Jump to content
    Paladin
  • Author
  • 4,217 Words
  • 352 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andre and Chris - 14. Chapter 14

I woke before the alarm. I do not think we had moved during the night. Andre was still in the middle with our arms around him. They were both still sleeping soundly. I could hear Andre’s steady relaxed breathing. He was feeling secure and loved. Jamie had been our rock last night. He had remained grounded in the midst of our swirling emotions. We both needed him.

I must have stirred enough to wake them because they both started the moving and stretching associated with waking up. Jamie opened his eyes. “Morning! How are we all feeling?”

Andre rolled onto his back and turned to face him. “Better than I felt last night. Thank you.”

I leaned over and kissed Andre. “I also feel better. Thanks Jamie.”

“Do I get a kiss as well?” Jamie was joking but still got a kiss from each of us.

“I could get used to this.”

I ruffled his hair. “How about a shower and breakfast?”

“Now that’s something else I could really get used to.”

We showered together with Jamie in the middle as we both soaped and cleaned him. It was sensual and fun with some playful tickles. A diversion we needed to start the day.

Over breakfast Jamie asked, “What are you two doing today? Are you planning to go to work, or what?”

I answered first. “I need to go to the police station and deliver the gaming hardware and software for delivery to Ollie.”

Andre added, “I also need to go there to confirm I’m prepared to give evidence. I’ll also let work know I won’t be in today.”

Jamie stood and hugged each of us. “I’m going to make a couple of calls and then I’ve got patients booked all day but if you need me just call. You’re important to me and if you need me, I’ll reschedule patients or call in a locum. Otherwise, I’ll see you tonight.”

He went to leave but before he could we both returned his hugs with an extended group hug. Andre spoke for both of us. “Thanks for last night. It helped more than you know. You’re an awesome friend. We love you. We’ll see you tonight.”

Jamie kissed each of us, “I’ll visit the hospital florist and organize flowers for Mamma from all of us.” We thanked him and he left for work.

 

At 10:40 we walked into Gosford police station and were greeted by David and then ushered into his office. As well as his desk there was a round table, around which we sat, occupying three of the four chairs.

Andre cleared his throat. “You suggested I think about whether I still want to give evidence. I’ve thought about it, and I still want to give evidence.”

David visibly relaxed. “Thanks Andre because that will help us a lot. I’ve got a mixture of news about where we are up to. Most of this the media will know after he appears in court this morning. Even so they can’t publish his name or anything that would identify Oliver. The good news is that I contacted the other victim of historic abuse, and he has agreed to give evidence. I’ve also got some officers following up on the names you gave us.”

Before he could continue Andre passed an envelope across the table. David opened it. “What’s this?”

“It’s the names of two more adults who were also . . . ah part of what happened.”

David looked at the names. “Thanks. One of these is named in the other statement. This is really good. You need to know his lawyer has indicted he will plead ‘not guilty’ and apply for release on bail. We will oppose that, especially as we are investigating these historic sexual abuse cases.”

We nodded that we understood. If bail was granted, he would be free until the trial.

“Also, when we charge him with the historic cases, which we will do now, he will be identified in the media, but only for the historic cases. He still won’t be identified for his abuse of Ollie. Also Andre, you can only be identified if you agree. Hopefully once he is named other victims will come forward.”

That was good news, even if it will be a few days before he is charged.

“I have more good news. Oliver is with a foster carer and settled down last night. The doctor has finished his report on the physical side of the abuse and is waiting on the results of DNA testing of semen samples he found. We look like having a very strong case.”

He paused and looked across the table at us. “I know you want to look after Oliver and my gut feeling is that you would be magnificent foster parents, so I encourage you to apply for approval. The thing is this. Last night a social worker and one of my officers visited the mother. She was angry and abusive about the arrest and put all the blame onto Oliver.”

I could not stop myself. “She blamed Oliver for all the injuries he had! I saw his back when he was being examined. It was a mass of bruises and lacerations. That couldn’t be his fault.”

“Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for the victim to be blamed for what happened to them.” I glanced knowingly at Andre as David continued, “Obviously while she’s like this Oliver can’t be returned to her, but we have an obligation to return him to live with family if possible and safe. At this stage he’s staying in foster care.”

“What about the gaming stuff I have for him? How are we getting it to him? I’ve included three controllers so the other foster kids can play as well.”

A wry smile passed across David’s face. “I won’t ask how but it seems you know where he is. I’ll get one of my officers to take it to him.”

“What if he needs help setting it all up?”

“I’m sure most of my officers could do that or do you have someone in mind?”

“I was wondering if your son would be interested in setting it up. He could have Ollie video him doing it which would keep Ollie from being seen. We could then edit it and screen it on my channel.”

David burst out laughing. “Bradley would kill me if he found out I’d turned down an offer like that. OK we’ll transfer everything to my car and I’ll take it out with Bradley after school today.”

David arranged for me to drive into the police car park at the back of the station, and we transferred the gaming setup into David’s car. We shook hands and David said, “Thanks both of you for your assistance and Andre, remember I’ve got officers following up on all the names you’re given us.”

 

We needed coffee so I our first stop was a coffee shop. We ordered our coffees and sat down. I looked at Andre and could see he was unhappy. Our meeting with David had not lifted his spirits.

I reached across and held his hand. “Are you worried we won’t get to foster or adopt Ollie?”

I saw the tears start. “Yes. I didn’t think about him having grandparents and possibly aunts and uncles who could take him. If he goes to live with one of them, we may never see him again.”

I kept holding his hand. “I understand. I hadn’t thought about extended family either, however when he was abused, he didn’t run to his grandparents or other family. Also, at the police station he asked if could stay with us. He didn’t ask to stay with any of his family. What does that tell you?”

He used a tissue and half smiled. “You’re right, but there’s still his mother.”

“Yes, and if she changes from how she is right now and is a good mother I think we could still have a role in his life. If she doesn’t well, we need to make sure we’re approved to be foster parents.”

Andre smiled. “So you have the same concerns that I have but you still see some positive outcomes.”

“Yeah I do. But there’s something else. This whole thing has made me realize that there are other kids like Ollie who can’t go back to their parents and who need to be cared for. Noah’s grandparents can only do temporary foster care. Short term stuff. Even if we can’t foster Ollie, there’s going to be another child we could foster long term.”

Andre’s smile widened. “It could be like having a family.” Smiling, I nodded.

Our coffees were delivered. “Is there anything else you need.”

I looked across the table, we grinned at each other, and Andre replied, “Thank you. Just now, that’s all we need.”

He smiled. “OK. Enjoy your coffee.” He walked away.

I said, “We really do need to start our application to be foster parents.”

“We can do that this afternoon.” By now we were both happier and smiling. The excellent coffee helped.

Just then both our phones pinged. Michael had sent out a group message. “I’m with Mamma now and she insists I give you her thanks for the beautiful flowers.

I typed a response and showed it to Andre who agreed. I sent, “Tell Mamma we love her and want to see her fully recovered and looking as beautiful as the flowers when we next visit Melbourne.”

A message from Jamie also appeared. “Tell Mamma I agree with Andre and Chris and we all want to see her well again soon.

There was a pause and Michael responded to the group. “Mamma said to tell you she loves all of us and wants us to visit when she is feeling better. I think the visit bit is an order!

The group chat immediately displayed a collection of thumbs up, happy emojis and cascading hearts from the four of us.

Michael signed off with “Thanks guys. I just showed mamma my screen. She’s still smiling. I’m looking forward to seeing you all Saturday.” Our mood had lifted making us feel happier.

We’d finished our coffee and the waiter appeared again. “How was the coffee. Can I get you anything else?”

Andre looked at the time on his phone. “It’s nearly lunchtime. I’d like your beef burger special with the lot and chips and salad. It’s been a while since I’ve had a good burger.” He looked at me. “We don’t get to cook them at home.”

I looked at him and could see he was only half serious. I ordered the same meal and our waiter left.

“Do you want us to cook burgers for you? We can have burgers whenever you want.”

He was back to the playful Andre I really loved. “Chris, I love your cooking and the things we cook together, it’s just that sometimes I’d just like a burger.”

I started laughing, “We can do burgers any time you want, and I’ll enjoy them with you.”

“I’ll keep you to that.” And then, “You know, I think it was clever of you to pull David’s son into setting up the gaming stuff. Did you plan that?”

I laughed. “No it was totally spur of the moment. But I like it and maybe I should expand to use Tyron and maybe Jackson on my channel as well.”

“That sounds as if you have decided to use them. Are you afraid of losing your teenage audience?”

“Well, I am getting older.”

Andre scoffed. “Not for me, you sexy hunk.”

I laughed and ran my fingers across the top of his hand, which conveniently was still resting on the table, “You’re my sexy hunk but you don’t watch my channel. I’m thinking of having them make videos of things that have more interest to them and their friends. It will also keep me in touch with how their age group uses technology.”

It was Andre’s turn to laugh. “Hey, I’m the business guy. It’s supposed to be my job to suggest ways for you to keep widening your audience.”

“You inspire me, and we’re a team both in our relationship and our businesses.”

“I so love you.”

“Í love you more.”

Our burgers, with a side of hot chips in a wire basket and a small salad arrived. I thanked our friendly waiter. They were delicious.

I had something to ask but I was a bit wary. Andre knows me and read my face. “What do you want to know?”

“It’s about Jamie.” Andre was more curious than anything. “Or about his parents. I haven’t heard him mention them and neither have you or Michael.”

Andre thought for a moment before responding. “Of course you wouldn’t know, not that it’s a secret. You just weren’t here with us. The short version is that Jamie’s mum developed breast cancer. It was aggressive and she had a mastectomy and chemo but it had already spread and she never really recovered. Jamie’s dad couldn’t cope with her deteriorating health, and he really lost it when she died. It was much more than normal grief. They were deeply in love and during the final stages of the cancer and then her death he really fell apart. He became depressed and withdrawn.”

“Then about a year after she died he was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor. That was when Jamie and Michael met. The growth was well advanced and despite the medical advice, including Michael’s, he refused treatment or accepted it unenthusiastically. Jamie and his sister, Leanne, watched their father waste away, without the will to live and accepting, or probably embracing, death.

Jamie and Leanne have accepted that their father’s refusal to accept treatment was part of his unresolved grieving and desire to be with his beloved wife. Fortunately, Jamie had Michael’s love and support and Leanne had her husband to help her.

“Does Jamie’s sister live locally?

“No. Her husband was offered a transfer to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, so they moved and that’s where they are now. They live on a farm growing pineapples and macadamia nuts which gives them lifestyle and extra income.

“Does Jamie visit them?”

“He does. Jamie and Leanne both continue to stay in touch with each other. They regularly meet up during the Christmas and New Year holiday period.”

“I love Jamie as a wonderful friend. I’m sad that he had to go through that, and I’m pleased he’s got Michael’s love and support.”

After we finished eating Andre said, “I think now we should leave and start our applications to be foster parents.”

It was exactly what I wanted to do so I wholeheartedly agreed.

We settled the bill and headed home. On the way we bought some Tasmanian Salmon fillets, lemons and asparagus spears for dinner.

We entered the townhouse and quickly went online to go through what was involved in becoming foster parents, and then started the applications. We each made an online application because we knew we would both have to be approved.

We gave our details and agreed to having the Working with Children check, which included a police background check. My application was simple until it came to needing work history details. This wasn’t a problem for Andre but suddenly the gap in my work history was again very real. I took a deep breath and started typing and hoped that they would just skim over the fake company that disguised who I really worked for in the States. When we finished, we looked at each other, nodded and simultaneously pressed send.

Andre was excited. “We’ve done it. I feel really pleased that we are doing this.”

I stood and we hugged and kissed. “Me too. How about a coffee?”

Andre glanced at the time on the monitor. “Coffee would be good but we’ve got a while before Jamie arrives so bed would be better.”

I took his hand and we walked into the bedroom. The stress of the last thirty six hours had washed off and we were ready to make relaxed love to each other. It wasn’t long before we were in bed naked, kissing and running our hands over each other’s arousing bodies as a lead up to more passionate lovemaking.

Finished, we luxuriated in each other’s arms and the afterglow of our lovemaking. “I love you” seemed simultaneously totally right but totally not enough.

It was Andre who broke the spell. “I think we need to shower, change the sheets and get ready for dinner. You should probably check what happened with your business today.”

Enjoying the touch of his soft lips, I slowly and tenderly kissed him. “I’ll join you for a shower and changing the sheets. We can work the rest out after that.”

We showered together, dressed and changed the bedding. Andre put the old bedding in the washing machine, and I started in the kitchen. I was about to start the coffee machine when the doorbell rang. It was a bit early for Jamie and anyway the door was unlocked so he wouldn’t ring.

I opened the door to be greeted by David and a bouncingly exuberant fifteen year old adolescent I assumed was Bradley. I smiled happily and offered, “Welcome, please come in and you must be Bradley.”

Before Bradley could respond, David explained, “Sorry to arrive at this time but Bradley insisted you would want to see the raw footage they took this afternoon.”

I smiled happily at the beaming Bradley. “You have it all on your phone?”

“Yes Chris. Can we look at it?”

David was about to reprimand Bradley when I intervened, “Sorry David but I’m ‘Chris’ on my channel so it was natural for Bradley to call me that. He’s not being disrespectful.” David nodded that he understood.

Andre walked in and greeted everyone and suggested drinks. The adults opted for coffee while Bradley opted for Coke.

Andre went to organize the drinks and I suggested we all go into my workroom and watch the raw footage.

Bradly looked, wide eyed, at my setup. “Wow. This is so awesome. I wish I could have this. Can I edit on this.” He turned to look at me, pleadingly. “Please.”

I chuckled as I logged on and set it up for Bradley, “Yes, we will edit on this setup but not tonight because we won’t have time. Tonight we’ll look at the raw footage and make some suggestions about editing it and decide when you will come back to do the editing. So, don’t just stand there. Connect your phone and download the video. You can see I’ve created a folder for you.”

Andre returned with the coffees and coke and distributed them. Bradley sat in my chair and the rest of us stood around and watched the raw footage. It was good. Better than I expected. Bradley was a natural in front of camera and great at explaining what he was doing. The camera work using a mobile phone was also much better than I expected. Bradley wasn’t using the phone to video so I assumed it was Ollie.

The video finished and Bradley swung around in my chair to face us He was beaming. “Well what do you think?” He was met with applause.

David was first to respond. “Son, I can’t tell you how impressed I am. I had no idea you could do this. I’m so proud of you.” He pulled Bradley up into a very fatherly hug.

I added, “This is awesome stuff Bradley. You should be proud of what you can do. Editing will be easy and mainly just to shorten and tighten it. I loved your cheerful and light hearted approach and I liked that when you made a mistake you owned it, explained what you’d done wrong and how to correct it. Who used your phone to video it?” I assumed it was Ollie.

“That was . . .” He paused and looked at his dad. “It’s OK Bradley you can tell these people.” Bradley continued, “It was Ollie. He’s a great little guy and I didn’t even have to explain anything about using the video function. He really likes you guys and wants me to say ‘hi’ from him. When can we do the editing?”

This was just so good. “Hopefully tomorrow afternoon and I’d like my assistant Tyron to help with the editing. He’s first year university. I think you two will understand each other.” I turned to David. “Can Bradley come here straight after school?”

“Yeah, I think so. I’ll be on duty, but his mum should be able to bring him around.”

“Terrific. Bradley, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow afternoon.”

Bradley wanted to watch his video again, so we left him there and walked into the lounge.

“David, I’m just letting you know that this afternoon we both applied to become foster parents.”

“Chris that’s great news. I’m sure you’ll be wonderful foster parents. I’ll make sure the police check gets started and I’ll ask my contacts here to organize the home visit and interviews as soon as possible.” He looked around to make sure Bradley was still in my workroom. “Off the record, we have another statement of historical abuse. That’s three so far. The case is getting stronger. The other thing is Oliver’s mother has not changed and he still can’t go back to her. Other family don’t seem willing either.”

“Thanks for telling us.”

Bradley joined us looking particularly pleased with himself. David put his hand on Bradley’s shoulder. “Come on champ. I need to get you home so you can tell your mum and siblings what you’ve been doing.” Bradley beamed even more as they walked to their car.

 

Andre kissed me. “I feel like we’ve turned a corner and things are starting to fall into place. I’m starting to see us with a different but exciting and rewarding future.”

“Where’s this all coming from? Have you turned clairvoyant on us?”

He burst out laughing. “No nothing like that. It’s just the combination of things, like buying the shops and apartments together, me starting my own business, Ollie coming into our lives, us wanting to be foster parents, you including young people in your channel and,” he paused and looked into my eyes, “and me having some closure on what happened to me.”

I embraced him and we kissed. “I think you will need some more help with closure.” Andre nodded to show he agreed. “But, when you put it the way you did, yeah, our future seems to have taken a different and potentially very positive direction. I hope it’ll run smoothly and in a direction that will include another significant milestone.”

Andre grinned his devilish grin. “I’ll say it again. You are a total romantic.”

 

Jamie walked through the door, looked at us and smiled. “You two certainly look a thousand percent better than last night. I’ll just change into something comfortable, and you can tell me what’s been happening. Have a drink ready for me.” He disappeared into the bedroom.

Andre laughed, “Three G&Ts coming up.”

The drinks were ready when Jamie returned and he gave each of us a hug and a kiss. He accepted the G&T Andre handed him and commented, “Let me see. You are both looking happy and satisfied. You have both showered and the bed has been completely remade. Does this mean that you spent the afternoon doing what you couldn’t do with me sleeping with you?”

I replied, “Sprung!” We all burst out laughing.

Andre added, “Jamie you didn’t actually prevent us having sex. If we really wanted to have sex, I know you well enough to tell you to bugger off and let us. And I know you well enough to know that you would. We’re very happy to have you sharing our bed and especially last night.”

I said, “Can we move to the kitchen so we can discuss what’s happening while I cook.”

Jamie asked, “What are you cooking?”

“Tasmanian Salmon fillets with Lemon Risotto and steamed asparagus.”

“Can we help.” It was Jamie. “I want to learn some of your recipes.”

They both helped and together we prepared the meal and talked about our day. Jamie was amused that I’d hooked Bradley into doing a video for my channel, happy that we were serious about wanting to foster Ollie and pleased that someone else had given a statement to the police.

He then admitted, “I contacted a few friends today and started the rumour mill about him being arrested and the police wanting help from the public. I have a feeling there will be some more people contacting the police.”

 

We finished cooking and plated the meal. With a glass of wine each we sat at the table and continued to chat while eating.

Jamie casually asked, “Have you told Beau and Skye?”

A simple enough question. Andre fell silent and that silence spread to me and then Jamie. Telling about Ollie was easy, but it led ultimately to Andre telling about his own history. Was Andre ready to tell Beau and Skye and then, how about his mum and dad?

Copyright © 2023 Paladin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Thomas Wells said:

Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!Thank you!

 

Oh, did I say Thank you?

Did you? :)  Oh, and Thank You.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..