Jump to content
    Paladin
  • Author
  • 4,264 Words
  • 340 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andre and Chris - 21. Chapter 21

Clean and with freshly brushed teeth, Ollie said goodnight. We hugged and watched him slide into bed. We turned out the light and closed the door.

It was the first night of us living together.

 

Tuesday morning, we didn’t have to wake Ollie as, dressed in his clean new school uniform, he joined us for breakfast in the kitchen. I hoped this enthusiasm for school would continue into next term.

Andre and I both decided that outside of our bedroom we needed to be more “modestly” dressed than we were used to. As a result, we were wearing shorts and Ts when Ollie entered.

He smiled and looked at us. “Thanks for the PJ's. I only wore the boxers. It’s too hot for a top. I got that from dad. He just wore boxers to bed.”

We both understood what he was implying and were amused but neither of us wanted to deal with that just now. What we wore to bed could be discussed later so I changed the subject. “Ollie, have some breakfast. There’s plenty there.” He poured out a large bowl of Raisin Bran, added milk and started eating while I continued, “We forgot to talk to you about what to take to school for lunch so today we’ll just give you money to buy something to eat.” Ollie smiled and continued eating.

Andre added, “We’ll make lunch and snacks that you can take tomorrow. There are also a few things we need to sort out and we can talk about them after school.”

Ollie had nearly finished eating and grinned, “You mean like rules. Yeah, that’ll be cool and I’m just about ready for school.”

“You could say rules but more like how we’re all going to live together and what stuff we need to buy for you.” I then added, “Has Riley messaged you yet?”

“Nah. I’ve got another five minutes.”

“Good. Time to clean your teeth and get your backpack and be ready.”

“Geez, is it going to be like this every morning?” He was smiling and not serious.

“No because you’ll be back into a routine.”

He laughed and mumbled “slave drivers” as he headed for the bathroom. As he came back down the hall his phone pinged with a message from Riley. He looked at the message, smiled, picked up his bag and lunch money, gave us a hug and headed for the door. As he opened the door he politely asked, “Do I get a key for this door?”

Andre laughed, “I’ll add it to the list of things we have to do.”

We got a “thumbs up” as he closed the door behind him.

A little while later Skye pushed the door open carrying William. William was getting bigger and requiring more attention, but he knew us and settled quickly. We had a folding cot, we set up in our room, and an area in the living room where we spread blankets for him to roll around, play with toys and try to crawl.

Skye thanked us. “Thank you again for looking after him. Now you’re living so close, dropping him off today is so easy.” She passed William to me. “Beau said he’d be here after he gets the guys started on another job. If everything’s OK, I’ll see you after work.”

“Everything’s fine and now I’ve got Andre to help me.”

Skye gave each of us a hug and a kiss and departed.

William had recently been fed and was sleeping soundly. We settled him in the cot and were both smiling happily at the way our day had started when Beau arrived. He asked if he could have a coffee and added that he had two mates downstairs who would also like a coffee. He phoned them to find out how they liked their coffee and told Andre.

We made the five coffees and carrying the coffees, a packet of Tim Tams and a WiFi baby monitor, we all went downstairs. We distributed the coffees and opened the packet of Tim Tams. The other two stopped work and Beau introduced everyone. The five of us stood around with our coffees, munched on Tim Tams, and chatted about the work they were doing in what would be my new shop and work area.

Beau was work serious as he told me, “Chris, Jenny has pointed out a problem with your server room aircon. It needs to be a separate system and run separately from your general office aircon. It’s an easy fix by putting your server room right at the back, against the back wall if that’s OK with you. That puts that aircon unit outside the back wall. At this stage we can do the move easily by just re-positioning some wall frames.” I had no reason to object and agreed.

“When do you think it’ll be finished?”

“Depends what you mean by finished? We’ll have it ready for painting by the end of this week and after painting you need floor covering and then move everything in. The problem is the painter we use isn’t available until the week after next. That puts you back a week for moving in.”

Andre indicated me and added, “I know Chris wants to move in ASAP. We can do the painting at the weekend. Might even get some help from my brother.”

Beau laughed. “Sure mate. You’ve got my help but remember I’m planning a lot of renovating and updating for our place and may need my brother’s help later on.”

Andre laughed, “Deal!”

“And we’ll start on your shop next week. Should be quicker than for Chris.”

“Fine. My place can wait for the painter to be available.”

I returned to discussing my shop. “Remember I need to soundproof the studio.”

“Yeah we’ve got acoustic panels for the studio walls and we’ve got insulating panels for the walls of your server room. Have you talked to the architect about upstairs?”

Andre answered, “We have and he’s sending some sketch plans over in a few days. We’ll get you and dad to have a look when they arrive.”

We finished the coffees and they handed back the empty mugs and empty Tim Tam packet.

Back upstairs I had an idea. “I’m going to see if Tyron would like some more paid work helping us paint my shop on the weekend.”

Andre agreed. “We could use the help and I’m sure he could use the extra cash.”

I sent a text. <Would you like to earn some extra money helping paint my new office on the weekend?>

<u mean our new shop 😊>

I paused then sent, <If you see it that way. Yeah>

<awesome no charge labour of love I’ll get rest of awesome4some to help>

I was surprised and could only think to send, <thanks>

I looked at Andre. “He’ll help and doesn’t want to be paid.”

“Poor decision on his part but why?”

I showed Andre the text messages.

“Hmmm, he’s identifying as part of your business. If you want to keep him you can’t just have him employed as a part time casual. You’ll have to make him part of your business. I’ll give you some suggestions later.”

Back to thinking about work, I wanted to have a good look at Lachlan’s website and think about how it could be updated and made more user friendly and interactive. I could do this from my laptop. While I was online working Andre was tinkering about, checking on William and reading through paperwork. He came up behind me. “Did you know it’s Ollie’s birthday next week?”

I stopped work and turned around, “In all the discussions we had his age was mentioned but I don’t remember his birthday being mentioned.”

“I don’t remember it being mentioned either, but it’s here in all this paperwork about him.”

We looked at each other and simultaneously said “Surprise birthday party.”

We were going to need help. I phoned Tyron. “We’ve just discovered it’s Ollie’s birthday next Wednesday. We want to organize a surprise birthday for him. We need help organizing it. But, it has to be a surprise.”

“Awesome. Leave it to us. We’ll plan something. He’ll be amazed.”

“Remember you need to include his friends from around here. Riley can help there.”

“Who’s Riley?”

“Riley’s his best friend from when he lived here before.”

“Didn’t know he lived there before. Give me Riley’s info and he can work with us.”

“Remember we’re paying so keep us informed.”

“I’ll leave the food up to you.”

“God no! I have no idea what you guys want to eat at a party or how much.”

“You could google it.”

I smiled, even though he couldn’t see it. “Or you and your Merry Men could just tell me.”

He laughed, “Sure we’ll come up with some suggestions and let you know.”

I ended the call and looked at Andre. “There’s something else we have to do.”

“My list is getting longer, but yeah what is it.”

“Ollie has to meet Skye and Beau and your parents and my parents.”

“You’re right. Beau and Skye at least know about him, but our parents don’t.”

“Skye and Beau are easy. They practically live next door. We can invite them over for dinner and invite Michael and Jamie as well.”

“That will work. I’ll go down and talk to Beau.”

Just then William let out a baby attention seeking cry.

We both said, “I’ll get William,” looked at each other and laughed.

Andre smiled at me and said, “You go talk to Beau. It’s my chance to be uncle here.”

A quick thank you kiss and I was downstairs explaining to Beau, “We are now officially fostering Ollie. It started yesterday. Today is our first full day. We want him to met you and Skye and your mum and dad. How about you and your parents come to dinner tomorrow night?”

“Better idea. The weather’s still good for outside. We have an outside entertainment area with barbecue grill and oven. We invite mum and dad, maybe Jamie and Michael and what about our mutual neighbours. They’re a great family and they have a son about the same age as Ollie.”

“I like it and yeah, Riley, our neighbour’s son, is Ollie’s best friend from before his mum moved away. Yeah, definitely include them. What help will you need with catering?”

“Talk to mum. I bet mum and dad will want to take over organizing the whole evening, even without knowing about Ollie. They love all of us, including our new neighbours. They all got on great at the moving in barbecue. I’ll let you know after I phone mum and then you can phone her about catering.”

Back upstairs William had been changed and was in the middle of a large handmade quilt, intricately pieced in gorgeous warm autumn colours. Andre was on his hands and knees entertaining William.

“Wow. Where did that quilt come from?”

“It was in a back cupboard. There are a couple more there.”

“Of course, the previous owners ran a quilting shop. Obviously they would have handmade quilts. We should contact them to see if they want them.”

“True. This one looks so right for William. Why don’t we send them a pic of William on it when we ask if they want the quilts back.”

“That’s emotional blackmail and you know it. Anyway, William probably needs feeding.”

“I got the food ready. I thought we could feed him together.”

How could I argue. Cleaned, fed, photographed on the quilt and entertained, bubs easily fell asleep.

 

While William was asleep I went back to my laptop. I reminded Andre that we needed to build a website for his business as well as customize my business/accounting package for each of his and the family businesses.

That led to us tossing ideas around and making copious notes until we were interrupted by William. By the time we had settled him again we were ready for our own lunch.

Andre was making coffee and sandwiches when my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and as it was Carol I said “your mother” to Andre and took the call on speaker.

“When were you going to tell me you are foster parents?”

I smiled, “Hi Carol, and tomorrow night.”

“How long have you been foster parents?”

I looked at the clock. “About twenty-six hours.”

That brought a pause. Andre was enjoying me having to take the call but I knew I had his full support.

“So it’s only just happened?”

“Approval to be foster parents has taken a while but actually being foster parents only happened yesterday morning.” I paused and continued. “Hopefully, this is a long term foster placement. We want Ollie, that’s his name, to meet our family and close friends. We thought an informal meal tomorrow would be perfect for him to meet everyone and vice versa.”

“So Skye and Beau haven’t met him yet.” Her tone softened. “I still haven’t forgotten you told Skye and Beau about being a couple before you told me.” She wasn’t angry just a little bit peeved.

Andre spoke up. “Mum that’s water under the bridge. We explained that to you at the time.”

“I know you did darling, and I’ve forgiven you but, I’m a mother, I haven’t forgotten.” There was no anger, just motherly matter of fact.

Andre was happily into this. “And I haven’t forgotten that you told Skye and Beau that Chris and I were living together before we had a chance to.”

This brought another short pause. “Of course I did. I’m your mother and it’s my responsibility to find out first and then ensure everyone in the family knows what’s happening.” Andre and I started laughing loudly, neglecting to mute the mic.

We heard one, “Stop laughing” before the speaker erupted with Carol’s laughter.

When we all stopped laughing Carol said, “Thanks I needed that. You guys are good at bringing me back to earth. Now tomorrow night. How many people?”

Carol was back to organizationally in charge.

“At this stage, ten adults and four teenagers. That’s family, Michael and Jamie and Logan and his family.”

“That’s next door neighbour Logan?”

“Yes his son is Ollie’s best friend.”

“We met them when we moved Skye and Beau into their house. They’re a really nice family. I’m pleased you’re all going to be neighbours. Lachlan and I can organize the food and cook over there.”

“Would you like us to prepare dessert?”

“It will help if you can do that Chris.”

“I said ‘us prepare the dessert’. Andre and I will prepare it together.”

There was another pause, but this time her response was, “You two are so good for each other. See you tomorrow for dinner. Love you both.”

We looked at each other. “Well, there goes our surprise for my parents.”

“I suspect Beau is downstairs shitting himself about revealing what the dinner is about.”

“Probably but don’t be too hard on him. Obviously mum smelt something was up with having the BBQ mid-week and he crumpled under the ‘mum inquisition’ and nobody expects the inquisition.”

“I understand. Should we put him out of his misery?”

“While I’d enjoy him suffering for a while, I think you should call him.”

I scrolled to Beau on contacts and pressed call. He answered quickly, “Chris I’m sorry . .” was far as he go before I cut him off. “It’s fine. She called us and now everything’s cool.”

“Really?”

“Yeah really. Your mum, and hence dad, are keen to meet Ollie and are organizing the food. Andre and I are preparing dessert. Can you organize some booze?”

“Sure. Easy. No problem. I’ll organize soft drink as well.”

After lunch, I continued to look after William while Andre went to get some keys cut and do some shopping for dinner. We decided on Spaghetti Bolognese as something everyone likes. I sent a photo of William lying on the quilt to Marjorie and Harold with a short text explaining about finding the quilts and asking about returning them.

 

We knew when school was out because two “starving” boys burst through the door urgently seeking life sustaining sustenance. Ollie came straight up to us and wrapped us in warm hugs. Surprisingly Riley also gave us a hug each.

“Any chance of some sandwiches.” Ollie asked as he broke his hug.

“Sure. How about peanut butter and vegemite?”

“Eww not on the same sandwich.”

I laughed “You know that’s not what I meant. Go and change out of your school uniform while we make some sandwiches. You want milk?”

He was all smiles. “OK. Thanks. Back in a minute.”

Riley and I started making sandwiches and I took the opportunity to speak to him softly.

“Riley, don’t be surprised when Tyron contacts you.”

He stopped making sandwiches and looked at me. “Tyron from the Awesome Foursome?”

“Well yeah. But he . .”

“So Ollie wasn’t kidding me when he said he was part of the Awesome Foursome?”

I was running out of time before Ollie would be back. “No he wasn’t and Tyron needs your help with something but you can’t tell Ollie. OK?”

“I s’pose, but is something wrong?”

“You don’t have to worry. Everything’s OK.”

“What’s OK?” It was Ollie returning more casually dressed.

I responded, “The sandwich making but we need someone to get the milk out of the fridge and pour two glasses.”

“Onto it.”

Mental note, “buy lots of milk”.

“There’s a baby in your room. Is it the same one that was there when Mr McDougal brought me to meet you?”

They sat and devoured the sandwiches and milk while Andre explained again, “The baby is William and he’s my nephew. Chris has been looking after him on Tuesdays and now we are both looking after him.”

“So he’s your nephew. So that sort of makes him my cousin or something. Am I going to meet his mum and dad?”

I let Andre continue, “Yes you will meet his mum and dad tomorrow night. They live in the house on the other side of Riley’s house. We’re going to have a BBQ there.”

“They’re really nice people. We met them when they moved in.” Riley added as they were finishing the sandwiches and then asked, “Can Ollie come and have dinner with us tonight? I asked my parents and they said he could.”

I smiled as I realized that these two were quickly picking up their friendship that had been interrupted by some extremely traumatic events. Andre was watching and also understood. I read his expression.

“Sure. When you are ready to go over there. I’ll come with you. I need to invite your parents to the BBQ tomorrow night.”

They put their plates and glasses on the sink and Ollie commented to Riley, “We’ve got time for a game before we go to your place.”

Riley nodded and they headed for Ollie’s room.

I looked at Andre. “I think we’ll have to get used to him having friends here.”

Andre smiled, leaned into me and we kissed. “Yes, and if they’re all like Riley we can easily manage. Looks like just you and me for dinner.” We kissed again and laughed.

Shortly afterwards Beau came upstairs and said he would take William home. He asked where Ollie was and I told him Ollie was in his room with a friend playing games. I reminded him he would meet Ollie along with Carol tomorrow night. Beau decided it was best to wait until tomorrow.

William woke when Beau picked him up, but he recognized his dad and settled quickly. On his way out Beau said, “I like the quilt on the floor there. Did you take a pic of William on it? Can we have a copy if you did?”

“Yes, we took a pic and yes you can have a copy. See you tomorrow.”

 

When it was time for the boys to go to Riley’s for dinner we called and reminded them. I indicated that Andre could go with them to invite Riley’s family to the BBQ. Andre countered by saying we were a couple and should make the invitation as a couple.

The four of us wandered next door. Ollie was welcomed by everybody like the return of a missing family member. It was heartwarming to observe. Andre and I hung back a bit to allow Ollie to interact with the family. When things settled down enough, we invited the family to the barbecue tomorrow, and apologized for the short notice.

Riley’s mum, Ashley, responded immediately, “Thank you that will be wonderful. We met Skye and Beau when they moved in. They’re a lovely couple. It will be wonderful to get to know them better. Is there anything we should bring tomorrow for the barbecue?”

I answered, “Thanks for offering but it’s all under control. Carol and Lachlan are organizing the food, we’re making dessert and Beau’s organizing drinks. Just bring yourselves.”

Ashley was a bit confused, “You’re issuing the invitation and making the dessert. What’s your connection to Skye and Beau?”

Andre grinned, “Sorry if we haven’t made that clear. Beau’s my brother. I’d like to say ‘my little brother’ but it gets me into trouble.” Logan and Ashley chuckled as Andre continued, “I’m afraid you’re surrounded by our family.”

Logan laughed, “We could do a lot worse. You are all good people and you two brought back Ollie. You know we all love that kid.”

We both nodded and Andre commented, “We did notice. And he loves you all back.”

Logan looked around and checked that Ashley had gone back to the kitchen where she was preparing dinner. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah, what do you want to know?”

He hesitated, “Ahh umm Ollie, why is he in foster care? I mean what happened that he’s not with his mother?”

We had anticipated this to some extent and we’d given Ollie some different ways he could respond if he was asked by his friends. Now we were being asked by other adults who were potential friends. How much to disclose?

Andre and I looked at each other and I responded, “After Ollie’s father was killed, his mother made some bad choices with men and ended up in a relationship with a guy and his friends who were engaged in . . . . . let’s just say, in illegal activities. Ollie couldn’t be left to live with his mother.” While true it left out the details we wanted kept confidential for Ollie’s sake.

Logan made eye contact with both of us. “I get the picture and it stays with me and Ashley. Dan was an amazing dad for Ollie. He loved Ollie and did great things with him, but we always thought his mum, Chrissie, was rather flaky. I can’t say she was a bad mum but she certainly wasn’t a good mum. There were times when I felt she really didn’t care much about Ollie. I’m not surprised that she picked up with the wrong people.”

Andre said, “Thanks for understanding. At this stage we just want the best for Ollie.”

“Thanks for telling me at least that much. From what I’ve seen you’re really good for Ollie and he’s a happy kid. I’m looking forward to tomorrow night and I’m sure the rest of my family are too.”

“We’re looking forward to it. Remember its mid-week so it’ll be an early start. Say six o’clock.”

“Cool. We’ll all be there.”

We said goodnight to Logan and Ashley and reminded Ollie to be home early because he had school the next day. Smiling happily, we went back home.

“Well we have the place to ourselves, but what are we going to eat?

I thought for a moment. “How about we make a frittata and salad? The Spaghetti can wait for another night.”

“Sounds good. Let’s get started.”

 

True to his word Ollie was back early. He used the bathroom and we heard the shower running. Shortly after he joined us in the living room. His hair was still damp and he was wearing his sleep shorts. He was making his point. He sat between us even though there really wasn’t enough room.

“Thanks for taking care of me. I know this is only the second night I’ve been with you but, it just feels so right.”

He turned to me and gave me a hug and then to Andre and gave him a hug. He stood up. “I know I’m too old for it but, would you tuck me into bed? It would remind me of dad. He used to do that.”

How could we refuse? The three of us walked down to Ollie’s bedroom and pulled down the covers. Ollie slipped into bed and we pulled the covers over him. I ruffled his slightly damp hair and Andre bent down and lightly kissed his forehead. Ollie smiled and looked at me, silently asking for the same. I kissed his forehead and Andre ruffled his hair.

Ollie’s smile broadened even more. “Thanks. That’s what dad used to do.” He yawned and rolled onto his side. “Goodnight. I’ll see you in the morning.”

We said goodnight and walked out, turning off the light and closing his bedroom door behind us. In the hall we looked at each other, both acknowledging what had just happened. Ollie wanted us to be like his dad, Dan.

Copyright © 2023 Paladin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 20
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Al Norris said:

:rofl:

I may not be much of an author (more of an editor), but I know one thing... Without conflict, there is no story. Might as well have the BBQ, the B-day party, and then everyone lives HEA.

Somehow, someway, I don't think she is out of Oliver's life. More's the pity!

You got me there @Al Norris, there will be conflict. Stay reading to discover when, what and involving whom.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Ollie will always miss his Dad, but hopefully he can have new Dads in Andre and Chris

This is exactly what Andre and Chris are hoping. Fingers crossed.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..