Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 11,124 Words
  • 1,017 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 88. I'm Italian

March 31st of 2017 was a dark day for me. I lost someone so important to me. Yes, there are parts of fiction, but not about his heroic struggle. There were downs, but many ups. His story needs to be told. I rushed this chapter and I hope there aren't too many errors. You KNOW I hate those. Reread the chapters leading up to this, but know HOW important he was, and his struggle.

I think about you every day, Daniel. I love you, my husband.

We ended our visit with the family and returned home. Technically, neither of us had schedules to keep. I was volunteering for some causes, including the homeless. The poor and homeless had a terrible time, but there were groups that formed around the Holidays to make it a little better. People normally ignored the poor and homeless, but there was a general incentive to turn that focus on those less fortunate. Like Manhattan, there were the homeless gay youth that needed help. Only, there was just the church Tony and I went to that accepted gay people. Well, that wasn’t right. Pastor Terry would correct anyone that said that and said, “Whosoever will, may come.” Gay, lesbian, transgender, transexual…whatever. If they came, they were welcome. There were other churches that didn’t bar us from coming, but the Metropolitan Community Church welcomed everyone. During the month of December our church offered dinners two nights a week where members of the church brought dishes to share with the community. Tuesday and Friday nights. Pastor Terry thought one night should be an Italian night! We all knew that was aimed at Tony. There were other Italians in our church, but Tony was known as the Italian at our church.

“I think you should make the Delveccio Gravy!” Tony said smiling at me.

“Why me?” I asked. “You’re the Italian!”

Tony shook his head, “No, that’s no longer true! You married this Italian and you are Italian now, too.” He threw his hands out, “You married me three times!”

“Three times…” I repeated as my eyes widened.

“Yes, you did!” Tony interrupted. “You married me when you signed that Durable Power of Attorney, you married me in North Carolina by Reverend Pat and Pastor Terry, and then in Boston!” He held up three fingers. “That’s three times!”

I grinned, “That just proves I really wanted to marry you.” I said loud.

That’s when Sasha, David, and Alik came in. David and Sasha had gone somewhere and then picked up Alik from school.

“How does that mean I should make the Delveccio Gravy?” I asked louder.

“It’s a tradition!” Tony shouted. “Every person that marries into the Delveccio family has to learn to make our gravy! Using Nonna’s recipe! To show you ARE a Delveccio!”

“Fine,” I pointed at him. “Do I get you to make haggis to prove you are a McKenzie?”

Tony’s eyes widened, “I’ve never known any McKenzie to make haggis to serve at the dinners.”

Sasha, David, and Alik came closer hesitantly.

David smiled, “I don’t think any of the North Carolina McKenzies have even TRIED haggis.”

I raised my hand to David but didn’t look away from Tony, “No, no. Don’t help him!”

“I will if you can cook a gravy like Mama could,” Tony nodded. “And anything else the Scots make. However, you have to make the gravy like a Delveccio!”

I sighed and looked away and into the kitchen. “I have tonight and tomorrow to make it.” Turning back to Tony I added,” It took Mama, Louise, and Kathy all day to make it. Plus, the macaroni has to be made. The bread for the garlic bread.”

Tony nodded and even with his attempt to keep from laughing, he smiled and was dangerously close to chuckling, “And the salad dressing.”

I turned irritated, “Salad dressing!?”

“Of course,” Tony did chuckle then. “For the salad! Italian naturally. And it has to be made from scratch.”

I had my fists on my hips as I glared at Tony, “I’ve never known you to make the macaroni or garlic bread from scratch! Nor have I ever seen you make the Italian Dressing…the regular oil and vinegar kind or the creamy kind! You don’t even make the dough for the pizzas!”

“Oh, forgive me for making my life easier!” Tony shouted smiling. “Instant gratification is demanded by everyone now! Pizza dough has to rise a day and pounded down before rolling it out and baking it on the pizza stone!”

Alik dropped his bookbag and leaned toward his fathers, “Their loving each other, right?”

David nodded, “Yes, very much.” He grinned.

Tony took my shoulders and held me in place, “I know there isn’t a lot of time, so I’ll give you a break. The market I get the pizza dough from also makes macaroni. It’s fresh. They have the bread for the garlic bread. You can buy that, too. The herbs and spices can be bought fresh there as well. Everything needed to make the Delveccio Gravy. You know the three meats, ground beef, veal…”

I interrupted, “Yes, I know, I know.”

He pushed me slightly back and said triumphantly, “You did great with Nonna’s Lasagna! I know you are an Italian and a Delveccio! Tomorrow night you’ll show Charleston you are! You’ll be great! Remember the San Marzano tomatoes! That market has those.”

I nodded again, “Yes, yes…” I waved him down, “I know!” I thought about what I needed to do, “I’ll be starting at sunup! I’ll show them!” Looking at Tony I added, “I’ll call Kathy. She has Mama’s recipes…”

Tony’s large grin was there with the shake of his head. He went to a cabinet in the kitchen. He pulled the little metal box down and handed it to me. I recognized Mama’s recipe box with all her recipes on those index cards. “I have many in my memory, but not all. I was going to give it to whomever Nick marries.” He grudged a shaking nod, “If he marries…” he grumbled.

I smiled looking Tony in the eyes, “Make up your mind. One minute you’re telling us to not rush him and now you’re complaining he hasn’t found a wife! You can’t have both.”

Tony’s smile faded a little, “Recent events have made me rethink things.” He glanced in Alik’s direction and then back, “I want my son happy, in love, and maybe having given me a grandchild.” He shrugged.

I hugged him and said in his ear so only he would hear, “We’ll do all we can to make sure you are here.” I then kissed him gently. “I love you.”

Tony smiled, “I know. I love you.”

“I know,” I replied.

“Who’s cooking dinner?” David asked.

“Anything but Italian!” Sasha stated firmly. “Twice to Italian da Roma and I’m hoping we can have the Macaroni and Gravy tomorrow night. I don’t have anything ready…”

“Chinese!” David suggested suddenly raising the “I’ve got a point" finger.

Tony nodded reluctantly, “Okay, but none of those little white boxes, please. No deliveries.”

“The Red Bowl?” Sasha suggested. “We’ve been there three times.” He waved at David and Alik. “It’s very good.”

“No buffets,” Tony nearly growled to confirm.

I grinned at them, “He doesn’t want all those hands in his food.”

Sasha looked confused, “I think they do for lunch and on Sunday for all those people coming from church.” He waved a out our terrace doors at the sunsetting sky. “It’s not lunch. They serve you at the table now.”

“Is it Cantonese, Szechuan…” Tony began.

David’s eyes rolled, “I don’t know, Tony. They serve General Tso’s Chicken and Shrimp, a good Peking Shrimp,” he looked at me. “You will like it. We both love the spicy dishes.”

“We’ll try it,” I took Tony by the hand. “Come on.”

Tony pointed at Sasha, “He’s driving.”

We did have a great dinner. We in the United States were getting better, but really knew nothing about foreign cuisine. They did have a great, very spicy Peking Shrimp! I loved it!! It was a bistro! Tablecloths, cloth napkins with rolled up silverware! Knives and forks! They offered chopsticks to those that could handle them. Naturally, Tony could. I didn’t have the practiced dexterity. Bright red walls with large Chinese words written in Chinese and in gold! They were Chinese, I knew the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Korean and some others. I was not about to learn a fourth language now. English, Italian, and Russian were enough for now. No, I promised to learn French. Canadian-French, but French. This bistro had waitresses and waiters dressed in Oriental clothing and they had the Chinese harp music in the background. Even the carpet was red like the walls! The food was wonderful!

 

The thing was we could have as few as a hundred to feed, as well as the members of the church. This dinner was going to be on a Tuesday night, so not many. Friday would be much worse! No, that was the wrong word. It would be much busier Friday. As this has gone on for a couple of weeks every year, the word has gotten out to the poor and homeless, and they would COME!! They didn’t give a damn that their dinner was cooked by a fag or a dyke. It was free FOOD!! We could have as many as three hundred! Our Fellowship Hall would limit how many we could feed at once. Word about this had spread and we had no idea how many were coming.

I went to the market Tony said to go to after he went to his office in town. Using Mama Delveccio’s recipe, I got the needed herbs, spices, and all that was needed for the Delveccio Gravy. There’s no need to tell you, I’m not talking about spaghetti sauce. Gravy! Meat in it! Gravy! The problem was they didn’t have enough fresh macaroni made but promised to have enough for three hundred by five in the afternoon. Plenty of time. If they got it done. They saw me and knew Tony and I were married, so I had little doubt they would. They loved us! I get the needed spices and extra virgin olive oil for the Italian Dressing, both regular and creamy. Italians had several kinds of pasta. Yes, I called it pasta. Over two dozen types only one was spaghetti. Linguini, angel hair, fettuccine. bowtie…the list goes on and on! I ordered the spaghetti. I ordered the bread for the garlic bread. Wine! You had to have wine good enough for you to drink to add to the Delveccio Gravy! That was the rule. I admit to loving the flavor of Mama’s Gravy, or should I say Nonna’s Gravy? I loved it then!

Fortunately, we had a few computers that could calculate how many pounds of what were needed. Over a hundred pounds of meat! Combined, but still! I was thrilled I had Bubba Junior! I had plenty of room. I had the general manager, and two baggers help me get it in my Bronco.

“How are you getting this in your home, Mr. Delveccio?” The general manager asked after I closed the door.

I smiled as he used the Delveccio name for me. “There’s a cart we have, but I’ll manage.” I shrugged, “I have to.”

“Give me a minute,” the manager said and raced inside asking one of the baggers to remain. He raced back. “Okay, Ted, ride with Mr. Delveccio and I will follow and bring you back.”

“You don’t have…” I began.

“You and Tony are good customers,” the manager interrupted. “This is for a dinner? At your church? I heard you saying it was for a free dinner for the poor and homeless when you were in the cashier line.”

“Yes,” I answered. “We’re obviously making a large dinner for an unknown amount of people.”

The manager, a young man in his early thirties. Not a bad looking man and in good shape. Yes, I noticed. I’m gay, if I need to remind you. “The pasta you ordered will be taken off your bill. We’ll help as we can.”

I told you. The Holidays brought the good out of a lot of people. “Thank you.” I said and waved to the passenger side of my Bronco.

We made a quick trip home and I went to get the cart from inside the garage. Once we got it up to the condo, they did what any person did when coming into the condo.

“Wow,” the bagger, who was a young man in his early twenties said as they came in. He saw the interior and the Christmas decorations.

I nodded, “Wow.” I grinned. “I’ve lived here a while and I still get that feeling. The decoration is for the many children that live here. Myself included.”

Once the cart was unloaded, it was almost nine-thirty. I had enough time to get it all ready in time. If I made no mistakes. The pressure was on! I knew how to cook, but this was to show others I was Italian and a Delveccio! I took a deep breath and began. Getting the HUGE stew pot, sixteen quarts! We used it occasionally for parties and when I made Frogmore Stew.

This time, it was for only the Delveccio Gravy. I peeled the garlic cloves, put the smaller pot on and put them in with the butter and the smell was making me drool! Things, according to Mama’s recipe card had to be done in stages, adding the extra virgin olive oil. Steamed and peeled the tomatoes, yes, the San Marzano tomatoes, and peeled them. Between the slow cooking over lower heat and adding the ingredients on time the condo smelled very good! Tony did come home from his office at one o’clock. I knew it was to see if I needed rescuing. He smiled as he sniffed the air and when I waved him away. I didn’t have time to talk other than a quick greeting. Mama, Louise, Kathy, Melissa, and yes, Tony gave a helping hand and that made it work faster.

“I’m showing I’m a Delveccio,” I said to Tony. “How can I do it if you interfere?” I kissed Tony and went back to work. “Go do what you need to.” I waved him away.

Tony grinned raising his hands in surrender and backed away. Sasha and David had fled knowing it would be tense here. They weren’t stupid. When they came home about four that afternoon with Alik it took only a sniff for them to smile.

“That smells good!” Alik piped in quickly. He looked at the huge pot on the stove, “Good grief! How much did you make?”

I grinned, “Hopefully enough.” I looked at Alik, “You sounded like a true American just now.” I withdrew the very big silicon spoon I propped on the inside side of the pot. “There could be many people there tonight. If not you’ll be eating a lot of pasta for months! Your Uncle Tony is the one to tell me if I succeeded.” I kept the large cauldron stirred. “If you, David or Sasha can get Tony, we’ll see.” I saw Alik take off for Tony’s home office, “Or Alik can do it.” I chuckled.

“…I’m coming, I’m coming!” Tony said as Alik was almost literally dragging him. “Okay.” He chuckled as he reached my side. “I’ve smelled the whole process. I know you have it.”

I used my forearm to get the hair from my forehead, “Yes,” I took a large spoon and scooped up some gravy. “Does it pass the taste test?”

Tony saw the steam, blew on it lightly then took a small sip. It WAS hot! His eyes rose and he inhaled a little, but then came back to take more. His eyes seemed to go back into his head, “Oh, mamma, è delizioso!”

I smiled at his reaction, “Thank you. Is it like Nonna’s?”

“Absolutely!” Tony nodded happily. “You ARE Italian and a Delveccio!”

“Even I know what Tony said,” David stated. “Delicious. Can we have some?”

“You could,” I nodded. “However, we need to go by the market. They are making spaghetti for tonight,” I looked at Sasha, David, and Alik. “Oh, I didn’t make meatballs, but there’s a lot of meat in the gravy,” my head grudged a shrug. “That’s why it’s called gravy.” I waved at another large pot, but a great deal smaller than the big one. “There’s marinara in that pot. No meat, and yes, this macaroni is going to be spaghetti, just one of the many pastas.” I saw David grin. “They are making the bread for the garlic toasted bread. We can take the things for Tony to make the Italian Dressing. Get it together and someone get the cart from the garage and bring it up here. We secure this in BJ and DON’T spill a DROP! If we spill this I will be a basket case.” I pointed at them, “You don’t want that. Trust me.” I turned, “And before we move it from the burner, we secure the lid! Don’t touch it until I do!”

Both David and Sasha saluted their reply. Sasha went to get the cart. I got the things we needed for Tony’s garlic bread.

“When are we eating?” Alik moaned in agony. He held his stomach to tell us where he was suffering.

“Six-thirty,” I answered. “You’ll survive.” I pointed to another package. “The garlic cloves needed for the garlic toast is there. Don’t forget those.”

 

We got the needed things together and took them downstairs and loaded into my Bronco. Secured in the back. We got to the market and got the bread and spaghetti and headed to the church. We got to the church and got another cart to carry the precious cargo indoors. There were volunteers to help do that, but they weren’t ready for the weight! It was over a hundred and fifty pounds! Remember how much meat?

“If any is spilled…” I warned as we struggled to get it on the cart.

“I won’t guarantee your safety!” Tony muttered from the struggle to keep the cauldron level. The lid was fastened, and it was sealed, unless dropped. Even then it was promised to NEVER spill! That’s great! Until it does. “If you lose the contents of the pot, I can promise you will be haunted by many Italian ghosts! Many will be very old…”

“Tony!” I interrupted about to scold him and my mind went to how much trouble it was to make it, “Never mind. You’re right.”

We got everything into the kitchen safely and unloaded.

One of the women there saw the plastic bagged spaghetti and frowned at the macaroni folded several times in each one. “I’ve never seen spaghetti noodles like this!”

“It sure ain’t Meullers!” David grinned as he unloaded the loaves of bread.

“We’ve had it many times,” Sasha nodded. “It’s very good! Ziti, farfalle, ditalini, fusilli…”

“What are they?” She asked.

Tony sighed as he got things together to make the salad dressing, “Its Italian macaroni. To live in our house, you have to know the different kinds.”

The woman was really a busybody. She had her view of what was and her mind wouldn’t be changed easily. Being gay did NOT mean a person was enlightened. She was a victim just like the many McKenzies. She motioned to the large pot, “This isn’t Prego or Ragu?”

“ Rag…” Tony blurted and stood up very straight. He looked around quickly. Grabbing a large, clean spoon, not big enough for the gravy pot, was handing it to her, the round end just at his stomach, “Here, use this! Stick it in me, it will hurt less!” He put the spoon down and walked into the fellowship hall. The woman was shocked and just stared as Tony walked out of the kitchen.

I covered the smile on my face before I said, “He’s very sensitive and proud of his Italian heritage.”

“As I understand it,” David bounced and motioned to the pot. “This recipe has been handed down from generation to generation…”

“…for over a thousand years!” Alik added. “From Uncle Tony’s great, great grandmother back in Italy!”

“Cooked by a real Italian and a Delveccio!” Sasha finished as he smiled at me. I knew his meaning. I wasn’t about to apologize for Tony or what happened.

I had to instruct those who were helping, but not part of Tony’s and my family, how to heat up each item. The Delveccio Gravy was cooked and ready to eat. The heat on a low heat and the flavors would sopsare. Sopsare was Italian for marry. I smiled at that memory. Mama was such a wonderful woman. Many of her recipes were written in English AND Italian! Some, I suspected Mama copied from her mother-in-law or Angelo’s grandmother, were simply copied in Italian! No translating needed or done. Even the measurements and oven temperatures I had to convert. Most of great, great grandmother’s cooking was done in a fire operated cast-iron stove! Her daughter and granddaughter had through trial and error gotten the heat temperatures…in Celsius! I had to do math! Increasing the amounts of garlic in the beginning, the amount of olive oil…everything! Chemistry. Cooking is a science!

I instructed them on using the garlic to make the garlic toasted bread by scraping the toast with the garlic with no butter. Testing the spaghetti by throwing a piece on the wall to see if it stuck.

Tony came back grumbling quietly, but I heard him. “She didn’t know, Tony. She insulted you, but it was ignorance.” I said as I worked.

“What?” Tony’s attention came back and remembered, “Oh, Sally?” He physically waved that off. “Forget her. She can die in ignorance and feel superior.” He waved in the direction of the Fellowship Hall. “They’ve decorated out there! It looks like the Olive Garden! It’s not Italian!”

I remembered the first day we met and chuckled, “That bad?” I had nothing against the Olive Garden, but Tony did.

“You’ll see,” Tony grumbled. He sighed as he shook his head, “This was supposed to be an Italian Night. By us, the Italians!” He was mixing the items for the Italian Dressing.

“Is there anything you can do?” I asked. I walked to the door and opened it to see. I had been busy! I had to smile. They had laid the red and white checked tablecloths, put centerpieces of wine bottles with candles in the top, someone had printed out large pictures of the Colosseum, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Trevi Fountain, the Statue of David (Poor guy. Captured for eternity with his shortcoming. His small penis? Great muscles, though!), the picture of Napoli. I grinned and turned to Tony. “So? What’s wrong?”

His head wavered a bit, “It just doesn’t feel Italian!”

I went over to him and put my arms around him, “Do I feel Italian to you?”

“You are,” Tony insisted. “You’ve been living with me and have picked up on it.” He grinned, “You yell as good as any other Italian.”

“What can you do to improve things out there?” I asked.

He snapped his fingers, “I know! It’s a small thing, but…I’ll be right back.” He hurried out to the Hall again.

It just took a few minutes, and I heard the Italian accordion playing I had heard a few times in Italy. I couldn’t help the smile that came on my face. Tony was directing the others out there.

The music stopped and I wondered why, but Tony came back smiling. “Much better.” He looked at my puzzled face and grinned, “We’ll have to wait for everyone to get here. We don’t want to break the spell. YouTube is wonderful!”

“I agree,” I returned to the Delveccio Gravy. “Mama would be very angry if I let any of the gravy congeal.” I stirred the huge pot again, slowly. Just as Mama’s instructions told me to. Someone would have to until we were ready to serve.

People gathered early but were kept from the Fellowship Hall. Others who were members of our church held the hungry people at bay. Not all of them were homeless. This dinner was for everyone. A little bit of nonsensical trivia, the church was originally a pet store. A high-end pet store, but they kept animals here. Where the sanctuary was, had held dogs, cats, and other pets including rodents and snakes! Where the Fellowship Hall is had aquariums of exotic fish! We added to the kitchen and breakroom. the Fellowship Hall also now was used as a gym. There had been no windows to threaten the many fish. I understood some of the aquariums were pretty large. For the church they had taken what was there and just made it better to use. The floors were gray concrete with no other flooring.

The time to start the evening came and those LOVELY urns with the little flame underneath had their serving bowls brought and I filled bowls to give to the people! Decorated for Christmas there were the traditional Christmas Trees lit with strings of tiny white lights the tallest in the center of three at the other end from where we were serving, which was just out of the kitchen. Baskets of the garlic bread, a huge bowl of cut up lettuce with those cherry tomatoes and other salad things. Tony had made the Italian Dressing and there were bottles of the other dressings out if they didn’t care for Italian Dressing. The smell of the gravy and baked breads smeared with the garlic permeated the air and was making me hungry. Garland of green with the red ribbons. They had the stark walls covered. There were no signs of Santa or Bafana. A good witch here would not have been understood by many here. Bafana was more of an Italian icon. The Nativity was out for everyone to see. This was a church.

It was close to six-thirty, and we had almost a hundred people in our entrance way! There were people that would take donations for the dinner from those that could afford to give. I knew Tony and I, along with Sasha and David had given a generous donation even before that was set up!

Pastor Terry stood on a square block to be seen and held her hands up. “Welcome everyone to a very great night. This night is being brought to us by a great couple from our church. Tony Delveccio and Mitch McKenzie have labored hard to bring us an authentic Italian dinner! You can smell it now from here.” She inhaled the fragrant aroma. “I’m told the sauce…” she looked at Tony’s frown, “Yes, Tony, I understand Italians don’t call it that. The spaghetti are referred to as macaroni and what we call sauce is gravy. The gravy has been passed down for generations in the Delveccio family. A hundred to two hundred years! This will be a taste of Italy! A wonderful taste! Made by Tony…”

Tony took my hand and stepped forward a bit, “Well, just a correction. I made the dressing and garlic bread. The Delveccio Gravy was made by THIS Delveccio!” He pulled me forward. He chuckled at Pastor Terry, “You performed ONE of the THREE weddings! I married him THREE times! We married the third time in Boston and its legal there and as soon as the rest of the United States wakes up, it will be here! He IS a Delveccio! He is very much an Italian! Thank HIM!”

The murmurs spread by the ever-increasing crowd. The idea of the single gender marriage was not alarming here. This church was a church that had had been formed by a minister who was gay and created for gays and lesbians could go and be welcomed. People coming in for a warm, free meal, were coming from all over Charleston. Members weren’t necessarily homeless but returning from work. And it may have been for the poor and homeless, but they knew the value of a free meal…especially at this time of year! Charleston did have some cold weather, but tonight wasn’t that cold. The doors to the Fellowship Hall opened and the gasps continued. The sound of that Italian accordion filled the air, the lights were on low, and the table had the candles lit. You could see the serving line and the abundance of paper plates, paper napkins that had the spoons and forks wrapped waited to be used. No dishes to be washed. No knives were needed. No butter needed spreading, nor anything else needed spreading. Alik finally got to eat! He’d waited two and a half hours! He took his loaded plate as David and Sasha got his drink of sweet tea; this was the South! He was given has salad and he began shoveling it in! The spaghetti was a little new as the long strands had to be done right to eat them, but he had been in our home a few years and knew how to use his spoon as the base and twirled the fork of spaghetti. He looked at me smiling and held his approving thumb up at me.

There was a large screen set up to show movies and show…whatever. Now it showed Italy! Rome mostly and all night scenes. A continuous tour of Rome at night. The pictures of the Trevi Fountain, the Coliseum, the Leaning Tower and others could be seen, but the dimmer light in the Fellowship Hall was offset by the lights on the trees and serving line. I prayed I made enough! They kept coming! I lost count. The gravy being served was refilled and it went on. The voices in the Fellowship Hall grew in volume, but the background music was heard softly. I smiled as the music with the accordion played many Christmas songs everyone knew. Finally, I was told to sit! Ordered to! Tony brought me a plate of my own spaghetti with the Delveccio Gravy.

Tony sat in a chair next to me, “You did our family proud tonight! I’m proud of you.” He kissed me. Then he pointed at my steaming plate, “Now EAT!”

I did try, but I had people coming and telling me how great I had done and how much they loved it. Some were telling me I was indeed Italian! I was now determined to have the Delveccio name included with mine. I would have to explain it to Dad. I was born a McKenzie and would be forever, but somehow the fact that I was a Delveccio needed to be included.

“You managed to include many songs for Christmas,” I said to Tony during a lull in the well-wishers and thank yous.

Tony shrugged, “Atmosphere! I had to make it feel Italian and Christmas.” He grinned. “That atmosphere was missing when we got here.”

I touched his face gently, “You did beautifully.” I nodded determined, “I am Italian, and I am a Delveccio. I’m including the Delveccio name with mine.” I saw his look he gave me before. “I’m not having a child to pass the McKenzie name to, Tony. This is for me. I know I’m a Delveccio and I am a McKenzie. I will explain it to Dad.”

Pastor Terry came over motioning us to remain seated and touched Tony and me, “This has been one of the best dinners we have EVER had!” She smiled, “I’ve had request after request for you to do this AGAIN!” She looked at me, “And for you to make this again.” She smiled at Tony, “And I have to ask your forgiveness, I did NOT understand about what you said about Italian Cuisine and ambience. I do now!” She shook me gently, “Tell me you’ll be willing to do this again.”

My eyes widened and the old me came to the surface, “Please, not tomorrow.”

She laughed and grudged a nod, “I think we can give you tomorrow off.” She looked at me again, “If I give you control, how about June or July?”

I pointed at Tony, “If he agrees to decorate!”

Having Tony agree to do it meant he promised to be here! You know what I mean. His health was calling the shots. “I’d be happy to…” he paused, “provided we’re here.” He would be finished with the first six month round of chemo and radiation. He would be sick. He waved at Sasha and David. “I would suggest a Russian Night, but they will be Newlyweds.” He smiled. “Sasha is a great cook!”

Pastor Terry smiled hearing that, “Is he?” She nodded. “Why not one night for Sasha and Russian Night and another night for Italian Night!”

We probably could, and Tony probably would let Pastor Terry know what he would be going through at the beginning of next month. I smiled at David, “My cousin and Sasha will be getting married, and Tony and I are their Best Men.”

“Meaning,” Tony explained further, “All of us will be out of town to Boston, then they are off on their Honeymoon…” He took my hand, “and we were planning another trip after we get them married.”

Pastor Terry’s head wavered a little, “When Mitch introduced his cousin to me at their wedding,” she looked at David, “I found it difficult to see you as just a cousin.” She waved at Sasha, “Then I was introduced to this wonderful man and his adorable son…we could use more diversity in this church. I think Russian Orthodox would be a great addition.”

I nodded, “He can introduce borscht to the people here,” I grinned. “We love it! Or maybe Pozharsky Culets.” I smiled at Sasha who was smiling back. I looked at Pastor Terry, “That’s a minced meat that’s kind of tangy.”

“Or Kholodets,” Tony laughed lightly.

Sasha was smiling but looked away, “That takes a day to make!”

I waved at my plate, “So did this!” I pointed out, “The people here tonight were aware of what was being fixed, though they NEVER tasted Delveccio Gravy before.” I jabbed a finger in his direction, “I KNOW they don’t know your jellied meat!”

“His Shashlik!” David added with a grin. He told Pastor Terry, “It’s this marinated meat cooked on a grill like a backyard barbeque! It’s delicious!”

Pastor Terry mockingly frowned, “Fine.” She waved at David and Sasha, “Get married!” She looked at Tony and me, “Go on your dadburn trip.” She folded her arms across her chest in a pout and then pointed at us, “But you have to come back sometime. We’ll have an International Night! Italian, Russian, and we have several Asians in our church. We can add China and Korean to the night.” She looked at us, “You come back!”

I smiled nodding, “We’ll have to plan. There’s time.” I looked at Tony, but glanced at Alik and said, “Alla fine lo saprà. Potrebbe essere molto utile.” Telling Tony she could be a comfort to him and she would know soon.

Tony nodded, “Quando sarò pronto.” He qualified, when he was ready.

Alik frowned, “That was in Italian. Why?”

Tony grinned at him, “Obviously, because we didn’t want you to know what we were saying!”

Alik’s bottom lip stuck out, “I hate it when you do that.”

“You’ll live,” I added.

The night was a very big hit with the poor, homeless, and members of the church that attended. There were three hundred and twenty-six people there that night! My worry if I made enough flew out the window. There were many who came back for seconds and two I knew had thirds! I made it to be eaten and I loved that both the Delveccio Gravy and Marinara pot had the metal sound as the ladles scrapped the bottoms. Even the bit I had put in the refrigerator was gone! The garlic bread was gone. The spaghetti was gone. It was all gone! The decorations were left up, except the pictures of Italy. Tables were cleared and cleaned, and the massive amounts of garbage was taken out. The only things to be washed was the pots, bowls, and utensils we brought from home. I watched them with my long silicon spoon. It was the only one to reach the bottom of the big pot! I was ordered to go and sit! I had done more than enough, or so I was told. I even had Tony drive Bubba Junior for fear I’d fall asleep.

 

I stirred from sleep and felt my companion of many years beside me.

“Morning, Sunshine!” Tony’s soft voice greeted me. His voice was hushed due to the early hour. I felt him roll and pull me into his arms tighter. “You did wonderfully last night.”

Wrapping my arms around him, “I didn’t do it alone.” I shrugged, “You were there…so was Mama and Papa, Angelo, if you didn’t get that. They were there…”

Tony nodded, “And they were so proud of you, too.” He sighed, “There were people there that I know are homeless. There were a few that were just poor.” He looked at me, “I almost feel guilty about having money.”

I cocked my head, “You work for the money. You’re smart and do a damned good job.” I nodded, “There are some…” I thought, “That young woman with the two children, the boy about five and the daughter about three? She is just in her mid-twenties,” I thought about what I had been told about her. “Her husband had fallen in love with alcohol and heroin. He loves that more than his family.” I sighed, “Until he can shake the addiction he will put those things first. She receives assistance, but he often steals money from her taking money she has made. They gave her a card to buy groceries, he CAN’T steal that. We can buy her a better home, but until she’s free of him…”

Tony smiled, “I know this Christmas will be good for her and her children as I gave money to provide two gifts for each child and for the mother. Santa or Bafana will be coming. Clothes are needed, but every child wants a toy. They will have them.” He grinned, “We only have two more days and…” he had his hand move over me in an upward direction, “and we fly to New York!”

I touched his face gently, “I am by your side. Always. You may need to rethink keeping Kathy, Louise, Al, and Mike in the dark about what you’re facing.” I put my fingers over his mouth, “To keep them in the dark is just wrong. Even Nick. He will want to help and support you! They’re family! Pastor Terry could be there to support you spiritually. Don’t be so proud to turn that support away.” I waved outside the bedroom, “You will need more than just me, David, and Sasha! What you have is treatable!”

Tony leaned back a bit and sighed, “I know.” He said with reluctant resolve.

“You have to be in control all the time,” I said quietly.

“I do NOT!” Tony’s voice was not quite yelling. “I sure as Hell am not in control of YOU!”

“Because I won’t let you!” I said as firmly. “You do try. There are times I will let you; like with what I am to wear. When you’re wrong, I will tell you!”

Tony flopped down, “Yes, sometimes when I’m wrong you will beat it into me.”

“I didn’t hurt you, did I?” He shook his head and smiled. I propped up to look down on him, “I did that only ONCE when you weren’t understanding, and I had to get you to really hear me! It worked. About this illness…”

“I don’t want to upset anyone,” Tony moaned.

“I know,” I leaned closer and kissed him gently. “They will be even MORE upset if you don’t tell them, and they find out! As a matter of fact, I can promise that they will be so pissed off! So what if they are upset? They SHOULD be upset, damn it! They CARE about you. They LOVE you!”

Tony nodded and pulled me in tighter, “I need you.”

“I’m here,” I assured him. “I’m not leaving. This will be a hard uphill battle. No, I don’t know how bad it will be, but all I have read tells me it will be. I promise, I will do all I can to make it easier.” I shrugged, “But Dr. Keogh was VERY optimistic about it. There is a danger, yes, but…”

Tony grinned, “We’ve located the horse AND the saddle. This ride will be rough.”

I smiled, “Adding to my Mitchism?” I nodded, “Okay, I’ll give you permission. I’m Italian, you’re a Southerner. I will never leave you. Ever.”

Tony’s face held fear, love, and great need. Letting someone into a very scary part of your life where there was little to no control was a very frightening thing. Tony had NO control. I was let in because I was his life-partner. This particular sickness overshadowed EVERYTHING! Tony was adding humor to tell me cancer had not taken him completely over. That was a good sign. We would fight this and there was hope.

 

The anticipation of the trip was affecting everyone. Alik was excited about taking another plane trip. His first flight was coming to the United States. Now he was flying again, and he was very excited and hyperactive. He had three more days of school, and we were leaving that Friday afternoon. He began packing that Wednesday afternoon. To be honest, I was excited, too. We all were. The sound of footsteps rushing from his room to David’s and Sasha’s were heard below. His fathers were making sure he had packed all he needed. Yes, I heard, the toothbrush and toothpaste were needed, but it was also needed for a few more days. The same with his Spiderman shampoo. The Avengers sculpted so much in our lives. Superheroes were naturally part of that. It had that fresh spider-scent!

Every culture had Superheroes and Russia had them. Alik, thanks to our television and Russian Channels kept up with them, Nikolai Dante and Tanya were two that fought for Russia. He kept up with all them in the UNForce. Mother Russia. Zashchitniki! Guardians, for those that don’t speak Russian!

We also knew another part of our lives was happening. We saw Alik come out of Tony’s office and computer room. His face was puzzled.

“What’s wrong?” Sasha asked as he worked on a new ornament for the tree.

Alik looked back at the computer room as he sat on the couch. My couch. The ugly one? It had been recovered, but it was still my couch. “I don’t know,” Alik answered in English, looking away from the computer room. “She was acting weird.” Now, he really sounded like a child raised in the United States. I could only detect the slightest accent.

“How’s that?” Sasha asked, but his face told us he knew.

“She said the computer you gave her, Uncle Tony, was acting up and she was having to use her phone,” Alik reported.

“She was okay,” David pressed a little. “She wasn’t hurt or sick, was she?” He sat in a plush chair near my couch. Alik sat on the opposite side of the coffee table from David.

“No,” Alik replied. “We only talked a few minutes. I asked her if she was alright. She sounded fine.” He shrugged, “I told her we were flying to where you grew up, Uncle Tony. She didn’t seem interested.”

“It sure won’t be like where my father grew up,” I grinned. “You remember that.”

Tony nodded, “I have crazy relatives, but their necks aren’t as red.” I gave him a stern look which just made him smile more, “Well, they are! Do you prefer hicks?” He knew I would retaliate. I gave him a moderate pinch in the side, making him give a laughing yelp.

Tasha was moving to the United States and would be in New York! She would be reunited with Alik! We knew she was going to be at Sasha’s and David’s wedding. We would go to Her’s and Igor’s wedding, whenever that was. Alik had been uprooted before and Sasha would let Tasha keep him, but Alik’s life now was here. He had school, friends, and all of us. Tasha had him and was his mother. In fact, I believe Sasha and David were counting on Tasha taking Alik while they were on their Honeymoon.

“Is there a problem?” Sasha asked.

Alik shrugged, “I guess not.”

“Remember,” David grinned. “We go, spend Christmas with your Uncle Tony’s family, and then we fly to Boston for a couple of days.”

Alik nodded, “To see where you and Dad are getting married.

“Right,” Sasha nodded. “Then we fly back to New York for New Years. It will be a busy couple of weeks.”

“We’ll take you to the Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes! Skating in Rockefeller Center! Even a Broadway Christmas.” Tony said happily.

Sasha heard that and looked at us puzzled, “Broadway? What show are you taking us to?”

Tony saw my surprised reaction about the show on Broadway and didn’t answer exactly, “It’s…a surprise.” He grinned winking at me, “I promise all kids at heart will love it! It’s for all of us!” He was always doing this!

All I could do was shake my head, “And don’t forget Gilbert!” I reminded Tony. I looked at Sasha, David, and Alik, “He has a HUGE crush on Tony.”

Tony blushed and nodded, “Yes, he does.” He quickly defended Gilbert, “He made Mitch’s and my wedding cake!” He looked at David. “That was good, wasn’t it?”

David shook his head and well, he was a McKenzie and my cousin! He got his humor from the good portions of the family, “That wouldn’t be exactly right, Tony.” He said in mock seriousness. I wasn’t fooled and he saw the grin on my face. He saw Tony’s face fall a bit. Then David brightened, “It was the BEST damned cake ever MADE!”

Tony laughed, “And THAT’S why he’s making yours! Christmas is on Friday. We’ll see Gilbert on Monday, shop for more clothes that afternoon, Tuesday will be skating in Rockefeller Center and the Christmas Spectacular that evening, Wednesday will be Broadway, Thursday will be Christmas Eve and Mitch and I have a tradition we’re willing to share, but we have something we do. Friday is Christmas!”

“We have the Midnight Service at the MCC in Manhattan Thursday Night,” I pointed at Alik. “Will he be okay with that?”

Sasha looked at Alik and shrugged, “We’ll see.” He grinned, “He maybe too excited to nap before…considering.” He grinned. We knew what he meant.

“Well,” Tony shrugged. “EVERYONE is welcome.” He said pointedly. “Aren’t you Russians Orthodox? That’s on the seventh!”

Sasha grinned and bobbed his head slightly, “It is! So, there should be no problem.”

 

The remaining days went by quickly. We even went to Italian da Roma again. Ushered again to a choice table, much to the disapproval of those waiting for a table. There were other people that made reservations and they were allowed in like we were. Sasha drove his car this time. The valets greeted us but were disappointed I hadn’t brought my Bronco. Friday was a whirlwind of activity! Alik went for his last day at school for the YEAR! Alik let us know that was the REAL important part. THE YEAR! He could barely sit to have his breakfast!

 

When Alik returned from his half day at school he was again a whirlwind of activity! He saw his luggage was waiting for him along with my own, Tony’s, David’s, and his fathers.

“I had a lot more when I flew here!” Alik said.

“You were moving here,” Sasha reminded him. “We’re not moving to New York.”

“We’re flying on a bus?” Alik asked.

Tony grudged a nod, “Yes, it’s called an Air Bus.” He grinned, “It’s a very nice plane. Jet Blue is the Airline. It doesn’t look like a bus.”

 

When the van arrived to take us and our luggage to the airport, it was a quick trip. Transportation Security Administration. TSA. A savior or just a pain in the ass? It depends on your perspective. Racial profilers? Sometimes. I say this with little pride. Just stating fact. We were all Caucasian. White. Which Tony was for the present season. In Summer, he changed by tanning by the sun. It was worse in New York. In Charleston we breezed through.

The Christmas Season is the most traveled time of year. That was so perhaps midweek, but not here in Charleston. It was busy, but not bad.

Again, Tony got first class seats, so we boarded first.

“Wow,” Alik said as we entered the plane.

I was impressed, too. “You said it.” I nodded. “Wow.”

The first class section was divided by the aisle with two seats on either side. With armrests wide enough there would be no disputes about who it belonged to. Legroom!

Tony came up behind us, “You should see their Minted Business Class! It rivals First Class!” He smiled. “It perhaps is better!”

I looked beyond the segmented area for our seats and saw the seats for this business class. Those seats were almost totally enclosed where a person could work with privacy, noise from the rest of the plane, A computer could be plugged in where you could work, OR you could use the computer in this seating area! All of the seats were deep recessed, allowing the passenger to have peace for a while! No more did the passenger in front of you push back to sleep. You know, where the head felt like they were in your lap. You had no feeling on this plane like you were just a single sardine in a can crammed so full.

Alik, of course, got a window seat. He could see out of his window seat as it was low enough, or Alik was now tall enough to see clearly. He was still enraptured by the planes clean look, there was a lot of blue. The seats were plush, leather-like where a passenger could push back and sleep. Never bothering the passenger behind them. Alik touched a screen in front of him, which right now was off and black. “Kazhdy iz nas poluchayet svoy sobstvenny ekran television?” In his excitement, he switched to his comfortable language. He was asking about the television screen.

Sasha smiled and shrugged, but answered in English. “We won’t know until it comes on.”

Alik’s attention went back to the plane and his seat. “This plane is the best I’ve ever been on!”

I nodded, “And that number of planes is how many? If we include this one that makes how many? Two?”

Sasha smiled, “Uh…” he began, “this plane will be four.” He corrected. “They flew to the Charles de Gaulle Airport, changed planes and flew to Charleston.”

“Paris!?” Tony asked surprised. “I clearly marked them down for Gatwick in England.”

“And they did!” Sasha said loud. “They landed in England and had to fly to Paris to keep the schedule and get to Charleston on time!”

I grinned and patted Sasha gently, “Are you part Italian?”

“I’m way worse!” Sasha claimed loud. “I’m a man born and raised in Russia who speaks loudly when irritated and will soon be angry. No love is being expressed!”

I nodded and said with a grin, “But you do love us.”

“Of course, I do!” Sasha loudly stated. “That’s not the question.”

Tony was laughing lightly, “Well, Alik has only one other seat by him. Who gets the honor of sitting with him for the two hours?” He looked around.. “And who sits alone? There are only two seats here.”

Sasha looked at his son, “Alik. Who do you want to sit next to you?” He waved at David, Tony, and me.

Alik considered and pointed at Tony, “Uncle Tony.”

Tony looked smug and stuck his tongue out a little, “He knows quality.”

“Just behave yourself, Tony,” I told him.

David, Sasha, and I did the Rock, Paper, Scissors to see who was sitting alone. David got the single seat behind the other two before him. I sat by Sasha. He was fascinated by this Air Bus, as well.

“This is very comfortable!” Sasha said rubbing his generous seat padding. He pushed the back of his seat back, never bothering David.

“Human evolution,” I commented simply. “We move from the trees to caves, to constructed homes making them castles and posh, travel also from foot traffic to horses and wagons, to cars which go farther and offer radio and music, from the Wright Brothers and now this!” I patted the plane’s interior wall near the window. “It’s natural.”

Sasha nodded, “I like nature.”

I looked at Alik across our aisle. He was at the window. Sasha was at ours totally across the width of the plane. I still whispered, “The trouble with Tasha is because…” I left open for Sasha to tell me.

Sasha grinned, “She’s here.” He whispered back. “She and Igor will be at Rockefeller Center on Tuesday morning. She’s begun her move here.”

“Great!” I smiled. “We’ll be sure to be on time. Which is?”

“Eleven in the morning,” Sasha answered.

The other passengers boarded, and no one had to squeeze by while other stowed their carry-ons. We didn’t have any. It wasn’t that long a flight. There were a number of other children on the flight going to meet with family for holidays on this flight.

Stewards and Stewardesses helped the passengers to their seats. Alik was seat belted in with the straps across his lap AND crisscrossing his chest. He was secure. The same with the rest of us. There was a woman, older than the other stewards who was in charge. Also gone on this plane was the ever present stewardess or steward going through the safety instructions. They still had those instructions but the screens came to life as we taxied toward the runway. The female voice was heard but not seen. The emergency exits were shown, those lovely air masks were shown descending and from where. Also instructions showed us where a parent was shown putting their mask of BEFORE putting one on their child! You couldn’t have the parent passing out and in distress while the child watched! Explanation on the screens before them about ordering things such as drinks, snacks of those peanuts or other edibles. Also, there was a choice of television shows, movies of any kind from a menu. Games! No one needed a Gameboy! Any language could be chosen for the television shows, movies, or games. If it was available by the Internet, which almost all was, you could choose it.

Runways look smooth, but a plane riding over one, you felt all flaws, bumps, or anything that caused the ride to be rough, no matter how small. The runway we were on was repaved often, but still old. Alik, Sasha, and David watched as we got ready and as soon as we were cleared began to move.

Taking off was exciting! We went faster and faster, the nose rising slowly and our remaining wheels lost contact with Earth and we slowly rose in the sky! I was thrilled, too!

Once we achieved our cruising altitude and speed, our screens told us we could remove our seat belts and move about the plane.

I leaned toward Tony and told him, “This IS the best plane I’ve ever been on.”

Tony chuckled, “This is the newest plane they have. All the bells and whistles are on this Air Bus.” He grinned, “No going through Atlanta or Charlotte!”

I shook my head, “That doesn’t seem possible.”

“I know,” Tony agreed.

Alik saw the screen had come back on and touched a portion of the screen, “I can have these drinks!?”

Tony looked before he answered, “Sure.” He held a caution finger up. “No martinis for you yet! You know what those are, right?”

Alik grinned, nodded, and hit a portion and then another.

I touched my screen and saw the menu of things, including the snacks and beverages. Smiling at what I saw, I ordered a banana and pineapple drink and those wonderful honey roasted and coated peanuts. I was surprised when a timer was displayed. It would be three minutes for me to get my drink and nuts. I hated to be a steward on this plane. Sasha ordered a beer. Why had we flown on anything else?

Tony leaned over and answered my unvoiced question, “Jet Blue is mostly a domestic destination airline. The only international flights are in the Caribbean.”

I looked at him, “Stop that!”

“Stop what?” Tony grinned and pointed at me. “You were thinking that, weren’t you?”

“Yes!” I said loud.

Before the timer ran out, I had my drink and package of nuts. Delicious! I looked over at Tony, “I can read your mind, too, you know.”

He chuckled and nodded.

 

The flight was enjoyable! I hate to say it, but it “flew by.” Before long the “Fasten Your Seats” message appeared and was spoken from the screen.

“Aw,” Alik said disappointed. “Already!?”

Tony laughed, “We have to fly back. And we have only so much fuel.”

Landing and rolling up for departure, we got up to leave.

“Okay, Alik,” Tony began cautioning. “This is a very busy airport. You take someone’s hand and do NOT let go. Tell me you understand. Say it.”

Alik nodded, “I will take a hand and not let go.”

It was a busy airport. LaGuardia was literally buzzing with activity.

I took Tony’s hand. He grinned at me. “You said…”

Tony chuckled, “You’ve been here before.”

“And?” I asked. “I will also do this when we take the train and subway! You can do it from years of experience. We can’t.”

We exited the plane and went to meet whomever was picking us up. I wasn’t too surprised to see Nick. He had grown! In his mid-twenties he had finished growing. He was perhaps an inch taller than Tony. He had filled out and now he more resembled his father than he had. He hugged Tony and me.

“Sasha, David, Alik,” Tony patted his son proudly. “This is MY Alik! My son Nicolas!” He looked at Nick. “Nick, our friends and family, David McKenzie, Sasha Lebedev, and Alik Lebedev.”

Alik pointed at Nick, “He’s your SON!?” He asked in disbelief.

Tony put his arm around Nick’s shoulder, “Can’t you tell? He’s a chip off the old block.”

Alik and Sasha looked confused so I explained, “This is the block,” I patted Tony. Then patted Nick. “He’s the chip from Tony, so they look alike.”

“He’s big!” Sasha stated. “I didn’t really expect the age.” He admitted.

“Good to meet you,” Nick greeted shaking their hands. “Welcome to New York.” He elbowed his father, “I rented a van to bring you home. I think we’ll need it. How many suitcases did you bring this time?”

“Just two!” Tony answered irritated.

I chuckled, “Two big ones. For him.”

“Let’s get the extensive luggage,” Tony growled.

Even with Nick’s rental of the van, getting the luggage from the cart the airport provided, it was a tight fit. Six people and luggage for a week or two, but it fit. The trip from LaGuardia to West Babylon was familiar to me now. Long Island, or this part was just a big suburb now. Highways were the same everywhere. It was evening here, and the snow had fallen. It was not a Courier and Ives image with the paintings with the snow. It wasn’t snowing now, but it was cold. It was New York! Of course, there was snow. We entered the neighborhood where Tony had grown up and again I was somewhere I knew.

The house where Angelo and Kathleen had raised their three children was also familiar.

“Welcome to the House of Delveccio!” Nick announced looking back at us. “Uncle Al, Aunt Kathy, David,” he looked at David McKenzie, “My cousin David who lives with me here is here. He and I will be staying at their house tonight. There are only so many bedrooms.” He shrugged. “Aunt Kathy is cooking dinner.” He said and got out.

Our nephew David came out as did Al and would help get the luggage in. Tony was going to introduce our family extension, but waved that off to do it at once…inside. It was cold outside!

Entering the familiar house, everyone else came to greet us. Melissa was a very pretty girl, but now this young college age woman greeted Tony and I with her normal exuberance! Body slamming Tony and me. Her hugging of me first was her way of telling me I was a welcomed member of the family.

Tony and I were put in Tony’s old room. Naturally. David and Sasha got Angelo’s and Kathleen’s old room, Tony’s and his sisters’ parents, and it looked like it had when they were alive. More or less. The doylies and other things were not there. Thank God! I hated those…and paisley! The ameba looking patterns just creeped me out. Why? I don’t know. They just did.

Then we did the introductions explaining to everyone that while Sasha and Alik spoke English…Alik understood more now, but David, my cousin, and Alik spoke no Italian. Sasha understood some, but there would be times David, Tony, and I would have to speak in Russian to get them to understand.

Melissa shrugged smiling, “We do it with Uncle Mike. Aunt Louise has to explain things to Uncle Mike in French.” She smiled bigger. “We are truly an international family!”

“Dad,” Nick grinned, “You speak Russian?”

“Nemnogo,” Tony answered.

“That’s Russian for, a little,” Sasha filled in.

“Aren’t you speaking French yet?” Al asked me.

“Je travaille là-dessus!” I answered. “That was Canadian French for I’m working on it.”

Al shook his head, but was smiling, “You two are always putting us to shame.”

I shrugged, “I am motivated!” I said my usual statement. “Italian because of Tony and you guys.” I brought Alik against me, “Russian in case he needed the bathroom when he first arrived…” I covered Alik’s ears as I stage whispered, “Their alphabet is a son of a bitch!”

Alik smirked, “I STILL heard you Uncle Mitch.” He muttered.

“Sorry.” I said to him. “And poor Michelle! You call him Mike, but he’s Canadian! He’s all alone in a house full of Italians!”

Kathy chuckled, “He’ll love having an ally.” She looked in the direction of the kitchen and back to us. “I’ve made Eggplant Parmigiana.” Chuckling she added, “I wasn’t taking the chance that anyone was a vegetarian. So, I made this!”

“These new family members are all carnivores,” I smiled. “Trust me.”

My cousin David said, “I thought I smelled the Delveccio Gravy! Mitch made it last Tuesday.”

“I had to!” I stated. “To prove I am a Delveccio and Italian.” Which brought laughter.

“He made it just like Mama did,” Tony said, but I saw something in Tony’s expression. “He is a Delveccio and Italian.”

I was standing right next to Tony but took his hand. It was telling him I knew what he was about to do and I supported him.

“I’ve got something to share withal of you,” Tony said shakily and tightened his grip on my hand. The family got serious as people just knew it was bad. “Sasha, you might need to translate for Alik.” He took a deep breath, “I’ll tell Louise and them, but…” he paused, “On January fifth, I will have a port put in, to begin treating me for stage one cancer.”

The Delveccio family had heard this sort of news before. Al was a doctor and Kathy was a nurse, They knew what Tony was saying. Melissa frowned and our nephew David was upset but remained silent. Nick was more alarmed and was on the verge of shock and tears. Questions you could see in his eyes.

I hurriedly added, “Stage one! It was detected very early! Tony has a ninety percent chance of beating this! He struggled with telling you at all.”

Nick walked closer to his father, “You have cancer, Dad.”

I touched Nick’s arm, “Your father is young, other than the cancer he’s healthy and he has a ninety percent chance of defeating this. He’s going to fight this!”

Tony looked at me and brought my hand up, kissing my hand, “WE are going to fight this!”

“Ninety percent is not one hundred percent!” Nick argued. “He HAS cancer! Like Nanno?”

I nodded, “The cancer is the same as Papa’s cancer, but we caught it at the beginning! Your Dad can BEAT this!” I looked at them. “He needs your support!”

Kathy walked to Tony and hugged him tightly, but gently, “Of course, he has it. We’re family.”

Nick hugged his father, “It’s just a shock, Dad. You said it was when for us. I just didn’t expect the when would be so soon!”

Tony nodded, kissing his son on the cheek, he held his son out a little, “Nor did I.” He grabbed me and hugged me close, “This man is my rock. He has been there the whole time and will be there the rest of the way.”

I chuckled, “You heard the vow through sickness and in health. I swore I’d be there.” I shrugged, “How can I not be? He means EVERYTHING to me! I’m there!”

Melissa nodded, “And WE will be there, for Uncle Tony and you.” She swore.

“Stage one!” Tony reminded them again. “Not two, three or near four! There’s a chance of dying in an automobile accident!” His head bobbed, “Which we almost do every time Nick’s at the wheel!” Nick swatted his father but smiled. Tony added, “I hope we all will be together for decades more. I will do what I can to be here.” He pointed at Nick, “You get checked every year!” He pointed at our nephew David. “That means you,” he pointed at Melissa, “and you! Cancer is a Delveccio thing. Get tested!”

“We will,” Melissa nodded. “This year, though…” she pointed at Tony. “I’m going with you guys to the Midnight Mass at the MCC in Manhattan! I’ve wanted to go before. Now, I’m going!”

“Me, too!” Our nephew David nodded. “It maybe because you have cancer, but I think we need to show support! I’m going, too.”

Alik was being spoken to softly in Russian by his father. Alik was listening and looking at Tony. He rushed to Tony and hugged Tony tightly.

“It’s NOT a death sentence!” Tony grinned hugging Alik tightly.

“No,” I nodded. “Tony will LIVE!”

 

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 18
  • Wow 2
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

👑R.Eric,

Thank You So Much For This Latest Chapter Fine Sir , I Missed Reading This Story . 

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

R.Eric ,

Delveccio Gravy Huh , A Recipe to Share Perhaps lol . The Family took The C-News Well , Showed a Strong Family Front for Tony too . Hugs to you too mentioning your late Husband Daniel , May His Name AlWays Be A Blessing Upon You and Your Grieving Family & Friends 🙏

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

@R. Eric,  I look forward to reading more of this but also more of Ark II, Makarovia, I Will Always Love You, and Bluebloods as well.  Thank you for continuing this.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..