Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 3,554 Words
  • 5,604 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 7. Chapter 7

Tony sighed relief and Nick left for his apartment. “That’s one down.” He grinned at me.

“It went well.” I nodded.

Tony shrugged. “I told you, he was a good man.”

I grinned with a shrug. “And I told you, he came from you. How could he not be?”

 

That night I saw another part of Tony. We had gotten home and did make love, then fell asleep together. And I was getting used to Tony’s spooning me from behind. It was later when he began making these sounds. A soft moan, then he rolled away as he twitched. I sensed he was dreaming, but what he was dreaming wasn’t pleasant at all. I rolled over, not sure if I should wake him. He wasn’t sleepwalking, but I wasn’t sure about nightmares. Then his thrashing became more pronounced and his moans were accompanied by little cries that told me he didn’t want to see what he was seeing.

“Tony,” I said softly deciding to risk it.

Then with a sharp cry, he sat up quickly. “No!!”

I put my hand on his face, bringing it to look at me. “It was a nightmare,” I told him as his eyes focused more on where he was and me.

Tony sighed, seeing it was over, but threw his legs over the side as he shook. He let out a sad breath that was more of a moan. “Sorry.” He got up and went naked to the bathroom.

I gave him a few minutes, watching the light switch on and hearing him rummage through something. Then I got up, walked to the door. Knocking gently. “Let me in, Tony.”

“It’s not locked.”

Walking in, I saw him sitting on the closed toilet holding a couple of pill bottles in his hands looking at them. “Are you alright?”

He shook his head. “It was bad.” He sniffed, wiping his face where he’d been crying.

I nodded. “I gathered that.” I knelt in front of him. “And these are for?” I touched a pill bottle.

He held one up. “Anxiety.” He held the other up. “Depression.” He pointed to one on the counter. “Sleep.” He shook his head. “All prescribed after the attack.”

“Do they help?”

Tony shrugged. “They can, but they make me feel…hollow.”

“Why are we together, Tony?” I asked him.

He looked at me strangely. “We fell in love.”

I nodded. “We did. But is that all?”

He frowned. “I don’t understand.”

“What was it about me that you saw that made you fall in love with me?” I asked. “I know what I saw. I walk into the church and there you were. This gorgeous man, yes you are. But my mind was going through all the reasons it would never work with us.”

“Because I’m a New Yorker?” Tony asked.

I shook my head. “That was just the frosting on the cake. I love that you are. In fact, that’s probably why I was attracted more. You are exotic.” He grinned at that and was about to shake his head. “But I saw a man I always dreamed of being with. You have this air of confidence and assuredness. You had pride in yourself. Then I spoke to you and you proved to be funny and smart. Qualities I really like.”

Tony smiled when he heard that. “I’m not exotic.”

“Yes, you are,” I said putting my arms around him. “My brain was saying it was too good to be true, but then you were smiling at me and seemed to respond favorably to me. And you smelled so damned good!” I grinned.

Tony chuckled. “You fell in love with how I smell?”

I nodded. “Partly.” I kissed him gently. “And you are so handsome.” But then I got serious. “But then I discover a sensitive, loving man, who loves his family. That loves his family not because he has to, but he truly likes them. You’re a good man, Tony.”

Tony smiled wiping his face again. “I fell for you, especially when you stood telling everyone there that you lost the war and to get over it.” He chuckled at that. “Which…” he held a finger up. “…had nothing to do with any of us. We came through Ellis Island decades after the Civil War.” He stated to clarify.

“War of Northern Aggression.” I corrected with a smile knowing it was ridiculous.

He rolled his eyes. “But I see this man, who didn’t put on a show. You are as you are. Genuine, compassionate and smart. You made me laugh.” He shook his head. “I hadn’t laughed so much in months. Maybe longer. And then you were beautiful. You were never anything fake. Honest.”

I nodded. “Thank you. My point is…I saw something in you that I wanted to be included in my life. You. I assume you want me in yours.”

Tony smiled. “I do.”

“I can’t make you tell me what you feel and what you dreamt about, but I’ll always be there for you. Part of being in each other’s lives means we tell each other things…not necessarily all good. Some are very bad, but I promise, I’ll always listen.”

Tony nodded as he sighed. “I see these faces.” Again, the tears formed. “Random ones and I know they were there in the tower. Like…the man on the stairway, the one in the wheelchair that told me friends were coming to take him down.” He took in a breath. “The problem is I left him. I have no idea if he’s alive or dead. I could have helped him down. There’s a girl I often saw on the elevator. She worked at the restaurant on the top floor. I saw her often and I know she’s dead now because no one above the area hit lived. The helicopters couldn’t get them off the roof.” Then he gripped the pill bottle. “So many others…I see them, remember them and I don’t know if they’re even alive.” He pulled me, holding me tightly. “I just keep seeing their faces!” He began crying again, but not as hard as he had the first time he’d told me.

“I am so sorry you went through this.” I continued to hold him.

Then he sat up a little. “I know you love me, so I’m asking you…” he smiled at me. “Make feel better now. Make love to me, please? Slowly this time. I need that connection. I love you.”

I smiled at him as I rose up, taking his hand. “Gladly.”

He smiled. “Feel free to sniff wherever.”

Tony was very receptive and I did make love to him slowly. His groans of pleasure were softer, but he had a sound in his moans that told me I was reaching a part of him that he needed, what he wanted and he was loved.

 

The next morning, I woke as I sniffed, but it wasn’t Tony I smelled. But bacon! Then I smelled the coffee. I didn’t need to roll over to know Tony was up, I could hear him in the kitchen as he hummed and cooked. But I did roll over and buried my face in his pillow, inhaling his wonderful scent. Then I rolled out of bed and walked into the kitchen where I saw a very naked Tony in just an apron as he worked.

“That’s dangerous, you know,” I said softly making Tony spin around. “Frying bacon naked...one grease splatter and ouch!”

Tony grinned. “You have to be careful.” Then he walked over and kissed me. “Good morning.”

I hugged him. “Good morning.”

He grinned wider. “Just something to carry us as I show you where we may be living.”

“And where is that?” I asked as he returned to the pan.

“Essex,” Tony said.

I knew the name. Charleston was big on their military. There was the Air Force Base and there were two Naval Facilities at one time. The Navy Shipyard where they had the ships and also trained for specialties. And the Navy Base, where until the ships became so large we couldn’t keep them here. The Navy Base had closed. Where I had rented the house wasn’t too far from where the Navy Base had been and had been housing for a lot of Navy families during World War II. It used to be the Red Light District. And there was always crime there. Drugs, prostitutes and other various crimes made it the Red Light District. Now, the City of North Charleston, different from Charleston in that it was newer and more industrial and progressive. North Charleston was working hard to revitalize what was left of the base. What had been a not so nice part of downtown North Charleston had new restaurants, trendy shops and had been redecorated to make it more attractive and bring people to North Charleston. To keep that, they were building these new condominiums where the docks had been. Looking right on the water of Cooper River.

“Okay.” I nodded. “And I don’t really care that much, but aren’t those a little pricey?”

Tony shrugged. “The starting price is $300,000 dollars to start.”

“To start,” I repeated. “Don’t tell me if you don’t want to, but…you said you weren’t rich.”

Tony nodded. “I also said I wasn’t poor either.” He pointed out. Then he spooned the bacon on some plates. “In New York, I wouldn’t be rich. Here is another story. I sold my house a few years ago after the divorce. It was a nice house. It sold for three million.” He said simply. “I had an apartment there which was downtown Manhattan. Rent and utilities have taken a bite out of what I had saved.”

For the first time, I was feeling uncomfortable. I never dreamed of being rich. Just happy. “Three million dollars.”

He nodded. “Of course, I gave half of that to Jean. And there were my investments, stocks…which I also gave half to Jean.”

“But you lived apart the last few years.” I wanted to understand.

“Almost ten years.” He nodded.

“Just help me understand, please,” I said. “The attack was seven, eight months ago.”

He nodded.

“You said you’ve been out of work for over a year.”

He sighed. “I was doing some private work. I did work with Morgan and Stanley for a few years, but I was a private consultant to some investors I continued to work with.” He took the plates to the table. He turned sadly. “Before the attack, I was still a little man crazy, but not as much. Luke was the last man I’d been with before you. I was in love with him.” He looked at me. “I’m not now.” He stated firmly to make that point. “He’d cheated on me, which I deserved since I cheated on Jean. I slipped into this depression when we broke up. I only worked as a consultant after that. I wasn’t getting a bi-weekly paycheck. I earned a commission, but no real paycheck.”

I nodded and looked at him. “And you’re in love with me?”

Tony chuckled as he nodded. “I am.”

I shrugged. “I think I’m getting a pretty good dessert and I get Crème Brule? What a surprise!” He held my hand on his bare chest. “Forgive me, my mind is doing a bit of arguing with itself.”

Tony frowned. “About what part?”

I scratched my head. “I’ve never felt this before,” I said honestly. “You can say you’re not, but you are rich by all I know. I never thought I’d fall in love with a rich man, much less have him fall in love with me.”

Tony looked more confused. “Why do you say that?”

I shrugged. “Not that many rich men came my way.”

Tony nodded. “I’m glad they haven’t. I might have lost you.”

I shrugged again. “You have a master’s degree, I have an associate’s degree. I’m feeling like you’re slumming.”

“Slumming!?” Tony balked. “Slumming.” Then his face softened. “Aw, Cuore Mio.” He hugged me. “I’m not slumming at all.”

I pushed him back with a grin. “What did you call me?”

If you ever get the chance, you need to see an Italian blush, don’t miss it. “Sorry, it just came out.”

I nodded. “Yeah?” Then my eye narrowed. “And that was what that just came out?”

“It literally means…my heart.” Tony looked away getting his napkin and sitting down.

I pulled him back up. “No, you don’t.” I smiled at him larger. “Like Sweetheart of something? I’ve heard it said on TV, but tell me, does it mean something like that?”

Tony finally looked back at me. “Yes.”

I kissed him quickly. “That’s how you see me?”

He shrugged, blushing more. “Yes.”

“Stop that!” I grinned making him face me. “Don’t be embarrassed by that. I think it’s nice. I’ve never been anyone’s sweetheart. And I’ve never been….cuoremio.”

Tony grinned at me. “Now I know I’m in trouble.”

“Why’s that?”

He was blushing again. “Papa said when he met he blushed when he first said it to Mama. When Noono met Nonna he said he did the same thing.” Then he kissed me. “That’s my grandpa and grandma, in case you’re wondering.” He pulled me back to my seat. “Italian men are very romantic. They will use words and say things to win someone over. But they say when they met the right one; when their heart is involved, they blush.” He went and got the coffee. “You can ask them when you see them.” He challenged me. “That means I did, too.” Then he motioned to my plate. “You’re eggs are going to be cold. Eat.”

I shook my head. “Where have you been!?” I asked in disbelief. “I’ve waited a long time for you.”

Tony grinned back. “Why didn’t you come up North?”

I smiled. “From what you said, I couldn’t afford to.” I took a bite of his eggs. “Delizioso.” Making his eyebrows rise. “I know some Italian words. Like ti amo.”

Tony grinned. “Here’s another phrase. Ti vogliobeneanch'io.” He pulled me into a kiss. “That’s, I love you, too.”

I shook my head. “I got to learn Italian.”

Tony gave a shrugging nod. “That’s not a bad idea.”

 

We rode to Essex. I had seen the commercials and knew it was expensive, but Tony wanted to look. What the hell? He gave me veto rights. It had a gate with a guard and a wall around the complex. Tony didn’t care if the woman looked up in surprise when he and I walked up holding hands. It was a habit now. But she quickly recovered and turned on her charm as she stood from behind her desk. She was a middle age woman with blonde frosted hair done around her neck. But held her age well.

“Mr. Delveccio?” She didn’t even bother to ask me. Italian name, Italian man she put two and two together and got the right answer.

Tony didn’t miss anything either. “Is the fact that we’re a gay couple going to be a problem?”

She shook her head. “Of course not.” She smiled, but I could tell it bothered her on a personal level. Gaydar doesn’t exist, but I could read faces. It helped when I was a cop. “I was just surprised is all.” She explained. “On the phone, you didn’t mention…I mean, you didn’t sound…”

“Gay?” I asked.

She looked at me but nodded. “That’s sort of stupid, isn’t it?” She smiled. “I apologize. No, there will be no problem.”

Tony nodded. “It’s all good.” He put his arm around me. “This is my life partner, Mitch McKenzie. You’ll be selling to him. He knows the area and can better understand the things like traffic and other things.”

“You’re from here.” She said to me.

“I’ve been here a few years, yes,” I said.

“What sort of unit were you interested in?” She asked both of us.

Tony smiled. “Well, I’ve got a big family. I’ll need room for when they visit and I have a son going to college here. I saw the unit with three or four bedrooms, can we see one of those?”

Three or four bedrooms? But he was the one with the money, so I kept my mouth shut.

 

At the end of the day, lunch was delivered from a local restaurant to the office as she and Tony worked on the financial parts. He had the master’s degree, not me. And no, we didn’t get the three-bedroom one. I didn’t really like it.

“Is Louise, Mike, Kathy, and Al coming at the same time? And you’re parents?” I asked.

Tony nodded. “You’re right. But we may need the four bedrooms. They could bring their kids.”

Those started at $450.000 dollars, so the lady, Ms. Cunningham’s cash register rang. I practically heard it. “We have one that the financing fell through on a unit that has never been moved in. I’ll show you.”

I pulled Tony back. “Are you crazy!?

“About the unit?” He smiled. “Are you kidding!?” He waved at the complex. “It’s great! This same thing in New York would start about two million! I’m investing in a home for us. For us!” He stressed, then sighed. “Is the problem about the money?”

I had to think about it. “I guess I am having issues with that. You claimed that you weren’t rich, but clearly, you are...at least to me.”

Tony looked a little upset by this. “Will this end us?”

I looked at him surprised. “No!! Not at all, it just…so much!” I took his hand. “I believe it when you said you loved me. Do you believe I love you?”

“Yes.”

“We’ve known each other not even a week!” I said in a hissing whisper so only he could hear.

“Is our being together right or wrong?” Tony asked.

I shook my head. “It’s right and you know it.” I took a deep breath. “I’m just having relationship whiplash.”

Tony’s eyebrows rose. “Relationship whiplash?”

“This time last week….last week!! I was working in a hotel, living alone and I was fine.” I shrugged. “I meet you on Sunday and have an unofficial date. Then Monday, we fall in deep like, lust really…then on Tuesday you move in.” Then I threw my hands out in exasperation. “Now this! It’s just Friday!? What more can happen next week?” I smiled. “It’s just a sudden change. Give me a few moments to let it soak in.”

Tony smiled. “As long as it does.” Then he looked at me seriously. “I’ve never been so sure about anything recently, but I’m sure about us.”

I grinned as he kissed me. “Just allow for adjustment time.”

Tony nodded. “Will do.”

 

The unit was great! It had the four bedrooms, the biggest was the master bedroom on the first level. There was a fireplace between the bedroom and the great room. Hardwood floors everywhere. Granite countertops…all those things a woman or gay queen would insist on. The unit was on the top floor of a five-story portion overlooking the river and the marina where a few boats waited for…whoever. There was a spacious balcony to set things on and just look at the water. There was a little partition between rooms as it was mostly open giving it a loft-like feeling. Stairs led up to the upper bedrooms. Three and a half bathrooms! The bathroom in the master bedroom was huge with sliding doors that opened to the balcony. A lot of light. There was another smaller bedroom with its own bathroom. A bathroom that was for the other two and a half bathroom off the great room.

All this was not my thing. I didn’t care about how fancy or whether or not it had the granite or hardwood. The truth was, Tony needed a place. That would have happened even if we hadn’t gotten together. He had invited me to share it. Then he and Ms. Cunningham went to the office while I looked around. There were two pools and a tennis court. The pool was fine, the tennis court not so much. They did have a fully equipped gym. That I would need. It was a couple of hours when Tony came out with a smile.

“You got it.” I smiled.

He shrugged. “I am. She’s submitting the paperwork. My bank will okay it and there are some things that are going to be done. Like fresh paint. As soon as that’s done, I can call and get my furniture down from New York.”

I nodded. “The stuff you have in storage.”

Tony grinned tossing me the keys to his car. “Let’s have dinner. You drive.”

My eyes widened. “You’re letting me drive your car?”

He nodded. “Well, you are part of my life. We are intimate, so driving the car I bought is no big deal.”

“You can drive Bubba, too.”

Tony frowned. “Is it automatic?”

“Transmission? No, it has a clutch.” I grinned. “You don’t drive a clutch?”

He shrugged. “I have, but it’s been a while.”

I looked at his car. “Do I need to know more than the pedal for gas and for the brakes with this?”

Tony grinned. “A bit.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 7
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I saw a guy for over a year, my longest relationship. He had a real job, not like my disposable job in retail. He had much more income than I did and he was used to expensive vacations with his large family – snorkeling in Belize, I think, was one of them.

 

He decided that there were things he wanted to do that I couldn't afford. If he really wanted to do them with me, he'd just have to pay for them. We went to many plays – I had only seen one or two before that.

 

I would have been happy with spending much less money, doing fewer things. But he could never be satisfied with just sitting around doing nothing…

Link to comment
On 12/16/2016 06:10 PM, droughtquake said:

I saw a guy for over a year, my longest relationship. He had a real job, not like my disposable job in retail. He had much more income than I did and he was used to expensive vacations with his large family – snorkeling in Belize, I think, was one of them.

 

He decided that there were things he wanted to do that I couldn't afford. If he really wanted to do them with me, he'd just have to pay for them. We went to many plays – I had only seen one or two before that.

 

I would have been happy with spending much less money, doing fewer things. But he could never be satisfied with just sitting around doing nothing…

When my husband came in Charleston, I was a bit overwhelmed by his tastes and how little how much cost concerned him. This story is almost a biography. The fact the he had a life before me didn't bother me. That he made money in the past did bother me. To me it was his money. That was something I had to get used to. I had to get used to him doing things because he wanted to, not because felt he had to. The transition of ME and HIM to being US. That was the hard part.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Aside from the PTSD and money issue, things are going well. And it seems like both those issues are manageable for these guys. I hate to jinx things, but it must be time for some major conflict. This is after all a story on GA.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 12/17/2016 03:54 AM, JeffreyL said:

Aside from the PTSD and money issue, things are going well. And it seems like both those issues are manageable for these guys. I hate to jinx things, but it must be time for some major conflict. This is after all a story on GA.

Tony is about to meet his country "in-laws." The shit may hit the fan.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

So Mitch found out about Tony's darkside in that the nightmare he had, then while he was doing whatever he was doing in the bathroom caused some concerns about how long he'd been in there. After Mitch got into the bathroom and he saw Tony with the pill bottles he asked what each was for, Tony explained that he started taking them after the attacks on the World Trade Center. Mitch told Tony again that he would be there for him no matter what. The next day they looked at a 4 bedroom condo that started at  $450,000.00 dollars. They agreed on the size and flooring and counter top choices since they were already there. Tony started the paperwork for the purchase of the unit, and said he wanted fresh paint throughout then he could call to have his furniture delivered. Mitch also said that he needed to learn Italian. I can hardly wait for Tony to meet Mitch's family. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Morgan Stanley, Inc. Is an investment firm headquartered at New York. It is probably the largest investment bank in the world. The official name of the company is just Morgan Stanley, no conjunction or additional punctuation. Its principal owner is Mitsubishi (about 28%).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..