Jump to content
    Nephylim
  • Author
  • 2,674 Words
  • 1,528 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Red Gold - 23. Chapter 23 - Conferences and Protocol

The day wore on and food was brought to the counsel chamber but still no word came. Far into the night the doors remained closed and Gabrielle remained in torment. Finally she fell asleep where she sat and when she woke the sun was shining on her wedding eve.

 

Rehanna insisted that she bathed and dressed properly on the basis that at some point she would be summoned to the chamber or somewhere else and she would look the part or Rehanna would die trying.

 

It was whilst she was having her hair brushed and twisted into coils, pinned with pearl tipped silver pins, that the summons came. Serena flew into the room without bothering to knock.

“They have summoned you to the counsel chamber. Come on Sou Shan, come on.”

 

Her heart in her mouth Gabrielle allowed herself to be pulled from the chair and Rehanna, with a cry pinned the last of the curls, and ran headlong down the stairs her skirts flying. At the doors of the chamber she stopped, caught her breath and smoothed her dress and her hair. When she was ready she nodded to one of the servants who flanked the door and, as on the day of the ball, opened the door and announced her to the room.

 

Gabrielle had never been so nervous or so conscious of the eyes on her as she was now. At the centre of the room there was a huge table which ran almost the whole length of the room. No one was sitting in the chairs that surrounded it, they were all gathered at one end studying the papers that were strewn across its surface.

 

Of them all only three were seated, the two kings and Prince Orien. All three were dishevelled and looked exhausted. As she approached all three rose and her father held her hand out to her. She looked to Orien and he smiled encouragingly.

 

“Sou Shan, is this what you want? Is this truly what you want?”

 

“Father, I have not been here through these discussions. I cannot say if this is what I want until I know what ‘this’ is?”

 

“Yet another example of your wisdom, my dear.” It was the King of Seline who spoke and when she looked at him he was smiling. Encouraged she smiled back.

 

“If you are asking am I in love with someone else, then yes I am. If you are asking would I prefer not to marry Orien, then yes I would. But know this. Although I have not lived here for most of my life never doubt that I love my land and my people more than anything and anyone. I would not jeopardise their future for any reason. Whatever is decided by this counsel I will abide by. Know also that Orien is my friend and I would not add to his cares. This has nothing to do with him and if it were not for the fact that my heart had been given to another before I even knew of his existence I would give it to him without hesitation.”

 

“You could not ask for a better answer Konor. Your daughter takes after her mother in her diplomacy skills. Well, this seems to settle matters. We cannot force them Konor, it would be unconscionable.”

 

“What about the other side of the covenant? What about Seline’s promised aid in the war?”

 

Before anyone could say another word Orien spoke. His voice was soft but it carried and his eyes were on Gabrielle the whole time.

 

“Seline and Moravia are friends, as my father and Konor are friends, as Sou Shan and I are friends. Friends do not give to each other for reward or payment but only because they can. In the name of our friendship and our future diplomatic links what aid we can give will be yours. Now that there is no longer to be a wedding, as soon as the army can be made ready and spells be prepared we will move on your enemy and free your country. We will leave it to those who know the law and precedent to write the detail.”

 

Strahan laughed aloud and clapped Orien on the back so hard he stumbled. “That’s my boy. To hell with politics. But you are wrong, of course.” Orien turned to him with anxious eyes, argument forming on his lips. Strahan laughed. “There most certainly is to be a wedding. I have spent too much money and suffered too much stress from the women for it all just to be put aside. A wedding had been planned and a wedding there will be. Two weddings in fact. Is that not so Konor.”

 

Sou Shan held her breath as she looked into her father’s face. It was inscrutable as he considered the situation, being by nature less impulsive than Strahan. At last he smiled. “You are right, of course. I have not had the women to worry me, sir but there has certainly been a lot of effort by many people put into this wedding to let it all go by the by.”

 

“Excellent. It is decided. How long will it take to get that red headed demon here Orien?”


“Um.. I.. er.. I hadn’t thought. A few days, three or four maybe.”

 

“Very well then. Tomorrow we ride to war and in our absence preparations will continue for the weddings in six days time. Sou Shan, of course has no difficulties in transporting her intended. We must have him brought here immediately. He would wish to be part of the planning for the war I am sure. Konor, do you have someone you can send?”

 

“No, please, let me go.”

 

“Sou Shan, you must know. The Sorcerer knows that we are amassing here. He is not a fool, he has his spies. He too will be preparing for war and he will have the roads watched. If he finds you alone and unprotected… you are not safe.”

 

Gabrielle exchanged a look with Orien. Clearly her father had not heard the rumours. “I will accompany her, sir. You can be assured that no harm will come to her in my company.”

 

“Out of the question Orien. Not only are you needed here but the chance of capturing you both would be irresistible and the risk would simply be too great. Konor can send a man to fetch him.”

 

“Sir, I am not sure that he would be able to come.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“When I left him he was in the care of the healers. I am not sure that he would be well enough to travel yet. I would like to be the one to speak to him, please do not deny me this.”

 

“You cannot go alone.”

 

“I will take Rehanna with me, or anyone you say. I will take a whole squadron of soldiers if I have to, only please don’t deny me this.”

 

“Very well. You have already caused more trouble in the time you have been here than anyone else I have ever known…” seeing her anxious eyes he smiled and took her in his arms. “except of course your mother. He had better be worth it, this boy of yours.”

 

“Oh he is, father, he is. He has already saved me in every way a person can be saved.”

 

“Then go and save him, my dear. But be careful.”

 

“I will father. Thank you so much.” Hugging him fiercely and stretched up on tip toe and kissed him. Then, impulsively she threw her arms around Strahan and kissed him too and finally she hugged Orien gazing up into his eyes which were sparkling with more life that she had ever seen there.

 

“Thank you Sou Shan, thank you so much.” And it was he who hugged and kissed her.

 

When he released her she spun away, her heart skipping her feet of their own accord eating the ground as she fled the room and the castle. Rehanna and Serena were waiting outside and she hugged them quickly but briefly as she passed.


“Can’t stop, have to go. I have to invite someone to my wedding.”

 

“Wait Sou Shan, please wait. What wedding? Is the wedding still to be? What of Orien? Felise?”


“They are to be married too Serena, don’t worry.”

 

And then she was gone, flying out of the castle to the stables. Too impatient to wait for a horse to be properly saddled she grabbed one that had already been saddled and was waiting in readiness for any messengers sent from he counsel. Struggling with her skirts she hauled herself unceremoniously into the saddle and galloped away. As she left the gatehouse two horses fell into step behind her, soldiers appointed by her father as guards for her journey. Ignoring them she galloped headlong across the field, causing heads to turn at every tent.

 

Forced to slow for the descent of the cliff she took time to look down at the village below. Whereas before there had been only pain in her heart to think of who lingered there now there was excitement and joy. She could not wait to take him in her arms again and tell him that this time there would be no one and nothing that would ever part them.

 

Galloping through the streets she caused as much of a stir as she had in the army camp and even more than she had on her previous visit. Seeing the princess and her guard of soldiers people fell in behind to see what was happening. When she arrived at the building where she had previously met with Cai she reigned in the horse sharply and half vaulted half fell from the saddle.

 

Attracted by the sound of galloping hooves some of the healers drifted from the building. Gabrielle ignored them and ran up the path. As she entered the foyer Ben appeared with Mirabele, they both looked very grave, Mirabele had been crying.

 

“Ben, I have wonderful news. Orien was in love with someone else too, the wedding is off… at least it is with us…. I am free Ben, I can be with Cai, isn’t that wonderful? I can’t wait to tell him.”

 

“Gabrielle……”

 

“It’s all arranged, we are going to be married. Nothing will ever part us again.” She suddenly sobered. “That is if he wants to… he will won’t he? He will want to marry me?”

 

“Gabrielle..,.,,”

 

“Of course he will. Come on Ben, you can come with me when I tell him. You can definitely come to the wedding now.”

 

As she moved to pass them Ben took her arms and shook her a little to get her attention.

 

“Gabrielle, listen to me.”


There was something in the sound of his voice that cut through her excitement and joy and pulled a shroud over it.

 

“What is it? What’s wrong?”

 

“Gabrielle…. it’s Cai..”

 

“Cai? What’s wrong with him?”

 

“Gabrielle….. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I tried…. I had no idea that he……” Ben took a steadying breath while all the while Gabrielle’s fear rose. “He’s gone.”

 

“Gone? But…… but he was…. he promised. I thought he was getting better.”

 

“No, Gabrielle, you don’t understand. He’s gone. Not dead, gone.”

 

“Gone where?”

 

“Come and sit down, Gabrielle.” Mirabele took her arm, fresh tears in her eyes but she shook off the hand.

 

“Tell me.”

 

“After you went I thought that it would be alright, that he would be alright. He slept all night and yesterday he ate well and walked in the sunshine. He was sad, of course he was. I tried to talk to him but he sent me away. He sent everyone away but he seemed to be alright. At least he got stronger and physically he seemed to be getting well.

 

“I came to see him this morning and he wasn’t doing so well. He couldn’t keep still and he kept pacing and raging about the Sorcerer, saying that if it wasn’t for him there would be no need for the alliance, for the wedding. He was also saying that there was no point in getting well and strong because it would only extend the time he was without you. He said that he had promised not to actively seek death but he was damned if he would actively seek to prolong his life either.


“I mean he was crazy Gabrielle. I was worried about him. So worried that an hour or so ago I went to get Mirabele. I was worried about what he was going to do and I thought she might be able to get through to him. When we got back he was gone.”

 

“Gone where?”

 

“He didn’t stop to tell anyone.”

 

At that moment Leelany rushed in. She stopped when she saw Gabrielle and drew back her lip in a snarl. “What’s she doing here?”

 

“That doesn’t matter. What did you find?”

 

“He’s been to the house. Some of his clothes are missing, weapons too.”

 

“Oh no, no. I was praying that would not be that case, that he would just run to the woods for a time.”

 

“What does it mean? Where do you think he has gone?”

 

“That should be obvious, even to you.”

 

“If it were obvious Leelany I would not have asked.”

 

“He is going to the dark castle. He will try to kill the Sorcerer. He will fail and he will die.”

 

“NO! Ben?”

 

“I think she’s right Gabrielle. The way he was talking this morning….. I think she’s right.”

 

“Go to the castle Mirabele. Speak to my father, give him what help you can. Leelany I need you with me. Ben talk to the healers and take them to the castle to join with our healers there. They will all be needed in this war I think.”

 

Before anyone could say a word she had stalked from the building. Grabbing the bridle of one of their horses she spoke urgently to one of the soldiers.


“Ride to the castle as fast as you can. Speak to Prince Orien or to my father and tell them that Ca’el has gone to challenge the Sorcerer and I am sorry, so sorry but I cannot let him face him alone. I will try to stop him before he reaches the dark castle but we must bring the war forward. The dark castle must be attacked with everything we have today, the sooner the better, my life might depend on it.”

“My Lady, we cannot allow……”

 

“Make no mistake, you have no choice in this. I WILL go after Ca’el. It may be that I will die but I will die fighting for him. Tell my father and Orien that I am truly sorry that I have put them in this position. I believe that they will understand. If not the responsibility is mine. Now go.” For once Gabrielle vaulted faultlessly into the saddle and reigned in the horse. “Get your horse Leelany. You know the area better than I do, you can lead.”

“You seem to be doing a pretty good job of it so far, why spoil it now?”

 

“This is no time for your pettiness Leelany. Your brother’s life is at stake and if it is lost because of your spitefulness I will personally tear out your heart and feed it to the wolves.”

 

“My my, being a princess suits you.” The tone was as sharp and as bitter as ever but she complied and within minutes they were both riding full tilt from the village.

Copyright © 2011 Nephylim; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..