Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 6,929 Words
  • 1,583 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 86. Chapter 86

Surprise!! I'm writing again. I had some setbacks, but I'm back. I'm not writing as manically as I was, but there will be more. This part of the story needs to be told. Daniel fought so hard and so bravely. He deserves to be told. I still love Daniel as much as I ever did. I love all my loyal readers. Bubba, my Muse, is still talking to me.

The advantage of having a child in the house was the excitement they had for things and special times, such the Holiday Season, was infectious! I tried all my life to keep that childlike innocence by watching those seasonal shows and eating those special things…and it worked. To a point. Adult reality came back swiftly, but for that short time, be it a half an hour or an hour…I was a kid again. Hoping I would get that special something I asked for under the tree. Would it be there? This year I only wanted one thing. Tony for another year or two. In good health.

I know, it was something I thought about now almost constantly now. I’d be a heartless fool to deny it or run away. Resolving to accept it didn’t take it from my mind. Cancer was a very heavy thing to battle. Even with the positive encouragement from Dr. Keogh it was a situation we couldn’t ignore or treat like a simple cold. Tony was spending money to compensate for something. I wondered if he somehow knew even before he was diagnosed. His desire to build a new house, the trip on the Queen Mary was more than just a little extravagant. Kathy even said it wasn’t if they would get cancer, but when. After the when arrived, Tony had to get that car. We didn’t need it, but it was for Tony. He needed it. If he spent every cent we had…as long as he remained alive and with me; I would be fine with it. The McKenzies were too caught up with cost and appearances. I was guilty of that at first.

We were waiting for St. Nicholas Day, that was the saint and not Kris Kringle or Santa. Tony was having a good time with Alik sorting and setting out the many decorations we had gotten for our tree. In many ways this was when he regained his childlike innocence.

Alik held up one of the ornaments, dangling it as he looked at it curiously. It was a golden ornament, spiral shaped and had a distinctive look like webbing. “What’s this, Uncle Tony? It looks like a spider’s web.”

Tony and I had bought them after the Christmas Season a year ago, so Alik was seeing it for the first time.

“That’s because it is a spider’s web.” I said.

Tony gave Alik an exaggerated look of astonishment. “You’re Russian, right?”

“Yes.” Alik grinned. “What does the spider’s web on the Christmas Tree have to do with my being Russian?”

“Because the Christmas Spider is Russian!” Tony said loud, making Alik smile. Tony hugged Alik to himself. “You poor neglected young man.” He looked up and shouted. “Sasha! Do you mind if I tell him the story of the Russian Christmas Spider? Or do you want to?”

Sasha was sorting the long lengths if lights for the tree. He looked at Tony and chuckled, “Help yourself.” He turned. “David! You might want to listen. Do you know of the Christmas Spider?”

David was also going through some of our decorations. His eyebrows grew nearer together in confusion, “I know of a Christmas Spider, but wasn’t it German?” He thought a second. “Or was that Ukraine?”

“It is Eastern European!” I growled. “It is in Russia, too.” I began to get somethings together to make our lunch. “That’s why we bought them…because Alik’s Russian.”

Sasha chuckled again as he shrugged, “He’s only had seven Christmases. Somethings must have slipped by him.”

Tony nodded, “Well, today you learn about the Christmas Spider. The one I like is the poor widow with small children who didn’t know how they would survive the winter as they couldn’t afford food or anything to heat their house with. Still, she put a Christmas Tree up and she and the children hung ornaments they made because they couldn’t afford ornaments bought. God saw their tree, but saw what was really in their hearts. He had spiders go in the tree and weave these elaborate weds. When the sun rose Christmas Morning and the light shown on the webbing,” he paused for dramatic effect, “the weds had turned to gold and silver. The widow could from that day afford food and could buy coal to heat her house all winter long and for the rest of her life!”

David grinned, “I thought…”

“Ep!” Tony interrupted holding a finger up stopping David. “That’s the story the lady from Ukraine, who sold those to us told us.” He waved his hands in helplessness. “The story happened so long ago, who will we fact check it with? For all I know Sasha and Alik are the story’s children’s great grandchildren! It was the Italian version of the Christmas Spider!” He said loud causing Alik to laugh. Tony smiled at Alik. “There are lots of stories about special animals at Christmas. You know about Mitch’s love of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. In Italy we have Dominic the Christmas Donkey!”

“A Christmas Donkey?” Alik asked. “Isn’t that like a one of those small horses?” He looked at me. “You made friends with one on Ios.”

I nodded remembering the friendly Burro that visited Tony and I on the island every morning for apples. “I did! Bucky was a sweet little friend.”

Tony explained how Dominic helped Santa to deliver gifts because Santa’s reindeer couldn’t manage the hills in Italy.

“Wait,” Alik said stopping Tony, “Wait. Why would the reindeer have problems with the hills?”

“Yeah,” Sasha nodded, having listened to the story as well. “Santa’s reindeer can fly. The hills shouldn’t have even been a problem.” He grinned.

Tony shrugged, “Maybe the roofs were too small! Have you seen some of those houses in Italy?”

It was all done in a light-hearted way and Tony was being funny. He looked at me for support.

I shrugged at Tony, but said. “Tony’s right. Most of the houses I saw in Italy…very few would support a sleigh and eight reindeer.”

Tony’s smile to me and wave at me. “See? He knows!”

“Alik and Sasha are doing what I told Sasha not to do,” I shook my head, however the smile on my face was refusing to go away. “Applying logic to a story as Sasha tried with Twenty-One Balloons.”

Tony nodded, “What he just said.” He clapped his hands together once. “Mitch, babe, this is the first time you’ll hear me say this.” He pointed to the things I pulled out. “Put that away. We’re going out for pizza!”

I was literally stunned. “Are you feeling okay, Tony?”

Tony grinned, “I feel fine. Why?”

“Because from the day I met you,” I walked over to him and felt his forehead, “you have never approved of any pizza made by anyone that wasn’t you.” I sighed as I lowered my hand to his forehead. “You don’t have a fever…”

“No,” Tony chuckled. “I didn’t want a pizza made by some non-Italian kids named Biff, Buffy or Skippy making a pizza at a job they have after Algebra class in High School.” He held up his hands. “Besides, I have tree sap on me. Italian da Roma had some real good Italian meals last night. We’ll see if they can do pizza!” He thumbed over his shoulder toward Sasha. “He’s buying.”

Sasha’s eyes widened. “I am?”

David nodded. “We are. They bought last time. Why not? Besides, it’s lunch! How much can it be?”

“Maybe I’ll have a calzone!” I said.

“What’s a calzone?” Alik asked me.

“You’ll see.” Tony grinned hugging Alik to himself briefly again.

 

We went back to Italian da Roma. This time there were no valets, but parking wasn’t too bad. To our delight Clark was there from having waited on us the night before.

“Back again so soon!” Clark greeted us bypassing the hostess who was looking puzzled at first. “Welcome back, gentlemen!” He looked at the young woman. “I’m putting them at table thirty-six.”

“But…” the woman began.

“I was unaware we needed reservations for lunch,” Tony said as we looked back at some people waiting with one of those pager-like things that buzzed when the hostess used to let them know their table was ready.

“Not you, Mr. Delveccio!” Clark assured grabbing five menus. “You and your family are very important customers and don’t need reservations for lunch!” He pointed at us. “We will always welcome you. We want to keep you.” He looked at the hostess. “Don’t we, Gretchen? They were here last night! I told you this morning about them.” The way he told her, she had to remember.

Her eyes widened, “Oh! Those people! These are them?” She pointed at us.

“Yes, they are!” Clark nodded. “Remember their faces. They really don’t need reservations.”

“Well…” Tony began to protest.

“No, Mr. Delveccio,” Clark insisted again. “You’ll always be welcomed.” He waved us to follow him. “Right this way.”

“Thank you, Clark!” Tony put his arm around me as we walked behind him. “I hope your pizza and calzones are as good today.” He said the word calzone with the long e at the end.

Clark turned to Tony as he walked, “I believe they are excellent, but you tell me after you have them.” He led us to a more recessed table than we had last night. More private than the other one, but still close for the wait staff to get there and back. He pulled a chair back for Alik as we all sat. “Do you know what you’ll want to drink or do you want a minute?”

“No,” Tony said he thumbed toward me. “Sweet tea?” There were nods all around but Sasha who asked for a beer on tap. He wasn’t driving.

“Can I have that drink you gave me last night?” Alik asked.

“You sure can, my man.” He looked up and pointed at Sasha and David. “If they agree.”

“Sure, we do!” Sasha agreed.

“I’ll get those drinks and be right back!”

After Clark left, Tony leaned forward and stage whispered to David and Sasha. “Now you understand why I tipped like I did last night.” He waggled his eyebrows at them. “We made a great first impression.”

David smirked, “And set a trend we have to follow.”

Tony shrugged, “Only at exceptional places and this is an exceptional Italian restaurant! Whether or not you continue to do it is up to you if you want the kind of reaction we just got.”

I patted Tony on the hand, “David’s a McKenzie, it will take a while before he develops new eyes. It took me a while.”

“True,” Tony shrugged a nod. “You got there a year ago or so, right?”

“I did.”

Clark came back to our table serving our drinks.

“Can we have some of those cheese puff things, Daddy David?” Alik asked David.

David looked at Alik strangely. “Your father’s right there!” He pointed at Sasha.

Alik looked away from David, “Yeah, but a lot of times he says no first.”

Sasha looked upset a moment as he looked at David and then Tony and me. “I don’t want to be a…” he thought for a word or words. “How do I say avtoritetny tiran?”

“Clark,” I said as Clark gave he placed the last drink down. “We’re going to have a touching family moment. If you come back in five minutes we’ll be ready to order. I swear.”

“Sure,” Clark backed away.

“A what?” Tony wasn’t as good with Russian so he looked at David and then me. “What’s an avtoritetny tiran?”

David didn’t understand, but I did. “Sasha, you are not an ortitsatelny avtoritetny!” I said sternly.

“Not what!?” Tony almost shouted since he didn’t understand.

I pointed at Sasha, “He said he didn’t want to be an authoritative tyrant.” I placed a hand on my chest. “I said he wasn’t even a negative authority.”

Tony leaned away from me about an inch as he thought about my translation, blinked, and merely said, “Oh.” It took a few more seconds before he leaned in closer to me and making up for the added distance prior by putting his face an inch or so from mt face. His finger came up to scold me or make a point…or both! “You can say you’re not, but I say you’re fluent in Russian.”

I grinned. “Posti moget byt.”

Tony nodded. “I got the almost, but I disagree with the maybe. There is no almost maybe about it.” He translated what I said. He had said it loud enough Sasha, David, and Alik had heard and all were smiling at us.

 

“Tony,” Sasha began and chuckled. “Any night now, Mitch will dream in Russian and he will be chechetka on my head.” He did the lean forward like Tony had. “Chechetka means tap dancing. The dreaming in Russian means he will be fluent.” He gave a shrug and nod. “So, he says.”

 

“How can I not be?” I waved at Sasha. “It began with Sasha, then Alik, Tasha, then Ivan, and Katya…”

 

“Not to mention all those Russian television shows…” Sasha added.

 

“Saying not mention and then mentioning whatever doesn’t work.” I growled. Waving toward Sasha, Alik, and David. “Now back to the subject before Clark comes back.”

 

Tony looked serious and nodded. “Sure, but first…Sasha, you are the authority with Alik, you’re a father. It’s your job to set limits and guidelines. When we go to New York, you’ll meet my Alik. Nick is now in his mid-twenties,” Tony said solemnly. “I knew I was to protect him and it was my job to set those limits, which I did…and enforce them.”

 

Sasha looked at Alik and then back at Tony. “Did he think you always said no?”

Tony nodded, “Naturally.” He shrugged and smiled. “You need to pick your points to be strict with.” Tony shrugged a nod. “I had Mama and Papa to help with Nick…”

“And Kathy and Al,” I reminded Tony.

“Most definitely,” Tony nodded. “They had a child of their own about that time, but Mama, Papa, Kathy, and Al helped. We were all family.” He pointed at Sasha. “I have paperwork on file where you signed an agreement that all at this table are your family and we’ll help when you can.” He jutted a finger at Sasha. “You know that! We love you.” He sighed. “That doesn’t mean you can’t give in to Alik’s desires once in a while.” He hit the menu in front of him to make a point. “Like those cheese puffs! It’s nearly Christmas! Will it ruin his diet? Can’t he have a special occasion?”

“Yes.” Sasha nodded and he looked at Alik. “Later, Daddy David, you, and I will have a talk. I don’t want you to see me as someone that always says no.” He said quietly and calmly to Alik.

“I think Alik will become a fine man,” I smiled at Alik who was smiling.

David nodded as he agreed putting an arm around Alik. “I do, too. He’s smart, calm, and not a brat…”

“Oh, no.” Tony chuckled and shook his head any . “You’ve never struck him or even raised your voice. You may be sorely tempted in a few years when he becomes a teenager.”

I nudged Tony, “Stop scaring them! Being a teenager is tough for everyone, including Alik. Tasha and Sasha gave Alik a good foundation to build on. Nick is a good man because of the foundation you began with him.” I raised my menu. “Clark will be back and I know what I want.”

“I don’t know what I want,” Alik said. “I can’t read this.”

“Me, either.” David admitted. “Your Uncle Mitch can translate any Italian to Russian.” He pointed at the menu. “Margherita Rosse? What’s that?”

“Apparently, Margaret Rosse was a great cook of Italian pizza.” I explained with a laugh. “They’re using her recipe to make pizza and calzones!” Tony and I further explained the other things on the menu.

 

Once again, our meal was very good. I did get my calzone with the spicy sausage and assorted mushrooms, including truffles and had saffron! Both the truffles and the saffron are rare ingredients. Truffles are found by special pigs and considered the diamonds of the kitchen by most chefs, French or otherwise. Saffron, fresh saffron is the stigma of the Crocus flower. That was that tiny thing in the center of the blossom, but very flavorful and the fresher the more expense. Saffron was the most expensive spice in the WORLD! Italian de Roma was a gourmet restaurant and we weren’t so self-involved to think the fancy ingredients were just for us. No. Everything they used was listed on the menu. Every gravy (that’s meat sauce for all the non-Italians out there, remember?) and marineras had all the ingredients listed. Was it merely a justification for the higher prices? Perhaps. They had a big pot they made the gravy and marineras putting these spices in the pot and used it with several meals. When David and Sasha decided to get a pizza they could share. What came out looked as if they had just taken it out of the oven. Sasha and David decided to let Alik had the adult portion of penne pasta and mini-meatballs. Tony approved when he saw the meatballs were made with ground pork sausage, ground beef, and ground veal. Tony even stole a meatball to test to see if it was truly Italian. He luxuriated expression on his face told the truth.

My calzone had spicy Italian sausage, mushrooms, and extra gravy. Tony had a calzone with shrimp, lobster, crab, and scallops. Both were steaming when they arrived and breaking the crust made more steam pour out! Everything was delicious!

Tony nor I saw or advised Sasha or David about the bill, but Clark’s reaction to the final bill was like he had reacted the night before.

“Mr. McKenzie, Mr. Delveccio, Mr. Lebedev,” Clark returned the final receipt. “I hope we have pleased with your meal again.”

“Okay, Clark,” I chuckled. “Since we call you by your first name, I’m Mitch…” I touched Tony, “This is my husband Tony.”

When I said that, the smile on Clark’s face grew a little.

David nodded, “I’m Mitch’s cousin David.” He smacked Sasha lightly on the arm. “And this big Russian-American is Sasha, my soon to be husband this spring and our son Alik! The bottomless pit.” He motioned to Alik’s empty plate as the proved the name he just gave Alik.

“Hi!” Alik greeted.

Sasha glanced at David and then looked back at Clark. “I noticed you seemed pleased that Mitch and Tony are married and then again upon finding out David and I are getting married. Does that mean you are like we are?”

Clark smiled. “I’ve dated both. I can’t make up my mind.”

“You don’t have to.” David said simply. “Find that one most important and follow that. I didn’t claim to be gay or straight before.” He shrugged. “I just dated. Male and female.”

Clark nodded, “I hope we’ll see you again.”

“Count on it,” Tony said confidently. “Soon we’ll be heading to New York for the Holidays, but we’ll be back.” He waved at Sasha, Alik, and David. “I want to show these three my Manhattan.”

“Manhattan!?” Clark repeated in delight. “This restaurant’s parent restaurant is in Manhattan!”

“Naturally it is,” I muttered.

“You know it’s true!” Tony insisted and indicated our empty plates. “This was authentic Italian cooking. There is only a few I know can do it here.” He held up his finger to make his point. “Amici’s came from Chicago, but he cooks real Italian food.”

I nodded, “After coming in through Ellis Island. His grandfather immigrated and after a couple of years in Manhattan moved to Chicago with many other Italian families! Of course, all good Italian cooking comes from New York City! That’s where nearly every one of you entered the country!”

“Uh, huh,” Tony grinned. “You tried to keep all the WOPs in one place.”

I rolled my eyes, “And here we go again.” I was pointing at him now. “I have never once even thought that! Not one of my ancestors had any papers when they got here!!” I looked at David. “Did our great grandfather or his two brothers have any documentation when they arrived in North America?”

Tony and I were being watched with amused faces by David, Sasha, and Clark as we bantered. Alik just looked confused.

David shrugged, “That was back in 1748 when they got here!! How the hell would I know!?”

I physically waved David off, “If there were papers back then the McKenzies won’t remember anyway.” I dismissed. “So, what about this restaurant?” I asked the chuckling Clark.

“Almost a hundred years ago Edvige Sidoti arrived at Ellis Island with her husband and infant son.” Clark began. “That was early in the twentieth century…1918. They were very poor, but Edvige had her grandmother’s treasure! A box of Margherita Rosse’s prized recipes.”

“And she was the best cook in Italy.” I commented simply.

“She was!” Clark defended pointing at our empty plates. “She helped her family by cooking from their little apartment. Her son opened a restaurant in the mid-twenties and barely made in during the Depression. He offered inexpensive meals during that time to the many Italians there. He became a success by the forties and during the war. His son and daughter continued the restaurant and expanded. His great grandson owns this one, but has stayed true to his great, great grandmother’s recipes!”

“And doing a damned fine job!!” Tony declared. “I will guarantee we’ll be back!”

“I’ve seen this movie and read the book, too.” I muttered and smirked. “Do you deliver? We’re less than a mile away over there. Essex?” I waved in the direction of the condo.

Clark nodded, “For select clientele, yes.” He smiled at us. “That’s you!”

“What’s a WOP?” Alik’s eyebrows were practically knitting together. “Isn’t that when you hit someone?”

Tony chuckled, “Hitting someone is a whop, a WOP is short for Without Papers. My grandparents were kept in their by people who called them that.”

“We’ll explain later,” David assured.

“There are mean and stupid people out there,” Sasha said. “I don’t want you to become one.”

“I won’t.” Alik resolved that issue right there.

I looked at Tony, “You have the same papers I do. A birth certificate. Even Sasha and Alik have papers and will get new ones when they become citizens.” I grinned pulling him closer putting our foreheads together. “I love this American-Italian.” I kissed him.

“I know,” Tony said. “I love this American-Scotsman.”

 

I would always go back to the health crisis and having this restaurant so close I’d order from here every day as long as Tony could eat. The medicines he could take to ease the pain so he could swallow also reduced much of his ability to taste. His tastebuds were in his mouth, but the radiation would literally burn away the cancer in his esophagus. There was a diluted form of aloe vera he could gargle with the could give some ease discomfort. There were other medications that he could be prescribed, but those affected how he could taste. He loved the food here so much. If I could get him something he could taste just a little bit I would do it over and over again. I would be prepared. I wasn’t losing him.

He was here and could eat now, but it played with my thoughts.

We got back to the condo and Tony pulled me aside away from the others. “As we have been together these years,” he began softly, but seriously. “We can read each other pretty well. What are you thinking about?”

I sighed, but we did promise to be honest. “I was thinking about you.” That would be obvious. “I am glad Italian da Roma is so close.” I placed a hand on his chest. “They are going to scorch the inside of your throat, Tony. I will do all I can to make sure you eat and stay here!” I pointed to the floor. “I was thinking of the medications Dr. Keogh will probably give to make it easier. You may not be able to taste a lot. If I can get you something from Italian da Roma you can taste just a little bit. I’ll do it. To hell with the cost!! You’re going to win this!” I sighed again. His eyebrows were going up slowly. “Even if they have to put a feeding tube in you, you will win this!!” I said quietly, but firmly. Now his smile was spreading over his face. “If I have to get a tube myself, we go through this together. Capiche?” (Everyone knows the Italian word for comprehend.) I even did the hand movement with my right hand.

“Sei Italiano!!” Tony grinned.

“Damned right!” I nodded. “I most definitely am Italian! Do you doubt that?”

He hugged me. “Not a bit.” He pushed me back a little. “After the six months…and I know I’ll be declared cancer free…you and I are going on a cruise. I do care what ship or even where.”

“Deal.” I nodded. “But you’ll still be healing after the six months.”

“Where better to heal?” Tony said happily. “The warm, salty air, delicious meals, everybody kissing my butt.” He tapped on my chest. “We’re going!” He shrugged. “Even if we just get back and the Queen Mary becomes available, we go on her again! Or even in the middle of the cruise we’re on, we go!”

“As long as we stick together,” I nodded, “Absolutely. I love you.”

Tony hugged me tighter. “I know. I love you.”

“I know.”

 

Have you ever gone clothes shopping with a child? Even a low keyed boy approaching eight? I sat with Sasha as Tony brought another coat over to Alik.

“Here,” Tony handed David the coat. “Have him try this one on.”

“Why am I doing this?” Alik asked either David or his Uncle Tony. He was trying to not sound bored, but you heard it loud and clear.

“Because it’s cold in New York,” Tony explained nodding and looking at what was nearby. “You’ll need something for when we first get there.” He shrugged. “Of course, once we’re there, there are dozens of stores in Manhattan to go to.” He pointed at the coat David was holding. “This looks like the coats your Dad and Dad David will be getting.”

Sasha looked a little surprised. “We are?”

I nodded and laughed, “Yep.”

“There’s a dress code in Manhattan?” David asked.

“Yes,” I nodded again. “And no one knows that code better than Tony.”

Sasha just grunted and leaned closer to me and asked quietly. “How is Tony?”

I shrugged. “He’s scared, but thinking positively. As positive as the doctor is about it, there is the danger.” I laughed, but not at anything funny. The weight of the situation was pressing on me and felt. “I’m scared. Tony’s overcompensating, but if it helps him cope with it…” I shrugged again. “Who’s going to be hurt?”

“How are you doing?” Sasha asked.

“I’m not fine,” I admitted. “I won’t be fine until this is far behind us.”

“He has a very good chance of beating this.” Sasha said.

“Yes,” I agreed. “He does, but we’ve lost two recently in their battles with cancer.”

Sasha’s brows came together. “His father chose not to fight his cancer. You said it was too late for him because it had spread too far to treat. His mother died from a reaction to the chemo.” His head shook as he grudged a shrugged, “Hers was due to her age. Tony’s younger and in great shape!”

“I know,” I began and gave a shrugging nod. “Kathy, Tony’s sister who is a nurse, told me cancer is in his family on both sides. His mother’s father died of a heart attack but had cancer beginning in his body. Her mother had cancer. Angelo’s mother got cancer and his aunt. His family history has many cases, and they may be Catholic, but there aren’t that many people on either side.”

“The McKenzies have the numbers,” Sasha said. “None of them have had to deal with cancer?”

“Oh, sure,” I nodded. “The cancer they’ve had to deal with happened because of something they did, such as not covering up in the sun or smoking. We have high blood sugar issues, potential strokes, and congestive heart failure…arthritis, rheumatism…just sit in the main room where the adults always gather, you’ll hear every ailment they had over and over again.” I sighed. “The McKenzies try to prepare themselves for bad news but…”

Sasha got a compassionate look and put his arm around me. “Mitch, you can’t see things this way. Tony has a good chance of winning this…”

I nodded again, “Yes, and we’re going to give him every possibility to be victorious.” I hugged Sasha. “This is what I need! Someone to talk to and vent with. That’s you and David.”

Sasha hugged me tighter. “That’s what friends who are family does.” He released me briefly. “David and I will always be here for you. I promise.”

“Make sure you are!” I said as Tony came with another coat! He handed it to David. “You guys are getting it easy!”

“Easy?” Sasha asked. “How is this easy?”

I patted Sasha’s arm. “There isn’t enough time to rush you off to New York just for clothes or even better…Milan!” I was about to get up. “When we go to New York, Tony doesn’t want to scare his son, his sister or brother-in-law. Al is a doctor and Kathy is a nurse with a master’s degree. They also know Tony and may sense a problem.” I pointed at Tony. “He needs to be the one to tell them about this. There shouldn’t be a problem, but watch what you say around them.” I laughed remembering Melissa. “Beware of our niece Melissa. She’s had a longtime hero worshipping love affair with her Uncle Tony. She’s extremely outspoken and will zero in on any vulnerability she senses. She’s honed her skills and will use yours to get any information she wants. Don’t tell her anything.”

Sasha grinned, “She sounds like what the KGB was like!”

“She could make them cry!” I rose and looked at Tony and looked back at Sasha. “He will get all I have to support him. I will remain positive and if he gets something by buying. We will let him! We’re not letting him go.” I smiled. “I’m not letting him go!” I walked over to David, Alik, and Tony. “Tony, baby…” I put a hand on Tony’s shoulder, “Alik does need a coat for when we get to Manhattan.” I held up a single finger. “One coat.” I reminded. “David is a greenhorn where it comes to fashion.”

“What’s a greenhorn?” Alik asked.

I held the sleeve of one of the coats, “Who made this?” I asked Alik and David.

Alik shrugged, “I don’t know. This store?”

David also shrugged. “Ralph Lauren…I think.”

“That makes you new to this world,” I chuckled and turned to Tony. “You knew.”

“Sure, I know,” Tony nodded. “That’s why I brought it over.”

“See?” I said motioning toward Tony. “He’s an expert in the fashion world and knows it backwards and foreword. While I’m nowhere near his level, I now know who Gucci, Armani, and Dolce is and can spot their fashions better. He knows!” I smiled at Tony. “We get a coat for Alik his fathers approve of and then hit Fifth Avenue when we get there.”

Tony nodded. “Yes, the selection here is very limited.”

“Saks tried to make it here, but it had trouble getting the business for children and men.” I handed the coat to David. “I think they still sell fashion for women, but that’s all now.”

Tony grunted, “Just like the lack of valets. Charleston needs to catch up with the rest of the civilized world.” He grumbled.

“That will take time.” I chuckled.

Tony blew a disgusted breath. “I wish they hurry up.”

 

Cancer. It is an evil, living monster. I know you’ve read where we are going to deal with it and whatever we have to do to destroy it. Defeat it completely. Why do I keep harping on it? Because it can’t be ignored. It taints everything we do…it tainted everything I did. It was everywhere!! My thinking was tainted almost every moment. Let me give an example. When Sasha and I were in that accident. Before that everything was normal. I certainly wasn’t thinking about possibly dying! In a matter of seconds, mere minutes, we were hit and nearly died. Sasha did die! We got him back, but now…we are standing on train tracks…there were a series of train tracks running beside us beside us on both sides. We were told a train was coming. I used the analogy of the horse and saddle, but the saddle was found. Now the train is coming. We can’t see the train yet. The horizon was clear. There is a distant blare of a train’s horn telling you the train was coming. We knew danger was coming, but what do we do? Were we on the track the train was coming down? Would moving over to one of the other tracks help? Would that put us in the path of the train then? We had to do something! What? Remaining where we were might be the right thing and we wouldn’t be hit at all. However, the bottom line was the train was coming! The blaring sound was a constant reminder we were potentially in danger. There was an elephant in the room and it couldn’t be ignored. I know, another idiom, but it was very appropriate. Causes are important, but people don’t become true crusaders for causes until it hits you or someone you love. Paint a big red circle on us for we were now targets and I wanted it gone! Destroyed and out of our lives. You’ll see my thoughts often go to how to deal with the cancer.

So, back to our lives, but I wouldn’t pretend everything was normal. It wasn’t normal. I would not and could not lie to Tony. We promised to be honest with each other and I would tell him what I felt. I knew he would be honest with me. We would get through this. I would get through this. Tony would live, but how long? Cancer could be a battle that lasts a long time. In the meantime, we would live.

 

Moscow was a little farther north than Manhattan, but I doubted we could feel much difference. Manhattan being nearer to the Atlantic Ocean made the air more damp. I’d have to experience both before I can talk with any authority on that subject. Alik had a couple of coats he wore in Moscow and Tasha had gotten them larger so he could grow into. That was two years ago! He had grown into them and beyond! Alik would have the size Sasha has when he became an adult. He did get a coat that looked very grownup. Sasha and David also got coats from another store. After that, then we went back to the condo.

As we had Italian food for dinner and lunch, I insisted I’d cook our dinner. I opted to make grand…mother’s and mom’s chicken potpie. It had everything in one pot. Vegetables such as green beans. (I didn’t care for beans in general or peas. Butterbeans? No way. No beans in my chili either.) There were also carrots and potatoes. It didn’t take long before I had it in the oven and had forty-five minutes to an hour to wait for it to finish.

Tony was having fun telling Alik some stories about some Christmas stories from Italy.

“You had La Befana and Babbo Natale bring you presents?” Alik asked as they were back to sorting the ornaments again. “Did you get more presents?”

Tony smiled. “You sort of double your chances of getting that one present you really want…if you were good enough.”

Alik cocked his head and squinted an eye at Tony. “Oh, come on, Uncle Tony. I know about Ded Moroz.” He looked at Sasha. “I never heard of what Uncle Tony said, have you, Dad?”

Sasha shook his head. “It must just be for Italian children.” He smiled at Tony.

Tony was having a good time. It had been a while since Nick was this age.

David came over and stood with me as I watched Tony with Alik and Sasha. “Tony’s good with children.” He turned and smiled at me. “You know Sasha and I talk.”

“I hope so,” I chuckled. “It makes marriage so much better if you communicate and do it honestly.”

“You know what I mean.” David growled, but smiled. “We’re here for you. We’ll do whatever we need to so he has a few grandchildren to entertain.” He turned and sighed. “Now, Alik has a week of school left. Next weekend, Sasha, Alik, and I were going to Mom’s and Dad’s. We don’t want to leave you alone.” He said sadly.

“That’s fine.” I looked at him carefully. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s Michael.” David admitted. “He’ll be there. Alone.”

“Still alone?” I asked sadly. You didn’t need writing on the wall to know what was happening. I touched David. “He loved her.”

David nodded. “He loved her, but I think all she loved was the wedding. It was very extravagant, elaborate, and dripped money. You’d think she was royalty. She thinks she is royalty. The McKenzies fall short.”

I pulled David into a hug. “He needs his twin.” I pushed him back a little. “If you’re needed more and can’t go to New York…”

“Oh, no!” David declared. “I’ll be there for Michael, but he made his own decision and I will be there to help him, but we are going to New York!”

“Okay,” I nodded. “But Michael is your twin. He might need you.”

David nodded, “Is that what we are!? I thought we just had a broken mirror!” David laughed at his sarcasm.

A swift slap to the back of his head told him what I thought. It didn’t hurt him and he smiled bigger at me. “He and a buddy are going away at Christmas, so he was visiting them early. His friend was one of his groomsmen and will help Michael get over Sherry.”

“What’s the problem?” I asked. “Do you know?”

David shrugged, “I don’t know. Sherry wanted a perfect wedding. What we wore, where we stood…she was spoiled. Daddy gave her whatever she wanted.”

“Weddings are all about the bride,” I reasoned. “Little girls dream of their weddings all their lives.”

“All of us up there were simply props that she arranged,” David growled bitterly.

“I wouldn’t know,” I said. “Tony and I didn’t get an invitation.”

David nodded quickly, “Another mistake she made.” He tapped each of the next words on my chest with his finger gently. “Michael should have insisted you were.” He smiled. “All I know is he will be my Best Man at my wedding.”

“Just remember,” I began. “He’s a victim.”

“I didn’t tell him about Sasha before introducing Sasha to all the McKenzies, including Michael.” David grudged a shrug. “He didn’t tell me about Sherry. Part of me thinks he deserves it.” He saw my surprised look and raised a hand to stop my protest he knew was coming. “I know, I know. That’s mean, but it’s how I feel.” He leaned in to divulge a secret, as if we weren’t already talking privately. “We fought sometimes.”

The way he said it, I knew he wasn’t talking about verbal disagreements. “Really? There were many times I believed you two spoke telepathically. You two were always so in sync. It was often scary.”

David chuckled as he nodded. “And we were and are…most of the time. We started out as one cell!” He said happily. “I remember being I second grade when we really understood what that meant.” He shook his head. “One sperm and one egg just like everyone else, only ours divided into two and became two individuals instead of one!!” He patted my arm and chest in excitement. “We are exactly alike!”

“Well,” I began. “There are some differences…”

“That you can see!” David stressed. “Mom and Dad can, Gary and Sue can, but Sherry couldn’t!!”

I know my head went back a little. “Nooo.” It was hard to believe. David’s face was slightly…thicker? Just a fraction wider. They were simply different!

“Yes.” David said. “She was always confusing us. It would make her so mad!”

“And that pleases you?”

“It does!” David admitted. “Now, Michael and I only fought three times where it came to blows. I don’t even remember what they were about, but I remember he made me sooo angry! It never lasted more than a few minutes and then we were so sorry.” He shook his head. “My point is…he is important. I will support him, but you are important, too. So is Tony. I will be there for you and Tony. Mostly you.”

I nodded hugging him. “Thank you.”

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 19
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s great to see you back again as I said in the message I sent you. I thought this chapter was really good and it shows how much they’re all struggling with Tony’s cancer. I hope their Christmas in New York goes well for them and they have a wonderful time together with Tony’s family and maybe even see a Broadway show that they would all enjoy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I’m so happy to see you back!  I was going to send you a message today asking if you were OK, it’s been so long.  You’ve been heavy in my thoughts lately.

The chapter was nicely and lovingly done.  We all know where it is heading and it’s hard to read knowing that, but at the same time, it’s nice to see all the love there.  I hope you had that kind of support in real life.  

I hope you have had a chance to truly get settled in your new home and will now get a chance for more writing.  We look forward to hearing more from you.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Nice to have you back, now I have to start all over again just to remember...

Edited by erik bagge
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, erik bagge said:

Nice to have you back, now I have to start all over again just to remember...

Aw, I am sooo sorry about that. (Not!) I'm grinning evilly. You can't see it, so I'm telling you. :heart::P

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
On 2/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, erik bagge said:

Nice to have you back, now I have to start all over again just to remember...

Ok done rereading it all....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

What a wonderful surprise to come to the site and see a new post from you. I have missed you and your wonderful characters. I am truly looking forward to seeing more posts soon. Big hugs!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

R.Eric,

Thank You So Much for Sharing This Story with Us , I Binged Read the 86 chapters this weekend. I look forward to all future chapters as well ,I’m enjoying Your Vampire Saga too. Stay Happy & Healthy My Friend ! 

Edited by JohnnyC
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..