Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 4,651 Words
  • 1,094 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 15. Chapter 15

Happy New Years to all my readers
This is an extra gift chapter to open the new year.
Adam takes a road trip.
Patrick goes home.

“So, we’re taking a road trip,” Justin said, fastening his seatbelt.

“No, I’m taking a road trip, you’re going home or where ever, and keeping your cell phone close by because I will be calling you. I’ll be on the road for a couple of hours, so you can text me if you need me.”

“Why can’t I come with you?”

“I told you this before. You only do the research, I do the investigation.”

“But you shouldn’t go there alone.”

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry. I already have Patrick for that. And if Patrick asks where I am, just tell him I’m out and I’ll be back soon. If he needs me he can just call or text.”

Adam pulls up to his building and put the jeep in park as he waited for Justin to climb out. Justin hesitated before closing the door. He turned back to Adam feeling a sensation of dread.

“Your gun, do you have it.” Adam valued Justin’s concern for his wellbeing. The very reason Adam wouldn’t take Justin out in the field with him. he would become a distraction that could get either of them killed. Adam would never be able to live with himself if anyone he loved died because he wasn’t focused. Adam leaned over and opened his glove compartment. The hand gun laid in its black leather holster.

“Bullets and all,” Adam assured him.

“Just be careful Adam.”

“I will. You can knock off early. Oh, and your paycheck is in my desk drawer.”

“Wait, where are you going?”

“Never mind that. Just keep your cell close. Okay?”

“Okay boss.” Justin shut his door and watched as Adam drove off. He wondered if Patrick gets knots in his stomach whenever Adam went to work.

***********

A male, built like Patrick’s slender frame, pushed Patrick against the wall of the elevator. Patrick struggled to right himself as he watched the person press the button for the lobby.

“What the hell,” said Patrick. The male turned back to him and smiled.

“Sorry, I didn’t want my boyfriend to see me following him,” said Jamie Steward.

“And who would that boyfriend be?” asked Patrick, staring at the male wearing jeans, tee, and sneakers.

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t know you or your boyfriend.”

“Sure, you do. Does Yuri Jen, ring a bell?”

Patrick became speechless, hearing Yuri’s name from his lips. Then he remembered seeing Adam with a young man, on the day Yuri kissed him. Adam was carrying his bags from an expensive department store.

Patrick had forgotten he’d seen them. He studied him for a moment and noticed the clothes he wore were of high quality, but his mannerism showed something different. He was bragging that he was Yuri’s lover, but Patrick watched as he switched weight from one foot to the other. Patrick rose his head and took a step towards him and caught him biting his lower lip. He moved close to Jamie as if he was going to kiss him, then a loud beep came from the elevator as they came to a halt. Jamie looked over and saw Patrick’s finger on the emergency stop button.

“Why did you do that?” asked Jamie, Patrick ignored his question and asked one of his own.

“So, you’re Jamie Steward?” he asked, stepping back with a smirk on his face.

“How do you know my name?” asked Jamie, again Patrick ignored him.

“I have to say, Yuri did a good job with cleaning you up, only, the stench is still there.”

Jamie frowned at Patrick’s comment and grabbed the collar of his top and sniffed it finding no bad odor. Patrick smiled and shook his head at the confused male.

“It’s not a scent,” said Patrick. “It’s a way of being.” Patrick saw the confused look on Jamie’s face his statement made. “How should I put it?” Patrick tilted his head. “You can wash and dress them, but trash will always be trash. Understand?” Jamie’s muddled look turned to contempt towards Patrick. Patrick of course ignored him and reached over and restarted the elevator returning to the opposite side of the lift.

Jamie met guys like Patrick in his school who felt they were above him in all aspects. He loath them, but in his own way he got his revenge. Either by playing a prank on them or outright punching them, but not with the presents of any faculty. In this case he knew he would hear it from Yuri if he struck Patrick, so he had to hurt him with his words. He quickly hit the stop button on the elevator, Patrick lost his balance, but regained it, turning, and glaring at Jamie.

“You know,” began Jamie. “I met a lot of guys like you from school.”

“Yuri’s sending you to school? Well, la-di-da.”

“And I come to realize that a lot of you are very insecure.”

“And you opened a book, good for you.”

“So, I understand you being jealous of Yuri’s and my relationship.” Patrick rolled his eyes at Jamie and shook his head.

“You don’t know a dam thing about me.”

“I know your relationship with Adam is shaky.” Patrick snapped his attention back to Jamie and gave away his feelings. “Didn’t you know? Adam is my bodyguard.”

“I’m aware of it,” said Patrick turning his attention away.

“The way Adam protected me when those men broke into the penthouse.”

“What?” said Patrick, looking at Jamie.

“Didn’t he tell you? How he put himself in harm’s way to shield me. He was incredible, fighting two against one.”

Patrick had no idea Adam had put himself in danger. Tension grew in his stomach at the thought of Adam getting injured or killed.

“I feel much safer with Adam around,” said Jamie.

“He’s only doing his job. Once Yuri ship you off to school they will be done with you.”

“Is that a hint of jealousy in your tone?” asked Jamie.

“You should really try opening your eyes and see who Yuri and Adam are looking at,” said Patrick.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Jamie.

“Oh, nothing that looking in a mirror wouldn’t solve.” Patrick walked over and reached to turn on the elevator when Jamie grabbed his wrist causing pain. “Let go of me,” Patrick ordered.

“Not until you tell me what you ment by that?”

“Oh, come on, you haven’t figured it out? Such a shame.” Patrick wrenched his wrist free from Jamie’s grip and restarted the elevator.

“Rich boys like you think you can say or do whatever you like.”

“That’s how our fathers raised us,” Patrick said.

“Then what are you doing with Adam? He’s more like me than you.”

“He’s nothing like you. Adam comes from a loving family like I do. Our bond is deeper than anything either of us had with anyone else.”

“So, you say.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”

“Maybe you should open your own eyes and see that your, pretend, happy life with Adam is just a fantasy you invented.” The slap came with such force that even shocked Patrick, but he wasn’t going to stop there.

“You're nothing but backwoods trash stuck on the bottom of Yuri’s shoe. When he realizes that, he’s going to ship you out of his life.” The door opened, and Yuri was there with his body guards. Seeing Jamie and Patrick together, stunned him at how they did have similar likeness except for Jamie covering his red cheek. Patrick stormed past his former lover who tried to stop him by reaching for his hand, but Patrick avoided Yuri’s grasp and hurried off.

Yuri turned to Jamie, who moved to Yuri and embraced him.

Patrick rushed out of the Duet and waited as the door man flagged down a cab for him just as his cell phone rang.

“Hello,” he said, trying to calm his shaking voice.

“Patrick, are you, all right?” asked his mother Drusilla.

“Mother,” he said, taking a deep breath, and letting it out before answering. “I’m fine. Just had a busy day. Did you get my text about the caterer?”

“Yes, and thank you for doing that for me.”

“I don’t mind helping.”

“Did you get fitted for your suit with Michael?”

“Yes, and I loved it. He’s going to deliver them to the mansion tomorrow morning.”

“Wonderful, I’ll tell Shilo.”

“So, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

“That’s why I’m calling. I’m wondering if you could come down, today.”

“Today? Well…”

“I know it’s short noticed, but the preparations are getting a bit much.”

“You’re not over doing it, are you?”

“There’s tasks that need to be done.”

“You have people for that.”

“You know I oversee these things. It just happens that It’s become harder.”

“What about father?”

“Please don’t worry him over this. I’m fine, really.”

“I guess me, and Adam can come down tonight.”

“Could you—possibly come now?”

“Now? I don’t know. I should talk to Adam.”

“Please Patrick, everything is going wrong,” she said getting frantic.

“Okay, okay, calm down mother, I’m coming. I’ll call Adam and explain everything to him.”

“Thank you, Patrick.”

They disconnected just as the cab pulled up. Patrick climbed in and informed the driver his destination. He pressed one number on his cell to speed dial Adam. He waited, and the connection sent him to Adam’s voice mail. Which meant he was working. Patrick thought over the situation and called the office hoping he was there. Justin answered.

“Adam Potter Detective Agency, this is Justin, how can I help you?”

“Justin, it’s Patrick.”

“Of course, it is.” Patrick held his tongue on Justin’s comment.

“I need to speak to Adam.”

“He’s not here, call his cell.”

“I did, it took me to his voice mail.”

“Then he’s working.”

“No shit,” Patrick snapped. “Look, I need to get in touch with him.”

“Then text him.”

“Fuck,” snapped Patrick hanging up. “Text him,” he sneered. “I need to speak to him.” Feeling at a lost, he texted Adam where he was going and told him to call him back as soon as possible.

**************

Adam saw the sign for the town, WillowMoss, population 20 thousand; 20 miles. Tree lined neighborhoods with a view of the mountains. ‘A Place to Call Home.’, the caption stated. Adam had been on the road for about an hour and a half with no rest. He hadn’t seen the text from Patrick to call him because it never came through. He noticed a gas station up ahead and checked his gas meter and saw he still had a quarter of a tank. Adam decided he’ll get gas once he reached the town.

***************

Patrick arrived at the estate, Shilo wore a charming pantsuit and two female staff members wearing traditional black dress with white apron on top, greets him. They opened the cab door for him and as he climbed out someone paid the cab driver his fare with tip.

“Shilo,” said Patrick smiling at his mother’s woman. “I wasn’t expecting you to greet me.”

“Your mother asked me to, sir, and I was happy to.” They walked side by side up the stone steps to the main door. “Your mother is in the green room having lunch. She asked that you join her.”

“Of course. Shilo?”

“Yes, sir?”

“Is my mother well?”

“She is.” They reached the front door that someone held open for them, but Patrick hesitated.

“I mean, really, well. She’s not having any problems with her heart?”

“No, sir. In fact, the doctor was just here, giving her a physical, and gave her a clean bill of health.”

“Well, that’s good.” He entered the house and two different female staff members wearing matching uniforms, greets him with smiles. One took his coat and he thanked them as he walked with Shilo through the grand house.

“I’m here to help with the party,” said Patrick, glancing at his cell phone for a response from Adam, but none were there.”

“Yes, your room is ready, and we will go and pick up yours and Mr. Potters things tonight.”

“Yes, that’s just it. Adam is working and hasn’t returned my text, so I couldn’t tell him about the change of plans.”

“Well then, we’ll wait until he contacts you before going over.”

“Yes, that would be wise. He’s still not comfortable with people doing things for me.” They reached the doors to the green room.

“I will wait for your instructions, Master Valdez.”

Shilo opened the double sliding door and stepped aside for Patrick to enter. The green room had high ceilings, matched with tall framed windows that dominated most of the wall space. Greenery conquered on both sides of the windows as an iron leg, heavy oak, oval table sat in the middle of the room covered with an earth colored table cloth.

Patrick didn’t see his mother at the table that was set for the afternoon meal. Instead, she stood photographing the tree outside that stood there long before the construction of the house. Neither she or his father had the heart to cut it down, so instead they built the house around it, making sure the roots had room to stretch. Patrick remembered playing on the old tree he called, old woman.

The curve of its trunk and branches made it easy to climb and rest on. Its thick leaves kept the hot sun off him and occasionally it would sprout fruit that was safe to eat. Patrick waited until she finished snapping pictures, with her digital camera and seemed satisfied with her work as she reviewed them on the screen.

She turned to him, and to Patrick, looked healthy and lovely as always. She looked up and caught glimpse of Patrick. With a bright smile she lowered her camera and placed it on a nearby table, moving towards her son. She pinned back her black grayish hair from her face, leaving it flowing down her back. She wore a simple cotton dress that button up from the front with roman sandals. Her slim frame was only visible when she walked.

“Patrick, you’re here,” Drusilla said, hugging her only child.

“How are you feeling?” he asked, as they separated.

“I’m fine, now that you’re here. Come, let’s eat, I’m famished.” They’re seated and right away served their meals. “So,” said Drusilla. “I hear Yuri Jen, is back in town.” The vision of Yuri, kissing him suddenly popped into his head. Patrick’s blushed and avoided eye contact with his mother.

“Yes,” he began, trying to push the thought out of his head. “He was having coffee with father.”

“Yes, and your father mention that you were working at the time, as his server.”

“Yes, I got a job. Then, I lost it, by causing a fire.”

“You were in the kitchen?”

“Yes.”

“I see.” Her tone wasn’t callous but sympathetic. Patrick remember something that was in his defense.

“I was in the kitchen with Adam. He showed me how to clean dishes and cook, but—I cut my finger.”

“So, Adam is domesticating you?”

“He’s showing me how to take care of myself.”

“So, you don’t depend on your money.”

“Mother, I liked cleaning and cooking with Adam. It makes me feel closer to him.”

“Something none of the others made you feel?”

“They all took care of me, except Gavin. And so, does Adam, but with Adam I feel like I can take care of him also.”

“Then, if that makes you happy, how can I argue with that.”

“I wish father would understand like you. This weekend is going to be a game changer for me and Adam. Father’s going to see how happy we are and just accept our love.”

“He will, just be patient.”

*************

Adam’s drive through WillowMoss showed nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, it reminded Adam of his home town. He found a parking spot near a diner and decided to have something to eat. The place was busy with the lunch crowd. A young man stood at the host stand. He wore a tie with a clean white shirt, and slacks. His hair was long and tied in one long braid that draped down his back. He looked about eighteen. Adam walked up, when the younger man saw him, a bright smile spread across his face.

“Hello and welcome,” he said. Adam noticed his name tag.

“Hi, Shawn,” responded Adam.

“How many people in your party?”

“Only one, me.”

“Well, do you mind sitting at the counter, there’s no waiting?”

“The counter will be fine.”

Okay, just follow me.” Shawn grabbed a menu and turned to lead Adam to his table.

“Adam looked around the room and saw mostly groups of people having lunch together. Which made sense. Shawn presented a free stool at the counter for Adam with a smile.

“Enjoy your meal,” said Shawn, handing him his menu.

“Thank you,” Adam said, taking a seat. He noticed a chalk board on the wall behind the counter with the day's specials. Soup: Potato with chives, bacon bits and cheese and a slice of cheesy garlic bread. Meal 1: Southern fried steak with 2 choices of sides and choice of drink. Meal 2: Chef Salad with choice of dressing and choice of drink.

“Hi,” said a perky young man with his brown wavy hair under a hair net. His name tag read Cole.

“Hello, yourself,” said Adam.

“You’re new,” Cole said.

“I am.”

“Passing through?”

“You can say that.”

“We get a lot of visitors.”

“Why is that?”

“I don’t know.” Adam caught Cole dropping his smile then recovering. “Would you like a drink first or do you know what you want?”

“I know what I want,” Adam said, closing his menu. Cole pulled out his pad to write down Adam’s order. “Give me the soup special without the bread.”

“Okay, and your drink?”

“Just water, please.”

Cole diligently wrote the order down and smiled one last time at Adam before walking away. Adam watched as Cole gave the slip to the cook by placing it between a clamp connected to a spinning device. He then grabbed a clean glass filled it with ice water and returned to Adam. He placed the glass down, reached into his apron and pulled out a straw sitting it beside the glass.

Adam wondered why he did that when a straw dispenser sat in hands reach. Adam glanced at the straw and noticed the number 34 in red written on the paper sleeve. Adam looked over to where Cole went and saw him talking to another young man then glanced back at Adam, flashing him a smile. Adam smiled back, then looked around, and saw that all the servers in the diner where young men. Not one female, he also noticed that most of the patrons where older men, ten years his senior.

“Maybe a fluke?” thought Adam. His soup came, served by a different waiter, dark skin with a buzz cut on the side of his head and his hair on top shaped like a shark fin. He had hazel eyes that seem to shimmer, his name tag read Peter. Adam also discovered the male workers were all lean, with little bulging muscles with flexibility, their features were a bit feminine. “Thank you,” said Adam.

“You’re welcome,” Peter said, placing a napkin on the table, before walking away. Already having a napkin Adam picked it up and turned it over seeing the number 15 in red written small in the corner. He placed both items in his pocket and ate his soup, while his servers watched him.

He finished his meal and without signaling anyone, Cole walked up.

“Enjoying your soup?” he asked with a smile.

“I am, thank you.”

“You’re so welcome. Will there be anything else?”

“No, just the check.”

“Well, here you go.” Normally a server would place the check on the table, but Cole held it out to Adam waiting for him to take it. Unsure if he should, Adam didn’t want to make waves. He reached out and grabbed the check trying not to make contact but once he grasped it Cole purposely brushed his fingers against Adam. Adam pulled the paper out of Cole’s hand continuing to smile. Cole didn’t care that Adam flinched, he just smiled back. “Hope to see you soon.” Was all he said before walking away to deal with his other customers.

Adam went to the register which was at the host table to pay his bill. Shawn walked up and flashed another warm smile.

“Did you enjoy your stay?”

“I did,” said Adam, handing him his bill. Shawn took it without any funny business and proceeded to ring in the charges. Adam paid with his business card and signed. Shawn gave him his copy of the receipt.

“Come back soon.”

“Thank you.” Adam left heading back to his jeep when he took a glance at his receipt. There in the upper right corner was the number 2 in red.

************

After lunch Drusilla showed Patrick the areas of the house where the party would take place and the wing of the house where the guest would retire to. Patrick’s room was in a private wing where his parents slept, just down the hall. He couldn’t wait for Adam to share his room and bed.

“Of course, the courtyard will be opened if the weather permits,” Drusilla said, gazing out of two glass doors that led to the courtyard connected to the middle of the house. All three floors had cast-iron balconies that overlooked the lavish view of floral vines, cobble stone, and old-world décor. Strings of colorful small paper lanterns crisscrossed over the yard reaching to the third floor.

“This is one of my favorite places here,” said Patrick. His mother glanced at him and noticed his mind was on something else.

“You know we hope to see you married here and your reception held here in the courtyard.” Patrick blinked away his thoughts and looked at her.

“Would you both still want that, if the groom was Adam?”

“If he is who you love, then yes.”

“Are you speaking for just yourself, mother?”

“For both of us,” said Cyprus. They turned to see Cyprus dressed casually, no tie or suit; a button up top with relaxed slacks holding a small gift bag with colorful tissue wrap sticking out the top.

“You’re home early,” Drusilla said, moving towards him. Patrick watched as they embraced. Cyprus looked towards his only son and smiled as he held his wife in one arm and opened his other arm to welcome his son into his hold. Patrick went to his parents and wrapped his arms around his mother and father.

“This is a greeting I could get used to again,” said Cyprus, as they parted.

“So, all your work is complete for this weekend?” asked Drusilla.

“As requested, I will not be disturbed for the next three days,” said Cyprus.

“Wonderful, this is going to be a perfect weekend,” said Drusilla, when a light flashed outside in the courtyard. The boom in the sky came a few seconds after and the drops of water began tapping at the glass as the rain fell. “Well, almost perfect,” she sighed. Cyprus walked up behind her and pulled her close to him.

“Never fear, my sweet. I check the weather forecast and they swore on their lives that there will be no rain during your celebration.”

“Our celebration,” she corrected.

“I celebrated the day you said yes.”

Shilo entered the room followed by a staff of females who each held trays of food.

“Lunch is served,” Shilo announced.

They ate together and as two staff members cleared their dishes. Drusilla wanted to know what was in the bag Cyprus had with him. They retired to the library Cyprus and Drusilla sat on a love seat. While Patrick walked over to a nearby window and watched the pouring rain.

Shilo entered with hot tea and cookies, placing the tray on the coffee table in front of the couple.

“Cyprus, I thought we decided no gift since we’re throwing a party?” asked Drusilla.

“There was no way I was not going to shower my wife with gifts on this amazing day.”

“But I—Cyprus…” Cyprus grabbed his wife and pulled her in for a kiss. Drusilla could feel the world spinning as the embrace consumed her. Cyprus slowly released her and stared into the eyes that matched his son’s.

“You have given me two priceless gifts. Saying yes, when I asked you to marry me and our precious son.”

Drusilla’s tears slid down her smiling cheeks as Cyprus wiped them away with his thumbs and kissed her again. Neither had noticed Patrick’s departure.

*************

Patrick went to his room and sat on the window bench. The rain outside wasn’t heavy, but did fall steadily. He pulled out his cell phone and pressed the number 1, to speed dial Adam. Watching his parent’s happiness made him long for his detective. He listened and waited to hear Adam’s voice. What seemed like an eternity of ringing finally paid off when the ringing stopped.

“Leave a message and I’ll get back to you.” Patrick listened to Adam’s answering machine until the beep. He paused before speaking, collecting his frustration.

“Adam—call me back, it’s important. I’m at my parent’s.” He hung up. Lowering his cell to his lap and looking out the window at the rain.

************

Adam returned to the diner going back to the host named Shawn.

“You’re back?” Shawn said surprised.

“Yeah, I forgot something,” Adam said.

“An item you left?”

“No, to ask a question.”

“All right.”

“Do you know a Christopher Huge?”

Adam watched Shawn’s expression flicker for a second, then returned normally.

“Sorry, never heard of him,” Shawn said, suddenly glancing around hoping he’s needed somewhere.

“Perhaps you know the last name, Huge?”

“Sorry.” Shawn shook his head, looking down at the podium at his seating station book. “I need to get back to work.”

“Why are you so nervous?”

“I’m not,” he snapped, looking back at Adam then his eyes drifted over his shoulder and Adam watched as Shawn’s mannerism shift back to normal.

“Busy day Shawn,” said a raspy voice of a male. Adam turned and saw a blonde-haired male wearing a fire fighter issued blue tee with logo, over-trousers, and issued boots.

“Hi Bray,” Shawn said, seeming relieved. “Let me get you seated.”

“Well, he was first,” Bray said, looking at Adam.

“Oh, no please go ahead. I’ve already eaten and just came back for something I left,” Adam said stepping aside. Bray walked past him catching Adam’s eye before looking at Shawn, who was smiling attentively avoiding Adam’s gaze.

“I’ll take a seat at the counter Shawn, I’m eating alone today.”

“Sure Bray,” Shawn said with the same cheery attitude he showed Adam, but Adam still saw that flicker from before.

He left the diner and returned to his jeep. Climbing into the driver’s seat he noticed his cell. He also noticed several calls left by Patrick. He started to call him when knocking on his window stopped him. He turned and saw his server, Cole from the diner. He wasn’t smiling this time he seemed scared. Adam rolled his window down, but before he was able to say anything Cole tossed in a folded piece of paper that landed on Adam’s lap then hurried off. Adam, bewildered watched as he ran down a side alley.

“What the hell was that?” Adam asked. Instead of going after him Adam opened the folded paper and saw an address. He grabbed his cell and text a short message to Patrick hoping it will hold him until he’d finished his investigation. He started his engine and went to check out his lead, unaware of someone watching him.

Hope everyone's New Year is moving smoothly like mine and all is well.
Please enjoy this gift to all of you.
:wizard: :read:
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

and the plot thickens.

PS...i am so not going to mention my obviously wrong guess in the last chapter

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..