Jump to content
    Paladin
  • Author
  • 3,770 Words
  • 393 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andre and Chris - 19. Chapter 19

Andre looked at the dining table. “What’s this parcel?”

“Oh that. It arrived this afternoon. Judging by the sender, it’s electronic or games stuff for review.”

“Why haven’t you opened it?”

“Because it’s not addressed to me. It’s addressed to the awesome foursome. Each of them.”

We both started laughing. “Come on let’s have dinner.”

 

The next two weeks were busy and seemed to pass quickly.

The first big thing was Beau and Skye finalizing the purchase of their house and taking possession. Obviously, they were excited and wanted to move in as quickly as possible which meant the following weekend. Beau started organizing some friends to help with the move. Of course, Andre wanted to help his brother and assured Beau that we would both assist with the move, so I knew what I’d be doing next Saturday and possibly Sunday.

Tyron called in as usual and immediately saw the parcel.

“What’s this?” He picked it up. “Cool it’s addressed to us.”

“Are you going to open it?”

“Nah. That is, not now but later when the four of us are on a video call.”

“Can I join the video call?”

“I’ll ask the others and let you know.”

I burst out laughing. “What have I created?”

Tyron also started laughing. “I’ve told you before. The awesome foursome.”

We continued to laugh and when we stopped, I said, “OK just let me know what the awesome foursome are doing and tell me how I can help.”

“Uncle Chris, you have already helped much more that you think. I’ll keep you informed.”

“Tyron, I trust that you will.” We fist bumped.

This was Andre’s last week at his work so there were two farewell functions organized for him. The first was a “formal” one in the office during office hours. The second was a more informal function at a club. I was invited to both. We both liked that.

Andre was embarrassed by the attention and the words of praise he received from his bosses and his colleagues. From the speeches and other comments, it was obvious that Andre was highly regarded at work for his ability, his management skills and his interpersonal relationships. To me this was all obvious and at the same time I loved how modest he was about it.

The function at the club was a party with lots of fun. There were no speeches. There was food and drinks. We spent the whole time surrounded by his work colleagues thanking him for the help he had given them, wishing him all the best for the future and recounting funny, and at times embarrassing, stories about Andre at work. Andre enjoyed the stories as much as the people telling them. I think the alcohol may have made the stories seem even funnier.

Back home we fell into bed still giggling about how much we had enjoyed the party. It was my turn to show him how much he was loved.

 

Unexpectedly on Thursday we received a message that we had been anticipating. A social worker from the Department of Community and Justice called to say he wanted to do a home visit to finalize our application to be foster parents. Technically Andre should still be at work for the rest of the week but he had been told he was only to go in if he was cleaning out his office. As a result we could easily organize a meeting.

On Friday, at the agreed time the handsome Ronald knocked on our door and we invited him in.

“Hi, I’m Ronald McDougal and I’m here about your application to be foster parents.”

We welcomed him and introduced ourselves. We agreed to use first names.

“First, I want to say it’s always a pleasure to receive an application to be foster parents from a professional couple such as you. I did notice that we have a particular child who looks suitable for you. I need to check that your house is suitable for fostering a young boy.”

I responded, “Ronald, this is where we live now and at the moment we don’t have a room for Oll, I mean a foster boy, but we are in the process of moving. I think we should show you where we are moving to and the interim arrangements.”

He looked surprised. “This is very unusual. You’re telling me you don’t have a room for a foster child but you’re moving to where you will have one. Yes, you should show me where you are moving to, and I’ll need to know when you’re moving.”

The three of us drove to the shops and we explained how I would be moving my home based business to the shop as soon as the renovations were completed. We then took him upstairs to the furnished apartment. Andre explained that we could move here if I was still working from the townhouse. I then told him about our plans to incorporate both apartments into one large apartment. He made some notes.

Back in the townhouse Ronald walked through and looked in every room, ending up in my workroom. “This is a very impressive setup. You are . .” he flicked his notes, “an IT specialist.”

“I try to be.” I responded.

I felt Ronald scrutinizing me. “You have a YouTube channel, don’t you?” I didn’t think Ronald was interested in technology, so I was surprised he knew about the channel. “You’ve got those amazing young guys presenting. My kids love it. It’s interesting stuff.”

All I could do was agree.

He then turned to Andre. “Chris has just told me about changes in his work. Are there any changes with yours?”

“Well yes, I’ll be starting to run by own business in the shop next door to Chris.”

He was already taking notes. “Really. What sort of business?”

“Andre smiled, “A lot of what I’ve already been doing. Financial advice, accounting, tax agent.”

There was a pause. “Have you got room for another client? My wife and I have inherited some property and investments, and we don’t understand the tax implications.”

I tapped Andre on his shoulder. “You need some business cards.”

Andre chuckled. “I do have some. It’s just that I didn’t think I’d need them so soon. Ronald I’ll get you my card.”

“Thanks but before you do I want to tell you that you have totally passed the house inspection and part of that was that you have been completely open and honest with me. This townhouse without an actual second bedroom would not have passed the inspection, but you explained what you are going to do. I appreciated you doing that. We need to set a time for a meeting next week.”

“What’s that about?”

“We need to observe how you are with Oliver. I’ll be here with another social worker to see if the three of you are compatible.” He looked at his notes. “Would next Tuesday be OK.”

Andre and I grinned knowingly at each other. “Yes next Tuesday will be fine.”

“Great. It’s been a pleasure meeting you. I look forward to next Tuesday.”

Andre found one of his business cards and handed it to Ronald. “We are looking forward to meeting you again on Tuesday.” We all shook hands.

After he left Andre and I hugged each other delighted that we were on the home straight to fostering Ollie.

 

Friday afternoon Beau walked into the townhouse.

Andre greeted him with a wicked smile, “This is unexpected. Would you like a wine or a shower with your brother.”

Beau grinned but ignored the taunt and wrapped his arms around Andre. “A wine this time will be enough. I’ve brought over the plans for the shops. I need to know about any changes you want and we need to know where you want your electrics.”

We looked at the plans while Beau went through and explained them. Andre and I said they were what we wanted.

“Cool, because we’ve ordered all the frames. We could make changes when we install them but it’s easier and faster if we don’t have to make changes. I’ll get Jenny to talk to you about the electrics on Monday. You remember her. She was at the party with her girlfriend.”

I smiled, “Yeah, we did notice her. We were a bit surprised that Lachlan has employed a woman.”

“It’s a no brainer really. She’s so bloody good at what she does. We want to keep her.” He turned to Andre, “Remember that business boss man.”

“Noted, works boss man.” They fist bumped.

“Are you two still OK with helping Skye and me move tomorrow?”

“Yep, we’ll be there.”

“Thanks, I’ve got a couple of other guys and dad helping so it shouldn’t take long.”

 

Saturday morning we went to join Beau and Skye at their apartment. Lachlan had the work truck and there were a couple more tradie Utes and a trailer. Along with Beau’s mates there seemed to be more than enough to easily move their furniture and other possessions.

Inside the apartment Carol and Helen were fussing over William. Beau introduced Kyle and his wife Chloe. We remembered Kyle from the buck’s party. It was revealed that Kyle was a tiler who subcontracted to Lachlan. Beau and Kyle started carrying boxes out to the trailer.

Andre looked around the apartment. “Skye as far as I can see you have just about everything packed ready to be taken to the house. I think it would be better for you and Chloe to be at the house directing where everything goes rather than staying here. Chris and I can pack up what’s left.”

“Andre’s right Skye. We should be there when everything is being unloaded otherwise the men will just dump everything wherever they feel like.”

Carol and Helen decided that William needed to be at the house as well so the four of them with William left for the house. Andre and I looked around and started packing the few things that still needed to be put into boxes for transportation.

As the last chairs and boxes were carried out Andre and I checked out the apartment to make sure nothing had been left behind. We locked up and headed over to their new home.

 

We arrive to a hive of activity as the last of the furniture and boxes were taken inside. Skye and Beau were moving from a modest two bedroom unit to a large four bedroom house with a double garage, so they still had some empty rooms and other underutilized spaces after everything had been unloaded and placed in appropriate rooms. Skye and Beau didn’t care because they were in their new home. The whole move had taken just over three hours and all that was left was some repositioning of the furniture and setting up William’s room to his grandmothers’ specifications.

We parked and walked up to the house and stopped to say “hi” to Beau and a man and his son who I guessed was about Ollie’s age. Beau introduced us to Logan and explained that we were all neighbours. Logan owned the house between the shops and Beau’s new house.

Logan looked down at his son and ruffled his hair. “Isn’t it exciting Riley that we’re getting two lots of new neighbours. Riley looked at us and said, “Yeah, whatever” and looking unhappy walked away.

I asked Logan, “What’s the problem with Riley?”

Logan looked around at Riley and back to me. “Riley was best mates with the kid who lived above the closest shop. They were together at school, at sport and at home. Then. . . . .Do you know what happened?” I nodded that we did know, and he continued, “after Ollie and his mother moved away, they kept in touch with social media but then suddenly Ollie stopped contacting him and his social media disappeared. Riley has always hoped that Ollie and his mother and new dad would come back and live here. A few weeks ago he got all excited because he thought he saw Ollie going into the apartment with some other people and that gave him hope. But you’re obviously not Ollie’s mum and new dad so he knows that Ollie’s not moving back there.”

What could we say? I thought about how Michael felt when I dropped out of contact. I got an idea. “Logan, do you mind if I go and have a chat with Riley?” Andre looked at me suspiciously as Logan said, “Sure OK.”

I walked up to Riley and sat next to him on the low brick fence. “Your dad told me that you’re missing your friend Ollie who moved away and has now dropped off social media.”

“Yeah, we were best mates and I’d like to know he’s OK and that we can meet up again. I thought he might be moving back here and we’d be mates again. But he’s not.”

“Riley, it can be very upsetting when someone you like just drops out of contact and social media. You can feel it could be something you did or even that he doesn’t like you anymore.”

Riley nodded.

“Well let me tell you that basically it can be something that has nothing to do with how you feel about each other. Believe me I’ve experienced it.”

He grudgingly nodded again.

“Riley, as it happens, I’m a bit of a wizard in tracking people on internet. Now, if you give me the last contact details you have for Ollie and your social media profiles and mobile number, I reckon I can get you two in touch again. I’m not making a guarantee, but I reckon I can do it. Would you like us to give it a go?”

He brightened up. “Sure. That would be awesome. Thanks.”

I took hold of his hand and walked back to the others. Riley couldn’t contain himself. “We’re going to track Ollie down on internet. Mr . .” he paused and without thinking, I supplied, “Why don’t you just call me Uncle Chris like the others.”

“You mean like the guys on that YouTube channel. . . . Are you their Uncle Chris?”

I looked at Andre and Beau for help, but they were enjoying this too much to offer any form of salvation.

“Yeah, you got me. I’m that Uncle Chris.”

“Wow, super cool. Can I meet them when you move here?”

“Sure, we can arrange that.”

“No way! Wait until I tell the siblings.” He then ran into their house.

Logan shook his head. “I didn’t understand all of that, but you certainly made him a happy little guy. Do you really think you can put him in contact with Ollie again?”

Andre supplied the answer. “We can guarantee it but don’t tell him. Let it be a surprise.”

Lachlan walked up to us and put his hand out to Logan. “I’m Lachlan and father to those two neighbours of yours,” Indicating Beau and Andre, “Looks like we’ve surrounded you. Anyway, the BBQ’s going out the back for the workers and neighbours. There’s plenty of food and drink so why don’t you bring your family over and join the fun.”

“Lachlan, I’m Logan and I’m stoked that we’re getting you people as neighbours. I’ll round everyone up and join you out the back.”

 

Monday morning we met Jenny at the shops. We had a copy of the plans and explained what we were doing, and Jenny made suggestions about the placement of lights and power points. She was treating it all as routine until I mentioned the servers and the need for separate air conditioning.

“Where are the servers now?”

“At our place.”

“Are they on a separate circuit?”

“Yes I had to have one installed.”

“I’ll keep that in mind when I check the meter boxes. Do you still want separate boxes for each shop or do you want a combined one?”

Andre replied, “Separate. We need to maintain accounts for two separate businesses.”

“Understood. I’d like to have a look at the server setup at your place.” She closed the laptop she’d been using to make notes. “Seeing you’ll be one of my bosses I suppose I’d better do a really good job.”

I detected a smile and responded before Andre. “Maybe it’s us who need to be nice to you. Beau told us you do a brilliant job, and he doesn’t want to lose you.”

“Ha, I’m not going anywhere. A dyke working in a LGBTQIA+ friendly construction firm that’s going to be run by a gay guy and a very gay friendly straight guy and has awesome parties. Where else am I going to find that.” We all cracked up laughing.

 

Tuesday started with Skye delivering William along with the usual paraphernalia including baby food. He was growing quickly and required more attention. He was so adorable the attention came almost automatically.

At 10am Andre and I had just finished giving William lots of attention, including a feed and had encouraged him to go to sleep, when the doorbell sounded. Once the door was opened, we were greeted by a happy Ollie who greeted us as Uncle Chris and Uncle Andre and rushed up for hugs from both of us. We stood looking at a very surprised Ronald and a happily smiling Elizabeth.

“Elizabeth. So nice to see you again. We weren’t expecting you to be with Ollie today.”

“I couldn’t miss the opportunity to see you two with Ollie again.”

No one noticed that Ollie had wandered off through the house. Ronald was still confused. “This isn’t the first time you’ve met Oliver?”

Elizabeth saved us. “No. These are the people who found Oliver and brought him to us. Even then Oliver wanted to live with them.”

“I still want to live with Uncle Andre and Uncle Chris.” Oliver called from the hall followed by, “You’ve got a baby in your bedroom. Are you fostering a baby as well?”

Ronald quickly consulted his notes and looked even more confused. Andre clarified, “He’s my nephew, William. Chris, well actually, now we both look after him one day a week.”

Ollie smiled at me. “Uncle Chris, have you got any snacks? I’m starving.”

I smiled back at him. “Sure. I’ve got drinks and snacks for you and the adults as well.” I turned to Ronald and Elizabeth, “Would you like a coffee?”

They both said yes, and I invited everyone to sit down while Andre went off to make the coffee. I brought out a selection of slices and biscuits including, of course, Tim Tams.

Ollie was eyeing off the snacks when I suggested he tell Andre what he’d like to drink. He disappeared into the kitchen and reappeared with a popper of juice. Elizabeth was watching all this and smiling.

Andre returned with the coffee and we settled in to drinking and eating. Ronald who had assumed management of the meeting gave us some general information about being foster parents and the responsibilities. He answered some questions we had and then asked if we had any questions for Oliver.

I responded, “Yes I do, Ollie do you remember a friend called Riley?”

“Sure, he was my best friend at school. Is he still living in the same house?”

“Sure is. He’s unhappy he lost contact with you.”

“Yeah, the cops shut down my social media and deleted all my contacts. I don’t have his contacts now.”

Elizabeth gently said, “Oliver, you do understand that we did that for your protection.”

He put his head down. “Yes I know, but I miss my friends.”

I added, “Ollie you know we all have to be careful until after the trial but, maybe Elizabeth could help you make contact. I’ll give her Riley's mobile number and social media contacts.”

Elizabeth nodded, “I’ll be happy to help Oliver with that.”

“Ollie when you make contact you have to decide if you are going to tell him that you are moving back to your old apartment or if you want to make it a surprise.”

I watched as a smile spread across his face. “I think I’ll keep that as a surprise.”

Ronald then asked, “Oliver, do you have questions for Chris and Andre?”

“Yes,” he looked towards my workroom. “Uncle Chris and Uncle Andre when will you have a room ready for me?”

Andre answered, “Ollie we have a bedroom ready for you whenever we’re allowed to have you with us. Until the shops are set up we’ll all live in the furnished apartment over the shops and then when all Chris’ stuff has been moved to his shop, we’ll move back here so the two apartments can be combined. And, before you ask. Your room will still be your room. Sorry it’s all messy but I’m sure we’ll cope.”

Ollie’s face lit up and he gave us a hug. “It’s literally very messy but I know you’re doing it so I can be with you soon. Thank you.”

Donald made some notes. “Any more questions?”

Ollie looked at the floor and shuffled his foot. “Uncle Andre and Uncle Chris when I live with you will I have to turn gay?”

I heard the intake of breath from Ronald and Elizabeth. I looked at Andre. His smile indicated he was leaving this to me. I crouched down so I was at eye level with Ollie and gently lifted his chin so he was looking at me.

“Ollie, it doesn’t work that way. People aren’t ‘turned’ or have ‘to turn’. People are straight, gay, bi, trans or something else because that is what they are. I think you are already starting to realize which of those you are. As you grow older you’ll know deep inside, who you are sexually and that understanding will grow stronger with you. Andre and I love you for who you are and will continue to love you for who you are. We want you to grow up being yourself, being true to yourself and able to be true to others.”

I paused and before I could continue Ollie flung his arms around my neck and hugged me. “That’s what the three guys said to me, and they told me that both of you love me.”

I hugged him back. “Are we good now.”

“Sure, thanks.” He let go of me and hugged Andre.

Ronald watched and smiled, “Well I don’t believe there’s any doubt that you three are an ideal match.”

  

Copyright © 2023 Paladin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Thanks @VBlew as I said above, Ollie moves in next chapter and it already looks like the three families are going to be very neighbourly.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Ditto on all of the above plus kudos on Chris’ discussion with Riley and answering Ollie’s question about ‘turning gay.’

  • Love 5
Link to comment

One more chapter and I'll be caught up and I can go to bed!

"Turning gay..." I love Chris' answer.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
Summerabbacat

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Al Norris said:

One more chapter and I'll be caught up and I can go to bed!

"Turning gay..." I love Chris' answer.

OMG @Al Norris. You have been binge-reading. Most bingeing of anything is not good for your health, but "dining" on this sumptuous Aussie fare prepared by and in the "kitchen" of @Paladin is not only good for your health, but good for your soul too. The man loves cats so all is right with the world for now.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..