Jump to content
    keyisfake
  • Author
  • 3,000 Words
  • 1,112 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Our Little Nest - 25. Chapter 25

Penny wakes up.
Adam gets an invite.
Patrick over hears bad news.

The soothing sound of piano music awoken Penny, lying in a reclined position. She opened her eyes to a hospital room wearing a dressing gown, connected to a heart monitor, and an Intravenous in the back of her right hand.

She blinked away her longing to go back to sleep, instead she wanted to know what was wrong with her. Was she sick, did she faint, was she in an accident? She decided to check if her body still worked. She squeezed her toes, then shifted her legs. She took a deep breath and stretched her back feeling no pain. She made a fist with both her hands and the only pain she felt was the needle that pierced her vein. She did see a black and blue discoloration along her forearm which she assume she banged against something causing the mark.

“Nothing broken,” she thought. “Was it an internal? I don’t feel sick.”

Penny looked for a call button to summon a nurse but saw none.

“Hello,” she called out hoping someone in the hall would hear her, only no reply came. She looked around again for a call button and saw a switch on the wall marked help that should call the nurse.

She reached over and carefully removed the IV and tossed it aside. Moving one leg at a time she managed to get her feet to the floor. She rose off the bed and felt the cool surface caress her feet. She also realized the gown was the only article of clothing she wore, and someone had washed her body because the scent she smell wasn’t the soap or lotion she used.

She walked to the button and pushed it, she paused and received no response. She pressed it again.

“Hello, is someone there?” still no answer. “That’s strange?”

She thought over her whereabouts and remembered she was meeting someone. Her mind drew a blank then she recalled driving home, then remembered headlights then nothing. She walked to the wardrobe and found clothes that weren’t hers but had a paper tag with her name on them. She removed the hospital dressing gown and dressed quickly. A simple sweat suit with draw string pants, a zipper up hoodie and canvas sneakers but no undergarments.

Penny moved to the door and glanced out the small window that showed a lit hallway. She opened the door and peeked out and started down the hallway seeing no one. Not at the nurse’s station or in any of the rooms she passed.

She considered taking the elevator but decided to use the stairs. Discovering she was on the second floor, Penny made it to the main floor which was also empty. No patients, doctors, or nurses and now no security.

“What’s going on?” Her heart raced as she walked outside and to her horror saw her car parked by the curb. The crushed in fender turned the wheel sideways on the sedan’s left side, the driver side door was gone. The trunk of the car merged into the back seat, with the passenger doors dinted and all the windows shattered.

“Was I in there?” she asked, hugging herself unsure how she hadn’t suffered injury. Another car was nearby. A two door compact with the driver side door open. Penny had no idea where she was or how she was going to get home. She moved to the car and carefully peered inside. It was empty, and the car keys were in the ignition. Penny saw another note taped to the steering wheel.

“GO HOME!” Penny looked around and saw no one, and as much as she didn’t want to get in, she couldn’t help herself. Climbing into the driver seat she shut the door and fastened her seat belt. When she turned on the engine she heard a chime that sounded like her cell phone. She looked around and saw it glowing in the back seat on the floor. She picked it up and noticed the GPS was on and set for her route home.

Penny placed her cell on the passenger seat and drove off.

*************

Applause from the guest greeted the two couples as they walked down the grand staircase. A few of Raoul and Drusilla’s friends swept them away in the direction of the library as Patrick and Adam followed. Champaign and appetizers started to circulate as groups of conversations about the happy couple, the food, the house and about money broke out.

Patrick held Adam’s hand as he walked over to his godfathers Philip, whom Adam met and his husband Michael.

“Patrick, Adam,” said Philip, smiling, holding a champagne flute half empty.”

“Hello Uncle Philip, and Uncle Michael, I’m so glad you made it, I’ve missed you,” Patrick said, kissing Michael on the cheek. Adam noticed the other male was a complete opposite of his partner. Where Philip carried himself as a high-class lawyer, Michael looked more laid-back, his suit wasn’t of high grade with his long hair tied in a ponytail. Unlike Philip, Michael’s appearance was more rugged reminding Adam of his father.

“Adam, it’s good to see you again,” said Philip.

“It’s good to see you, Philip,” said Adam.

“I’d like to introduce you to my husband, Michael Gomez.”

Adam extended his hand to Michael, who shuck it with a firm hold, like his father.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Adam. Philip told me a lot about you and your family.”

“Yeah, he helped us a lot. I owe him.”

“You own me nothing, Adam, I’m just glad your mother was cleared of all charges,” said Philip.

“Adam, Uncle Michael is a Zoologist he just came back from Japan,” Patrick added.

“That must take you away from home,” Adam said.

“More than you know,” Philip mumbled, before he swallow the rest of his drink. Michael sighed as he glanced at his husband irritated.”

Adam realized he hit a nerve between the two, not meaning to. He was about to apologize when Bernardo walked up.

“Gentlemen, sorry for interrupting, but might I steal Adam away for a moment,” asked Bernardo.

“Sure,” said Adam, glancing at Patrick. “If Patrick doesn’t mind.”

“I’ll see you later,” Patrick said, with a big smile.

Adam followed Bernardo out of the library, but before he turned the corner, he looked back and saw Patrick grabbing a glass of champagne off a tray held by a female server.

Bernardo led Adam to a carpeted staircase that lead to a lower level of the house. They walked down an inviting hallway lined with long tables with priceless vases and artwork long the walls. At the end of the hall was double doors with what Adam assumed was the Valdez family crest.

Bernardo knocked with his fist before opening the door and walking inside again Adam followed. Once inside Adam saw a large pool table in the middle of the room, surround by game tables, video game systems hooked to a jumbo television, an impressive bar with bartender and an amazing view through the garden and a pond.

“Welcome Adam,” said Raoul, walking up and holding two glasses with a quarter of whisky in them. He stopped short and handed Adam one of the glasses. Taken back by Raoul’s gesture Adam hesitated before accepting the drink.

“You seem hesitant, Adam,” said Bernardo.

“He has every right to be,” said Raoul, smiling. “I have been rather abrasive to him. Isn’t that true Adam.”

“You’re a protective parent,” said Adam.

“That is true. I love my son,” said Raoul.”

“That is why Raoul is extending this olive branch to you,” said Bernardo. “You caught Drusilla when she fainted, and we are all grateful for that.”

“I only did what any of you would do.”

“And doing so have opened my eyes,” said Raoul. He held his glass up to Adam. “I want to welcome you to the family.”

Adam was speechless and felt a weight lifted off his shoulders from Raoul’s warm words. He raised his own glass to Raoul and they clanked the crystal before drinking the dark brew. The smooth liquid covered Adam’s tongue as it slid down his throat. Adam savored the taste that lingered in his mouth.

“You are tasting Raoul’s best stock,” said Bernardo. “Come, Adam, join us in a game of pool.”

“I’d like that,” said Adam.

**************

Once Adam left, Patrick’s uncles were in a deep conversation that he felt he should not be a part of. He walked around saying hello to people even seeing his mother engrossed in a conversation with a few of her female friends. She waved at Patrick and he waved back.

“Patrick,” said Miguel, walking up with two glasses of champagne. He noticed the one Patrick had was near empty. “It looks like you’re dry,” he said, handing Patrick a glass.

“Thank you,” said Patrick, taking it just as a passing server, with a tray of empty glasses, was coming towards them. Patrick sat his finished glass on the tray and think the woman. He and Miguel drank down half of their glass before pausing.

“I saw my father taking Adam from you,” said Miguel, slowly walking towards the hall. Patrick walked beside him.

“Yeah, he wanted to show him something.”

“Well, I saw them going down to the game room.”

“Really,” Patrick said, giving his full attention to Miguel.

“Yes.”

“That's wonderful.”

“Why?”

“My father never invites just anyone down there.”

“So, you think he’s accepting Adam?”

“What else could it be?”

“Well, I hope you’re right.” Miguel turned and walked off, leaving Patrick standing by the French doors that led to the courtyard. Patrick stared out at the long table that was set out and the paper lanterns that were lit. The wind had picked up and it was looking as if the outside dining was out of the question. Patrick sighed, his disappointment as he turned to return to the library.

“Hello, again,” said Yuri. Surprised to see his ex-boyfriend in his home, Patrick dropped his champagne glass causing it to shatter at his feet. “Patrick, are you all right?” asked Yuri, stepping towards him, Patrick took a step back wanting to avoid contact.

“Yuri, what are you doing here?”

“I was invited.”

“By whom.”

“Your parents.”

“Why would they invite you to their anniversary party? Wait, don’t answer that. That’s why you were having coffee with my father.”

“It was by chance that we ran into each other. I can’t help it that I get along with your father better than your pass relationships, present included.”

Patrick didn’t like Yuri’s remark about Adam and decide to take a smug stance.

“Still, we’re broken up, because of you. And for your information, my father invited Adam down to his game room. They're probably having drinks as we speak.”

“Well, good for Adam.”

“Wait,” Patrick paused, glancing around. “Did you bring your boy-toy with you?”

“If you mean Jamie, no, he’s home.”

“Adam’s not babysitting, he’s here with me.”

“Penny is with Jamie and so are my bodyguards.”

“So, you’re here alone. But, what if Adam sees you, he’ll start to ask questions.”

“You still haven’t told him about us?”

“There’s no—us.”

“Then you did tell him?” Yuri asked, moving towards him.

“He doesn’t need to know about my past relations. I don’t ask him about his.” Yuri moved in closer, their noses almost touching.

“What about the kiss we shared?”

Patrick stepped back banging into a small table, displaying a glass bowl holding candy, sending it off balance. Patrick grabbed the table just as Yuri grabbed him around the waist. The bowl and its context crashed to the floor, the shattering glass and candy mixing together. Yuri pulled Patrick away from the glass bringing him into contact with his body. Patrick released the table that wobbled a bit but remained standing. He pressed his hands against Yuri’s designer suit, that he guessed came from the same designer who created his and Adam’s and pushed back on the strong chest beneath.

“Let me go Yuri,” Patrick ordered. Yuri, lift Patrick slightly and spun him away from the broken glass before releasing him. Patrick backed away angry that Yuri brought up the kiss again. “Listen to me Yuri. I love Adam and he loves me.”

“But his job comes first,” said Yuri.

“Not tonight. I’m going to tell him about you and the kiss and let him decide if he wants to continue working for you.”

“You’re angry. You know you don’t make the wisest decisions when you’re angry,” said Yuri with a calm voice. “You should think it over.”

“Stop telling me what to do,” Patrick snapped, his voice cracking.

“Patrick, I never meant…”

“Leave me alone, Yuri. Just leave me alone.” Patrick stormed off and Yuri started to follow just as Shilo walked up blocking his path.

“Is everything well, Mr. Jen?” she asked more for Patrick’s wellbeing. Yuri looked at her then back at the mess on the floor.

“I bumped into the table causing the mess,” he said, taking the blame.

“I’ll have someone clean it up right away,” said Shilo, as she stepped aside and watched Yuri walk away.

 

**************

Waking up in a dark room, Jamie realized he had fallen asleep. He rubbed his eyes and climbed off the bed. He went straight to Penny’s room, finding it the way he found it that morning. He went back to his room and grabbed his cell.

“No messages,” he said out loud. He headed downstairs looking for the Lou brothers. They weren’t at the elevators, so he checked their rooms Yuri gave them connected to the kitchen. The two bedrooms was average but comfortable. They used it to watch TV, play video games, or just relax on a long wide sofa. Yuri allowed them to use the kitchen whenever they wanted. They weren’t there.

Jamie checked the rest of the penthouse finding it empty. He called Yuri, but it only went to voice mail. He thought of texting him but remembered Adam was to stay with him if Yuri or Penny weren’t around. He texted the detective and pressed send just as he heard the elevator bell chime that someone was coming up.

***********

Adam hadn’t played pool for years but was able to keep up with a few games. Raoul challenged him first and won, but Adam was able to beat Bernardo. Philip and Michael came down and played a few games. Adam watched and started to miss Patrick.

He’d saw no one was paying attention to him so he was able to slip out the room unnoticed. He’ll go grab Patrick and challenge him to a video game. As he moved down the hallway a text came to his cell. He saw Jamie as the caller.

“Adam, I woke from a nap and found that no one was here. Penny, Yuri, even his bodyguards were gone. I’m alone, can you come over and stay with me until someone comes home? Please Adam, I don’t want to be here by myself.”

Adam was about to text back, but he needed to hear Jamie’s voice to make sure he wasn’t in distress. He stopped at the foot of the stairs and leaned against the side wall calling Jamie back. He didn’t see Patrick at the top of the stairs who started to call to Adam stopping when he heard Adam say Jamie’s name.

“Jamie,” said Adam.

“Adam please, you need to come over no one’s here,” he said in a whisper.

“Okay, calm down. Did you try calling Yuri?”

“It just went to his voice mail.”

“Why would he leave you alone?”

“Penny and his body guards were supposed to be here, but she stayed out all night and now they’re gone.”

“I’m not sure I can get away.”

“Please Adam, I don’t like being alone and I think someone came up in the elevator. I got scared I locked myself in my room and is hiding in the closet.” Jamie’s sobs echoed in his ears.

“No, don’t cry Jamie, I know you’re scared. Just stay in your room and I’ll try to get there as soon as I can.” Adam disconnected. He started up the stairs and saw Patrick standing at the top. He had a gut feeling that Patrick heard his converstion on his cell. He approached him, seeing that he was upset.

“Patrick, before you flip out, let me explain. Jamie is alone in that penthouse and is terrified that someone has broken in.”

“Then call the police,” said Patrick.

“He doesn’t want the police involved.”

“So, he rather you put your life in danger instead?”

“Pat, I know what I’m doing. I used to be a cop.”

“Adam, you need to know something,” said Patrick. Only, Adam wasn’t listening.

“If I leave now, I can still make it back before the party ends.”

“Adam, listen to me.”

“Pat, I have to go. I’m sorry, this is a client I made a commitment with.”

“What about your commitment to me?”

Adam didn’t have time to fight.

“Pat, you wanted me to connect with your family and I did. Hell, your father is cool with me now. So, mission accomplished.”

“So, you're leaving. Even though I don’t want you to?”

“I need to do my job.”

“But I have to tell you something.”

“Tell me when I get back.” Adam cupped Patrick’s face in his hands and kissed his mouth before dashing off. Patrick shook as tears filled his eyes. He wanted to scream when he heard voices coming towards the staircase. One of them being his father’s. He hurried away entering a sitting room. The lights were off, but it never slowed him down since he’d been in the room many times. He walked over to the wall and pressed the framework releasing a latch that opened a secret door. He stepped through and closed it behind him not seeing that Yuri was inside the room watching.

Thanks to all for reading. And as always please comment and or like it you enjoyed reading this.
Copyright © 2017 keyisfake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..