Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 1,066 Words
  • 948 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 20. Chapter 20

Road trip and an unexpected guest.

Justin allowed Ethan to spend the night at his place. While having breakfast at the diner near his job, Justin mentioned his research about WillowMoss. They sat at the counter waiting for the check.

“So, you’re going to this town?” asked Ethan.

“I thought I get all the Intel off-line.”

“I thought you were a researcher.”

“I am.”

“So, what’s the best way to getting research?”

“I don’t want to drive all the way there and back.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“Really?”

“Sure, I’ll even help. Then you can get done faster, so we can have some fun.” Ethan bumped Justin’s knee with his, giving the blue eye blonde a smirk.

Justin never hung out with his liaisons. His motto was one night and move on, but with Ethan, he didn’t mind hanging out with him.

“Yeah, why not. Adam never said not to go to the town.”

“Then it’s a road trip. I have my brother’s car until tomorrow. I’ll set my GPS on my cell, and we can grab some snacks for the road,” Ethan said.

“Sounds good.” The waitress delivered the check and before Ethan could grab it Justin snatched it up and paid the bill.

A nonstop drive to WillowMoss turned out to be fun for Justin. Ethan drove the Range Rover, as they shared their likes and dislikes in movies, music, and food. Ethan talked about his parents and that he was an only child. Justin only shared he too was an only child, but nothing more about his parents.

“I have a dog name Token,” said Ethan.

“You have a dog, I love dogs,” Justin said, smiling.

“Well, you’ll love Token, he’s a flirt.”

“So, you left him home alone?”

“No, my neighbor is taking care of him for me.”

“You should have brought him along.”

“Yeah, he loves car rides. But, I wasn’t sure you weren’t allergic.”

“You worried about me.”

“Is that so unbelievable?”

Justin didn’t respond as he continued to smile and turned on the radio. A pop song was just ending when a second one that Justin loved came on. Ethan glanced now and then at the smiling blonde.

“I’m starving, is there any more granola bars,” Ethan asked. Justin turned and checked his backpack and found one handing it to Ethan.

“Last one,” said Justin.

“We can share.” Ethan opened it with his teeth and broke the bar in a not so perfect half and handed the bigger piece in the wrapper back to Justin.

“You gave me too much,” Justin said.

Ethan shrugged it off as he chewed and kept his eyes on the road. Justin munched on his half and when he saw Ethan finished chewing he fed him more of his granola. Ethan didn’t protest as he opened his mouth allowing Justin to pop the chunk inside.

They passed the sign for WillowMoss population 20 Thousand, 20 miles.

“Okay we’re almost, there,” Ethan said. “Should we go over the plan again?”

“We’re engaged and we’re here researching the town for a possible home,” Justin started.

“Right.” Ethan gripped the steering wheel and took a deep breath. “This is exhilarating.”

“Yeah, but it could be dangerous,” Justin said.

“Dangerous, why?”

“That’s something Adam always tells me when investigating something.”

“But we’re only researching the history, right?”

“And that’s all. If we see anything weird we drop everything and leave, okay.”

“Okay.”

Justin’s cell rang, and he checked the caller ID.

“It’s Adam,”

“Who’s Adam?” Ethan asked, feeling a bit jealous.

“My boss,” Justin said.

“Oh yeah,” Ethan said trying not to care.

Justin answered on the second ring.

“Hey, boss.”

“Justin, how’s the research coming?” asked Adam.

“I’m just diving in.”

“Good there’s something else I need to tell you. Don’t…” Suddenly the call dropped. Justin checked and saw his battery at full charge.

“That’s weird,” Justin said.

“What?” asked Ethan.

“The call dropped.” Justin tried to call Adam back, but it wouldn’t connect. “Now I can’t call out.”

“Here,” Ethan pulled out his cell from his pocket and handed it to Justin. “Use mine. The password is Token.” Justin tapped in the password and tried Adam’s cell number again.

“Damn, it still won’t let me call out.”

“Maybe it’s a dead spot. We’ll be in the main town soon, it should work there.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” Justin sat back and turned his attention to the tree line road.

************

“Justin, Justin? Dammit.” Adam tried to call Justin back, but his call only bounced back. “Did his cell phone die?” Adam wondered. He called the office, but only got the answering service. “Justin shouldn’t be out of range, unless…” The thought crept into his mind. “The town?” he said to himself. “He wouldn’t, unless—I didn’t tell him not to go.” Adam rushed out of the room and dashed down the long prestige hallway to the grand staircase. He tried not to run down the marble stairs, but his urgency to find Justin seem to cloud his judgment. Once Adam reached the last landing, Shilo, Drusilla Valdez lady, stepped into his path.

“Mr. Potter, just in time,” she said with a smile. “Patrick and his family are waiting for you in the dining room for breakfast.”

“Right, breakfast,” he said, stepping down the last step. Adam knew he couldn’t disappoint Patrick, but he needed to be sure Justin was all right. “Listen, can you tell Patrick…” but Adam’s cut short.

“Adam,” Patrick said. Adam turned and watched him approach. Patrick touched Adam’s arm. “Tell me what?”

“Pat, listen…”

“Adam,” the angelic voice of Drusilla, echoed in the hall as she moved toward them. Patrick stepped aside as his mother embraced Adam.

Adam hugged her back with full sincerity, they parted smiling at one another. “I’m so glad you made it; come, meet some of our family.” She took his arm and Adam was unable to refuse as she turned and took Patrick’s arm and walked them back to the dining room.

Adam knew he had to wait and buy his time and hope Justin’s cell battery just died.

**************

Yuri stopped at the massive gate to the Valdez estate and waited by the call box for the guard to check for him on the guest list.

“All clear Mr. Jin.” Came back a male’s voice. “Enjoy your stay.” The gate opened, and Yuri revved his sports car up the driveway.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you can feel the tension. Please leave a comment and or like. I would love to hear from all of you.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..