Jump to content
    Paladin
  • Author
  • 3,934 Words
  • 674 Views
  • 34 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andre and Chris - 20. Chapter 20

I hugged him back. “Are we good now.”

“Sure, thanks.” He let go of me and hugged Andre.

Ronald watched and smiled, “Well I don’t believe there’s any doubt that you three are an ideal match.”

 

The case was listed for hearing in court on Thursday afternoon. Because he had decided to plead “guilty” there wasn’t a trial with a jury. The judge heard the charges, read the victim statements and listened to argument from the defense barrister. As expected, the judge took into account the guilty plea but weighed it against the history of offending. In the end he was to serve thirteen years in prison with eleven years non-parole.

Andre and I first heard about this from David who came directly from the courthouse to tell us. During this ordeal we had become friends with David and when asked he decided that he was off duty enough for the three of us to share a glass of scotch and acknowledge some closure. It wasn’t a cause for celebration, just an acknowledgement that some justice had been achieved.

Next were Skye and Beau. Skye heard about it at work and immediately contacted Beau. They both left work as quickly as they could to be with Andre. David was still there so we introduced him to Skye and Beau. While we were doing that Michael and Jamie burst into the townhouse necessitating another round of introductions.

David was clearly worried. He asked Andre “Do all these people know about the trial?”

“These are our closest friends. They know all about what happened to me and a bit of what happened to Ollie.”

David thought for a moment. “With all the experience I’ve had working in this area, I believe all of you can be trusted but I have to remind you that Oliver is a minor and for his own safety, his involvement in this case has to be kept secret. It cannot be disclosed, except to selected people such as his sexual assault therapist. That is why he is not named in the public court documents and also why the offender hasn’t been named. If his name was made public, you wouldn’t have to be Sherlock to realize Oliver was the recent child abuse victim. Andre, it’s also why you and the other victims of historic abuse were only referred to in the court documents by random initials. That was all to acknowledge your privacy and protect Oliver from being identified.”

Michael took Jamie’s hand and said, “We’re both in the medical profession so we understand what you’re saying. Neither of us will say anything.” Jamie nodded.

Skye spoke first to David, “We understand the need for privacy and we will not disclose what we know. But David we also know that Andre and Chris are looking forward to fostering Ollie and we are looking forward to having a nephew and cousin to William. We will do everything to protect Ollie.

Jamie beamed, “Brilliant! We would like a nephew who lives close enough to spoil.”

Skye said, “If you’re looking for nephews to spoil, I can offer William.”

Beau added protectively, “But only to spoil.”

Everyone laughed which broke the underlying tension. Everyone was pleased that they had some closure on the trauma involving Ollie and Andre. It still was a closure that brought a sense of relief rather than one of celebration.

Andre pushed David for information, “When do you think Ollie will be able to come and live with us?”

“Happily, I don’t have to think, because I know that it was agreed that you would foster Oliver as soon as possible after the sentencing. That means you officially become his foster parents on Monday.”

We were stunned. “So after all the wait, it’s really happening.” Andre and I happily embraced.

“Looks like we’ll have to use the weekend getting the apartment ready for us to live in. Good thing it’s furnished. All we’ll need to do is make sure there’s enough food for us and a teenager.”

Skye laughed, “Just like a man. What about sheets and towels and shampoo and your clothes and . .”

I stopped her. “OK, OK I get it. You’ve made your point. Looks like a busy weekend.”

“Along with some shopping.”

I knew Andre liked shopping but couldn’t see what he was suggesting. He read me and explained.

“There will be three of us. We’ll need more sheets and towels and stuff.”

Skye was again the voice of reason. “Don’t buy too much for Ollie. He’s old enough to want a say in what you get him.”

David laughed. “She’s not wrong and I know from experience. Oliver’s nearly thirteen so wait and take him with you when you’re buying for him. Anyway, I have to get back to my own family including a son who can’t wait for Oliver to be living with you.”

There was a round of farewells and as it ended David commented, “It’s been such a pleasure meeting all of you and I can see you will all be involved in supporting Oliver. He’s going to be very well looked after.”

Everyone agreed and David left. Skye reminded Beau that they needed to pick up William and after hugging everyone they left.

Jamie looked around. “It looks like it’s just us. What about we go and have something to eat?”

A quick discussion and we agreed to head for Yume Japanese Restaurant at Erina where we shared a large mixed sashimi before ordering our individual mains.

While we were eating Michael said to us, “While we are delighted to have another ‘nephew’ close by we think you are both just so brave deciding to take on raising a teenager like Ollie.”

Andre responded, “Michael you haven’t met Ollie yet. Wait until you do and then then see what you think.”

I added, “Ollie is an amazing young guy and I think you will love him as quickly as we have.”

 

On Friday I was busy visiting some of my clients and sorting out a few on-site problems. Unexpectedly Tyron joined me and helped in the afternoon. He reminded me that there was only another week before the end of the university semester. It also meant that Jackson would be visiting.

Meanwhile Ronald called Andre and confirmed that Oliver would be coming to live with us on Monday, if that was convenient. Of course is was. Any time was convenient for us to have Ollie come to live with us. A time was set for 10am.

The weekend was a rush as we filled the apartment with the essentials for all of us to be able to live there. Beau and Skye helped move things from the townhouse and suggested some things we should purchase.

Skye also spent time calming us down. Having a nearly thirteen year old boy living with us was about to become a reality. Were we really ready for this? How were we going to cope? Skye was there for us, being calm and reassuring.

“Stop worrying. All you guys have got to do is just be yourselves. Then you’ll be awesome foster parents for Ollie. Just calm down and be yourselves.”

Sunday night we slept fitfully as we were excited and wanted to be awake early ready to greet Ollie. This was, of course, silly because we knew that he was arriving at ten o’clock. As it turned out we drifted asleep and on Monday morning we were woken by a text message on both of our phones. We opened our phones and looked at the same message from Beau.

You need to get down here with the keys to the shops so we can unload the frames. They’ll be here is 30 minutes.

We scrambled out of bed, fell through a shower and ignoring coffee and breakfast drove over to the shops to be greeted by a smiling Beau and not a truck delivering frames in sight.

We all hugged. “That must be some sort of a record for you two. I thought it would take you longer to get here.”

“Where are the deliveries?”

“On the way. Skye’s ready to leave for work. I’m looking after William today so let’s head over to our house. I’ve picked up some blueberry muffins for breakfast."

Skye gave us hugs as she left for work. We were enjoying coffee and muffins when two of Beau’s work crew arrived. The frames had arrived.

“OK guys I’ll help you move everything into the shops. Grab yourselves a muffin. I bought plenty. Chris, can you look after William?”

Andre handed Beau the keys and I went to check on the sleeping William. It wasn’t long before Beau was back.

“We got everything into the shops. I’ve sent the guys off to another job but they’ll be back here tomorrow and the three of us will start getting those frames up. Insulating batts and Gyprock should be here on Wednesday. It could be ready for painting next week. Have you thought about floor covering?”

Andre responded for us. “No, we haven’t and we’ll get your advice later. Are you able to look after William? We have to be ready to become foster parents at 10 O’clock.”

“That’s happening today! Awesome. We’ll have to come and meet our new nephew.”

“Remember we’ll be living above the shops and neighbours, so you won’t have far to go.”

 

Just before ten Ronald, Elizabeth and Ollie arrived at the apartment above the shop. Ollie had a suitcase which contained all he owned. Elizabeth explained that it was mainly clothes and some personal possessions they had, with difficulty, collected from where Ollie had been living. Ollie’s mum had not been cooperative.

Ollie ran in and gave each of us a hug and immediately wanted to know about his room. We all walked down to what would be his room until we started re-designing the apartments.

“Cool. Can I get all my stuff out of the suitcase and put it where I want it.?”

“Sure. Put it where you want it. It’s your room. Do you need any help?”

“Thanks nah, I can do it myself. Oh I forgot. Uncle Chris, I left all the gaming stuff with grandma Mary so the other foster kids could use it. It that OK?”

I ruffled his hair. “Yeah, buddy that’s perfectly OK. You know you’re pretty special to be thinking about the other foster kids.”

“It’s not their fault they’ve got shitty parents. I just hope they’re as lucky as me when they get long term foster parents.”

“Ollie, why are you so sure you’re lucky to have us as foster parents?”

“Because when you were holding me to stop me running away. I was punching you to get you to let go and then something happened that told me you kept holding me not just to stop me running away but because you cared and wanted to help me.” He stopped and walked over to Andre. “Uncle Andre, after you ran out of that room at the cop shop, I was confused about if you cared about me. Grandma Mary let slip that Jeff had done things to you too and we couldn’t . . . collude is what I think she said. Something like that. I think that means make stuff up together.”

Andre knelt down on one knee in front of Ollie and spoke softly. “Ollie that’s close enough to the meaning and while he was pleading ‘not guilty’ I didn’t want his lawyers to have anything they could use against you. So, I cared about you from a distance. And Ollie please be careful talking about Jeff or using his name. We don’t want everyone knowing what happened to you.” Ollie leaned in and they hugged.

I gave them a minute and then suggested Ollie might like to do his unpacking. He smiled and headed for his room.

Ronald looked to see if Ollie had left for his room and then spoke to us. “While I think it is unlikely, I have to warn you that if this doesn’t work out for Oliver, we will look for another foster home for him.” We knew this and hoping that wouldn’t happen, nodded.

“I’m required to tell you that but I’ll also tell you that I wish more of my foster placements were as positive as this one. There’s also the payments. You will miss the first one but the second fortnightly one will include the back payment.”

I didn’t understand. “What payments are you talking about?”

“The stuff we sent you details the payments. It’s to help you pay for the cost of taking care of Ollie.”

“But we don’t need to be paid to look after Ollie.”

Andre stopped me. “But we can set up an investment account for him, so he’s got money when he stops being in foster care.” That I agreed to.

Ollie returned and Elizabeth and Roland were ready to leave. Roland shook our hands, including Ollie’s. “We have to go so we’ll say goodbye and wish you all the best and Olliver, we will be checking with you to make sure you are OK here.”

Ollie reassured him “I don’t think there will be any problems we can’t sort out, Mr McDougal.”

A smiling Elizabeth reassured Ollie that the checks weren’t just for problems and cheerfully added, “What are you three going to do for the rest of the day?”

Andre glanced at me and responded. “We thought we could start by enrolling Ollie in school.”

Ollie groaned, “Not fair. This is the last week of term. Can’t I wait until after the holidays?”

“The holidays are only two weeks long. Enrolling now will get you all set up with your classes and give you a chance to catch up with some school friends.”

The mention of school friends made Ollie happier which was picked up by Elizabeth. “Just think Oliver, you’ll be able to meet up with your friends again at school and then have the holidays to meet and hang out with them.”

Ollie was silent while he thought for a moment. “Yeah you’re right. And there won’t be much schoolwork in the last week of term. Yeah let’s get me enrolled and able to meet my friends again.”

 

The three of us were in the car driving to the High School when Andre turned to talk to Ollie in the back seat. “Ollie did you tell Riley that you were moving back to live next door to him?”

“No I thought I’d surprise him.”

“Well I’ve got an idea about how you can really surprise him. Want to hear it?”

“Sure.”

 

We were ushered into the Principal’s office. The Principal stood and introduced himself as Robert Styles and asked us to sit around a table in the office.

He spoke to us, “I see you’re Oliver’s foster parents and Oliver I see you are transferring to us from Kincumber High School so I assume you won’t know any students here.”

Ollie spoke up, “I do have friends here Mr Styles. I went to primary school in this area so some friends are at this school. Could you please let my best friend show me around to meet my teachers.”

Andre added, “Ollie’s best friend doesn’t know he’s moving back to the area and Ollie wants to surprise him.”

The Principal smiled broadly obviously enjoying this, “Sounds to be good fun. Yes, Ollie give me your friend’s name and I’ll send for him to take you around to your teachers. Now I’ll take you to Mr Preston, the Deputy for your Year group. He’ll organize your classes and timetable.

We walked down the corridor to Mr Preston’s office. There were introductions all round.

The principal said, “Mark I’ve sent for a boy to show Oliver around and introduce him to his teachers. He’ll be here in a moment.”

The Deputy printed out a copy of Ollie’s timetable and handed it to him. “These are your classes for this week. We can make any changes next term.”

Riley arrived and the Principal smiled. “Riley I have an important job for you. I want you to take this new student around the school to meet his teachers and help him settle into this school.”

Ollie turned around and smiled happily at Riley who reacted. “Ollie!” They fist bumped. “Are you really going to be with me at school again? Show me your timetable.” He reached for the timetable. “Shit! Sorry Sir. We’re in the same class. This year is going to be sooo awesome.”

“I’m also going to be living next door to you again.”

Riley looked around and saw me. “You kept your promise. Thanks. Come on Ollie, you have to meet everyone. Can we go now Sir?””

There were smiles all round as they started to leave.

“How are you getting home?” I asked.

“Bus. With Riley. I’ll use my bus pass from the last school until I get a new one.” They disappeared down the corridor.

The Principal watched them leave. “I think we’re going to enjoy having Ollie here as a student. I already know Riley. He’s a great student and has an excellent group of friends. I’ll leave you with Mark to complete the details.” We shook hands.

Mark went through the enrollment details and paperwork with us. He was friendly and helpful. I asked about a school uniform for Ollie.

“The uniform shop isn’t usually open but I saw one of the volunteers going in there just before you arrived. So if we’re lucky you can get Oliver, sorry Ollie, a school uniform. I’ll walk around with you.”

 

Back home with three new school uniforms we prepared for Ollie to return home from school. We could hear the power tools and hammering that told us that the shops were being remodeled.

Ollie and Riley raced breathless into the apartment. “I’ve meet so many of my friends again today. Can I go over to the park to play with them?”

“Sure, Would you like something to eat first?”

“Aww can we just take a packet of biscuits with us?”

Riley looked enthusiastic. I handed him a large packet of chocolate chip cookies. “Yeah, here take this. Go and join your friends.” Ollie took the packet, and they were gone.

We walked to a front window overlooking the park and watched. Ollie shared the biscuits and Riley tossed the empty packet in the garbage bin. Someone had a football and an impromptu game started.

I put my arm around Andre, “I think we’re seen enough. He’s certainly back home with his mates.”

Andre leaned softly against me, “He sure is back home with his mates. It’s so good watching him have fun, but we better get some food ready. He’s going to be hungry after this.”

Andre wasn’t wrong and when Ollie and Riley returned they were famished.

“Uncle Chris is it OK if Riley has dinner with us. His mom said it was OK if you agreed.”

I remembered my own adolescence and couldn’t help chuckling. How many times had I done this to my own parents. “Sure, you can. I’ve got pizza bases and a collection of do it yourself toppings.”

“Awesome” came from both of them.

While they washed their hands, we quickly had everything out for pizza making.

While Ollie and Riley were covering their pizza bases with their favourite toppings they talked. I listened when I heard, “You call him Uncle Chris. I do too. He told me I could, like the Awesome Foursome do.”

Ollie paused from trying to overload his pizza, “I s’pose that gives me two reasons to call him Uncle Chris. He’s my foster dad and I’m one of the Awesome Foursome.”

“Wow, you’re not bull shitting me, are you?”

“Cause not. I’m the mystery cameraman.”

“Wow, wait till the guys hear about this. Will I get to meet the others?”

“Don’t know.” He turned away from his pizza making, “Uncle Chris can Riley get to meet Tyron, Bradley and Jackson?”

“Well, they all have time off from school and Uni and Jackson is coming up for two weeks so I reckon he will get to meet them. However, guys, how about you finish making your pizzas so they can go in the oven and Andre and I can finish making ours.”

They were both smiling happily when they slid their pizzas into the oven. Ours weren’t far behind. After double servings of Chocolate mud cake and ice cream Ollie wanted to show Riley through the apartment and his room.

While they were doing that Riley’s dad, Logan, knocked on the door and we welcomed him in.

“I hope Riley hasn’t been too much trouble for you.”

“No, no trouble at all. We all had fun making our own pizzas and eating. Ollie’s showing Riley around the apartment, even though this arrangement is temporary.”

“Temporary? That’s right Beau told us that you plan to turn these two apartments into one big one.”

“That’s spot on. We’ll have to move out while that’s happening. Oh, here are the boys back again.”

Logan put his arm around Riley, “Come on Champ. We need to get you home. You’ve got school tomorrow.”

“Sure dad.” And then to Ollie, “Now I know your number, I’ll text you in the morning and we can catch the bus together.”

“Deal.”

“See ya.”

Logan and Riley descended the stairs. Ollie turned to us “Thanks for the cool phone you left in my room for me. Riley was surprised but I know it’s one you reviewed, ‘cause I watched the video.”

Andre said, “Well Chris offered it to me, but I thought it was more a phone for you.”

Ollie jumped up and flung his arms around Andre in a hug and then me. He stepped back and asked, “I like my room here but would I be able to sleep in my real bedroom next door?”

Andre and I looked at each other and I started, “Ollie, while you have a key to next door we can’t stop you, but there are other people with keys to that door and we’d worry about you being safe.”

Andre continued, “We thought we’d wait until all the renovations are complete before we change all the locks. Besides we’d like you to be in here with us so we know you’re safe.” He paused and then, “I’ve got an idea. What if we set up your room next door for you to be with your friends during the day and you spend the night in here.”

Ollie smiled, “That works.”

Before he could ask I added, “I’ll put another gaming console and screen in there tomorrow.”

Ollie beamed, “You’re the best uncles.”

I warned, “Don’t expect that you’ll get everything you want.”

“I won’t. Uncles, you two have already given me much more than I expected.”

“OK how about you shower and get ready for bed. Like Riley, you’ve got school tomorrow.”

“Sure. I’ll say goodnight after my shower.” He headed for the bathroom.

Andre asked, “Are we sure it’s a good idea to let him use next door with his friends?”

“Don’t worry. As well as the games console, I’ll install some cameras covering the door and the hall.”

Clean and with freshly brushed teeth, Ollie said goodnight. We hugged and watched him slide into bed. We turned out the light and closed the door.

It was the first night of us living together.

Copyright © 2023 Paladin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 19
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



7 hours ago, Lee Wilson said:

Not exactly a reunion, but a very happy one nonetheless. Ollie had friends at school, reconnected with his bestie, and slid right back into living in the area. So far, so good.

Now, we just need to hope ass-mom stays out of the picture.

Ollie's back living where he used to live and he is able to re-establish the friendships he had then. Yes his mum is still in the background.

7 hours ago, VBlew said:

The trial is over, and they get to move on with their lives. Ollie seems really happy to be back in his former home area and with his best friend again.

Yes the guilty plea did move things along faster and less traumatic than a full trial. Being back in his former home means he doesn't have to establish a whole new friendship group.

  • Love 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..