Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 2,499 Words
  • 2,746 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 1. Chapter 1

Anton Potter awoke with the rising sun. The sounds of his creaking bed hummed in his ears while his husband Troy slept undisturbed. He dressed for his morning run, securing his hair into a ponytail. Their three-story farmhouse, consist of four bedrooms, two baths, a full-size attic and basement, a three-car garage, and 300 acres of land. Anton runs around the length of their property four times to complete his workout. He performs his morning stretches in the brisk air in front of the house while his mind wondered to other things.

He missed his scheduled once a month appointment yesterday. Something he dreaded for the last fifteen years. Did it slip his mind or did he choose to forget? Anton wasn’t sure. But what he did know there will be consequences.

Anton’s brisk pace increased by his last lap as he checked his heartrate. The wind was on his back as he moved with skill through the path leaping over fallen tree limps and dodging overgrown greenery. He made it back to the house faster than normal. He enters the side of the house through the mud room, that consisted of coat hooks on both sides of the wall, wooden benches, area where dirty shoes and boots were placed to be cleaned before bringing into the house. Anton kicked off his sneakers then entering the house heading back upstairs.

Two of their four adult sons lived with them. Anton goes to check on them like he always did when they were young. Their third born, Kyle, slept with his headphones plugged into his cell phone. Anton removed his ear plugs and placed them, and the phone on his night stand gently closing his door as he left. Paul, their second born; TV blares the theme song to one of his favorite games, he stayed up playing most of the night. Anton turned off the TV and removed the controller from Paul’s limp hand, placing it on his night stand then leaves.

Anton went to the bathroom, turning on the shower. He brushed his teeth while he waited for the water to warm up. After rinsing his mouth, he yawned and stretched his arms out wanting to go back to bed.

He freed his hair from the twisty and stared at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. His cheeks were flushed from the chilly morning. He managed to still look younger than he was, at least that’s what people told him. Gray strains scattered his jet-black hair that stopped just below his shoulders. He considered cutting it, only Troy asked him not to. He opened the cabinet and reached for a pill bottle, antidepressants prescribed to him for the last three years.

The reason he gave his doctor and Troy was false. Anton had things to get over so he could get on with his life and he wasn’t ready to share why, with anyone. He stripped off his clothes and tossed them into the hamper stepping into the shower. He drenched his hair and body and reached for the soap Troy ordered by the case that he loved smelling on Anton’s skin.

He washed his husband’s scent from his body and felt the ache in all the right places. Yesterday Troy, Paul and Kyle did double work on the farm so that they could work on a different project today.

Troy came home exhausted, but by that evening, after eating a filling meal, his libido demanded to be close to Anton. Troy showed an instance longing to be inside his mate and Anton concede to him as always.

Anton climbed out of the shower, dried off, and lotions his skin. Something else Troy loved about him, his soft, touchable skin. Troy never wanted Anton to do hard labor like him and their boys. He pampered Anton and gave him all the comforts, a stay at home parent, would want to raise a family.

He wrapped a robe, his oldest son, Damien, gave him for Mother’s Day, around his body. He stepped into his slippers and headed downstairs to the kitchen.

The coffee maker with timer, was up and brewing. When he walked into the wide room an intoxicating aroma penetrated his brain. He poured a cup and tasted the strong flavor and a sudden burst of energy and creativity sprung into him.

He gathered his blender, cast iron frying pan and waffle iron that had the backwards inscription, U VUL I, in the mode so when the waffles come out his boys would see it I LUV U.

It was his baby boy’s birthday. On this date, thirty-one years ago. At 7:30 am, Anton’s last son was placed in his arms by the nurse at the same hospital Troy Potter was born along with their three sons.

His surrogate mother was in labor for two hours, but to Anton and Troy it was ten. Anton gazed into his eyes and knew on the spot, he was a Potter.

“Adam S. Potter,” Anton said, gazing into his baby’s perfect eyes. Two days later they took him home and his older brother Damien, became his third father. On the other hand—Kyle and Paul had to warm up to their new little brother. As the weeks rolled on Paul and Kyle managed to try and leave Adam with a neighbor. Cover him with stamps and demanded the mail-woman to take him to China.

Anton cracked eggs with one hand while measuring out dry and wet ingredients. He made his traditional birthday breakfast as he has done for all his boys. As they grew into men, it became harder to do their traditions. With Damien, moving overseas and Adam, going into the military.

So, Anton had to get creative with celebrating his boys’ special day, no matter the protest from his two wondering sons, Anton always managed to get his way.

Checking the oven to be sure the bacon wasn’t burning, he started on his second cup of coffee. A knock came to his kitchen door, startling him as coffee spilled from his cup to the floor.

“I’ll get it mom,” Kyle said, walking into the kitchen. Anton wasn’t expecting to see any of his men up so early.

“Did I wake you?” Anton asked.

“I was waking up anyway when you took my headphones out.” The knock came again. Kyle noticed his mother cringed from the sound but said nothing. He looked to the door just as Anton sat his cup down pulling his robe closer around his slim body. Kyle moved to the door and peeked through the blinds seeing it was their long-time neighbor Eric Perkins not looking to happy. Kyle remembered him never being happy, especially when it came to him and his brothers going on his property. Now Kyle only saw a bitter old man that he wasn’t afraid of anymore. He opened the door.

“Mr. Perkins,” said Kyle, on his guard to whatever his unpleasant neighbor needed to get off his chest this time.

“Potter… he said, in an authoritative voice. Oh, you’re one of his boy.”

“What brings you here—so early Mr. Perkins?”

“What always brings me here. This flyer.” He presented a flyer that Kyle recognized as one of his own creations for their coming Live Action Role Playing event.

“Yes, wonderful, isn’t it?” smiled Kyle.

“I must disagree.”

“Why, did I leave something out?”

“How can I put it so that even you can understand?”

“Why don’t you put it pen to paper.”

“What?”

“Letter writing is a dying art; don’t you agree?”

“Now see here!” his voice raised just as Troy stepped in front of Kyle.

“Mr. Perkins, why are you yelling at my son at 7:29 in the morning?” asked Troy wearing jeans, and a tee shirt. Kyle walked away knowing his father could handle Perkins.

“Fine I’ll yell at you then.”

“Did you say it was 7:29 Troy?” asked Anton, looking back at the clock. His mouth fell open when he realized he was right.

“Yes, it’s 7:30 now,” he replied, looking back and finding Anton running for the phone. He saw from the sense of urgency Anton was showing what day it was. “Anton, don’t call him now, it’s too early,” he said ignoring Mr. Perkins.

“Potter, I’m not through talking!” Troy turned to him forgetting for the moment what he was doing at his door.

“Oh yes, Perkins, you were yelling at my son.”

“For good reason.”

“And what reason was that?”

“This flyer!” he showed Troy. Troy didn’t bother taking it from his hand. He knew what it was.

“Great, isn’t it? We’re doing Steampunk meets Fantasy,” he said, with glee in his voice.

“Potter, this—childishness needs to stop!”

“Childishness?”

“Grown adults prancing around in ridiculous costumes.”

“What about reenactments?

“They are a retelling of a true event. They happened.”

“What makes you think Steampunk never exist?”

“Because it didn’t!”

“It could have, in another reality. How would we know so much about it?”

“Because you made it up!”

“Wow, I guess I could see your point.”

“Do you Potter, do you really,” said Mr. Perkins, as if he was talking to a child. Troy wonder if Eric Perkins ever been excited about something in his life that made him doubt all the negatives.

“Where did you get it?” asked Troy.

“Get it—get what?”

“Our flyer. Where did you get it?”

“What difference does it make where I got it?”

“Well, we’re doing a poll on which place you found out about the event. Was it the coffee house? I like the coffee house?”

Perkins gritted his teeth in anger. He stormed off, leaving the flyer crumpled up on the floor. Troy bent down, picked the ball of paper up and smooth out the wrinkles. He closed the door and walked towards the heavenly scent of bacon. Paul walked into the kitchen seeing Kyle taking out the two trays of pork strips from the oven. Kyle grabbed a fork and moved the hot crisp bacon from the grease onto a plate with paper towels where his father and brother hovered over.

“Get your butts over here and say happy birthday to your son and baby brother,” ordered Anton. Just as the words left his mouth Anton heard Adam’s voice. “Happy Birthday baby!” sang Anton, he passed the phone to Paul, who cut Adam’s response off, wished him well. Then passed the phone to Kyle, who wished his little brother happy birthday, then attached a rude name. He received a smack from his father, who was the last to wish his son good wishes. Anton snatched the phone from Troy and accepted the thanks from Adam.

When Anton asked Adam when he was coming up. His son tried to back out of it, promising to come that weekend. But Anton was not taking no for an answer. That is until he turned around and saw Paul and Kyle shoving nothing but hot bacon into their mouths.

Troy was passed the phone.

“Go get the juice from the fridge, coffee for yourselves and your father and sit down.” Anton ordered, taking the plate of bacon and moving it to the table.

“Is Adam coming down tonight?” asked Kyle, still chewing.

“Of course, he is,” answered his mother, grabbing the pure maple syrup from the cabinet and the jam preserve, placing them on the table.

“Is he bringing Justin?”

“That’s all you care about,” said Paul, placing his father’s coffee at the head of the table and his own on his father’s right.

“Kyle, Justin is invited if he wants to come.” Anton said. When sure all the items he wanted were on the table. Anton walked back over to Troy and wrestled the phone from him.

Troy walked over to his son and sat down. Kyle sat on the opposite side on his mother’s right. The two unaccompanied seats belong to Adam and Damien.

Anton won a visit from his son, hanging up the phone and sitting at the table. The food was passed around and their plates were filled. Anton sat seeming in deep thought.

“So, mom, is Adam getting the remaining supplies we need?” asked Paul.

Anton nodded, then answered. “Yes, sweetie.” He caught Troy’s gaze. “Adam has a new boyfriend. Everyone stopped eating and gave their attention to Anton.

“A boyfriend,” said Troy, out loud, needing to hear it from his own mouth.

“Yes,” continued Anton. “I talked to him.” He sipped his coffee before continuing. “His name is Patrick. I didn’t get his last name.”

“Wow. So, he’s finally over AJ,” said Paul.

“I liked AJ,” said Kyle.

“Need I remind you, AJ cheated on Adam,” said Anton, with a stern look towards Kyle. Kyle averted his eyes, knowing he hit a bad cord with his mother. Troy picked up on it and intervened.

“Will Adam bring Patrick along?”

“Yes.”

“Great, I’m glad Adam’s moving on to someone new. AJ took a lot out of him.

“Yes,” said Anton, not wanting to add anything else as he poked at his eggs.

“Anton, we should look at this as a good thing.”

“Yes, I’m sure you’re right.”

“Come on mom, Adam needs to move on with someone new,” said Kyle.

“You’re only saying that because it’s not Justin,” stated Paul, grabbing a piece of toast.

“Not true, but—maybe I should call him to make sure he has a ride.”

Adam will be capable to provide Justin and his new interest with a ride,” said Anton, stirring his coffee unnecessarily.

“Stop worrying about our grown son’s new beau, and worry about the work we still need to do for our event this weekend. Eat up everyone we need to get over there as soon as possible.”

“Troy?” said Anton.

“Yeah?”

“Do you smell smoke?”

Troy breath in deep and did smell smoke. He rose from the table and walked over to the window, There, he saw their neighbor Mr. Perkins.

“What is it?” asked Anton.

“Mr. Perkins is back, and he fastened a scarecrow to our fence and set it on fire.” They all moved over to Troy at the window. Anton leaned on the kitchen sink looking out the large bay window.

“Boys get the fire extinguisher and put it out,” Anton calmly said. Paul grabbed two small extinguishers out from under the sink and handed one to his father. They raced out and smothered the flames with the foam while Anton and Kyle looked on.

“Should we call the police?” asked Kyle.

“No, I’ll handle this myself,” stated Anton. Once the flames were out. Troy and Paul went back inside. “Go, finish breakfast. I’ll clean that up myself,” said Anton.

“I’ll help you, mom,” said Kyle.

“No, you and Paul, help your father clear the table for me.” Before Anton turned away from the window, he saw Mr. Perkins standing near one of their trees watching them. Anton just stared at Mr. Perkins who left in a huff.

Tell me if anyone wants more of this or if it's a pass.
Thanks for reading.
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I'm glad to see you're working on the sequel to "The Harlequin". I really wish I had the time to work with you as your editor again. Definitely continue. I know how much this story means to you. :)

Link to comment
On 09/23/2016 09:26 AM, Valkyrie said:

I'm glad to see you're working on the sequel to "The Harlequin". I really wish I had the time to work with you as your editor again. Definitely continue. I know how much this story means to you. :)

Thanks for the encouragement I'll post again tomorrow.

Link to comment

Interesting opening. Glad to see the sequel coming out - and don't be in any rush to post unless you are happy with what you've got. It will be worth the wait. :D

Link to comment
On 09/23/2016 01:05 PM, Lux Apollo said:

Interesting opening. Glad to see the sequel coming out - and don't be in any rush to post unless you are happy with what you've got. It will be worth the wait. :D

Thank you for reading. I've completed the 2nd draft of this so I'm rereading it and to tell the truth I suck at editing but I'm trying to make sure it's legible. Chapter 2 will be later today.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..