Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 2,563 Words
  • 6,752 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 34. Chapter 34

We watched the city get smaller in the distance and the vast water ahead. This was a very exciting time for me. I will admit that being onboard this ship was like nothing I had expected. One, because everything was just…well, it was like it was almost overkilled to make us enjoy it. Service was almost instant. And the ship seemed to be…what it was. To enjoy and make sure everything was not just fine, but great! Wow! That was the business, I learned. I was a cruise virgin on my first cruise. Naturally, I was surprised. And this was a ship right now, served gay men. Seeing men holding hands, kissing or just with arms around each other without worrying who would be offended if they saw us was very liberating. Other than a couple of female crew members, as in servers…and most of them were cleaning up and I mean only a couple. As in two. There were no other females in the serving area. Most of the servers were male. I would find that about ninety-five percent of the servers were male on the entire ship. I saw one crewperson that was female, but she was a part of the nautical crew.

I looked at Tony. “Not that I object, but there doesn’t seem to be women.” I pointed out. “You can’t tell me all these men are gay.”

Tony looked at the men serving. “Maybe they are, maybe they’re not. But they are here for one thing.”

My eyebrows rose. “And that would be?”

He rubbed his fingers together. “Money. History alone has proven that gay men tip better. That’s saying nothing against anyone, but we have a tendency to pay more for good service. The fact that they are nice looking men and charming…and don’t mind that occasionally will get felt up by our less self-restricting gay men who don’t see it as wrong.” He shrugged. “The servers see it as fair compensation.”

I frowned. “But that’s treating them as objects!”

Tony nodded. “That’s what they are.” He sighed. “This ship is Dutch. But from what I’ve observed, most of the waiters, servers, and bartenders are from Eastern Europe, Russian, Ukraine, and those others. The passengers here now often save for months, even years to go on a trip where they are smiled at by a handsome man who knows he’s being smiled at because he is a handsome man. They pay to be pampered and treated for a week or two like we’re kings. These men serving know that and are willing to do that. For the money.”

“Isn’t that prostitution?” I asked.

Tony gave a shrugging nod. “Sort of, but what’s wrong with that? We want a nice trip. They need money. We exchange money for a nice trip. They smile at our jokes and treat us like kings for that reason. It’s a fair exchange. What’s wrong with that?”

I thought a moment and then shrugged. “Nothing I guess.” Then I pulled Tony into a kiss. “This is my first time. Be gentle.”

Tony grinned. “Until you ask for something less gentle, you got it.” Then he looked at the setting sun, then at his watch. “We haven’t even seen our stateroom. We have an eight o’clock seating for dinner. We might want to change.”

I nodded and looked for somewhere to put my glass down. Tony grinned taking the glass and putting it down on a nearby table and left it.

“It’s taken care of.” Tony reminded and put his arm around me leading me toward the elevators.

 

Okay, I’ve used the word often, but our language only has so many words to say the same thing. But our stateroom was a suite! It was huge!! Tony opened the door and I gasped. We walked into the dining area. To the left was a living room and door to a full bathroom. Before us was a balcony deck with a Jacuzzi, two deck chairs. Then walking in further there was a king sized bed to the right and dressers, another access the balcony with a small table to dine on and two more deck lounges. And another full bathroom with a full garden tub and separated shower. All the pictures I’d seen of ship cabins, staterooms or whatever were cramped. Some in which we would have to squeeze past each other to get by, not that that was a problem if we did rub against each other, but this was….spacious!

“Well?” Tony asked hoping I was happy.

“It’s beautiful!” I marveled at how splendid the furnishings and just the elegant way it was decorated.

Tony smiled. “It’s one of two biggest and best like it onboard.” He pointed out of the suite. “The other’s on the other side of the ship, same deck.”

My old habits were surfacing, but I squelched that voice that worried about the cost of everything. Like Tony kept reminding me. The money was there and was being used. It was our money.

In the bedroom, our luggage was waiting. Then I felt my stomach let me know we had skipped lunch. We were busy!

I went to the luggage. “We’ll unpack later. It’s almost eight. We’d better change.”

 

Tony came out ready for dinner. I grinned as he got closer. He was a handsome guy!

“Planning for something to happen tonight, are we?” I asked as he put his arms around me and I got that scent off him. He wore that cologne I loved.

He nodded. “I am.” He kissed me. “And every night for the rest of our lives.” Then shrugged. “And occasional afternoon, morning….”

I chuckled. “Come on, lover boy.” I took his hand and led him to the door. “But I’ll have a boner all night.”

“Good.”

 

Now, being an Elite passenger meant we were in the center of the dining room. Again, I’d seen pictures of the dining room, but this was again, over the top. I found myself looking as a hotel manager. The carpet was red patterned, better for hiding any stains, but I doubted they allowed one to stay long. The chairs were red, the tables elegantly set on white table clothes and fine china. Menus to look over in every place on every table. It was two floors with a center lighted sculpture that went from floor to the ceiling up the two floors. A center staircase took people from the first floor to the second with the second floor which had more tables. I was still staring as we were seated at our table. We had three other couples to share our table.

We rose as a couple came to sit. They were Scott and Glenn who were in their late fifties or early sixties. Then another, Seth and Eric who were in their forties. John and Ian were like we were in their thirties. Tony was right. This wasn’t a party ship and none of these men were dressed in jeans or casual. They looked professional and mature. But the couple I found interesting, Scott and Glenn...not that the others weren’t interesting, but they were celebrating thirty-five years together. Thirty-five years!! Eric and Seth had been together for sixteen years. John and Ian had only recently gotten together.

“So, let’s start this.” Scott grinned after we said who we all were. “I’m a lawyer. Glenn owns a furniture store chain. What do all of you do?”

The conversation was pretty easy. We found out Scott and Glenn had met while working at a resort their junior year of college and became friends. Returned the next year to the same resort where they became roommates and fell in love that summer. They lived in Rhode Island.

Eric was a writer who had been published and met Seth who was a politician and advocate for gay rights. They were even married having gone to Toronto and married there but lived in Philadelphia.

Ian and John were not yet living together. Ian in Atlanta and John in Los Angeles. How would this work out? That was why they were here, we were told, to see if it was worth one moving to the other.

All were nice looking men and the only ones a little heavy was Scott, but not fat, just reaching the age that men sometimes just spread. And Eric loved to eat but was watched by Seth, but Seth didn’t hound him about it. I got the feeling there were health issues involved. Eric wasn’t fat either but could be if not careful. Eric didn’t care. Whatever had caused the health problem scared him enough he no longer cared, but enjoyed life and part of that was good food! When he wrote, he snacked, but he was on vacation and wasn’t paying that much attention!

“Okay, gentlemen.” An accented voice said. We all looked up at our waiter. And yes, he was a handsome man. Bronze to brown hair and he had a Russian appearance. Eastern European men had a look. Don’t argue with me. I would almost bet he had military in his background. He was in his thirties and paid attention to his body which was in great shape. A lean body and had great chest was under his shirt. He’d do well with tips! “My name is Sasha. I’ll be serving you on this voyage.”

Then I noticed some waiters come down the stairs and stop. Then a musical fanfare blared, almost too loud, but the hum of many conversations stopped as the lights sort of dimmed and floodlights focused on these waiters. A note sounded and they all began.

One singular sensation, every little step he takes.” They sang. Yes, sang! This was live. The sound of many male voices blending in a not so polished way only added to the charm. Then the lights came up a little. Then some of the other waiters on the first level, including Sasha joined the next line. They didn’t dance exactly, but their moments were choreographed and done together. “One thrilling combination, every move that he makes.” Then the lights came up more and another unified move. All the waiters on the second level joined the others. “One smile and suddenly nobody else will do.” Then the orchestration was on full as they all sang. “You know you’ll never be lonely with you know who.” Now they all moved as one!

Tony smiled at me taking my hand. Then looked back as they sang more.

One moment in his presence and you’ll forget the rest, for the man is second best to none, son. Ooh! Sigh! Give him your attention, do I really have to mention he’s the one? He walks into a room and you know he’s uncommonly rare, very unique!” They sang the whole damned song! You know Chorus Line! The only thing changed were the pronouns. He was said instead of she, man instead of girl. It was great!! And every guy who was a passenger here knew it too and sang with them. Including me!

After it was over, Tony chuckled looking at my face. Show tunes were my tell, remember? I was smiling in delight. Tony shrugged squeezing my hand. “It’s a ship full of gay men, what’d you expect?”

I shrugged. “No one could expect this! It was great!!”

Sasha turned back after the song and huffed a little to catch his breath, then smiled. “Now. Welcome aboard the Oosterdam. We’ll be together this whole trip, if there’s anything needed, tell me. But let’s start with drinks if needed.”

Then I noticed Tony motion to Sasha, who came over and bent down as Tony whispered to him. Then Sasha smiled, nodded and walked to someone else serving. They weren’t all waiters, I realized. We had people bring drinks, people to keep glasses full, bring slices of bread, rolls, and the food. Like I said, overkill. But we were paying for it, so why not?

I looked at Tony’s attempt to be casual about what was going on that he whispered to Sasha. I shook my head. “I’m not asking.”

Tony nodded. “Thank you. But you’ll find out soon enough.”

Scott chuckled. “You seem to know he’s being sneaky.”

I nodded. “I do indeed.” I shrugged. “He likes doing it to me. Besides, it is so obvious.”

There were things on the menu I knew, may have tried once or wanted to but never did. I’d had escargot before…once. Now it was an appetizer. It was a steak, but it was delicious! No steak and taters here! The cake was chocolate, but not just chocolate cake, I was eating chocolate ambrosia! That’s when Sasha came out with a bottle. He took my wine glass and poured me and Tony a glass.

Tony grinned. “Remember this?” He showed me the bottle.

My eyes grew. “Belle Roma!?” I smiled at the bottle taking it.

“I think there’s a story here.” Eric chuckled sitting forward.

I nodded. “Of course there is. A year ago this coming Sunday, Tony and I exchanged vows and went on a honeymoon. We went to Rome. I’m not a big drinker and would just assume lick a two by four than drink most wines. But we had this wine there. I really liked it. I was told they were rare outside of Rome.”

“They are.” Tony nodded. “But I made sure we have a couple of bottles here. I had them shipped for that reason.”

Then Scott lightly punched Glenn. “Why aren’t you romantic like that?”

“We’re on the damned boat, honey.” Glenn groused but was smiling. “That isn’t romantic?” He kissed Scott. Then looked at us. “So, how’d you two meet? Your accents are clearly different so you’re from very different parts of the united states. You, Mitch, are getting your Master’s Degree and manage a hotel and Tony does investments and the stock market.”

We told the story as we shared the wine with our new friends.

“Is this my surprise?” I asked Tony about the wine.

He shrugged again. “Part of it. There will be more.”

What more? I wondered.

 

When we got back to the suite as soon as he closed the door behind us, I smiled at the towel elephant on our turned down bed. One of many animal sculptures we would get. Then I turned to grab Tony and pushing him down on the bed and kissed him deeply, hungrily.

Tony chuckled when I broke off a little. “I think you’re happy,” Tony said.

I nodded as I straddled him. “I’m very happy, Tony.”

He grinned at that. “That’s what I always want to do.”

“I love you, Tony,” I said unbuttoning my shirt. “I don’t know how I deserved having you in my life, but I’ve been so happy with you in my life for the last two years. I never want this to end.”

Tony brought his arms around me. “By doing these things…if I make you happy, I’m happy. I love you, Mitch. Thank you for marrying me.”

I smiled nodding. “I am impressed.”

Tony now smiled even wider. “Yes! I did it!! Good for me!” He shouted in triumph. He pulled me down closer kissing me. “I promise I’ll never stop trying. Make love to me?”

“I’ve wanted to all night!”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I’m not a big drinker and would just assume lick a two by four that drink most wines. Should be 'just as soon.'

 

United States needs to be capitalized.

 

Eric and Seth? Shouldn't they have been accountant and winemaker? ;-)

Link to comment
On 1/20/2017 at 9:44 AM, droughtquake said:

Eric and Seth? Shouldn't they have been accountant and winemaker? 😉

Caught that, did you. I always want to be a character. So I'm published here. That was fiction.

Edited by R. Eric
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 1/20/2017 at 8:44 AM, droughtquake said:

I’m not a big drinker and would just assume lick a two by four that drink most wines. Should be 'just as soon.'

 

United States needs to be capitalized.

 

Eric and Seth? Shouldn't they have been accountant and winemaker? ;-)

I'm an accountant, but I'm a serious wine drinker.  :P

  • Haha 3
Link to comment

white table clothes and fine china - white tablecloths and fine china

 

Seeing this example of first class service is good for Mitch in his position as a hotel manager. He can take ideas back to his job from the ship!

Seth who was a politian  - Seth who was a politician 

there by lived in - there but lived in

The United States. Capitalization!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..