Jump to content

Stranger at the Grave

   (8 reviews)
Genres: General Fiction
Sub-genres: Drama, Prompt

A sad visit to a new grave; an unknown mourner. What does it mean?

My thanks to @AC Benus for his kind and patient help in getting me to write again.
Copyright © 2023 Parker Owens; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (16 members)

  • Action Packed 0
  • Addictive/Pacing 10
  • Characters 16
  • Chills 6
  • Cliffhanger 2
  • Compelling 12
  • Feel-Good 9
  • Humor 2
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 13
  • Unique 10
  • World Building 4

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 4,430 Words
    • 1,452 Views
    • 43 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Daddydavek

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

A story with a moral without being preachy. Life is not fair and thoughtless actions can make it less so. Serendipity brought together two mourners who managed to connect and they managed to provide some closure for each other.  Parker has crafted a thought provoking gem.

  • Love 12
Link to review
astone2292

   12 of 12 members found this review helpful 12 / 12 members

Normally, I'm able to write quip-laced and hype-fueled reviews, but not now. This story is one to truly sit with and enjoy. 

This was an artistically crafted piece by a brilliant author. Even as I type, I am still in awe. 

Take the time to sit down with this short tale. You won't regret it. 

Response from the author:

I can only say thank you many times over for your kind words. 

  • Love 12
Link to review
weinerdog

   11 of 11 members found this review helpful 11 / 11 members

 Anybody who's a fan of this author will not be surprised by all the 5 star reviews.I cannot add anything more that the previous 4 reviews before this one already said except to say if the circumstances lined up just so that could of been any of us. At least our protagonist learned and knew what to do next.

When you get a chance to read a @Parker Owens story one should take advantage of it

Response from the author:

You are most kind in your words and review. Thank you. I wish that thousands upon thousands more people could learn and change their hearts, as Robert did. We can hope. Thanks again. 

  • Love 11
Link to review
Cane23

   10 of 10 members found this review helpful 10 / 10 members

The message this wonderful short story is giving is that life is too short to spend it estranged from friends and family. We never know when someone's doomed day is, so, spend every day, every hour, every moment...sharing love and support with your dearest. And say it, say how you feel, say you love them because, if you think they already know - they don't! Don't be afraid to say, "I love you", don't be afraid to say, "I'm sorry", find some free time for your family, cherish your little traditions, family gatherings during holidays, phone calls, emails... Stay in touch. Don't let everyday life make you strangers. Memories stays in our hearts forever but regrets also. 

Thank you for this beautiful story @Parker Owens I am deeply touched. 

Response from the author:

Don’t let everyday life make you strangers. That is a perfect summation here for a world which offers us so much misdirection, distraction and separation. Thanks so much for your encouragement and review. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 9
Link to review
Mancunian

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

A sad, but beautifully written thought-provoking story. It brings together two strangers who hopefully, help each other to heal. There is a lesson to be learned in this story for those who care to see it. Read, enjoy and learn, I recommend it.

  • Love 10
Link to review
raven1

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

Ed and Robert have lost someone special in their lives.  From this simple premise, Parker Owens has crafted a beautiful story of love, grief and a new beginning.  Using his impressive skills as a poet and author, Parker Owens' ability to use words has created a wonderful moment in time for all of us to share.  It's hopeful message will leave you very happy that you chose to read this story.  My highest recommendation!

Response from the author:

Thank you for your goodness in reading and review of this story. If you find hope in its lines, then I have succeeded. Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Link to review
chris191070

   9 of 9 members found this review helpful 9 / 9 members

This is a a Simply Beautiful story that you can sit back and enjoy.

Not much more I can say about this masterpiece.

Grab yourself a cup of tea and enjoy this short story.

Response from the author:

You’re very generous with your thoughts. I’m grateful you took time to read this story, which might benefit from something a bit stronger than tea. 

  • Love 11
Link to review
Headstall

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

This story packs an emotional wallop. Superbly told, it is well worth the time to read it. You won't be disappointed. Grief is something we all must cope with, and carrying guilt is one of the most difficult things. That said, while this story has sadness, it is not sad... just real. 

  • Love 8
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..