Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 8,962 Words
  • 7,199 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 89. Cancer and Christmas

Yes, I still live. I'm going through some depression, but I'm still writing. I'm getting the magic of writing back. So, it's Christmas at the end of June. Who cares?

There was the usual care expressed to Tony. I was happy he decided to tell everyone. It was going to be hard to keep it from family. Tony reassured everyone that he was fine and would be fine. This was where he was a puzzle. He didn’t like the focus on himself about this illness. He wanted others to know he was on top of everything and in control. Cancer was making him appear weak so that control was out of his hands. The people here now were family and promises to support were given. During this mayhem that arose, I stood off watching with a smile.

In a few minutes, Melissa came over to me and leaned in to speak more privately. “How is he really?”

I grudged a shrugging nod, “He’s holding on.” Then I looked at her more directly. “We’re at the very beginning of this. He’s scared.”

Melissa nodded, “I bet so.”

“We have some very good treatment centers in Charleston. Some of the best in the world,” I nodded and knew I was saying it more for my own sake as well as for Melissa.

She smiled at me, “I can’t imagine anyone better in his corner than you.” Getting closer, she kissed my cheek. “I don’t need to tell you that the Delveccios are not exactly forthcoming with how they feel.”

I chuckled, “No. That I know. Your Grandfather suffered for years before anyone knew he was in pain. I think we got Tony to deal with this in time.” I gave her a serious look. “They were right. It isn’t a matter of if you’ll get it, but when. You get checked. Every year!”

Melissa nodded, “I promise.” Then her previous self surfaced, “I’m coming to see you this year. No arguments. And this year,” she tapped me on the chest and said, “I’m going to the midnight service at the MCC in Manhattan!”

Laughing, I nodded once, “It’s a free country.”

Melissa jutted her head in Sasha’s and Alik’s direction, “What about them?”

I grinned as the others were crowding around Cousin David, Sasha, and Alik. “They are Tony’s and my support. They’ll be there all the time.”

Melissa cocked her head at me, “I hear you’re building a new house.”

“We are,” I nodded. “Tony wanted a place for just the two of us.”

Melissa smiled, “I can’t wait to see it.”

 

Things were again almost normal as we acted like family again. Sasha, Alik, and Cousin David were now scooped up with everyone and family. The evening meal was served, and the large table was set for all there.

Sasha smiled, “I hear there is a great Russian market in New York.” He began.

Tony nodded, “Yes, there is. Why?”

I grinned, “There’s Little Odessa in Brighton Beach. There is a large group in Brooklyn.”

“Would anyone object to my cooking something from Russia?” Sasha asked. He waved at the table and all of the dishes there. “Italian cooking is wonderful. Would anyone object if I added a couple of Russian dishes?”

“Like what?” Tony asked. He looked at his sisters. “Sasha is a wonderful chef!”

“Really?” Louise asked.

“I was thinking about Kurnik Pie,” Sasha began. “It’s a chicken, potato, and onion mix, served almost every Christmas in Russia. There’s Smetannik which is a layer cake with a sweet, tangy, and sour cream icing.”

Louise nodded happily, “I think that would be wonderful! I incorporated some French dishes. Why not Russian?”

I gave Sasha a serious look. “There are many Russians in New York and definitely in those two areas.” I nudged my head in Alik’s direction, “You never know who will be there.”

Sasha nodded, “Well, I’m sure the things I will need can be gotten from a market near here.”

We were getting surprised looks so I said in Italian, “Sua madre è qui ora. Lo sorprenderemo la prossima settimana. Non voglio rovinarla incontrandola al mercato.” Explaining Tasha was here now, and we were surprising Alik. I got understanding looks.

“They do that when they don’t want me to know what they’re talking about,” Alik grumbled.

Tony nodded and grinned, “He is so smart! He figured that out years ago.”

Alik smirked and looked at his father. “Hey! I just realized…” he pointed at me. “Uncle Tony and Uncle Mitch will be the only people that speak all the languages here!”

Tony grudged a nod, “Well, Mitch will. He’s learning French!”

Mike said up further, “Really?”

I waved Tony down and said, “Je viens de commencer à apprendre le Français Canadien.” Telling him I just began learning Canadian French.

“Très bon!” Mike said happily.

“I’m motivated!” I said simply. “For me to be a part of the many lunches and dinners I had to learn Italian.” I looked at Sasha and Cousin David, “Which you will find a challenge to keep up with the conversations.” Then I shrugged and waved at Alik, “Then we had a five-year-old with no English I needed to be able to communicate with so Tony and I had to learn Russian…”

“And now French,” Nick said grinning.

I held a finger up, “But Canadian French.”

“French isn’t French?” Tony asked me.

“Is what you hear in Charleston English?” I asked. “It’s English! What they speak in Canada is French, but not the same French from Paris.”

“Which language was the hardest?” Melissa asked.

Tony and I both said, “Russian!”

“Russian is just so odd!” I added. “At least with French the same alphabet used with English and French are essentially the same. Cyrillic is not!” I looked at Sasha, “Oh, I owe you a tap dance. I recently had a dream in Russian.”

Sasha chuckled, “I wondered about that.”

Tony shrugged, “Even on the Queen Mary we run into Russians!”

Alik smiled remembering, “They made friends with Russia’s Raging Bull!”

“Who?” Kathy asked.

Alik was about to tell them, but I stopped him, “Ivan is a celebrity in Russia and many European countries. He has fans in the millions! Very famous.”

“We never stop hearing Russian,” Tony pointed out. “At home and on vacation.”

“If you use it,” I said. “You won’t lose it.” I looked at Mike, “Which means I will be calling you, Louise, Drew or someone to speak with.”

“Je l’attends avec impatience!” Mike said with a smile. Telling me he looked forward to it.

 

The whole feeling of the visit was again upbeat. As everyone helped clean up the dinner plates and used utensils Kathy spoke with me quietly.

“You and Tony are going to be a thousand miles away,” Kathy began. “I know everything that can be done is being done.” She looked at me. “Al and I won’t be there, but if the need arrives, and you need us…we’ll be there.” She forced me to look at her. “I know you’re doing all you can.”

I nodded, “I am.” I sighed. “He was more concerned about telling you than anything else. He has my support and we both have a good support system in place.” I grudged a nod, “We minimized the seriousness of this, and it may be a simple thing to deal with. I know there are many stories about people who have defeated cancer, but I also know there will always be a concern about recurrences. That will be my big concern.” I smiled. “He will be monitored closely.”

Kathy smiled sadly, “The concern with his cancer will be the treatments. The radiation will burn a delicate part of his anatomy. It will be hard for him to eat.”

“Dr. Keogh has recommended an Ensure Plus. He just needs to keep his strength up while he goes through the first six months,” I said.

“Keep Al and me in the loop,” Kathy instructed. “Delveccios are lousy at sharing things with others. You don’t do that.”

 

It was in Tony’s old room that I watched Tony come back in the room from the bathroom.

“After the new year starts,” I said quietly. “We need to tell my parents.”

Tony nodded, “We can do that before the treatments start on the fifth.” He grinned a little sadly. “They will know not to tell your uncles, right?”

“And prove that it’s Devine comeuppance for our lives!?” I shook my head, “No, they won’t tell anyone.”

Tony came over and pulled me down on the bed, “You are planning to fly to Boston on the twenty-seventh.”

I nodded, “Yes, we’re flying out of the Long Island MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma.”

“Alik will probably be visiting his mother until the new year,” Tony grinned. “Sasha and David are going, of course.”

I nodded, “It’s their wedding we’re planning for.” I looked at Tony, “Are you planning to stay here? We’re just flying up for the day.”

Tony nodded, “I think I should stay,” Tony smiled with understanding in his eyes. “I need to spend time with Louise, Kathy, and especially Nick. Just to show them there will not be that much of a change.”

“We leave in the morning,” I turned to face him, “We fly back that evening. It will be quick.”

Tony chuckled, “When Sasha asked about the Russian market…” he shook his head, “I don’t know Igor and maybe Alik does, but the chances of Alik running into his mother until after we plan to meet at Rockefeller Center is remote.”

“There is about six hundred thousand Russians in New York,” I said. “We just need to be careful.”

“We can hold off until Tuesday,” Tony grinned kissing me.

 

We took Sasha to the market near us and he got some things he needed for his culinary creations. Saturday he prepared all he needed for his cake and Kurnik Pie. He got busy and had them ready for Sunday lunch. Sasha was blending in perfectly.

 

Sunday arrived and we took the train to Manhattan. Melissa was coming with us this time. David was making sure Alik had what he needed. Putting Alik’s dress coat on Alik and had his gloves.

“It gets cold up here at this time of year,” David was explaining to Alik.

Sasha chuckled at David’s protectiveness, but there was love working. Alik loved David. David clearly loved Alik. “He is Russian. It gets cold there, too.”

David nodded making certain Alik was wearing his coat properly. “Which Alik hasn’t been in for several years.” He hugged Alik to himself quickly. “Can you remember that long ago?” He asked Alik.

Alik grinned and nodded, “I was little then.”

“Having never been there,” I began. “I think Moscow is further North than New York, but I know New York is damper. It will feel colder.”

“We’re taking the train into Manhattan,” Tony said. “Normally, I almost never dare to drive into the city.” He shrugged, “Most New Yorkers won’t. Tomorrow we’ll take Al’s car to do what we need to do tomorrow.”

“Enough do,” I pointed out and chuckled. “That’s how the Long Island Expressway got the title of the largest parking lot.” Glancing at David, “Have you ever been downtown Manhattan?”

David nodded, “Twice.”

I smiled, “So, you’ve been on the subway?”

David’s eyes grew, “God, no! I was never that brave.”

I chuckled, “I make Tony promise not to let go, or I may be lost forever.”

David grinned back, “It’s the McKenzie gene.”

I glanced at Sasha, “You had subways in Moscow. My understanding is they are the neatest, well-maintained subways in the world.”

Sasha nodded and physically pointed at me, “That…I will agree to.” He grinned.

Melissa came in dressed for church. “Come on, guys,” she said happily. “We have a train to catch!”

Tony looked at his niece, “I hope you haven’t turned your back on the church totally.”

Melissa looked a bit uncomfortable, “Not Catholicism totally, but the overall Church itself…let’s just say I’ve lost much of what I was raised with,” she admitted. “The judgement and condemnation is so prevalent. The truth is, I’m not sure I believe in God at all.” She sighed, “Not just for what they did to you Uncle Tony, but everyone! How we are to dress, what we are to believe, and how to act. I doubt they’d approve of Jesus Christ! He hung around lepers and tax collectors…hardly the sort of people the Church would approve of.”

Tony pulled her close and kissed her on the temple, “Just keep an open mind…”

 

We took the train to Manhattan and transferred to the correct subway train to the nearest stop to the MCC. Penn station and all of Manhattan were preparing for Christmas and decorated. Alik smiled getting off the subway and saw all the people moving to go where they needed and all the stores and shops in the underground. It was Sunday morning, but that didn’t slow anyone down. It was just a short walk to the MCC. It was cold and there was snow on the sidewalks, but they were cleaned often. Once at the church we were greeted by several that knew us. Mostly Tony.

“Tony!” Reverend Pat greeted hugging him tightly. She turned to me and did the same, “Mitch!”

“Reverend Pat,” Tony pulled Melissa closer. “I believe you know our niece Melissa.”

Reverend Pat nodded, “I do!” She hugged Melissa and looked at Cousin David, “I remember you, too!” The hugging continued. Looking at Sasha she smiled, “I don’t know you.”

David put his arm around Sasha and Alik, “This is my fiancé Sasha Lebedev and his and soon to be my son, Alik.”

Reverend Pat shook their hands, “I usually hug, but if you don’t know me…”

Sasha chuckled and hugged her. “I’ve lived with Tony and Mitch a while now. We’re fine with the hugs.”

Alik nodded, “They do it a lot with everybody.”

“Tony!” We heard from a voice across the church. Turned to see Gilbert coming over quickly, he hugged Tony and turned to me. “Mitch! It’s wonderful to see you two!” He then turned to my cousin David. “Another McKenzie! David, right?” He smiled looking at Sasha, “And this is the husband to be?” Again with the introductions and Gilbert moved forward. “I’ll be ready for you tomorrow with some samples and we can discuss the cake and what you want.”

“He was the one that made your wedding cake,” Sasha said to be clear.

I nodded, “He did. You served the top portion of it at our first anniversary on the Oosterdam.”

“Oh,” Sasha nodded. “I remember.”

Gilbert pressed his hands together and gushed, “They had the most beautiful wedding. An Italian-American and Scottish-American! Elements of both with bagpipes and the Tarantella at the service!!” He pointed at David, “Now, I’m doing a cake for a Scottish-American and Russian-American!” He shook his head in excitement, “I’m international! I’ve got some ideas!” He gushed. “I can’t wait to see what will happen at this wedding!”

I gave Tony a look which Tony rolled his eyes and avoided returning any look. I had lectured him about fags when we were about to go on my first cruise. He hadn’t wanted to get to know what he referred to as “fags,” but I pointed out that Gilbert was a big fag queen! I glanced at Reverend Pat and nodded in her direction. Tony nodded. Reverend Pat was born male. He couldn’t deny it now. He finally looked at me and shrugged.

Reverend Pat touched my arm, “We’ll talk. Am I right to assume you’re here for the Holidays?”

I nodded, “Three of us will fly to Boston next Sunday to get things underway for David’s and Sasha’s wedding. Tony will be here. We’ll all be here at midnight on Christmas Day.”

Reverend Pat nodded, “Your decision to legally marry Tony is a good one. You know it will be legal nationwide soon.”

“I hope so,” I said. “Until it does, this is the best way to get it done for now.”

She touched Tony’s arm, “I have to get ready for the service. We’ll be talking more this week.”

I see things differently now. Perspectives had changed. Tony and I had discussed it before, but Tony was with us now and I appreciated that fact more. His treatment was going to be difficult. I would be there every moment. It was easy to pretend it wasn’t happening because he looked and acted like he was fine, but cancer was there. We knew it and we could never forget. It was a great relief that the family knew now. The burden of carrying it alone was exhausting.

The service began and it was the special music before the service itself that amazed me. They performed a piece they were planning to sing at the midnight mass. A cantata.

It was following that great music cousin David looked at me, “Wow!” he whispered. “That put any music from any church I’ve ever heard to shame!”

I chuckled, “Of course, it is.” I whispered back and waved at the people in the choir. “Over half of them perform professionally!” I thumbed over my shoulder. “Broadway? Right over there? While they may not sing leads, they sing in the chorus. I know many in the choir here sing on Broadway! Right now you have three from Cats, four from Chorus Line, two from Phantom of the Opera, Wicked…”

David’s eyes widened, “Really!?”

I nodded and smiled, “At the midnight service, the choir will be triple in size!”

 

We returned to the Delveccio home to find Louise and Kathy had begun getting the Sunday lunch meeting started. Sasha had his Kurnik Pie. Essentially, it was a kind of Chicken Potpie. Which it was. None of the ingredients were uniquely Russian. Pepper, salt, chicken stock…cooks around the world had made the same things for many generations. Little has really changed.

Things that had begun decades before still happened. Sisters slipped from English to Italian happened without conscious thought. All it took was a simple phrase or two in Russian to Sasha for them to remember and they went back to English. The smells of garlic bread, gravy for the macaroni, and other Italian foods mixed with Sasha’s Russian dishes merged in the air. Laughter and chaos were as it always was. The Kurnik Pie was a hit, and the dessert was another hit.

 

Monday morning, Tony borrowed Al’s car and we rode into Manhattan. Traffic was as it always was, but the fact that this was the week of Christmas was not as bad as it could be. As was our pattern, we were not late. Gilbert was waiting and greeted us ushering us in.

Gilbert quickly went into the planning stage for his cake creation.

“So, this Game Room in Boston is where it will be held,” Gilbert said to confirm. He brought out his laptop and pulled up some images he had for this Hunting Club. A large image of an elegantly wood paneled room, with the heads of antlered bucks on the wall. Paintings of prey on the wall, thick leather chairs, sofa, polished dark wooden tables…guns on display! Very male. “What kind of cake were you thinking of?”

David shrugged and looked at Sasha, “The one you made for Tony and Mitch was not only delicious but said a lot. The rainbow-colored leaves over the white icing…”

“There is still some plans being made and finalized,” Sasha continued.

“Guys,” I grinned. “Name your theme.”

Sasha’s eyebrows rose, “Our theme?”

My head wavered slightly, “Every gay man knows every social event has to have a theme!” I touched Tony’s arm, “Tony’s and my theme was to blend Italy, Scotland, and America together.”

David grinned, “We’re doing it, too. Russia, Scotland, and America together.” He pointed at Sasha, “And you ARE Russian!” He waved at Alik, “So is Alik! You are becoming Americans but will always be Russian!”

“That’s why David and I are planning to have many Russian influences at this wedding!” I insisted.

“I’ve contacted some great entertainers to have everything from the Soldiers’ Dance to the Yakutian Round Dance!” David reported.

I grinned at David, “I think my kilt will fit you. It is the McKenzie kilt.”

Tony chuckled, “He has all that goes with it, too.”

“Yakutian Round Dance?” Tony asked.

“It’s sort of a Russian Tarantella,” I grinned.

“Wait,” David began. “I am from a Scottish family, but does that mean I have to be authentic if I wear the kilt?”

I grinned, “You can be as authentic as you want to be.”

“You were authentic at your wedding?” David smiled.

“Only two people know that for certain,” I replied. “Tony and myself.”

David leaned toward Sasha, “Meaning he was naked under his kilt.”

Sasha chuckled.

It was finally decided that the cake was to reflect both cultures, but the unique Russian architecture would be reflected on the cake. The top of the cake was to have the tall building with the famous domed pinnacle with the two wedding toppers of two men marrying.

“…and what about a tartan pattern flowing down from the top?” Gilbert suggested.

“You can do that?” David asked amazed.

“Please,” Gilbert shook his head as he smiled. “That’s the easy part. It will be easy to do.” He raised his hand, “Now, for the cake itself.”

Alik really enjoyed this part as he got to sample delicious cake before he even had lunch!

We got finished and left Gilbert to go shopping. That wasn’t my thing. Sasha, David, and Alik went as well. Tony insisted on the best stores. I will say this, any child under ten who behaved so well doing something he wasn’t really interested in deserved praise. Sasha and David should have praised Alik as well.

“Why am I getting this?” Alik asked Tony with minor irritation in his voice. Alik came out of the dressing room in a beautiful black tuxedo. A tuxedo that had a vest and tie, not a bowtie.

Tony looked at his sleeves and adjusted what he saw, “Because, tomorrow is a special day,” Tony answered. “We’re going skating at Rockefeller Center and tomorrow night we see the Christmas Spectacular with the Rockettes! You can’t be underdressed.”

When we finally got back to the house and after we carried all their purchases in, Alik plopped down sounding exhausted. “I liked Gilbert and the cakes, but all that shopping!”

Sasha patted his son’s knee, “It is important for Uncle Tony to show us Manhattan and to show Manhattan us!”

“It’s important to Uncle Tony,” David added. “Tomorrow will be much better. I promise.”

 

The next morning, we got them up and fed them breakfast. Taking them to Manhattan this time was easier. The magic of Christmas and the season just seemed grander seeing all the skaters and happy faces. The large Christmas Tree was impressive in the daylight. I remembered what it looked like at night.

Sasha put his phone back in his pocket having spoken privately to someone. Even though he didn’t say, I could tell by the smile on his face he had spoken to Tasha, and she was coming.

We were sitting getting our skates on. Even me. I never ice skated very much.

“Come on, Dad!” Alik said as he laced his skates up. “Put your skates on! I haven’t been skating in years!” He waved in my direction, “Even Uncle Mitch is skating!”

“I skate,” I defended. “I love skating!” I stated with a little indignation. “I roller skate just fine. I can even inline skate!” I stood up shakily. “I wasn’t raised in a part of the world where ice was just lying around! It isn’t natural for me.”

Tony chuckled and added, “You just need to strengthen your ankles.”

For the next hour we skated, and I fell often. The truth was that was part of our plot. Yes! A plot! Tony and Sasha helped, and not just me. David had not skated that much and was having to get accustomed to this…lovely activity. The ice rink at Rockefeller Center was crowded. It wasn’t the biggest ice rink, but it was a famous one.

I saw Sasha wave at someone who waved back but skated rapidly in Alik’s direction. How she remained so calm, I can’t imagine! Alik was younger and even talking to her by computer often, they had not seen each other in person for some years! Two people came up, and I fell. Was it planned? Sure, believe that if you want. Tony, Sasha, David, and Alik were there to help me back up. Alik was laughing as everyone tried to help but I wasn’t helping. I even pulled Alik down with me.

Tasha, dressed for the winter in Manhattan, a stocking cap over her head and warm scarf around her neck; what is could plainly see were the tears of joy that were coming from her eyes. “Vam nuzhnaya pomoshch vie vstavania?” She asked offering to help Alik to get up from the ice.

Alik suddenly inhaled a breath, turning at the voice he recognized instantly, “Mama?”

(The rest was in Russian)

“Yes, Baby,” Tasha nodded her tears came faster as she smiled at Alik. “It’s mama.”

“Mama!” Alik was no longer trying to help me up but was struggling to stand on his own skates. He was not getting it done. His excitement was hindering his getting up on his skates yet managed to rise enough and launched himself at Tasha. The bond between a mother and child was a force of nature. I could think of nothing stronger. Be it a mother lion or mother bear, no love could compare! He wrapped her arms around him hugging him tightly kissing his cheeks and covering his head with kisses. It seemed like she was trying to merge his body with hers.

Sasha, David, Tony, and I were smiling at what we saw. I noticed the man that had come with Tasha. Sasha skated over to the new man, and I will confess, he was no Sasha! Size wise, Igor was shorter at about five feet and ten inches. Sasha was a bronzed haired man while Igor had black hair. While Sasha had his background in the Russian military, Igor was not a soldier. Other than being men from Russia, that was the only similarity. Sasha was greeting Igor with a handshake and smile; he waved in our direction and waved us over.

“Igor Popov,” he said waving at us, “These are my wonderful friends and family here in the United States.” He introduced us to Igor.

We greeted Igor and he was surprised that we all greeted him in Russian.

“You all speak Russian?” Igor asked.

Tony bumped me lightly, “Mitch does it better than I do.”

David smiled and added, “He does it better than any of us.”

Tasha was marveling over how her son had grown and assured him she was in the United States now and wasn’t going back to Russia. She came closer to us but wasn’t letting Alik go. I knew Alik wasn’t letting her go either. She hugged Sasha and then the rest of us. “I missed thirty centimeters of Alik!” She looked at her son.

“He grows like a weed,” Tony grinned.

Tasha smiled, “Your Russian has improved!”

“It sort of had to,” I said happily. “When you’re surrounded by Russians it naturally happens.”

Tasha’s eyes widened, “You have no real accent now!”

“I shrugged, “Ispolzuyte ego eli poterelle.” It was the English saying for use it or lose it. Some phrases were not used in Russian. Tasha had not heard it.

“And they have used it a lot,” Sasha grinned. “Even on vacation!”

Tasha nodded, “I heard you met Ivan Belov.” She hugged Alik tight again. “He spoke about it often.”

Alik stood straighter a second, “Wait! Can they come to the Christmas Spectacular with us?”

Tony chuckled, “They are! I bought tickets for all the Delveccios and McKenzies. Igor and your mother are part of the McKenzie family. We planned for that!”

Alik’s left eye narrowed, “You PLANNED for this?” He accused. “You KNEW she was here!?”

Tasha turned Alik’s head, so he was looking at her, “Don’t blame them. I worried that there would be a problem and I couldn’t come when I did. I didn’t want to disappoint you. Then I had to reset my biological clock. I wanted it to be a Christmas surprise.” She shook her head, “I was only an hour away from you and couldn’t see you!? It was agony!”

Alik smiled and hugged her again, “I don’t care.” Then he pulled his mother’s arm. “Let’s skate!” He led her out toward the center of the ice.

Igor chuckled as he saw how happy they were. “I’m glad he’s back in her life.”

“You have a house in Bensonhurst, isn’t that right?” Sasha asked.

Igor nodded, “Yes, there will always be a room for Alik.” He looked hesitantly at Sasha. “I’m hoping he will want to stay occasionally. I know you and Tasha have separate lives, but I agree he needs stability. Whether it’s with Tasha and me, or you and David. It should be the same.”

Sasha nodded, “I’ve enjoyed having him these few years. I missed so much of his life during the baby years.”

“I know he has school in Charleston,” Igor started. “I know he has friends there and…”

Tony raised his hand, “Sasha, you might consider sending him to a school here.”

Sasha’s eyes widened and then he remembered, “I haven’t told Tasha or Igor about that.”

Tony smiled sadly, “I will.” He took a deep breath. “I’m having to start treatment for esophageal cancer at the beginning of the new year. It’s treatable, but I will probably be sick due to the chemotherapy and radiation. I don’t want to upset Alik.”

Igor frowned, “I’m sorry. You said it’s treatable.”

“He’s in phase two and he’s got a good chance of beating it,” I added. “It will make him sick though.”

“I just don’t want to traumatize him,” Tony said.

Sasha nodded, “We’ll talk it over. As a family.”

“We’ll be honest with Alik,” I said more to Tony who nodded.

 

We did have a good day and left the rink to get lunch.

“Anything but Italian!” David grumbled. “I’ve had enough Italian and Russian meals for a while.”

I chuckled, “This is Manhattan. There are Italian restaurants everywhere!”

“How about a great American steak?” Tony suggested. He pointed in a direction. “The Club A Steakhouse is right over there.” He glanced at his watch. “I made a reservation to be there in an hour.”

I smiled at Igor, “Tony always plans ahead.”

The other truth was this cancer was taking control away from Tony. He would be sick after the treatments and that was something he didn’t want Alik to see if it could be helped.

 

We had lunch at the Club A Steakhouse and rode the train back to West Babylon. Well, all but three went to West Babylon. Alik went with Tasha and Igor to Bensonhurst. We would bring what Alik would wear to the show with enough time for him to change and we all would go together.

We went as a group to the Rockettes’ Christmas Spectacular. Over a dozen of us dressed formally. We took the train into Manhattan. Public transportation was the way to travel in New York City and the surrounding areas. A poor man and a rich man would ride side by side often. We could all drive, but why? Tony looked great and he smelled even better. The cologne he only wore on occasions like this made me almost regret leaving the house. Almost. Tony and I gathered with the others in the Delveccio family. All were elegantly dressed. It isn’t fair, but the female members of the family wore gowns of color. The men wore suits or tuxedos of black. Even Nick was going as was nephew David. Nick and nephew David wore nice suits, but not tuxedos. Thick overcoats and a couple of fur coats. Sasha, Cousin David, Tony, and I drove to Bensonhurst to the address of Igor Popov and Tasha. From there we would meet the train and family to go downtown. It was a house that had four apartments. Igor’s and Tasha’s apartment was on the bottom corner. I thought of the house I’d rented after moving to Charleston. This was just across New York Bay from Manhattan. As Alik put his tux on Tasha walked over to Tony and me.

“Igor told me what you told him about your cancer,” Tasha began quietly. “He told me that it will be a hard treatment, but a potentially successful treatment.”

Tony nodded, “Did he mention to you about taking Alik while I’m having the treatments?” He held up a hand, “I will have some bad days if not weeks. Mitch and I love Alik and never want to hide anything from him, but I don’t want him unnecessarily upset.”

Tasha smiled as she touched Tony’s arm, “You two have been amazing Human Beings. You took Sasha in, took Alik in, and never once asked for anything in return. What ever can be done to help Alik and help you won’t be too much.”

I shrugged, “He is your son. Sasha and you will make what arrangements to be done. You are the parents.”

Tony grinned, “Sasha is a good man. From what I’ve seen and know about you, you are good too.” He nodded. “We are glad to help.”

 

We rode the train into Manhattan, but I noticed Tony was smiling at me.

“What?” I asked as we waited for the subway.

“Yankee,” Tony said to me as he grinned wider. “No one would guess you aren’t a native.”

I know my eyes opened wider. I was surprised but thinking how many times I had been here…it made sense. “This isn’t alien territory for me now.” Then I poked him on the chest, “but I have never been or will ever be a Yankee! I am a proud man from the American South. Deep South! Nothing will change that!”

Tony smiled as he shook his head pulling me into a hug, kissing me, “And don’t ever change.”

“No wonder you don’t see many fat New Yorkers!” David moaned. “They walk everywhere!”

 

We weren’t on the front row, but on the fifth row. Tony said it allowed for the best viewing. This wasn’t my first time, so I knew the seats we had were the best. I don’t know if Igor had been here before, but Cousin David, Sasha, Alik, and Tasha had not, they were spellbound. The set was wonderful, the music was amazing…the toy soldiers, the trees for Christmas covered with snow and lights. The music was awe inspiring with familiar carols sung and I admit there was none I’d heard better. This was New York. Manhattan. The people of New York would accept nothing else but spectacular.

Again, it was later when we went somewhere to get a late dinner. We took everyone to the Dim Sum Palace. No takeout here. Fine dining was what you did.

Nick looked at his father at the table and said quietly, “Tomorrow I’m seeing Mom. Do you want to tell her about what’s happening with you?”

Tony gave a grudging nod, “I have to tell Jean. She maybe fine hearing it from you, but I’ll be there to tell more.” He looked at his son, “You do know I can beat this, right?”

Nick nodded, but you could see he wasn’t totally convinced, “That’s what you told us.” His slight smile appeared on his face, but not a lot of humor. “Delveccios aren’t really known for sharing feelings or pain.”

I touched Tony’s hand, “He will tell me.” I had Tony look me in the eyes, “Isn’t that right?”

Tony smiled touching his forehead to mine. “I promise.”

Nick seemed to be satisfied and returned to his normal self, “Tomorrow is Broadway. What are you seeing?”

Tony smiled appreciating the change of topic, “It’s one of those Christmas shows. A Christmas Story. It has some great reviews.”

I grinned at Nick, “And the best thing,” I thumbed at Tony. “He hasn’t seen it either!”

Nick’s eyes widened, “The story you see at Christmas?”

Tony nodded, “Based on that story. Just a little more elaborate. There are some good singers in it.” He shook his head, “You had plans, my nephew David had plans…the only ones going is Tasha, Igor, Alik, Sasha, and David.” He smiled at me, “You just like it that we’re on even ground.”

“That’s right,” I nodded.

Tony grinned and used his chopsticks to take one of my Peking Shrimp and popped it in his mouth. He chewed once and then was sucking in air and fanning his mouth with his hand, “Hot, hot, hot!” He quickly picked up is beverage and swallowed quickly.

“I ordered it with the extra peppers,” I grinned and chuckled. “It’s very hot.”

Tony shook his head. “And you want that!?”

“Almost every time,” I said. I used my fork and took a little of his Chicken Congee. I munched and nodded, “That’s pretty good, but I prefer my food to bite back if it can.”

“That hurts eating it,” Tony grimaced. “Does it hurt coming out?”

I chuckled again, “Not a bit. And you shouldn’t be surprised. The first meal we ate together on that Sunday we met I ordered the Devil’s Pasta with Sausage.”

Tony nodded, “Amici’s.” A fond smile came across his face. “I remember.” Then he shook his head. “I don’t believe it was this hot.”

“It wasn’t,” I grinned.

 

Manhattan didn’t sleep anymore than Chicago, Las Vegas, or any other big city. We ended this evening with enough time to return to the house. Alik wanted to stay with his mother and Igor. Sasha was okay with that, but you could tell he agreed reluctantly. Alik had been separated from his mother and now she was back. Sasha would not stop him. Plans for the future would be discussed. Later.

 

The next day began for me with the smell of someone cooking. Tony was still beside me, so it wasn’t him. Kathy was at her house. Maybe it was Louise. It wasn’t early, but there couldn’t be but so many people that it could be. I got up and down to the kitchen. It was Sasha.

“Dobroye utro,” I said “good morning” in Russian quietly so I wouldn’t startle him.

Sasha looked up with a grin, but there was something on his mind. He was preoccupied. “Dobroye utro.”

“I love it when you cook,” I saw what he was preparing. “You do know this is supposed to be a vacation. You didn’t have to do this.”

Sasha grudged a shrugging nod, “I know.” He chuckled. “I just got used to fixing breakfast for Alik to get him to school…I just felt like doing it for you.”

I saw him flip what looked like pancakes, “Draniki?” I asked. It was a thin and crispy version of a pancake. It wasn’t sweet but savory. I could smell the garlic and onion as he cooked.

“I hope the others like them,” Sasha admitted.

“You’re a great cook, Sasha,” I chuckled. “I don’t you’ve made anything we haven’t loved.” Looking around I saw round buns sprinkled with sugar. “You got Vatrushka?” I saw the red balls of… “Is that cherries or…”

Sasha shook his head. “No, they are raspberries!” He said brightly. “I was surprised going to where Igor and Tasha lived, they have many stores there where it’s labeled in Russian! There was a market there that had those cheesecake pastries. I could swear I was back in Moscow!” He waved in the air, “Many there speaking Russian as well as English!”

“People want to be at home,” I nodded. “It’s supposed to be comfortably familiar.” I ventured into a sensitive subject. “I know you wanted to go to the Cordon Bleu…while there isn’t one in New York there are several really good culinary schools in Manhattan. You can move here.”

Sasha’s eyes widened slightly and then he nodded, “We could.” He sighed sadly. “Tasha and I knew we weren’t going to be together. We have separate lives. I’m getting married to David and Tasha is marrying Igor. We’re at least in the same country now, but we are in separate states. There is time to go to any school I like. Alik is in school in Charleston, and he has friends.” He looked at me . “David’s in school in South Carolina.” He grudged another nodding shrug, “We just have to plan what to do.”

I smiled at Sasha, “You and Tasha have done all this for Alik?”

Sasha looked a little guilty, “Mostly for Alik, yes. He has a chance to go to schools where he can be what he wants to be. He’s as safe as any child could be. I can go to any school and be a chef. Hopefully, start a restaurant here. Opportunities come, but you have to pursue them. Tasha wants to go to school and become a nurse. Now, she can.”

“What does Igor do?” I asked.

“He’s a college chemistry professor,” Sasha said.

I know my eyes widened, “Really?”

Sasha nodded, “He has a doctorate in chemistry.”

“Wow,” I marveled. “What college?”

“St. Joseph’s University,” Sasha smiled. “I was so intimidated by him at first.” He again gave a grudging nod, “Not for Tasha, but Alik!” He chuckled. “Igor’s so smart.”

I frowned, “You’re just as smart…if not smarter!” I waved at what he was doing. “You’re a chemist! Cooking is chemistry! You make all those chemicals come together and taste good!”

Sasha snickered, “Thank you.”

“It makes sense!” I pushed. “Math and science are subjects that do exactly the same things, but with different titles. Language is one thing, but chemicals are the same no matter what language.” The profession never occurred to me. “He doesn’t have that geeky professor vibe at all.”

“I know,” Sasha almost moaned. “I know what you talked about with sending Alik away during the treatment. He loves you and Tony a lot. It will bother him to see it.”

“Tony doesn’t want anyone to see him weak,” I explained.

Sasha looked surprised for only a moment, then shook his head. “He has an illness.. He is NOT weak.”

“He doesn’t want anyone to worry or be concerned about it,” I shrugged. “He made a huge exception when he told the family. Especially his son Nick. It took him weeks to get to the point he could tell anyone.” I waved at Sasha. “He told you first because he knew I needed the extra strength to get through this.”

Sasha nodded, “I remember when my father was diagnosed with his cancer. He did the same thing. It’s not just Tony.”

“The Delveccios have a problem with that,” I said. “As I told Tony, the cancer he has won’t kill him quickly. It will take time. He has time.”

Sasha hugged me, “You know we’ll be there.” He pointed at me. “We might send Alik here to New York so he won’t see Tony’s struggle, but David and I will be there for him and for you.”

We would do everything that Tony needed to fight this thing.

 

It was Christmas time! We guided everyone back to remembering that. Again, we took the train to Manhattan. It was a little easier as not everyone was going.

We got to the theater, and I wasn’t surprised to see men and women of all ages there with children. Almost everyone knew The Christmas Story. Little Ralphie Parker’s desire for the Red Ryder Carbine Action 200 shot air rifle. This wasn’t the movie. This was theater! I knew the story. Not as well as some Christmas programs, but it was very good. The young man that played Ralphie had an incredible voice and was a talented actor. There were solos and combined singers’ voices that were as good as you could get. The duet sung with her by Ralphie and his mother where she sang again and again why he shouldn’t get the air rifle because he could shoot his eye out, to which Ralphie sang a counter duet song swearing he promised to be careful. He claimed he wanted nothing else and was not a little kid! It was funny!

 

After the great show, we went to get something to eat again. Manhattan was not short on places to eat. Steak, Asian, Italian galore, fast food…you name it! They had it. Tonight was Indian! I was surprised to see this restaurant had spiced beef stew. It wasn’t hot with spices, but it had flavor. Cows were sacred in many parts of India. Not all the people in India thought the same.

“We’re going to church tomorrow night,” Tony said to everyone. “Mitch and I will be traveling by car. You might consider doing the same.”

Igor looked puzzled, “Why? The train runs twenty-four hours…even on Christmas.”

I looked at Tony and then answered Igor, “Tony and I have a tradition on Christmas.” I smiled at Tony, “We do the carriage ride around Central Park. He proposed to me Christmas day in the early morning.”

“Seems like just yesterday,” Tony said simply. Then he looked at Alik and jabbed his fork in his direction, “My suggestion for you will be to try to nap during the day because it will be late when you get back.”

“It will be Christmas Eve,” David shrugged. “Everybody should try to nap before the long day.”

“The service begins at eleven-thirty,” I added. “We should plan to be there by ten-thirty.”

Tony smiled at me, “He’s never late.”

 

It was nearly noon when Jean, Tony’s ex-wife arrived. She and Nick had spent the day before together. She was a beautiful woman. She still had the dark auburn hair that cascaded down past her shoulders. Greeting me first, she turned to Tony. They were divorced, but she would always be in our lives as Nick’s mother.

“You have cancer?” Jean asked. “Nick told me and also said it’s being treated.”

Again, there was the explanation and telling he had a good chance to beat this horrible disease. They were both leading separate lives now, but they cared for each other today.

“Fine,” Jean nodded resolving herself to the situation. She folded her arms over her chest and looked at me, “I would like to be kept informed. I have no doubt you’ll be right there beside him. Keep me updated!” She poked me lightly on the chest. She sighed, “At least it’s not like Angelo.” She mentioned Tony’s father. “There’s no guessing how long he suffered in silence.”

I literally drew a cross over my heart, “I promise.”

“Stay for lunch?” Tony asked her with a smile and looked as Sasha came in from the kitchen. Tony held his arm out in Sasha’s direction, “Jean, this is our great friend and family Sasha Lebedev. He’ll be marrying Mitch’s cousin in June!” He looked at Sasha, “We have enough for one more, right?”

Sasha shook his head and smiled, “You’re making me be the one to tell her if I don’t!” He chuckled. “I’m making some open-faced pizza burgers.” He looked at me and then to Tony, “It’s not Russian, but will be good for a cold day.”

“In an Italian household!?” I gaped. “You’ve got to be kidding.”

Sasha shrugged, “Where better to try it?” He patted Tony on the back, “Especially Tony.”

“He does have a certain way to make pizza,” I nodded. Then I pointed at Tony and Sasha, “I’m making lunch on Saturday. I’m making White Chili!”

Tony’s eyes widened, “White Chili!? With what ?”

“Chicken!” I stated simply.

“It’s a hot chili?” Sasha asked.

“I’m making two pots,” I told Tony. “One pot will be hot as in three or four alarm chili. The other will be barely one. I know you don’t care for something too hot.”

Tony smiled, “Thank you.”

Sasha looked at Jean, “I made plenty. Stay for lunch.”

 

Igor, Tasha, and Alik joined us for lunch as well. It was Christmas Eve! That was a huge shot in the arm giving everybody energy. The presents under the tree were tempting everyone. Alik was doing a search to see what present was for whom. Yes, he would have trouble taking any nap. It was just as bad for me. Angelo’s and Kathleen’s house was getting crowded. Erin and her husband and son were there. Kathy, Al, Nephew David, Melissa, Mike and Louise.

New York traffic was always a problem. It never took any day off. Christmas Eve was just as bad, if not more. Everyone had places to go…or so it seemed. Not everyone celebrated Christmas. The people out now were all dressed warmly and had destinations. This night all of the Delveccios, McKenzies, Lebedevs…everyone was going for the midnight service at the Manhattan Metropolitan Community Church. Tony knew just as I did they were making a statement to everyone else that they were supporting Tony. Tony had again borrowed Al’s car to take us downtown. I was getting comfortable with the idea of taking the subway. I preferred not to do it solo yet. I would not be comfortable driving. I would if I had to, but Tony was raised here.

Parking was another major problem. Finding a place to park in Manhattan was a challenge. Al was a doctor. To do his job he had the privilege of parking in the lot of many of the hospitals in Manhattan. Mount Sinai Doctors Medical was more central to both the church and Central Park. We weren’t breaking the law. We weren’t doctors, but the sticker on the car allowed the car to be there. The day or hour wasn’t important. People bought parking spaces! Really. It would be as much as a house! That’s the reason many in Manhattan didn’t even have a car or even a driver’s license. Why would they? There were parking garages everywhere and it was secure. Yes, it was a few blocks from the church. Manhattan city blocks. It was cold out and the thick coats we wore didn’t allow much contact with each other.

Tony and I got to the church by ten-thirty. Factoring in delays and any roadblocks had been done so I kept my reputation of never being late. Others were arriving and mingled with each other. Festive garments were worn by some with sweaters or shirts with various winter snow scenes.

I saw the pins of red poinsettia, the reindeer with a blinking red nose, one had a Christmas tree with the lights of the tree glowing. One woman had a sweater with a tree on the front with lights seen easily. Christmas was a celebration.

Tony and I saw our family arrive who began mingling. Someone had made the traditional Christmas cookies and had them out for all to share. Coffee, teas, and a special Christmas Tea had been brewed and we were all sharing the warmth of the tea and the emotion of the holiday.

The family coming to this church instead of where they normally went was a statement. Tony was right. The people at this church knew how to dress. They looked like they stepped off fashion runways! I wanted to take a picture of them and show those at the church in Charleston.

The church wasn’t small, but it was becoming a standing room only service. People stood in the back of the church, and along both walls. There were pews which people squeezed in to fit.

Reverend Pat got to the pulpit and greeted those that had come welcoming all for this service. Christmas songs were sung by everyone. Yet, the choir loft was empty. It was timed. Just before midnight, the church’s lights went out. The choir began coming in. So, they wouldn’t fall in the dark, there were lights on the floor as they came out and came out. I told cousin David the choir was three times the size of what it had been the Sunday prior. I may have been conservative with that number. They filled up the loft and some stood out in the front of the loft and down both sides. There were over a hundred! You could see they wore robes and could hear the fabric rustling. Then all the lights, including those little floor lights went out and the church was pitch black. Then a bell tolled once, then again eleven more times. It was midnight and it was now Christmas Day!

Lights instantly shone on the choir in white robes who raised their arms and sang proclaiming loudly, “Gloria!” In tune and with no prepping. A cappella. No instruments, just their voices! “Gloria! In Excelsis Deo!” They were the angels that sang the herald of Christ’s birth to the shepherds and the world! I told David most of these people sang on Broadway and other places in Manhattan. I felt the shiver down my spine! They probably had the angels that had done it originally feeling envious. This was Christmas and people were off and could be there to sing. Then it was song after song from “Away in a Manger,” by a precious little girl younger than Alik. “O Holy Night,” “O Come, O Come Emmanuel,” “The First Noel” and it went on. Finally, “Ave Maria.”

David looked at me, “Wow.”

I nodded, “Wow indeed.”

  

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 18
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@R. Eric Welcome back with a wonderful instalment. Please look after yourself and be around people who care. It's good to that you've got your writing magic back so that we can get regular instalments. Please be reassured that you loved by us. Many thanks. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, vinkarama said:

@R. Eric Welcome back with a wonderful instalment. Please look after yourself and be around people who care. It's good to that you've got your writing magic back so that we can get regular instalments. Please be reassured that you loved by us. Many thanks. 

Big Hugs to You too, We all love Your Stories but You Come First . This latest chapter made my day and put a smile on my face , Thinking positive thoughts & Strong energy sent your way Buddy ! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@R. Eric The correct  spelling of the italian family nane is ‘DelveccHio’. 

 Great chapter. Good to see you back. Take care of yourself. Good speed and a speedy recovery..

Edited by Tonyr
  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Tonyr said:

@R. Eric The correct  spelling of the italian family name is ‘DelveccHio’. 

 Great chapter. Good to see you back. Take care of yourself. Good speed and a speedy recovery..

Probably the name was Americanized at some point.

I agree with others, @R. Eric, who have expressed the wish that you continue to take care of yourself.  I fight mild depression myself, so I know a small amount of what you are going through.  I have also fought prostate cancer, and now am fighting an early stage of malignant melanoma.  

I look forward to not only more chapters of this story, but also your "Ark II" and "Bluebloods 5.1 Red Alert" and all other stories you continue.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

So I just binged this story over the weekend (plus a couple days). What a story. I had tears in my eyes a few times… especially the last few chapters.  I see how so many of your stories have the same muse. 😄.  I love all of them, but this one… I could see when it became more than just a story. A bit of real life, a bit of fiction, a bit of cathartic release, a bit of righteous anger, a lot of love and all married together strongly enough to make a Delveccio gravy jealous.

I'm looking forward to the next installments of all of your stories!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..