Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 682 Words
  • 2,574 Views
  • 41 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Little Things - 5. Musings

A conversation ... under 1000 words...

Musings

Fred Simpson slammed the Yellow Pages onto his desk, flung himself into his chair and flipped opened the book roughly in the centre. He stuck the middle finger of his right hand into his mouth to dampen it and started to flip the pages, while mumbling to himself, “K…L…M, here we are.”

He flipped a couple more pages. “Mud…no, not mud removal…mur…bah, not Murky’s Window Cleaners…ah, here we are, Muses…hmmmm—he ran his forefinger down the listings— Muses R Us, Muses 4 U n Me, Muse Warehouse, The. Ah, here’s the one, Muse Depot, The.”

Fred punched the numbers into his phone. The call was picked up after a couple of rings, but there was no immediate answer. “Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?"

Finally, an auto-attendant replied, “Hello, and welcome to The Muse Depot. We have muses available for all of your muse-related needs. If you are unsure about the type of muse that is best suited for your needs, please speak to one of our Muse Specialists. They are here to serve you. Please press one.”

Tapping his fingers while he waited for a live Muse Specialist, Fred thought about his most recent muse. “Bloody ungrateful,” he grumbled to himself. “All I wanted was a little inspiration. What did she do? Just walks—”

His grumbling was cut short when a voice interrupted him. “Good afternoon. This is Mary, I am a Muse Depot Muse Specialist, and how can I help you?”

“I need a new muse. Mine has abandoned me in my hour of need.”

“Oh, I am terribly sorry to hear that sir. Did you purchase your muse from The Muse Depot?”

Fred frowned. “Ahh…no.”

“Well, thank goodness. Our muses simply don’t get up and leave their musee.” Mary chuckled at her little joke.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

“Yes, now, what kind of muse did you have in mind? Male, female, or animal perhaps? We have some beautiful statues, trees, lakes? Anything in particular you were thinking of?”

Fred was confused. “A lake?”

“Oh, wonderful! You’re interested in the lake.”

Fred could hear the tapping of computer keys. “No, I just wanted to know if you can have a lake as a muse?”

“Well, just about anything can be a muse, sir,” Mary said patiently as if speaking to a small child.

“Then what is special about your service?”

“We supply muses, sir.”

“Well, if anything can be a muse, why do we need your services, Mary?”

“Well we supply them, sir,” Mary repeated. Her feathers had been ruffled.

Fred imagined her as a magpie.

He banged a fist on the desk, “Mary! Pay attention, dear. Can a clock be a muse?”

“Why yes, of course.”

Taking a deep breath he plunged in for another attempt to reach Mary, who seemed to be thicker than he first thought. “Then why do I need to buy one from your depot, Mary, if anything like my mantle clock can be a muse?”

“Well…” Mary replied through gritted teeth. “That’s what we do we; supply muses to artistic-type people who can’t seem to have an original thought on their own without one.”

Realizing that he was getting nowhere, Fred decided to quit fighting and said, “Mary, it’s been a pleasure speaking with you, and I want to wish you well in your chosen career."

“There’s no need to be rude, sir,” Mary said loudly.

Fred jumped to his feet, furious. “Damn it woman, I’m not being rude! Frankly I think you and your business are completely stupid. I’ve got half a mind to write to the local newspaper about this idiotic experience and your business.”

“Sounds to me like you’ve been inspired to write, sir.”

“I am certainly inspired to tell the truth about your sham of a business,” retorted Fred.

“Wonderful. That will be $35.00 plus fifteen percent tax, for a total of $40.25. Will that be VISA or MasterCard?”

“What?” Fred spluttered. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Well, I inspired you, sir,” Mary replied.

Fred could hear the smile in her voice.

“I provided a successful muse service experience, as per your request. Now will that be VISA or MasterCard?”

Fred banged his head on the desk in defeat. "VISA."

 

C’est fini

Thanks to AC for editing.. hope it gave you a grin.

tim
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Wonderful! Often I have no idea where my inspiration  comes from. Hmm... maybe there's a market for a forensic muse?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

OMGoodness! What a wonderful gift on a Friday morning.

I was chuckling right off the bat! I can't remember the last time I saw a Yellow Pages, much less used one!

And "flung himself into his chair..." I heard the chair complain!

And Mary! She was a hoot!

Oh thanks so much for doing this! Well done!

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

LOL I could use a muse myself. Luckily, my regular one hasn't made good on his threats of payment of a very particular nature. I hope he doesn't read this and get any ideas. ;)

 

And I love musee... 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, R J Drew said:

Clever. Very clever. LOL I love it! :2thumbs:

Thank you RJ. :) i'm glad it worked for ya!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Lyssa said:

LOL, magnificent. I wish it would work like this.

Thanks for reading this Lyssa!!  I wish it did too!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, northie said:

Wonderful! Often I have no idea where my inspiration  comes from. Hmm... maybe there's a market for a forensic muse?

Yeah i dont know either. That's why i through nothing away, i mean snippets of ideas and things .. you never can tell 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

OMGoodness! What a wonderful gift on a Friday morning.

I was chuckling right off the bat! I can't remember the last time I saw a Yellow Pages, much less used one!

And "flung himself into his chair..." I heard the chair complain!

And Mary! She was a hoot!

Oh thanks so much for doing this! Well done!

 

Hehe, we used to get the yellow page until about 3 - 4 years ago. Come home and there would be huge stacks of them plied up in the mail room. I'm glad you enjoyed this. xoxo

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Kitt said:

LMFAO! Sounds so much like a real Convo I had with my mortgage company over escrow payments about ten years back.  You conveyed Fred's frustration beautifully!

Brilliant! I'm glad it worked Kitt.Thanks for reading!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Caz Pedroso said:

Loved it timmie :lol: very clever, and very funny. 

 

:hug: 

Thanks very much cazzie!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. Appreciate your support. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Puppilull said:

LOL I could use a muse myself. Luckily, my regular one hasn't made good on his threats of payment of a very particular nature. I hope he doesn't read this and get any ideas. ;)

 

And I love musee... 

thanks pupp.. lol.. i hope not too.. thanks for reading!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, phoenix_0826 said:

Great fun to read! Well done Tim. :lol:

Thanks phoenix. i appreciate the read and the support. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Laughing, no roaring ... still. It's zany, it's comical, it's perfect. It reads like a classic absurdist sketch. This is a gem, tim. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, BHopper2 said:

Wow, Tim, you've got me busting stitches over here. Loved it!

do you have stitches?? dont bust em. glad you enjoyed it!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, mogwhy said:

well done, funny as hell

thanks moggy.. glad it gave you a giggle

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..