Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 2,504 Words
  • 1,144 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 20. Chapter 20

The police search the farm.
Adam finds out about his mother.
Paul blurts something out.

Paul entered the crowded diner and saw Kyle waving to him from a booth. Paul walked over and noticed Kyle already ordered their coffees.

“I added your sugar and cream already,” said Kyle.

“Thanks,” Paul said, sitting down across from him.

“Are you hungry?”

“No, not really.”

“Me neither. You think mom will be alright?”

“Dad’s with him.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“Why wouldn’t he be?”

“I don’t know. I have this aching feeling something's bad is going to happen.”

All Paul could think about was the DVDs. Who took them from his truck and were they the same one’s found near his mother. The police must have seen the damaged TV and disordered room. Are they going to blame his mother for that? His thoughts were going haywire and he hadn’t noticed Kyle talking.

“Paul,” Kyle said, catching his older brother’s attention.

“Yeah?”

“Didn’t you hear me? I said I wanted to go back to the hospital.”

“What—no, let dad handle it.”

Kyle stared back at his brother and saw him slip back into his thoughts ignoring him again. Tired of everyone telling him what to do. Kyle, stood up, dug out some money from his pocket for the bill and left it on the table. Paul wasn’t paying any attention as Kyle walked away.

A sharp pain of guilt tore into Paul’s gut and he knew he needed to come forth with the DVDs and Perkins home. He looked over at an empty seat where Kyle was sitting and realized that he was gone. He saw the money and turned to the door, seeing Kyle walking through it. Paul jumped up to catch up with his brother. Kyle was at a steady pace and Paul had to run to catch him.

“Kyle, I’m sorry.” Kyle never looked at Paul he just kept his focus on what was ahead of him.

“I’m going back to the hospital.”

“Alright, I’ll come with you and I’m going to fix everything.” This caught Kyle’s attention. He looked at Paul confused.

“What are you talking about?” But Paul’s eyes widen when he saw the sight before him. Kyle followed his gaze and witnessed their mother in handcuffs being put into a police cruiser. They saw their father standing there watching. They raced over just as the car pulled off.

“Dad, what’s going on,” demanded Kyle.

“They arrested your mother for the suspicious murder of Eric Perkins,” Troy said still watching the car in the distance.

“What? He didn’t murder him,” said Kyle.

“The police seem to think otherwise.”

“So, you just let them take him?” Kyle said lividly.

“Kyle, calm down, dad had no choice.”

“It’s alright Paul. He’s upset.” Troy walked over to Kyle and place his hand behind his son’s head rubbing his neck. “We’re going to get your mother a lawyer and get him home tonight I promise.” Kyle nodded as Troy pulled him in for a hug. Kyle collected himself as they parted. “Now, I need a ride over to the station.”

“Where’s Tina?” asked Kyle.

“I told her to go back to the farm and tell Adam.”

“Come on, my truck is over here,” said Paul. They all went and climbed into Paul’s truck and road in silence towards the police station.

************

Adam watched as the police rips his childhood home apart. He had no idea what they were looking for.

Detective Tso handed him the warrant. Neither one said a word. Mia and Patrick waited on the porch while Justin helped Adam observe the items they took. Not all the rooms were touched. Adam’s and his brother’s bedrooms were left alone, but everywhere else was searched.

Adam saw Detective Tso glancing at Adam whenever he walked through the room. Adam didn’t give him a second glance.

“Adam,” called Patrick.

“Yeah,” said Adam, glancing back.

“A car is coming.” Adam went out to the porch and saw that it was his mother’s car. A sense of relief washed over him and a ping of pity he felt for the police who was destroying his mother’s house. He was going to give them an ear full. Only it wasn’t his parents it was Tina who drove his mother’s car. Adam walked down and opened her door just as she shut the car off and climbed out.

“Adam, I have terrible news. The police arrested Anton.”

“What? On what charge?”

“Suspicious of the murder of Eric Perkins.” Adam stepped back stunned.

“Why would they think that? Unless…” But he trailed off. Thinking what if the DVDs showed something that pushed his mother to murder?

“Unless what, Adam?” asked Patrick.

Adam wasn’t going to say the words as he collected himself.

“Tina, can you stay here, I need to get to them.”

“Of course.”

“Adam, I want to come,” Patrick said.

“No, I need you here. Better yet Mia can you call a cab and take Patrick over to your motel?”

“Adam…”

“Patrick, just go with Mia okay; I can’t argue with you right now.” Adam didn’t mean to snap at him, but too many things were happening at once for his head to grasp. Justin came out hearing the raised voice of his boss.

“Come on Patrick, I could use the company,” said Mia. Patrick wanted to be useful and if it meant keeping his best friend company then he was glad to do it.

“Okay,” he said.

“Good. Justin, stay here with Tina and keep an eye on the cops.”

“Okay, boss.”

“Keep me in touch.”

“I will.”

Adam walked over to Patrick and kissed his lips.

“I’ll come for you.”

“Alright, tell your mother I’m thinking of him.”

“I will.” Adam kissed him one last time before walking over to Tina. He hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you, Tina.”

No need for that. Go on.” Adam climbed into his jeep and drove off. Tina and Justin went into the house while Mia pulled out her cell and called a cab. Patrick was going to borrow Mia’s cell to make his own call.

************

Anton sat handcuffed to a bar attached to a table that was bolted to the floor. The metal cuffs pressed against Anton's skin from the weight. It annoyed him, causing him to scratch the skin under and around the bracelets turning his flesh red from the irritation. The room was well lit. A wide built-in mirror was on the wall facing Anton which he knew was a two-way.

He knew this from a tour of the station, after a needed—remodeling. A local resident decided to take a short cut through the facility when coming home from the bar.

Becky Tatter drove her brand-new pickup, that she got from her divorce, from her cheating wife, and decided to have a drinking celebration. Witnesses stated the bartender took her keys, but she hot-wired the truck. She drove reckless, causing the truck to flip and barrel rolled through half the station.

No one was at the station at the time because to the Christmas parade and Becky had to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair and served six years for intoxicated, reckless driving under the influence, and destruction of property.

The temperature in the room was comfortable. Anton remembered Sheriff Owen saying they fiddled with the thermostat to throw the detainees off. He wondered if they were doing that to him now. Maybe giving him a false sense of security.

The door opened and Detective Chee entered holding a tray.

“Hi Anton,” he said, smiling as he sat the tray down on the table. “I have a nice bowl of potato soup, a slice of sourdough bread, a green salad, with creamy Italian dressing on the side, a cup of green tea and a bottle of honey so you can sweeten it to taste.”

“What's this for?”

“Well, it's your lunch. Peter sent this from home. He's kind of steamed about us arresting you and told us to not feed you any mind altering drugged food.

“Tell Peter, thank you.”

“I will.”

Anton glanced at his wrist. Detective Chee walked over and removed a small key from his belt.

“Now Anton, I need your word that you're not going to flip out like you did after we photographed and fingerprinted you. Shawn didn't appreciate you kicking him in the shin like that. And when you knocked over Aria's camera, well—that just upset her.”

“Well, he pinched my finger and she spoke rudely to me.”

“They followed all the procedures.”

“They abused their authority and treated me like—a stereotype.”

“Now, you know that's not true.”

“They used the power of their badge to control me.”

“Anton, you knew Shawn all his life. He grew up with Paul and Damien. And Aria babysat for you and Troy.”

“The badge changes people.”

“You and Peter watch to many cop dramas. Now, do I have your word that you will behave.” Anton glanced from his cuffs to the tray of food, back to the cuffs.

“All right, I'll behave.”

“That's all I needed to hear.” He unfastened the cuffs and returned them to his belt along with the key. “We're still waiting for your lawyer to show up. Once he does we'll get down to the questioning. Unless you want to talk now?”

“Troy would want me to wait.”

“Alright, I'll be back soon for the tray. But if you need anything else just knock on the door.”

“Why are you treating me so nice when you arrested me for murder?”

“We just want to get answers, Anton. If you feel you’re innocent, then just talk to us and maybe we can clear this up.”

“I’ll wait.”

“Fine, enjoy your meal.”

“Wait, can I see Troy?”

“I’ll ask Sheriff Owen.” Detective Chee walked out, leaving Anton to his meal and thoughts.

************

Adam arrived and Troy was able to catch his son as he barged into the station.

“Adam,” said Troy. “Over here,” he gestured to a group of chairs that were unoccupied.

“Dad what's going on, why do they think mom killed Perkins?”

“I'll explain everything. Is Tina at the house?”

“Yeah, and the police are there with a warrant.”

“They are? Chris didn't tell me that.”

“Why should he? He's too busy arresting my mother.”

“Adam, calm down.”

“He didn't do it, Dad.”

“I know he didn't.” Troy managed to get Adam to sit down but for only a minute. He jumped up and started to pace.

“Then what-the-fuck is going on?”

“I called a lawyer to arrange a possible bail.”

“What the hell are they searching for in our house Adam?” barked Paul.

“I don’t know, they kept taking DVDs. I left Justin there to watch them.”

“That son-of-a-bitch Perkins was blackmailing him!” Paul blurted out.” Making him pay with sex.” Troy looked over at Paul horrify by what he said. Adam rose to his feet and angled his eyes at Paul.

“Take it back Paul,” said Adam.

“Adam,” said Troy, trying to keep a cool head about what Paul said.

“Take what back?” asked Paul. “The truth? Because that's what-the-fuck it is, the truth.”

“No, it's not!”

Paul and Adam never saw eye to eye on important issues. When Adam joined the military, Paul said he was running away. When Adam joined the force, Paul told him he was on a death wish. When he had a breakdown, and went to stay with Damien, Paul told him he was playing the martyr.

“Dammit Adam, why would I lie about something so disgusting?”

“You didn't need to say it like that!”

“Well, how was I to say it? Should I have butter coat it? Are you that sensitive, tough guy? Adam lunged at Paul but Troy managed to get between them. Kyle sat quietly watching. Two officers rushed over and help, pulling the brothers apart when Sheriff Owen made an appearance.

“Okay, that's enough!” he said. “I want order in my station, now!” They all stopped as the officers released Adam and Paul. “Now listen. I know you're all upset but I can't allow you to disrupt this office. Now you can either keep the peace or leave. Which is it?”

“It's fine Sheriff,” stated Troy. “They'll be calm. Right?” Troy asked his sons. Adam and Paul took a step back and both nodded.

“Good,” said Chris. “Now, any word on your lawyer Troy.”

“No.”

“Well then, we can get one from the courthouse for you if you want. The later it gets the chances of bail today is slim.”

“You mean he would have to spend the night?” Kyle said, in a soft distant voice.

“That's a possibility Kyle, sorry.” Sheriff Owen's noticed Kyle's pale skin, and perspiration on his upper lip and forehead. “Kyle, are you alright?” Before Kyle could speak, his eyes fluttered as he fell forward. Everyone rushed to his aid. “Hold on, we can take him into the office, there's a couch there,” said the sheriff.

“Dad, we got him,” said Paul, referring to Adam who didn't hesitate in helping Paul carry Kyle to the office. They place him down, and a rolled-up blanket was placed under his head as Troy covered his boy with his coat.

“Do you want me to call the doctor?” asked the sheriff. Before Troy could answer Kyle started to come around.

“No, it's okay, he's waking up,” said Troy kneeling beside him and brushing his hair. An officer came in with a glass of water for Kyle handing it to Troy. Troy nodded his thanks and held the glass to Kyle.

“What's going on?” Kyle asked, the color in his cheeks, returning.

“Kyle, drink this,” said Troy. Helping his son to sit up.

“Kyle took the glass of water and swallowed it down. He tried to get up, but was stopped by his father.

“Stay where you are, for now, you fainted.”

“I fainted? I don't remember.”

“Well, you did.”

“It could be that he didn't eat anything for some time. I can go get him something now?” said Paul.

“No, I'll have something delivered,” said the Sheriff. He left the room, shutting the door.

“Is that it, Kyle, are you hungry?” asked his dad.

“Yeah, I guess that’s it. Can I sit up; I feel weird?” Troy stood as Kyle swung his feet off the couch and his father sat next to him.

“Hey,” said Paul. “Sorry for letting that stuff about mom come out like that. I didn't mean to upset everyone. Paul looked up and noticed Adam wasn't in the room with them. “Where's Adam?” he asked. Before Troy could speak a deputy walked in.

“Mr. Potter, your lawyer's here.”

“Thank god,” he said. “Paul, stay with Kyle.”

“No dad, I'm alright, I'm coming,” said Kyle jumping up but nearly losing his balance. Paul grabbed his arm to steady him.

“It's okay dad, I'll hold on to Kyle.” Troy nodded and left the office. A well-dressed man with salon grooming stood by Sheriff Owen.

Crazy!
Thanks for reading and again please leave a review and or like it you enjoyed this.
Thanks again
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..