Jump to content
    Paladin
  • Author
  • 3,548 Words
  • 442 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andre and Chris - 11. Chapter 11

We were motivated so we spent time each night from Wednesday to Friday checking online for somewhere suitable for me to run my business. Then we spent most of the weekend visiting Real Estate Agents and looking at possible places. There were a couple of possible places but nothing that actually grabbed us as ideal.

Sunday night we were exhausted but determined to get our heads around what we liked about the places we’d seen and what we didn’t like about them. We ended up with a list of what we were looking for, and it was about what we were looking for. We were in this together. High on the list was location. We didn’t want to move too far from where we were living and where Michael and Jamie, and Beau and Skye (and William) were living.

After dinner we were sitting together in front of the TV which was screening a program that were only pretending to watch.

I pulled my love closer. “It’s obviously easier to find a house that suits us than work premises for me. Maybe we should just think about a really big house and I just keep working from home.”

“I want that to be our last choice. I can see that you are trying hard to not work at night and weekends but you are still ‘sneaking’ off to do work stuff. Maybe a house with a separate ‘granny flat’ for your business would work. We could look at that.”

I knew he was right. I needed my new work premises to be separate from our house. “I’m sorry for still doing some work stuff while you are home. It’s a bit of a habit. I agree separate house and work is what we need.”

He turned and kissed my forehead. “No need to be sorry. If it really worried me, I’d have said something earlier.” His lips moved lower and made contact with mine. That signalled it was time for shower and bed.

 

We continued our new routine the next week. Work during the day, except for looking after William on Tuesday, and checking out online Real Estate each night. The only variation was Michael calling on Thursday to say that the date had been set for Mamma’s operation and he would be flying to Melbourne on Monday. He asked if we could keep an eye on Jamie. We both heard Jamie in the background saying he wasn’t a kid and didn’t need looking after. Michael loved teasing Jamie.

On Friday night Andre was excited when he walked in through the door. We kissed but his excitement was infectious. “OK what’s going on.?”

“An old shop came on the market today. I noticed as I walked past the Real Estate Agent’s office window. Let’s go and have a look.”

I looked at the time. “They’ll be closed now. We’ll have to do it in the morning.”

“We can still go and have a look, even if it’s just the outside. See if we like the look of it and the location.”

Andre convinced me so we drove the short distance to the shop. On a large corner block there were two adjoining brick shops with what looked like apartments upstairs. Across the road was a large, grassed park with a basketball court off to one side. It was a nice residential area. The area consisted of free standing houses with well tended lawns and gardens.

Obviously, the shops had once served this local community until the supermarkets put them out of business. We were interested in the shop on the corner which had both a “for sale” sign and a sign saying, “Quilting Material and Supplies”.

We locked the car and walked towards the front door and shop window. There was a light on inside, so we pressed against the glass to see inside.

The door opened and an elderly man with white hair, glasses, and a white mustache and goatee beard, stood there looking like a concerned Colonel Sanders. “I’m sorry but we’re closed.”

We turned towards him, and Andre explained. “Sorry, we didn’t mean to intrude. We’re interested in buying the shop.”

He broke into a friendly smile. “In that case why don’t you come in and have a look at the place.”

“Thank you. If it’s OK. Otherwise, we can just come back tomorrow.”

“You’re here now so come in. You can meet the wife.”

He introduced himself as Harold and his wife as Marjorie and we introduced ourselves.

Marjorie apologized. “Excuse the mess. We’re just finishing packing up.”

That didn’t worry us. The shop was bigger than it appeared from the front. It had been divided into a large work area in the front and a huge storeroom at the back. Perfect for me or so I thought.

They were a friendly and talkative couple. They also showed us the apartment upstairs which had a separate entrance, reached by outside stairs. It was a roomy two bedroom apartment, with a separate kitchen/dining room, and spacious living area. It was bigger than my townhouse. It was still furnished but didn’t look lived in.

They started telling us about their plans. “We decided it was time for both of us to retire. We’ve both done well. Harold was a successful engineer, and I made a success of this little business of mine.”

Harold put his arm warmly around Marjorie. “Now Dear, it wasn’t a little business, which is why we got so much for it when we sold.”

Marjorie smiled. “I built this up from a simple shop to a successful online business. I supply customers all over Australia and even some overseas. We sold to another company selling quilting supplies. They took our stock but what they really wanted was my business name, customer details, website and all that stuff on the website that showed customers my products and allowed them to place orders and pay online. They paid us well to get it all.”

I was impressed that these two retiring grandparents had embraced new technology and set up a very thriving online business. I also made a mental note to follow up with the new owners. Maybe they could become clients of mine.

While I was thinking Andre asked what they were planning to do now. They told us that they had a motor home and were going to be grey nomads. They were keeping their house in Avoca as a base while touring.

I asked. “So, you weren’t living upstairs?”

“No, we had it for family to use when they visited, like Christmas. We have a lot of children and grandchildren.”

Andre asked. “What’s the story with the shop next door? It looks empty.”

They looked at each other a bit concerned. Harold started telling us, “Do you remember that shooting a year ago? The one the police said was a drug related bikie gang assassination.”

Andre asked, “The one where the police thought it was mistaken identity and the gang killed the wrong guy?”

“Yes, that one. They shot the guy who was living upstairs with his wife and kid. I think the police were right. As soon as the police cleared up and left, the guy renting the shop turned up with a van, loaded it up, and disappeared.”

“So, it’s still empty?”

“Yes. The owners tried to rent both but with the history no one was interested. Same when he tried to sell it. Why, are you interested.”

I replied, “Not really, this one is perfect for what I want.”

Harold smiled and there was at twinkle in his eye. “Just don’t appear that keen with the agent and don’t be afraid to make an offer. We think she has set the price too high. It’s more than we wanted.”

I looked at Marjorie who was smiling and nodding in agreement.

They were still talkative, so we stayed for a bit longer before being able to say farewell and head back home.

 

As we walked into the townhouse Andre asked, “Can you please cook dinner? I want to check some things on the computer.”

“Sure. It’s only Chicken Katsu Curry. Remember we made the Japanese curry last night and I just have to crumb the chicken, start the rice and toss a salad. While the rice is cooking, I’ll fry the chicken and heat the curry. Easy. Would you like a drink while you’re on the computer?”

“Sure. Sounds good.”

“Chardonnay coming up.”

As we were eating, I asked, “Did you find what you wanted?”

“Yeah, I think so. What would you think about us buying both shops and apartments?”

I stopped eating and looked at him. This was totally left field and much more than we’d ever discussed. “Why? And can we afford it?”

“I was just checking our joint financial position and yes, by selling some assets and with a small mortgage we can afford it. Even more so if we can get the one you want for less than the listed price and assuming the other one is the same price, or hopefully, less.”

“I’m pleasantly surprised but, there’s still the ‘why’?”

“That’s harder and I’ll need all your support. When I saw both shops, I had this thought about starting my own business. Like you have. I’m qualified and registered so I can work as an accountant or auditor or financial adviser or tax agent. All those areas of finance services.”

“I know you're qualified and if that’s what you want to do, of course you have my support. I just thought you were intent on climbing the corporate ladder and become CFO of some large company.”

“At one time that was my goal. But now I’m with you I’ve changed. Climbing the corporate ladder would mean having to change where we live, probably more than once and probably also change companies, all of that stuff. Also, I can see how happy and proud you are running your own business and I think I’d like that for me too. We could have both shops and have our businesses next to each other.”

I stood up and walked around the table and hugged Andre. “You definitely have my total support. I so love you. We can make this work.”

“In that case we need to try to find the owner of the other shop.”

“Ah, online searches are something where I’m the expert. Andre, there’s a bottle of champagne in the fridge that’s been there since we went to the Hunter Valley. How about you open it, and we celebrate you deciding to start your own successful business.”

“I’ll get the champagne and glasses. You start searching. We’re on a mission.”

 

 

Saturday morning, we were as organized as if we were going to work. I suppose, in a sense we were. We were going shopping as such, but going to buy a shop. We were the only customers when we entered the Real Estate Agent’s office. The office had a reception area and three desks, each inside an office cubical which offered some privacy. It looked like three agents worked there. We looked around and noticed a young, definitely eye candy quality guy sitting at a desk in the cubical furthest from the door. We homed in on him, ignoring the “Can I help you?” from the power dressed woman in the first cubical. He stood and smiled warmly at us while watching his power dressed co-worker. Ms Power Dresser wasn’t the boss because she could be seen sitting and watching from a glassed walled office at the back.

He stopped watching Ms Power Dresser and looked directly at us. “Hi, I’m Noah, how can I help you?”

I started. “Hi Noah. I’m Chris and this is Andre and we’d interested in a shop and apartment that you’ve just listed.”

He looked at his monitor. “Just hang on a minute. We don’t have many of those. Ah. Is this the one.” He turned the screen towards us.

“Yes. Can we go and have a look?”

He turned the screen back and typed. I watched the boss woman in the glass office. She smiled and typed. Noah smiled. “Yes, we can go now. I’ll just get the key and we can go in my car. It’s just out the back.”

I replied, “Sorry but our car is in a one hour parking zone. I’d be more comfortable just following you.”

He agreed. Of course he did, but he looked a little disappointed. We followed him to the shop. On the way we figured he was the new guy in the agency.

When he opened the door he apologized, saying the owners were still moving out and they still had more stuff to move out. I was more impressed with how much they had moved out since we saw them last night.

Noah showed us through the shop and with the help of a crib sheet answered our questions. He apologized for using the crib sheet by explaining it had only been listed the day before and he was just coming up to speed on it.

I touched his shoulder which, interestingly, seemed to relax him. “Noah, just show us through the shop and the apartment and let’s talk about it.” We didn't let him know we had already seen through the shop and apartment.

“Well, as you can see the shop is really an open space with a non-structural wall dividing it into two. It has ducted air conditioning, and you can easily divide this up however you want. I haven’t seen upstairs myself, but I have a few suggestions from Belinda.”

Andre put his hand on Noah’s shoulder. “Is Belinda the power dresser at the front of the office?” There was a thoughtful pause. “Yes. I’ve only been doing this for a week and hadn’t seen this property. She suggested her notes would be useful.”

“Don’t worry too much about her. Just tell us what you think.”

Upstairs and freed from Belinda’s notes he had some excellent suggestions about how upstairs could be used.

After the walk through inspection, we gathered at the front door.

I looked at the empty street and jokingly commented. “Looks like no one else is rushing to look at this property.”

Noah smiled, “These places are hard to sell. Who wants a standalone suburban shop in the era of shopping malls?”

“We’re interested in making an offer for both the shop and the apartment. Just make sure it gets to the owners.”

He looked confused for a moment and then understood. He grinned.

We made our initial offer, expecting it to be rejected and then we would move to negotiation.

As we left the shop, Noah said he would make sure the offer was passed on to the owners, but he wasn’t sure they would accept.

 

We were finishing lunch and having a coffee when my phone rang. It was Noah. He sounded surprised as he told me that our offer had been accepted and asked if we could call in to sign some paperwork and start the purchase. We said we’d head in straight away.

      

When we entered the Agent’s office we were greeted warmly by a smiling Noah. Even boss lady was smiling through her glass wall. Belinda was absent. I assumed showing someone through a property.

Noah stood and still smiling shook our hands and asked us to sit at the desk in his cubical. He had been busy and had the initial paperwork ready for our signatures.

He started by saying, “As you know I told the sellers about your offer, and they immediately accepted. Belinda said they wouldn’t and I think she was a bit annoyed.” We shared a glance remembering what Harold and Marjorie had told us. Noah continued, “Anyway, now we have to get things moving. If you give me the name of your solicitor, I can have the papers with them on Monday and we can move to exchange of contracts. Now if you can just check and sign these.”

We carefully read all the paperwork and as it was a joint purchase, both of us signed. We gave Noah the name of our solicitor.

Noah went to stand for the obligatory thank you and assurance that everything would progress smoothly.

Before he could Andre stopped him and handed over a page from our printer. “Noah, on here are the name and contact details of the owner of the attached shop and apartment. We understand he’s been trying to lease or sell it ever since his tenant was shot by a bikie gang a year ago. We’re interesting in buying if he’s not asking too much.”

Noah smiled, glanced at the paper and said, “Thanks, I know the history of that place. Leave it to me. I’ll let you know.”

We received very warm handshakes as we said goodbye.

 

Back home we were feeling high. We were buying our first property together.

Andre asked, “Is it too early for champagne?”

“No. But I think we should let the others know to join us.”

“Deal. I’ll call Beau and Skye while you call Michael and Jamie.”

It wasn’t long before all six (well six and William) of us were together at home.

Andre offered celebrating. “Who’s for champagne?”

Michael suggested, “What if we all go and look at this shop and then celebrate.” There was no disagreement. I called Noah and he agreed to meet us there with the keys.

Including Noah’s, four cars arrived outside the shop. I did the introductions for Noah and Skye who had not met everyone. Like Beau had, Skye quickly recognized Jamie as Andre’s school friend, hugged him and commented about how close Jamie and Andre had been at school. She gave Michael a warm hug.

Everyone was keen to explore the shop and the upstairs apartment. Noah opened the front door and showed everyone through the shop and then the apartment. They were all impressed.

Noah pulled us to one side. “I haven’t been able to speak to the owner of the adjoining shop, but I’ve left a message for him. I’ll let you know when he calls back.”

“Noah, thanks for following up on the other property and thanks for opening this place again so our family and friends can see what we want to buy.”

“It’s been my pleasure meeting you, your family and friends and helping you buy the place you want.”

The viewing over, Noah locked up and chatted to Beau and Skye for a while. Then all of us except Noah headed back to our place which, after all, was where the champagne was.

Beau pointed out that it was late afternoon and we needed to think about food as well as alcohol. Skye agreed enthusiastically, partly because she was still breast feeding and could not drink alcohol.

It was easy for everyone to agree to ordering in pizza and Mexican from local restaurants and hoping they would arrive close to the same time.

We all drank a celebratory champagne (well apart from Skye who settled for Lemon, Lime, and Bitters) and socialized while waiting for the food to arrive. Skye took an immediate liking to Michael. In fact, it was mutual, and they chatted easily with each other especially when it came to William and his progress. If it wasn’t that they were both married and one was a straight woman and the other a gay man, you’d think there could be a chance they might have dated. Well, obviously an extremely outside chance! But there was a friendly mutual attraction between them.

It was all innocent enough but still enough for Beau to put a protective arm around Skye and for Jamie to put a possessive arm around Michael. Before this could develop into a Mexican standoff the food arrived.

Andre and I spread the containers of food out on the table, and we all sat around and helped ourselves. William also needed feeding and Skye felt comfortable breast feeding him without leaving the table. Beau noticed, glanced around the table and saw that nobody cared. He helped himself to another slice of Pizza Supreme. I was pleased to see that breast feeding was no longer an issue for him!

Everyone relaxed over the meal and the conversation flowed freely around the table. While we had been eating and talking Andre had moved an apple pie from the freezer to the oven.

We were all enjoying the heated pie with whipped cream and ice cream when Michael reminded us that he was going to Melbourne on Monday for Mamma’s operation.

I looked at Beau and Skye who were confused, and quickly explained to them who Mamma was and why Michael was going to Melbourne. Their expressions were ones of concern for Mamma and admiration for Michael.

The day had been a success. We had decided on a shop with an attached apartment and were in the process of buying them. We had agreed that Andre would start his own business and we were attempting to buy the adjoining shop and apartment. Just as important, Skye had been drawn into our circle of close friends that included Michael and Jamie.

Copyright © 2023 Paladin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 11
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Paladin

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, Ivor Slipper said:

Fast movers indeed! Evidently buying property can be easy. 🙂

It can be when you have the assets and stumble across property that is not in demand.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Paladin

Posted (edited)

Yes @drsawzall and @chris191070, the guys are moving towards a new phase of their relationship with lots of changes. Will it all be smooth sailing?

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Quote

It was all innocent enough but still enough for Beau to put a protective arm around Skye and for Jamie to put a possessive arm around Michael. Before this could develop into a Mexican standoff the food arrived.

Hahahahaha, they are such brats!!! It has taken some time, but I'm really starting to enjoy their small immatureness! 😂

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
On 3/12/2024 at 7:21 AM, Summerabbacat said:

Living next door to a baby is not a good idea unless you are prepared for disrupted sleep and parents who expect you to make no noise while the baby is trying to sleep, but don't care if the baby screams at 4.00am and keeps you and all the surrounding neighbours awake

First, another great chapter @Paladin I am really enjoying this story.

As to noise from neighbours music or gaming, parties, babies, cars in heat etc? ANY type of building can have "sound absorption" and/or "sound attenuation" materials added or built in at little extra cost during initial build or renovation. Doubling up on wall materials (Gyprock or Drywall) not only deaden sounds but increase fire resistance. For existing building, adding 'SoundMat' on walls or floors works.

The most common way sound spreads is if you share common HVAC ductwork, but 'sound baffles' are low-cost inserts or add-ons. Or buy earplugs (does your partner snore like a train?). 👂 Zzzz

 

Edited by Anton_Cloche
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..