Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 2,596 Words
  • 1,043 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 16. Chapter 16

Okay we're back on scheduled. Here is the next chapter and I will post again next week.

 

Adam's in trouble

Patrick acts out.

Please enjoy

Patrick took a shower and changed into his long flannel pants, and a long sleeve top. He laid on his bed barefoot, holding his cell. Not looking at it just staring at the ceiling. A knock came to his door.

“Come in,” Patrick said. The door opened, and his father peeked inside.

“In the mood for company?”

“Sure,” Patrick said, sitting up and crossing his legs. His father walked over and grabbed a chair sitting beside him. Patrick tried to force a grin of content, but it only turned into a pout.

“Adam hasn’t contacted you yet?”

“He will.” Patrick looked at his cell again.

“Some of our guests have arrived, will you come down to dinner to greet them?”

“Do I know them?” Cyprus sighed at his son, and smiled at his childish behavior, he showed when things weren’t going his way.

“You have met them.”

“Alright, I’ll come down. Where’s mother?”

“She’s with our guest.” A sudden chime came to Patrick’s cell while he checked and saw Adam’s name. “I see you received your response. I’ll leave you alone to read it.” Cyprus rose to leave, but not before kissing his son’s forehead. Patrick waited until he left before opening the text.

“Sorry baby, I had to follow a lead; will be home late don’t wait up.” Patrick read it again before he sent Adam his own text telling Adam where he was. He waited for a response, but none came. He tossed his cell to the foot of the bed frustrated.

“Fine, if you’re going to work I’m going to do what I want.” Patrick jumped up and dressed and headed downstairs.

**************

Adam went to the address on the note Cole tossed him and found a normal looking home. A single two-story house, with detached garage, and front lawn, on a quiet block. Adam parked his jeep and considered knocking on the door, but what would he say? He can’t mention he knows Jamie or that he was a detective. He just needed to know who his stepfather was.

He saw someone approaching walking their dog, a young pregnant female in her twenties wearing jeans, boots, and a thick hoodie. She was allowing the brown and white bull terrier to pull her along while she stared at her cell phone. Adam climbed out of his jeep and walked towards her. He met with the dog first who was friendly as it panted at Adam. He stooped down and petted the dog.

“Hey, aren’t you friendly.” The female dropped her attention from her phone and took notice of Adam. She smiled and tugged on the dog’s leash.

“Freddie, what did I tell you about strangers,” she said playfully looking at Adam. Adam stood and flashed a big grin at her.

“He’s a beauty,” said Adam.

“More like a bully,” she giggled. “He always wants his own way.” The dog looked back at her and panted wagging his tail. “See, he always lay on the charm and gets his way. That’s why mommy loves her Freddie,” she coos. The dog barked bouncing around her.

“I was wondering if you can help me,” Adam asked. “I’m looking for a family that I believe resides around here.”

“Sure, what’s their name?”

“Huge.” Adam watched as the perky expression on the girl’s face turned distant and frighten.

“You know them?” she asked, a shake in her voice.

“No, but I’m looking for someone named Christopher.”

“I don’t know them,” she said flatly pulling the leash on her dog to bring him closer to her.

“Are you sure?”

“I said I don’t know them. Now leave me alone before I call the police.” She picked up her dog and hurried off leaving Adam dumbfounded. He started to turn back to his jeep when something struck him rendering him unconscious.

***************

A masked intruder disarmed the burglar alarm in seconds. Using the stairs, they went to the second floor of the three-story building. The uninvited guest used a flashlight to find the office door marked Adam Potter’s Detective agency. The door lock’s picked giving entrance. Right away a search ensues in file cabinets and desk drawers, in the reception room. Next Adam’s cabinet’s and drawers received the same treatment until the prowler found desired items. An invitation to an anniversary party, and a photograph.

**************

The first thing Adam felt was groggy, then the pain followed. His jaw hurt along with his head as he tried to lift it. A blinding light was in his line of vision causing him to turn from it, only for another to shine on him. He closed his eyes, wanting to shield them with his hands, but unable to use them.

“Having trouble moving?” said a gruff male’s voice. “I had to tight you up, so you can listen. I figured you weren’t a patient person who would sit still.”

“Who are you?” Adam asked, in a hoarse voice

“Not important Mr. Potter. What is important is why are you asking questions about Christopher Huge?”

“That’s none of your business,” Adam said flatly.

“Wrong answer.”

Adam saw a shadow past in front of the light towards him punching him in the face. The light returned screaming at Adam.

“Answer the question Mr. Potter or should I call you Detective Potter?”

“I’m looking for him,” Adam said. The voice was silent for a moment. Adam with his hands tied behind his back realized his coat was off, and shirt removed.

“How do you know him?” the voice asked.

Adam said nothing. The shadow returned, this time it pressed something against his chest, sending an electrical shock through his body causing his muscles to contract. Adam rocked against the piercing pain that held him until the shadow moved away. Adam gasped for air as he struggled not to pass out. His teeth chattered from the cold and shock.

“Detective Potter, my patience is wearing thin. How do you know him?”

“I—told you—I was looking for—him,” Adam said, biting back the pain.

“Why? Did someone hire you?”

“Yes—but—they were anonymous. They only paid me through a P.O. Box.” Adam could feel his control of his muscles coming back.

More silence followed, and Adam hoped the shadow believed his lie and wouldn’t return. He had no idea how long he’s been unconscious. His confinement was a chair strapped to a pole or beam. His wrists were bound behind him, his ankles tied to the legs, and his chest, fixed to whatever held the chair in place. There’s a chance they took his gun, wallet, and cell phone. They hid their identities from him, so they won’t kill him, they just want to scare him.

A phone rang out and Adam hoped it wasn’t his and it wasn’t Patrick calling. The ringing stopped, but he couldn’t hear the conversation. A cold breeze washed over him as he braced against its biting force.

“All right Detective Potter, I want you to leave this town and never return. You’re not wanted here. Go back to whoever hired you and tell them you found nothing about Christopher Huge. Or, we can pay, Patrick a visit. Am I making myself clear, Detective?”

“Was Patrick the caller?” Adam wondered. “Do they now know where he is? Some few choice questions Patrick could, unaware give personal information about where he was so they could go after him. I can’t let them near him.”

“Yes.” Was all Adam could say in the shadow when a bag went over his head and something had struck it, sending him into another blackout.

He came to with a start, slouched over his steering wheel. His shirt and coat were back on both unbutton, his gun and wallet were sitting on the passenger seat along with his cell phone. Adam sat back, a fire rushed through his body and head. He reached for his cell phone and booted it up. The first thing he saw was a picture of his lover’s smiling face. A photo he took on his family’s farm when he brought Patrick home to meet them.

“Or, we can pay, Patrick a visit…” The shadow said. Adam had to protect Patrick at all cost.

He needed to be with him. He switched back to his home page and saw a message for him.

“He’s at his parents,” Adam said relieved. He checked for his keys and found them in the ignition. “They really wanted me to leave town,” he thought. He started the engine and did as suggested. He was on the road that led home.

************

Patrick attended dinner and was happy to see his Uncle Bernardo and twin cousins Miguel and Reyes from Argentina. Even Philip and David had arrived early. Everyone toasted Drusilla and Cyprus and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Patrick took pleasure in the wine more than anything else. His parents noticed.

“Tell me Patrick,” Bernardo said, interrupting Patrick pouring another glass of wine. “… About Adam Potter, your new lover.” Patrick looked towards his uncle and saw sincerity. He cleared his throat and placed his wine glass down.

“He’s a private detective who has his own business. He saved my life countless times,” said Patrick.

“Countless times? Are you involved in his detective business?” His uncle asked concerned.

“No, but—well, it’s hard to explain,” Patrick stammered on his words.

“Your boyfriend puts you in danger, how hard is that to explain?” Miguel asked.

“He doesn’t put me in danger.”

“Then how does he save your life?” Bernardo asked.

“Things—just happened.”

“All right, enough interrogating,” said Drusilla. “You will all meet Adam when he arrives.”

“When is that?” Bernardo asked.

“Well…” Drusilla wasn’t sure how to help her son more. She glanced at him apologetically.

“Adam will be here in the morning,” Patrick said.

“Then I look forward to meeting him,” Bernardo responded.

The staff served Dessert, and Patrick resumed his drinking. When everyone went to the library for coffee Patrick wandered away with a bottle of wine. His father found him sitting by the indoor pool on a lounge chair with half the bottle finished. The tiles echoed from Cyprus stepping on them with his Italian shoes towards his son.

“Everyone is asking where you’ve gone,” Cyprus said. Patrick drained his glass and started to fill it again when his father took the bottle from him. “Enough Patrick.” Patrick stayed quiet as he drank what little wine he had in his glass. “You’re going to bed to sleep this mood of yours off.”

“I’m a grown man father, I can do what I want.”

“Not if it means you are hurting yourself.” Patrick’s feelings were overwhelming him as he let his father help him to his feet and hugged him. “I don’t understand how you can let that man do this to you.” Patrick pushed away from his father.

“Doing what? Adam isn’t even here.”

“Anytime you’re upset you drink. It’s your go to medicine.”

“I’m not drinking because of Adam.”

“Why don’t I believe you?”

“Because.”

“Go to your room and sleep it off Patrick.”

“Fine, whatever.”

Patrick stormed off to return to his room. But not before grabbing another bottle of wine. He then climbed the grand staircase and walked down the hallway, weaving towards his room. He reached his door and heard his cell phone ringing.

*************

Adam made it to the manor late and exhausted. He drove to the back and parked in one of the open garages. He got out of his jeep and walked to a side door connected to the kitchen. He knocked twice and quickly the lock released and the door opened. Patrick stood holding onto the door to steady his legs from too much drinking. The inside was dark and quiet. Patrick stepped aside and allowed Adam to come in.

“Sorry to call so late,” said Adam, while Patrick bolted the door.

“At least you finally called,” Patrick snapped.

Adam waited for him to turn around before pulling him in for a kiss. Patrick wasn’t expecting it and fell into the passionate kiss Adam was giving him. But then he remembered Adam ignoring his calls and text and didn’t want to comply with Adam’s wishes. Patrick pushed on Adam’s chest to break away. The touch flared up Adam’s tasered injury. Adam released Patrick, cringing from the pain as he covered the area with his hand.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’ll be fine.” Patrick reached for a light switch and turned it on, shocked to see the bruise on Adam’s cheek and cut lip.

“Adam, what happened?”

“It’s nothing Pat.”

“Nothing, it doesn’t look like nothing. And why did you flinch?” Patrick moved to him and grabbed his hand moving it from the spot. He opened Adam’s coat and shirt and saw a burn mark in the middle of his chest.

“Nothing, then what is that?” Patrick demanded.

“I ran into a bit of trouble while investigating something.”

“You were attacked.” Adam brushed his fingers across Patrick’s cheek.

“I’ll be okay.”

“Does this have anything to do with that bodyguarding job?”

“I had to follow a lead Pat.”

“So now what? You come to me to patch you up just to leave again?”

“I’m here for you and your parent’s party.”

“You are?”

“I swear, all I want to do is enjoy being with you.” Patrick’s doubts vanished as his concerns for Adam took priority.

“Sit at the table so I can patch you up.”

“Can we go upstairs so I can take a shower first, and I promise, you can play doctor with me.” Patrick took Adam’s arm and draped it over his shoulder.

“Walk with me, we can take the servant elevator.”

“The servants have an elevator?”

“Of course, we’re not tyrants.”

Once in Patrick’s bedroom, Adam let Patrick undress him. He showered under what he would call a waterfall, with massage settings that relieved a lot of Adam’s fatigue. Patrick dried him off helping him to his king size bed, laying him on his back.

“That shower was amazing,” Adam said. Patrick gathered the first aid kit and sat it beside Adam on the bed then he straddled Adam.

“Relax while I work on you.”

“Yes, doctor.” Patrick grabbed a tube of burn cream and took gentle care to spread it on Adam’s wound covering it with gauze and tape. Then he used peroxides on Adam’s cut lip and an ice pack on his eye.

“Would you like some pain killers?” Patrick asked.

“No.”

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes, but I don’t want you to leave me.”

“There has to be leftovers from dinner. Do you want to go with me to check?”

“In a minute. Lay with me.” Patrick climbed off Adam and closed the first aid kit moving it off the bed. He returned, but before climbing on the bed, he stripped his clothes off and mounted the bed naked laying his head on Adam’s shoulder. “I need to talk to you.”

“What about?”

“A decision we need to make together,” Adam said, giving a deep yawn then closed his eyes.

“I’m listening,” Patrick said. A long silence came as Patrick blinked at his lover wondering when he was going to speak. “Adam,” he said. Then right away he knew Adam fell asleep. With care he rose and gathered the sheets and blanket and covered them both, laying back on Adam’s shoulder, who shifted, wrapping his arm around Patrick before settling back to sleep. Patrick nuzzled his face against his strong shoulder and followed Adam’s example, falling asleep soon after.

Thanks for reading and as I said before I will post again next week. Leave a comment and or like if you approved.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

uhhh, stupid, stupid, estupido! La idiota! Haven't you heard, curiosity killed the cat 🐱

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..