Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,313 Words
  • 1,336 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 12. Chapter 12

Adam finds a cell.
Patrick storms off.
Paul is acting funny.

Adam moved down the dirt incline and walked in the direction Kyle took them before. He heard the Sheriff and Kyle talking at the top of the stairs where Perkins was.

“Sheriff Owen,” Adam called up. The sheriff appeared at the top of the stairs just as the EMT workers were headed down.

“Yes?”

“I would like to help in your investigation.”

“Sure Adam, I could use another set of trained eyes. Come on up. Troy, you and Paul can come up also unless either of you are squeamish at the sight of blood.”

Adam started up, followed by his dad, butt Paul stayed back. Troy noticed his second born hesitance.

“Paul if you want, you can check on Justin and Patrick and call your mom and tell him we’ll be late getting back.” Paul was relieved not to have to see Perkins.

“What should I tell mom?”

“Just tell him a secured fence came undone and we need to stay behind to mend it.”

“Are you sure he’s going to buy that?” asked Adam.

“Paul will convince him,” said Troy, with confidence.

Paul exited the cave. He walked to the vehicle pulling out his cell to call home. When he glanced at the Rover he noticed Justin and Patrick weren’t in it.

Troy stared at the prop he and Kyle built together. It took two months to get the look they were going for. Troy was proud of his son’s craftsmanship and how he was disappointed that they agreed the stair scaffolding was too big of a risk to allow people to climb it. They had planned to take it down, but not until the day after Adam’s birthday.

Troy walked over to where the body of his neighbor, Eric Perkins was now impaled on a battle ax. Kyle turned to his father, shocked.

“Dad, this is my fault,” he said, breaking down. Troy took Kyle into his arms hugging him.

“Don’t say such things, this isn’t your fault,” said Troy, reassuring him. “For god sake Chris, you’re not charging him, are you?”

“I’m not charging anyone. Kyle told me that he fastened the battle ax that he had made for this device, correct?”

“Yes, he did and I was with him during the installation.”

“Ok, that’s what Kyle said, so we have that.”

Kyle was collecting himself as he stepped away from his father. Adam walked up and placed an arm around his big brother’s shoulder. He and Kyle always gotten along and he hated that he was having a hard time dealing with Perkins’s death. Kyle didn’t push Adam away as Paul would, he liked that his brother was the easy-going Potter son who took after their mom.

“Kyle why don’t you go on downstairs. I have all that I need from you, for now,” said Sheriff Owen.

“That’s a good idea. Come on Kyle I’ll take you down so Adam and Chris can do their jobs.”

Troy led Kyle to the stairs, but not before patting Adam on the shoulder. Adam waited until they descended and was out of earshot before turning to the sheriff.

“So, Adam, you returned to police work,” said Chris, grabbing his attention. Adam turned to him and nudged his shoulders.

“I went private detective. I have my own business back in the city.”

“A P.I, well, that could bring some interesting characters to your door.”

“It has. In fact, it’s how I met my boyfriend Patrick Valdez.”

“Valdez, the son of Raoul Valdez, the billionaire?”

“The very one.”

“My, my and how is that going?”

“His dad hates me.”

“Well—he wouldn’t be the first father.”

Adam looked surprised, but then thought about it.

“Yeah, well, I guess I have been a bit curious.”

“I believe they call it, a Player now,” said Chris, smiling.

“I calmed down when I met A.J. A lot of good that did me.”

“You and Patrick having problems?”

“No—well—it’s nothing, we’re good.”

“All right, how about giving me your input on this,” he waved at Perkins.

“Well from what I can see the murder weapon was the battle ax. From the look on Perkins’s face, it seems that he was taken by surprise.”

“Yeah, I saw that too. Was he alive when you came up here?”

“He was; Patrick was the one who found him. When I got to him Perkins’s had passed out still holding Patrick’s wrist. I had to touch his hand to make him let go.”

“Good to know. No one touched anything else?”

“Not that I’m aware of.”

“When did you get back into town?”

“Around 6:30 p.m.”

“So, you just got here?”

“Pretty much.”

“What made you want to come out here? I thought you were done with live action role play.”

“Kyle wanted to show Justin and Patrick the town. Patrick, is into Cosplay.”

“You fell for a boy who likes Cosplay? Well, it’s in your blood.”

“I suppose,” said Adam, trailing off when something caught his eye. He walked past Chris and Perkins towards the silver, slim, metallic that was sitting partially under a drop cloth on the floor. At first, he thought it was a piece of metal, but when he kicked the cloth away, he saw that it was a cell phone.

“Well, look at that. Good eye Adam,” said Chris, reaching into his pocket and removing an evidence bag. He opened it and turned it inside out using it as a glove to pick the cell up. He pushed all the air out of it before closing it.

“Do you think it’s Perkins’s,” said Adam.

“Could be,” he replied, pressing the power button and watching the screen come to life asking for the password. He glanced at Adam. “Any ideas about getting passed this one?”

“No clue.”

“What I like to know is, what Perkins was doing out here in the first place?”

Well, he did start a fire at my parent’s house. Maybe he came here to do the same. “

“Hold on—he what?”

“I was told that Perkins set a scarecrow on fire at our farm.”

“Troy never told me.” Adam wasn’t sure if he should convey his and his father’s conversation. He feared he might have said too much. “Come on we can’t do anything more up here. I need to talk to your dad.” Chris waited as Adam took the lead down the stairs. They headed outside to find Troy and Paul standing by the Rover. Both were on their cell phones. Chris started towards them when a pickup truck pulled up stopping between the Rover and Chris. The driver turned off his lights as two men stepped out of the car.

“Sheriff Owen?” said the one who was driving, in a rich rumbling voice.

“Glad you both made it, Michael,” said Chris, holding the plastic bag with the cell phone. “Adam this is Detective Michael Chee and Kai Tso,” he said, both men wore their badges on their belt straps.

Two Native Indians officers, one with long, straight, bound back, brown hair with a light complexion in his early fifties, the other chestnut skin with short, just over the collar, black hair, in his thirties. Both had casual clothes of jeans and button up long sleeve shirts, with black high-top hiking boots. Michael wore a brown tweed coat, while Kai wore a black leather coat. Adam recognized the younger one as Kai Tso, from the Navajo tribe, and an old classmate from high school and Adam’s first—acquaintance. The older one walked over to Sheriff Owen.

“Welcome, gentlemen. Sorry you had to come out so late.”

“Well, death has no watch, sheriff,” said Detective Chee.

“That is true,” said Chris. Both detectives gave Adam a curious glance. Chris glanced back at him and turned back to the men. “Oh, let me introduce you to Adam Potter, he’s a private investigator who works in Cargo City. I was just asking his input about the case.”

“You asked a civilian about a murder case, sheriff?” asked Detective Chee. Before Chris could answer Detective, Tso spoke up first.

“Adam use to be a detective on the force in Cargo City. We went to high school together.”

“Hey Kai,” said Adam.

“Adam,” Kai replied, in a neutral voice. Detective Chee glanced at his partner and sense the bitter tone in his voice. He decided not to worry about it and turned back to Chris and Adam.

“I like to see the crime scene, Sheriff Owen,” said Detective Chee.

“This way. Adam, you can tell your dad you all can go and we’ll be by to talk in the morning? Tell him I’ll lock up here.”

“All right, good night Sheriff.” Adam saw Kai’s cold stare before heading towards his family. Chris led the men into the cave.

Adam walked over to Kyle and their father and noticed that no one was in the Rover.

“Dad, where’s Patrick and Justin?”

Still on his cell Anton’s voice rang in his ear about when he was coming home. He held his hand up and pointed to his cell.

“They weren’t here when we got here,” said Kyle, hanging up his cell. “I tried to call Justin but he’s not picking up.”

Adam pulled out his cell and speed dialed Patrick’s phone. The message: ‘the subscriber is not taking calls’, sent up red flags as he looked around for his lover and assistant.

**************

Patrick wasn’t headed in any direction. He ventured through the woods in a steady pace. He just wanted to get away from Justin for the moment and get some air. His cell rang and upon checking the caller ID he saw it was his mother. He considered not answering it, but a sense of longing to hear her voice was overwhelming.

“Hi, mom,” he said in a somber voice.

“Patrick, you promised you’d call when you got in. Is everything alright?” she asked, concerned. Patrick wasn’t going to tell her he was grabbed by a dying man.

“No, I’m just tired from the long ride.”

“What long ride?”

“Mom, don’t tell dad, but I came to meet Adam’s family.”

“I see.”

“Please don’t tell dad. I can’t deal with him, judging Adam.”

“I won’t tell.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you staying the night?”

“Yes. It’s Adam’s birthday today, so I’m staying at his parent’s farm.”

“Well then I won’t keep you. Wish Adam well for me.”

“I will.”

“Patrick, is that all you are, just tired?”

“Yeah.”

“Then I’ll let you go and get some rest.”

“Thanks mom. I love you.”

“I love you too, sweet heart. Get rest.”

“I will.” He hung up and seem to feel a little better but noticed his cell’s charge was low.

“Patrick,” said Justin, walking up behind him. Patrick turned and eyed the blonde in exasperation.

“What do you want?”

“Adam wants us to wait at the Rover.”

“So, go wait at the Rover. I’m taking a walk.” Justin approached him and grabbed his arm.

“No, you’re coming back to the Rover with me.” Patrick jerked his arm away and took a few steps back.

“You have no say in what I do. So, go back to the—Rover—and leave me be.” Patrick turned to walk away when Justin went for his wrist and tugged him around and pulled him towards the car. “What the fuck, let me go!”

“Stop acting like a spoil brat, and come on!”

Patrick dug in his heels and yanked hard, freeing his arm, butt stumbling backwards, tripping over a fallen branch and tumbling to the ground. His cell phone slipped from his hand and slipped into some overgrowth by a tree. Patrick looked up at Justin in irritation.

“Are you alright?” asked Justin, he reached his hand out to help Patrick up. Patrick slapped it away.

“Don’t touch me,” he said, trying to get up, but when he put pressure on his right foot a stinging pain rushed through his ankle. “Oww! He dropped back to the ground grasping his ankle.

“What’s wrong?” asked Justin.

“My ankle—it hurts,” said Patrick, feeling the throb coursing through his foot.

“Here, let me help you.”

Not wanting to, but Patrick allowed Justin to help him to his good foot as he kept his injured one off the ground.

“Lean on me and I’ll help you get back to the Rover.”

“No, wait, my cell phone, I must have dropped it when I fell.”

“Where did it fall?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Justin, Patrick,” called Paul, running up. “What happened?” Justin was about to tell him when Patrick cut him off.

“I fell and twisted my ankle, now I lost my cell phone.”

“Where did you drop it?”

“I’m not sure. I think over there.”

Paul pulled out his cell and turned on the flashlight. He searched around the area but came up with nothing.

“Are you sure you dropped it here? I don’t see anything.”

“I fell backwards, so I didn’t actually see where it went to,” said Patrick.

“Let me help,” said Justin, moving away from Patrick, who tried to stable himself on one foot, but lost his balance and touched down on his injured foot letting out a sharp cry as he tilted forward reaching out for support. Justin rushed back to Patrick catching him before he hit the ground.

“Sorry, I should have stayed with you,” said Justin, drawing his arm over his shoulder to support him. Paul continued to search but was unable to locate the cell phone, then his cell rang out. He looked at the caller ID and noticed it was Adam. He knew it was about finding Patrick and Justin. He decided to look for Patrick cell later, he stood and turned to them.

“Here Justin, I’ll carry him.” Before Justin could protest Paul picked Patrick up into his arms and carried him back to his dad’s car.

*************

When they emerged from the woods, Adam saw them and panic washed over him when he saw Paul carrying Patrick. He hurried towards them, taking Patrick from his brother.

“What the hell happened,” said Adam to his brother.

“Calm down, Patrick twisted his ankle.”

“And I lost my phone,” confessed Patrick.

Adam carried him to the Rover where Kyle opened the back door so he could sit him down.

“Why didn’t you stay in the car?”

“I needed to clear my head.”

“Now you’re hurt,” Patrick didn’t like being chastised.

“Fine, I made a mistake, you don’t need to bite my head off.” Adam closed his eyes and forced himself to calm down.

“Look, what did the sheriff say?” Paul cut in. Adam looked at him and sighed.

“He said we can go and that he’ll talk to us in the morning.”

“Fine,” said Paul, walking towards his truck.”

“Wait, Paul,” called Kyle. “Are you going home? I can ride with you.”

“No, ride with Adam or dad. I got someplace to be.” Paul didn’t wait for any response as he climbed into his truck and revved the motor before driving off.

Kyle bowed his head in disappointment when his father patted his back.

“You know how he is when coping with things. Come on and ride with me.” Kyle nodded and turned to the car.

“Patrick, I wasn’t trying to be mean. It’s just when I saw Paul carrying you, I thought you got attacked.”

“I’m tired Adam.”

“Okay,” Adam glanced at his father. “Dad, can you wait with Patrick while I go get my jeep?” asked Adam.

“Sure son, go on.”

Adam turned and looked at Patrick, who was now lying back on the seat, with his hands over his face trying to put the pain in his ankle out of his mind. He noticed Kyle hasn’t said a word to Justin who was leaning on the back door of the Rover. Adam stepped to his assistant and nudged his elbow catching his attention.

“Justin why don’t you come and keep me company, said Adam, walking off. The blonde pushed his legs forward to follow Adam without argument. Kyle saw them leaving together and a sharp pain inched into his chest. Troy stared back at the cave thinking of how Perkins was a bastard to his family, but never thought he deserved to die.

“Will we have to cancel the event, dad?” asked Kyle.

“Don’t know. I’ll ask Sheriff Owen tomorrow when he comes by.”

“What are you going to tell mom?”

“The truth. He’s going to find out anyway.

Adam and Justin walked in silence towards the area, he parked his jeep. The area was still dirt covered, but the safe zones to walk to and from the vehicles, had even ground. Tour buses usually parked there.

“How did he get in?” said Adam.

“What?” asked Justin.

“Perkins, how did he get past the guard and for that matter, where is his car?”

“Well, maybe he went the same way Paul left.”

“But that way is fenced off. Only members of the family have a key for that gate.”

“Then someone let him in. Or drove him in.”

“He tried to burn down our house, why would any of us let him in?”

“You want to talk to the guard?” Adam considered it but decided not to.

“No, I don’t want to interfere with the investigation. I’ll ask the Sheriff tomorrow about it. Come on I want to get back to Patrick.” He opened Justin’s door and waited until he got in and closed it. He climbed into his side and started the motor. He looked at Justin catching his eye. “What’s going on with you and Kyle?”

“You mean other than the fact that he’s not into me anymore?”

“Wait, why not?” Justin glanced out his window. The urge to tell Adam about his feeling towards him was overtaking him, but with Patrick acting like the helpless creature, he knew it would only add tension between them.

“I don’t feel like talking about it now.”

“Okay, I won’t push. We all been through a lot tonight. Once we get some sleep everything will seem clearer.”

“Maybe you’re right.”

Adam drove back to the town and pulled up next to his dad’s Rover. His father walked up just as Adam was about to climb out.

“Adam, Patrick wants to ride back with me and Kyle.”

“What, why?” asked Adam, trying to move around his father to find out from Patrick. His father grabbed his shoulders to stop him from going over.

“Not sure, but he’s pretty upset. We got him comfortable and he’s nodded off. There’s no point in moving him again until we get home.” Adam relaxed knowing his father was right.

“Okay, I’ll see you later. Dad, I need to do something so can you get Patrick upstairs to my room and tell him I’ll be back soon?”

“Where are you going now?”

“I need to talk to the Sheriff about something dealing with Perkins.”

“Oh, alright then. We’ll take care of Patrick.”

“Thanks.” He glanced at Justin. “Justin, I need to see the Sheriff do you want to hang out or go back to the house with my dad?”

“I don’t mind staying with you.” He turned back to his dad.

“Okay, Justin and I will see you all later.” Troy glanced from Adam to Kyle, who sat facing forward not even looking Justin’s way. Where a few hours ago couldn’t get enough of the blonde.

“Don’t be long Adam.” His father walked off and climbed into the driver’s seat of his Rover. He waved once more and took off in the direction Paul headed.

Justin climbed out of the jeep shutting the door. Adam shut his and started for the cave door.

“Wait, Patrick’s cell,” said Justin. “We never found it.”

“Crap, I forgot about that. Okay, first we’ll talk to Sheriff Owen, then we’ll search for Patrick’s cell.”

Please leave a review and or like.
And as always thanks.
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It appears that Justin is a better match for Adam -- it's cool the way they talk through cases together -- if his character can stop throwing bedroom eyes at every good-looking man he meets. Plus, he already screwed Kyle and is a liar. Patrick is a liar and a spoiled brat, and Adam has had enough drama. All the sons are acting a decade younger than their actual ages (perhaps you should make them all 10 years younger), and their dad is clueless. People are falling in "love" unrealistically fast, without knowing anything about each other. What a mess. I'm interested in how you'll write your way out of it.

Link to comment
On 10/07/2016 08:31 AM, Geemeedee said:

It appears that Justin is a better match for Adam -- it's cool the way they talk through cases together -- if his character can stop throwing bedroom eyes at every good-looking man he meets. Plus, he already screwed Kyle and is a liar. Patrick is a liar and a spoiled brat, and Adam has had enough drama. All the sons are acting a decade younger than their actual ages (perhaps you should make them all 10 years younger), and their dad is clueless. People are falling in "love" unrealistically fast, without knowing anything about each other. What a mess. I'm interested in how you'll write your way out of it.

There something between Adam and Patrick that no one will understand but them. A single pull that holds them together. I understand why some think they're bad for each other but they think it's right. Justin could be the perfect boyfriend for Adam but he likes to sleep around so it's not going to happen.

I know everyone is acting not their age but they were raised by creative parents who allowed them to be more free spirited them most.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..