Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 2,019 Words
  • 13,314 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Homecoming - 9. Chapter 9

Time to eat cake and open presents.
Plus Anton learns some shocking news.
Patrick and Justin have words...

The lights were turned off as everyone released a choir of happy birthday in honor of Adam. He watched as Anton walked towards them holding a whipped cream frosted cake with thirty candles gleaming on top. ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY ADAM’ was written in colored icing.

The cake was Adam’s favorite, half chocolate and red velvet. It was placed in front of Adam, who was urged to make a wish. He glanced at Patrick, who sat on his right, and the wish came to him. He filled his lungs with air and released it extinguishing every candle, darkening the room. Everyone cheered and clapped as Troy turned on the lights.

Adam cut the first piece and took a taste of the rich, velvety, texture and the gentle sweet chocolate. He remembered loving the first bite when he was a kid and the feeling hasn’t changed. He looked at his mom and smiled his approval as Anton leaned down and kissed his closed mouth. Troy gave his youngest son a kiss as well as Anton took charge and cut everyone a piece of cake.

Adam fed a piece to Patrick, who enjoyed it enough to moan an approval. Coffee was served as they all dug into the cake. Afterwards, everyone grabbed their gifts for the birthday boy and gathered in the living room. Adam sat in the middle of the couch, Patrick was put on his right, Tina was seated on Adam’s left, Kyle pulled Justin onto the floor at the coffee table while Anton and Troy sat on a loveseat.

Everyone held their gifts and waited to see who was going first. Which was up to Adam. He glanced around at the smiling faces and his eyes landed on Tina, his surrogate mother who remained in his life as his and his brother’s godmother. Kyle was the only one of the brothers who resembled Tina in the eyes and mouth. He was her favorite even though she would never say it. He was the one she emailed, and sent the coolest presents too.

“I want to see Tina’s first,” said Adam. Tina flashed her teeth and handed Adam his present. He unwrapped it and saw a photo album. He opened it and saw photos of him when he stayed with her overseas during a few summers when he was between eight and eleven years old. Anton and Troy only allowed two of the boys to go at a time, so not to overwhelm Tina with entertaining them. They sent Adam with Damien, then Paul with Kyle so the oldest would always be responsible for their younger sibling.

Adam noticed that all the pictures had captions of where they were taken and when. Also, a memento like a flower bud, a leaf, a ticket stub from a train, and theater, a token they used on a bus and foreign money.

“I wanted you to remember the time we had together,” Tina said.

Adam turned the pages and saw when they were at the airport, riding buses, walking, eating at the beach. His brother Damien was in the photos with him which made Adam’s heart ache for Damien’s absents. Adam passes the album to his parents and they were impressed with the care of each photo.

“I love it. Thank you, Tina.” He leaned over and hugged and kissed her on the cheek. He turned to Kyle, Justin was resting against. “Okay, big brother, let’s see it.”

Kyle didn’t seem rattled as he whipped out a purple envelope and handed it to Adam.

“This I know you will love.” Adam opened the envelope and pulled out a gift card.

Patchy Paintball Playing Field,” said Adam, glancing at his brother with a challenging eye. “Sure, you want to go there, big brother? I’ve gotten better.”

“Yeah, yeah, we’ll see, because I made sure there’s enough in there for the family to go and have a show off.”

“How did you afford that?” asked Troy.

“I sold the models I made at the trade show and earned enough to afford it.”

“Kyle,” said Anton, surprised. “You loved those statues.”

“Yeah, but I wanted to have fun with my family so it’s a win-win.” We can do it tomorrow before you leave. Justin, Patrick and Tina are coming to.

Troy tousled Kyle’s hair and Anton gave him a kiss on the top of his head.

“Thanks Kyle, but you know I’ll still have to destroy you?” said Adam.

“We shall see,” said Troy, who always had Kyle on his team.

Adam looked at his parents and wasn’t sure which to pick. Troy answered for him.

“Me and your mom got you something together.” He looked to Anton who smiled at his husband. “But it’s not here yet, but it’s on the way.” Adam looked at them and shrugged it off knowing to ask any questions would be useless. He looked at Justin and didn’t expect a gift from his assistant, but Justin smiled and spoke up.

“My gift is upstairs, I wasn’t sure if I should intrude with your family giving you their gifts,” said Justin looking around.

“Well, that’s ridiculous,” said Anton, taking the lead. “You get your butt up and get that gift young man your apart of this family.” Justin blushed, jumping to his feet and running upstairs.

“I should go help him,” said Kyle, getting to his feet to follow the blonde.

“Sit your butt down,” ordered Troy. Everyone laughed as Kyle dropped down to the floor defeated. Anton comforted him by rustling his hair. Justin returned holding an arm’s length wrapped package and handed it to Adam.

“Justin, you didn’t need to get this for me.”

“I saw it and knew it was you, boss.” Adam ripped the paper way, revealing a black, leather, quarter length coat. He held it up for everyone to see. Patrick gave a great performance in pretending to be happy.

“Oh, how lovely,” said Anton.

“Try it on Adam,” said Kyle. Adam stood and Patrick played the virtuous boyfriend and held the coat open for him to slip on. It fitted him perfectly. Adam modeled it for everyone. Justin rose and walked over to him.

“See, the inside lining has a place to hide your gun, so you can get to it without trouble.”

“Why would he need a gun?” asked Anton, still smiling. Justin stopped and looked back at him.

“He’s a detective mom, he has to have a gun,” Kyle stated as a matter of fact.

“But I don’t often use it,” said Adam.

“Well, after that big case with the Harlequin killer, I would be packing,” said his brother.

“What big case?” asked Anton. Adam gave Kyle a warning stare to stop talking. To which he looked back confused.

“Adam saved my life,” said Patrick, looking at Anton. “He’s a hero.”

“You shot someone?” asked Anton.

“No, but… “

“The killer attacked him in his office and then tried to bury us alive in an open grave,” Patrick continued.

“What!?” said Anton, standing looking terrified at his youngest son.

“Mom, I’m all right. It’s over,” Adam tried to calm him. Anton looked at Patrick and remember reading in the paper a while back that the Valdez only son was being stalked by a mask killer dubbed the Harlequin.

“You’re that Valdez? You brought a stalker to my son’s door?” Patrick could see the change in Anton Potter’s face go from cheerful to resentment when he spoke to him. Adam stepped between Patrick and his mother.

“Mom, stop it. It wasn’t Patrick’s fault,” snapped Adam. Anton looked at him, then turned and walked out the room. Adam exhaled at his mom’s behavior.

“Okay, calm down, I’ll go talk to him,” said Troy, following Anton. Tina went along to help.

Adam was tired of his mom still treating him like a baby. Kyle knew it was his mouth that started this chaos.

“Sorry Adam, dad said he was going to tell mom, but I guess he never got around to it.”

“I asked him not to tell him. So, this is my fault,” said Adam, brushing his hair back.

Justin watch as Patrick slipped away. He knew full well this was Patrick’s fault for bringing up the attack on Adam’s life. Adam turned to talk to Patrick when he found him gone.

“Where did Patrick go?” Adam asked.

“I saw him go upstairs, maybe the bathroom?” said Justin.

Adam walked off looking for him as Justin jumped up, grabbed his jacket out of the closet and went to the back door. The direction Patrick was headed.

“Where are you going?” asked Kyle.

“I’ll meet you at the barn.” Then he was out the door. Kyle pushed the drama out of his head and stood and grabbed his jacket and headed for the barn.

***************

Anton walked out the front door without a coat and closed his arms around his body trying desperately not to scream. Troy and Tina gathered their coat and followed. Tina walked up to Anton and placed her hands on his arms that were shaking. Troy walked up and handed Tina Anton’s coat who coasted Anton to put it on.

“Anton, you need to stop looking at the boys as children. We did our part. Now it’s up to them what path they take,” said Troy.

“I know. Don’t you think I know that?” said Anton, sniffing his tears back.

“You shouldn’t worry about Adam. He’s a confident, strong man who can handle anything that’s thrown at him,” said Tina. “You and Troy did an amazing job with the boys.” Anton looked at Tina and knew she was downgrading her part in raising the boys.

“You had a part in the boys turning into the men they are today. Stop washing over that.” Anton hugged her close. Then a wave of guilt washed over him. “Oh god, the way I spoke to Patrick after what he’s been through. He must hate me.”

“Of course, he doesn’t,” said Troy. Come on, we’ll go and apology and eat more cake.”

“Not going to happen champ, I saw how much you ate at dinner.”

“Well, stop cooking so well and I’ll eat less.”

*************

Patrick heard laughter coming from in front of the house, and started walking towards it when Justin grabbed his arm turning him to face him.

“We need to talk,” said Justin.

“Oh, do we? Well, let me guess? Does it have anything to do with that leather coat you bought—my, boyfriend?”

“No, I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with, is you, ruining his life.”

“Said the Saint.”

“Patrick—this is not your world. Why don’t you go back and find some duke or prince who can handle someone like you? All you’ll ever bring to Adam is misery.”

“Who the fuck, do you think you’re talking to? You come from money Justin, maybe not at my level, but you were born into money. So, don’t take the high road with me because you walked away from it.”

“Would you.”

“Would I what?”

“Walk away from it. For him? Because I assure you, he’s not going to follow you over the hedge.”

“You don’t know anything, but the sad fantasy you’re manifesting in your mind.” Patrick stepped close to Justin. Their faces inches from touching. “You need to understand something. Adam doesn’t want a little tramp like you who can’t commit, and once you’ve broken his brother’s heart like you do so many. He’s really not going to look at you in any way, but, employer and employee.” Patrick shoved Justin and he stumbled backwards losing his balance and landing on his ass. Patrick stared down at him with superiority radiating from him. “Know your place, Justin, you’ll be happier.” Patrick turned and walked on, turning the corner of the house and walking out of sight.

Justin stood fuming, knowing Patrick had his claws in Adam, and any interference could cost him his friendship with him and maybe his job. He turned heel and headed for the barn to release stress with Kyle.

That went South fast.
Thanks for reading and please leave a review and or like.
Your feedback and comment is most welcomed.
Denise Matthews 2016
  • Like 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Justin is being quite the brat. Seems like he's jealous of Patrick. Lots of drama in this chapter. I'm surprised that Anton didn't know about the Harlequin case. Or was it Troy? Sorry... I get them mixed up. lol Gotta love family dynamics. That was a sweet present that his brother got Adam. Hopefully things will smooth out in the next chapter. I'm wondering what Patrick got him. Something extravagant, no doubt. ;)

Link to comment
On 10/02/2016 11:36 AM, Valkyrie said:

Justin is being quite the brat. Seems like he's jealous of Patrick. Lots of drama in this chapter. I'm surprised that Anton didn't know about the Harlequin case. Or was it Troy? Sorry... I get them mixed up. lol Gotta love family dynamics. That was a sweet present that his brother got Adam. Hopefully things will smooth out in the next chapter. I'm wondering what Patrick got him. Something extravagant, no doubt. ;)

It was Anton who didn't know. Troy knew he would over react.

Justin is harvesting deep feelings for Adam and it's escalating.

Thanks for reviewing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..