said Troy. She walked in holding a duffel bag and saw Anton holding Troy.

“Tina,” Anton cried, moving from Troy to her and wrapping his arms around her. “I’m so glad to see you.”

“I’m glad you’re okay Anton. When I got home Patrick and the others told me what happened. I grabbed some clean clothes for you and hurried over.”

“Tina you’re a life saver,” said Troy.

“Let me help you dress,” said Tina, walking Anton back to the bed.

“That’s a good idea,” said Troy. “I need to talk to the boys.”

“You’re coming back, right?” asked Anton.

“Yes, baby, I’ll only be a minute.” When Troy came out from behind the curtain Kyle and Paul approached him. Adam was nowhere around.

“Where’s Adam?”

“He said he had to go check something out,” said Kyle. Troy hoped it had something to do with his mother.

“Okay, that’s fine, you two need to know something.”

“We heard dad,” asked Kyle. “DVD’s of what?”

“Don’t know.”

“Why would mom have a key to his place?”

“Still don’t know Kyle.”

Paul said nothing as he listened.

“Well, what does this mean for mom?”

“The sheriff wants to question him, only your mom doesn’t remember anything that happened this morning.”

“I’m sure he doesn’t,” Paul murmured.

“What did you say,” asked Kyle to his brother. But before Paul could answer Sheriff Owens and Detective Michael Chee walked up.

“Troy, we talked to the doctor and he cleared Anton to go home. We like to talk to him now.”

“Tina is helping him change into clean clothes.”

“Fine we’ll wait here,” said Chris.

“Can’t you do this at the house where he’ll be more comfortable?” asked Kyle.

“We tried that, remember. It has to be now.”

“Why can’t you wait until he’s better?” snapped Kyle.

“Kyle let me handle this,” said Troy. Paul remained silent.

“But they could upset him. He has a head injury.” Kyle continued.

“Come on Kyle,” Paul finally spoke. “Let dad handle this. We’ll meet them at home.”

“I don’t want to go home.”

“Then we’ll go get a cup of coffee.”

“That’s a good idea, I’ll call you when it’s all over,” said Troy.

“Fine,” Kyle said defeated. He unwillingly walked away with Paul.

“Troy I’m sorry your family is going through so much, but it’s important we talk to Anton.”

“I know, but, he said he still doesn’t remember anything that happened today.”

“The doctor said there is no reason he shouldn’t remember,” said Chris.

“Are you saying Anton’s lying? Now you’re an expert in head injuries?”

“Troy I’m just saying…”

“You’re not going to interrogate my husband Chris.”

“Troy I’m going to question Anton here or down at the station.”

Troy grinned his back teeth, knowing he had no choice. He didn’t want Anton going to the station.

“It’s fine Troy, let them in,” said Anton.

Troy entered first, followed by Chris, then Michael. Anton sat back on the bed dressed in clean clothes. His soiled ones Tina put into the duffel bag.

“Anton, sorry for disturbing you,” said Chris.

“It’s fine, you’re only doing your job.”

“Thank you. You know Detective Chee?”

“Of course, I know his husband Peter and I shop at their bakery.”

“Hello, Mr. Potter.” Detective Chee pulled out a small notebook and pen to take notes.

“Anton, I know you say you can’t remember what happened, but do you have any idea why you were at Eric Perkin’s farm?”

Anton shook his head.

“No, sheriff, I don’t.”

“Can you remember waking up this morning?”

“No.”

“Did you or Troy or any of your sons have a key to Eric Perkins place.”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course, I am.”

“Did you go to talk to Eric Perkins on the day he was murdered?”

“I was at first, but—time got away from me and I didn’t go.”

“What prevented you from going?”

“Cooking. Adam was coming home for his birthday and bringing guests. So, I wanted to get some pre-cooking out of the way. Also, I needed to help set up for the event.”

“Was anyone with you?”

“No. I was alone.”

“Were you home most of the day alone?”

“Paul came back to get his father’s computer pad.”

“What time did Paul arrive at the house?”

“I’m not sure, I was in the shower when he came in. I saw him when he was leaving that was about eleven.”

“Tina wasn’t there?”

“She hadn’t arrived yet.”

“So, you don’t have anyone to vouch for your whereabouts?”

“No.”

“Since you and Troy are here can either of you tell me why Eric Perkins tried to burn down your fence?”

Detective Chee’s, cell phone rang. He excused himself and left the room.

“Eric Perkins was upset about our event,” said Troy.

“So, upset that he set fire to your fence?”

“And a small scarecrow,” said Anton.

“How terrible,” said Tina.

“Troy and the boys were able to put it out before any real damage was done.”

“Where’s the scarecrow now?” asked Chris.

“In one of the bins. Anton cleaned it up,” said Troy.

“Is it still in the house?”

“Yeah in the back.” Chris looked back for Detective Chee but forgot he left. He wrote down the information about the scarecrow.

“Did Eric Perkins ever burn things on your property before?”

“No,” said Anton.

“Did he ever catch either of you alone and started an argument?”

“I can’t recall,” said Anton.

“Troy?”

“At the hardware store, he caused a commotion about my event being ridiculous and that it should be denied permits. He even got in my face telling me I should act my age and stop promoting blasphemy.”

“What did you do?”

“I walked away.”

“When was that?”

“Last year, and it only happened once.”

“I didn’t know that,” said Anton.

“I didn’t think it was important. Besides he stopped.”

“Until the scarecrow?” asked Chris.

“Yeah.”

“So, after the fire why would you tell Troy you were going to talk to Perkins after that—alone?”

“I just thought he was upset about something else and he wanted to talk,” said Anton, glancing down at his hands.

Chris was detecting Anton wasn’t being truthful.

“Have you done this before, go to Eric’s place to talk to him?”

“Well…” They were interrupted by Detective Chee returning.

“Sorry Sheriff Owens, but I need to talk to you.”

“Can’t it wait,” asked Chris, looking back at him.

“It’s urgent, sheriff.”

“Fine. I’ll be back,” he said to Anton.

“Sheriff is this going to take much longer?” asked Troy.

“I have a few more questions.” He left before Troy could protest. Chris and Michael walked to where they could have privacy to talk.

Troy sat beside Anton in a huff. Anton rubbed his arm.

“Chris is just doing his job,” said Anton.

“Anton,” said Troy unsure if he should ask.

“What?”

“What happened on the first day you ever went to Eric’s house?”

“Troy that was fifteen years ago.”

“Just tell me.”

“I don’t think I can remember.” Anton wasn’t convinced by his own account so he knew Troy wasn’t.

“I think you do,” said Troy turning to Anton and seeing the guilt on his face. Anton moved his hand from Troy’s arm and sat back shifting his eyes from his husband.

“Sorry for the interruption,” said Sheriff Owens stepping back in with Detective Chee. He looked at Anton. “Anton Potter.” The explanation of his name made Anton look at Chris. “You’re under arrest for the suspicious murder of Eric Perkins.”

“What?” said Troy and Tina standing, but Anton remained where he was and quiet. Chris continued to focus on Anton.

“You have the right to remain silent—you have the right to an attorney.”

“Damn it, Chris you’re not going to do this!” Troy stood between Anton and the sheriff. Detective Chee stepped up grabbing his arm.

“Don’t interfere with police matters,” said the detective.

“You’re not taking him,” barked Troy.

“Then I’m putting you under arrest for obstructing justice.”

“Troy, don’t do this,” said Chris. “We’re doing our duty. It’s not personal.”

“Then you’re going to have to arrest me,” said Troy.

“No,” shouted Anton getting off the bed and moving to Troy. “Troy, you have to be there for our sons.”

“Anton, I’m not losing you.” Anton reached up and placed his palm against Troy’s face.

“I need you to be strong for our family and let the sheriff do his job.”

“You didn’t kill him.” It came out as a statement, but Troy meant it as a question.

“No, I didn’t, but they seem to think different. So, I’m going to go with them and clear this up.” The crack in Anton’s voice scared Troy. He knew Anton was terrified, but he also knew he had to help his soul mate and he couldn’t do that in jail. Troy stepped aside and allowed Chris to finish reading his rights.

“Do you understand your rights Anton?” asked Chris.

“Yes,” Anton responded.

“Okay, Detective Chee, cuff him.”

“Is that necessary?” asked Tina.

“Tina, please take care of our family.”

“I will Anton,” said Tina, standing by Troy.

Anton turned his back to the detective while the handcuffs were fastened on. Troy watched, as they led him away.

Not looking good for Anton.
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..