Jump to content
    R. Eric
  • Author
  • 5,446 Words
  • 680 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

North Meets South, Worlds Collide - 90. 2009 Ends

Next chapter the battle begins. I needed to get them beyond Christmas. It isn't all sad. In fact, there are some great moments I had with Daniel, which you know is Tony.

No one really moved at first as the last notes faded. The choir couldn’t go down as they came into the choir loft. Not to break any spell they had woven, lights in the church came in a bit dimly.

“That was incredible!” Sasha said in a hushed tone. He was still in awe. He sighed and wiped his face near his eye to get rid of the moisture from his face. He had been moved and that caused some tears.

I had the same thing, but I wasn’t crying. It was inspirational. I noticed many here were feeling the same way. It was art!. Anything that brings emotions to someone, even anger, that was art. Tasha was using what every female carried with them, a tissue to take care of the problem.

“Everyone knows what Mitch and I are doing after this?” Tony asked the family. “We will be home after we do that. It will probably be very late when we get home.”

“Or very early,” I smiled. “Depending on how you view it. Hopefully, before sunrise.”

Melissa smiled, her normal personality rising to the surface, “Yes, Uncle Tony, we all know what you’ll be doing.” She took my left hand and pointed at my engagement ring. “It’s the anniversary of the night you gave Uncle Mitch this huge rock!” She grinned a bit evilly, “Now, you know why I told Sister pain-in-the -ass she was so wrong about you and Uncle Mitch. Your love for each other is certainly not wrong.”

Tony chuckled and hugged his niece. “I remember. You told her and the whole class she was full of shit.”

Melissa nodded quickly, “She told that same class you were going to Hell for being gay.” She shrugged, “I merely told her just as loud as she did to the class, she was full of shit!” She frowned as she still felt strongly about it. She pointed at Tony and me. “Something I never apologized for or ever will!” She smiled sweetly with practiced ease. “I will say, unless she has had a holy enema she’s still full of shit!”

Tony smiled, hugging Melissa. He looked at her father Al. “I promise to return your car in one piece.”

Al shrugged, “I know you will.”

“Hell!” Melissa smiled. “Uncle Tony and Uncle Mitch could buy you a new one! Additional ones for mom and even me!”

“We bought you a car for college!” Kathy stated in surprise.

Melissa nodded, “Yes, a very sensible small car. Good gas milage and all that.” She waved her hands at her uncles. “They could buy me something flashy! A BMW, a Corvette or even a Mercedes! They have a Mercedes and I heard about Uncle Mitch’s Bronco classic!”

Al smirked, “And when you can afford one on your own, I know you’ll get one!”

I grinned, “And Uncle Tony’s getting another Mercedes!”

“Two!?” Melissa asked incredibly. “Can’t I have one? It’s Christmas!”

“It would be hard to get down the chimney.” Tony laughed. He turned to me and held his hand up where he had my hand in his clasp. “Shall we?”

I nodded, “This time, I made plans ahead of time.”

Tony’s eyes widened, “You did? Why?”

“Because I can. After what you did in Scotland, Rome, you bought Bubba Junior after the original Bubba was totaled,” I shook my head. “All the plans you’ve made for us ahead of time for me…” I tapped him on the chest, “Now it’s my turn!”

Tony grinned, “Okay.”

 

Taking the subway to Central Park South where the carriage rides were booked. This was a Holiday, and most families were at home. There were enough romantic types that merited the hours tonight. This was business! The New York City Horse Carriage Company was not run by idiots. They were making money! Hell, yeah they were. This time I had prearranged to have what was desired.

It was true. New York City did not sleep. We arrived where I went to the young woman at a podium. “Hi, I booked a special carriage for tonight. McKenzie and Delveccio.”

The woman was dressed for the cold, but even in the chill of the air her smiled widened as she nodded, “Of course! They have your carriage ready.” She waved at us and led us where the carriages would ride up to pick up passengers. A man in the distance beside a couple of horses that would pull the elegant white carriage. As the first time, the horses had lights on the leather harness and the carriage itself had lights that lined the edges. It did add a magical touch to the moment.

The man waved back and boarded the cart and drove it up for us to get on. This time, the man got down and came over to us. He stuck his hand out, “You may not remember, but I was the driver the first night when you proposed!” He pointed at Tony. “I’m glad to see you’re still together.” He looked at me. “I got what you asked for. It’s loaded and ready to go.” He waved at the carriage.

“What did you ask for?” Tony was smiling even wider.

I patted his arm and said simply, “Get on and find out!”

There was the silver ice bucket with the bottle of champagne, two champagne glasses hung on hooks. There was an insulated basket on the seat.

Tony was smiling even bigger as he pulled the champagne bottle up to see what kind it was, “Dom Perignon Brut!” He looked at me, “This wasn’t cheap!”

I shook my head, “I don’t know the difference of the years, but it’s supposed to be the best!” I took a glass off the hook and handed it to Tony. “We deserve to not have anything cheap.”

“Here we go!” The driver announced so we would be ready.

“Thank you,” I smiled and opened the bag. I removed the can of Beluga caviar. There was a small flat surface where we could put the caviar on and the sour cream. Those crackers to put the caviar on. The chocolate covered truffles were placed. I unwrapped the cork and used my thumbs to push the cork out. There was the usual “pop” and champagne shot out spilling out which I tried to keep from covering us. I poured Tony’s glass and my own. I raised my glass to him. “From that first moment in church, I knew we would be special together. I proposed the first time right before I took you to North Carolina to meet the McKenzies, but you proposed on this carriage ride. I have never regretted a moment since. This should be a tradition for us. Every Christmas, we will come here and celebrate this moment.” I looked at him firmly, “That means next year and the decades afterwards!” I smiled at him. This cancer would be dealt with but we were to make plans for the future. “I love you, Tony. We have an amazing life. Thank you.”

Now, there were tears again from Tony. He was smiling grandly, “I love you, Mitch. You saved my life. You learned to speak Italian for me. No one has ever done that for me before.”

I smiled back and said softer, “I was very motivated.”

There was often passion. Those times when you are consumed with lust and can’t keep your hands off each other. There is also the times after you find that one person…the comfortable familiarity because you knew each other so well you just fit perfectly…Tony knew me and I knew Tony. After the years we spent together, we merged into two individuals that no longer have to try hard any more to make us fit together. Covering our legs with the thick blanket. Leaning into each other we kissed gently. We were here together now and we would not waste time.

We leaned back and enjoyed the slow ride among the many white lights they put out. New York City was known to not have stars you could see. New Yorkers created some you could see. The pace was slow, but time was so precious.

The sun was causing the horizon to lighten when we got back to the house.

 

It was Christmas morning, so we were prepared to be woken up early.

“Uncle Mitch!” We heard Alik who also pounded on our door. “Uncle Tony! It’s Christmas! Wake up!”

Tony stirred beside me as he moaned a little, “We just got to bed.”

I chuckled as I rolled over to face him, “That is our own fault. If we hadn’t stayed up this morning…”

He pulled me closer to him, which there was no space between us anyway, “That was a wonderful thing we did.” He chuckled, “What you did.”

“We know Igor and Tasha are here now,” I grinned. “I bet Alik got those two up early this morning.”

Tony smiled and sighed, “I remember the early hours Nick would wake me up on Christmas morning. One year it wasn’t even four in the morning! The first Christmas morning he slept in told me he wasn’t a child anymore.” He looked at me. “You never did that, did you?”

“No,” I answered. “My presents were under the tree and for me,” I shrugged. “I’d get them eventually.” I chuckled, “This morning I will need the precious coffee.”

“We stocked up before hand,” Tony smiled. “We have plenty.”

 

 

We, the adults, had promised to only buy for the younger members of the family. Louise’s grandson Bryson and Alik were those young members of the family.

Tony and I got up and dressed to go downstairs.

Alik had divided the presents to make it quicker to get to. He was about to grab one of his, but Sasha stopped him, “Wait.” The smile on his face said Sasha was enjoying his good-natured teasing of Alik.

“You said…” Alik complained.

“I said, when they came down and were ready,” Sasha clarified.

Cousin David waved at us, “You know Uncle Tony has to have his coffee.”

Alik’s face fell a bit as he moaned, “Aw, Dad…”

I shoved Tony toward the kitchen, “Let’s go before there’s a greater problem.” I looked at Tasha and Igor. “You two followed the official kid’s rule about presents, didn’t you?”

Igor looked puzzled, “Kid’s rule?”

Tony nodded, “Yes, things like clothes and books….anything educational doesn’t count as a present.”

Tasha nodded laughing lightly, “Of course.”

Tony and I hurried a little getting the coffee. I got my cold vanilla latte and tony got his extra-large mug of hot coffee.

Sure enough, the boys didn’t get clothes…well, Alik did a local team jacket for his favorite hockey team in Charleston. There was a new computer game system along with the games to play on it. Tony and I had gotten Alik a few movies and television shows…some in Russian.

Nick smiled at his father, “I don’t have to ask if you two had a good night after church.”

Tony nodded, “We had a great night, son.”

Mike grumbled, “And showed how we straights aren’t doing things in our marriages.”

Al nodded, “I saw the Dom Perignon in the refrigerator.”

“And the caviar,” Mike added.

Kathy smiled at us, “Don’t let them tease you.” She looked at her husband, “Al does just fine in the romance department.”

Louise agreed, “So does Mike.” She smiled at her husband and squeezed his hand.

 

This family had grown so much. A man from the United States’ South fell in love with a man from New York! Now the Delveccios had Scottish, Canadian French and now Russians by extension! This was reflected on the large table where we all gathered to eat. I insisted on having some traditional American dishes such as the Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potato Souffle…all these dishes weren’t just one country.. It was a blended house and now a blended table! Now, there were four languages spoken at the table and the usual chaos was still there. There was the usual excitement and anticipation with the youngest members to get back and play the games we’d gotten them. Parents were insisting that they stay at the table and eat!

I leaned in toward Igor, “I hope your family understands about why you are here instead of there with them.”

Igor smiled and nodded, “The family I have here are visiting other family. For Tasha, it was important that she be reunited with Alik.” He smiled, “They understand.” He smiled again a little mischievously. “Besides, this is the first day of Christmas for the Russian Orthodox Church. We celebrate our Christmas in twelve days from now.”

I nodded, “We’ve dealt with that before. You know that you and Tasha are now a part of this family. You will be welcome here anytime.”

The normal few hours for the meal happened and I was pleased that neither Igor nor Tasha was uncomfortable. Tasha’s English was not that strong yet so there were frequent translations done in Russian by Igor, Sasha, Tony and me. Alik and Bryson, Louise’s grandson had no problem talking.

Finally Bryson and Alik were given permission to leave the table.

 

The next day was still a little chaotic, but it was less crowded. The women of the family went shopping! Shopping the day after Christmas!? I know you know I wasn’t a shopper. I was also pleased they took Tasha! I don’t think Tasha expected this part of the acceptance into this family. She had Igor’s family here, but the Delveccios and McKenzies were surprising for her.

Then Tony got a big surprise. From his son Nick!

Nick came in the house with a lovely young woman named Olivia. Twenty-five and blonde. She wasn’t shy. How could she be? She attracted Nick’s attention. That wasn’t surprising, but what shocked Tony was when she held her left hand out. There it was! A sparkling diamond on her ring finger.

Tony almost lost his footing as he stumbled. “How…when…” He stuttered and had a gaping expression. “I knew you dated, but you never mentioned this!”

Nick shrugged, “And you were so open with your relationships? I just knew it was right.” He leaned in toward his father, “She’s not Italian.” He grinned at me and waggled his eyebrows. “She’s Swedish!”

Tony smirked, “That doesn’t matter. How long have you…when did you ask…”

Nick chuckled, “Two years ago we started dating and I just asked her a week ago.”

“Tell me you both will come to the wedding,” Olivia said.

“When will that be?” I grinned.

“Saturday, May twenty-second.” Olivia said proudly.

This damned disease touched everything and a lot of people other than the victim and the people giving support. I saw Tony’s face falter a bit. That date would be at the near end of the first round of chemotherapy and radiation treatment. He would be sick. Nick had asked Olivia before he found out about the cancer. Nick realized the problem, too.

“Oh, Dad,” Nick frowned and touched his father’s arm. “I didn’t know…”

Nick smiled sadly, “I know.” He looked at Olivia, “My son and others in the family just found out I have cancer.” Olivia’s face held shock, so Tony went on hurriedly. “No” He smiled more. “I won’t die before then. Hopefully not at all from this. Don’t think about anything except getting married.” He explained the cancer and treatment to Olivia. “It’s a tough disease and the treatment will be rough, but Mitch and I will be there on the front row for your wedding to give Nick and you support on the special day.” He grinned, “I will eat the special hors d’oeuvres and the wedding cake! We’ll be there.”

It was easy to assign cancer with intelligence. That was the trap. It was a horrible disease, but it was not evil. It did not hate anyone. It attacked the old and the young with indifference. Males and females got it equally. It didn’t care if you were good or bad. It simply was. No one got it as a punishment. Nor would any beliefs give you any protection. Bargains with God or whatever you believe in did not work. Promising to do or not to do anything if you were spared didn’t work. Blaming your lack of faith did not work. There were many testimonies of that happening which told me if was almost constant. I had to make sure Tony didn’t fall into that mindset. My part in this was focused on Tony. As his caregiver I had to keep his morale and spirits up. Keep him positive about this fight. I also read that it was equally important that I keep my spirits up and positive. Many times I read where the caregiver gave so much they forget themselves. Sasha, David and the other family members were my support. I even knew professional counselors were needed in most cases. I could not let Tony down.

 

Then it was Sunday morning and Sasha, David, and I were to fly to Boston to see the Game Room. Tony insisted he drive us to Ronkonkoma to catch the flight which was very short by distance. It was the Christmas Season and all of the airports around the world were busy. We would fly up quickly to come again. The MacArthur Airport was not the big sprawling airports for New York City. It was busy enough. Tony promised to pick us up that evening.

People, myself included, didn’t know there was more than just one Logan International Airport, but five or six! They were all Logan Airport.

Sasha had rented a car for us to go downtown. This was Sunday morning, and the traffic was not as congested as other days.

Putting the address into the GPS we got there in plenty of time. I had been to Boston and married Tony again in this city. Legally. My opinion, no one else said the Game Room was snooty. It was old like Boston. Walls of red brick sprawled grandly. Beautifully manicured landscaped with trees and shrubs that had been in place for decades! It screamed of elegance. There were members that came in and out as this was a gentleman’s club. The Game Room had two bars and a restaurant! One of the bars was a member only sports bar. It was morning! The statement was true, “It’s five o’clock somewhere.”

Inside the Game Room there was an odor. Not unpleasant at all. Good food being served here, oil to polish the wood, and rich, sweet smelling pipe tobacco! One more time. Snooty! The entrance lobby wasn’t that big. There were polished dark wood paneled walls with the head of a massive buck’s head with great antlers mounted over a fireplace which was lit and burned making the crackling sounds as the wood burned. The mantle had various objects and even a mallard duck was caught as it was taking off with its wings spread to take flight. There were rifles on display on the walls as well. Many I knew were antiques. There was a large black leather sofa in front of the fireplace. This was old money that simply said “men.”

A man came in from another room. When he opened the door what was behind the door was the sports bar! We heard the conversations from inside and even saw a little of the bar with the large screens showing a football game was on. Unlike some neighborhood bars, the men in here were not yelling. There was louder volume but like the building and this club if you were a member, you were too snooty to behave like a fanatic! Really!? I wondered if one of those once in a lifetime plays or touchdown got more noise. Men and women in jeans and sweatshirts just like they would anywhere. The man in his twenties that came out to us wore black pants, shirt and a red tie covered by a gray suit vest. He wore a name tag that read “Chris Devenport.” He smiled as he saw us, “Are you our guests this morning?”

David nodded, “We are. I confirmed the showing of this for my wedding. I’m David McKenzie.” He shook Chris’ hand and waved at Sasha, “This is my fiancé Sasha Lebedev.” He waved at me. “This is my cousin and biggest supporter Mitch McKenzie.”

I am so used to having the bad reactions when anyone admits to being gay. I was shocked a little that this man didn’t react badly at all! Why would he? This was the first state to have legal same gender marriage. There was Hawai’i, but that didn’t last long.

Ther man nodded, “Well, thank you for choosing the Game Raoom to have this momentous occasion!”

“Mitch thought of Boston,” David grinned. “He married his husband here. We looked for the right place and this one stuck out.”

Chris nodded and waved at the club around him, “I’ll show you around and answer any questions you have.”

The tour was great, and I kept my eyes on David and Sasha. From their expressions I knew this was the place.

It was Sunday so there was the Sunday Brunch being served which we were invited to join. Eggs of all kinds, bacon of all kinds, steak, seafood…it was all there. It was delicious!

Chris sat with us, but he had other things to do and didn’t stay long. Sasha and David communicated well without words and before Chris left confirmed this was the place for the wedding and reception. Chris brought out the contract and it was signed and finalized.

“Now comes the menu!” I pointed out happily.

“I have a list of names for excellent caterers locally,” Chris said smiling. “Unless you have one already.”

“We only have the cake right now,” David smiled.

Sasha looked at me and asked, “I don’t believe you’ve been separated from Tony very much. That you came here to do this for us means a lot.”

I nodded sadly, “No, we haven’t spent much time without the other, but this is important.” I smiled. “Life should go on as uninterrupted as possible. Making plans for the future is part of that.” I shrugged, “Besides, we’ll be back this evening. It will be fine.” I said that for myself as well as to assure David and Sasha.

 

We weren’t in Boston to play tourists. We would be back and do that later. We took that plane back to Ronkonkoma. I was very happy to see Tony waiting for us. He had stayed to be with Nick and his future daughter-in-law. Olivia was a surprise but would be a welcome addition to the Delveccio family.

 

Things with the family evened out. We still had family at the house. Sasha, David, Igor, Tasha, and Alik discussed the new arrangements for Alik. He would start school again and so would David. Tony and I were flying to Asheville to tell my parents and grandmother what was happening with Tony as his treatment would also begin this coming month. For the immediate future Alik was going back to Charleston to continue school. Plans with his school there and a good school in New York would be made. The last day of the year was approaching. New Year’s Eve. We opted to stay home instead of going to the chaos in Time Square. Except for the young, most New Yorkers did not want to deal with it, avoiding Manhattan completely. Yet the television was on and turned to the channel that was covering the descending ball that was world famous now. There was also Dick Clark! His terrible stroke caused a mixed reaction when he refused to give in. He appeared briefly on Dick Clark’s Rocking Eve. I personally considered him a triumph when he refused to give in and quit.

The countdown came and at midnight, we put our arms through our valued persons’ arm, toasting the New Year and said good-bye to the old one. David, Sasha, and Alik were taking a separate plane back to Charleston as we flew to Asheville. Tony and I had not told my parents we were coming. We had kept in touch with them all this time, but my grandmother didn’t travel anymore, and my mother was the person who cared for her. Earl and Pat helped and visited almost every day, but Mom was the one that kept my grandmother. My mother’s sister Aunt Mary was still selfish, but she did come once a month to see her mother. We knew my parents and grandmother would be there.

We got a rental car and drove to the joined farms of my grandparents and parents. When we got to the house, the backdoor opened and my mother stepped out. She looked puzzled at who had arrived. It was an unknown car. She looked surprised when Tony and I got out. Her smile faded a little as we approached her. An unscheduled visit meant something was wrong, but she hugged us both and waited for us to say what the problem was.

“Is Dad here?” I asked.

Mom nodded and waved at a pasture nearby, “He’s working on repairing a fence.” She reached in her pocket and pulled out a walkie-talkie! Not a cellphone, but a walkie-talkie that I had been given years ago! “Richard, can you stop for now?”

“Is there a problem?” I heard my father’s voice.

My mother looked at us, “Is there a problem?” She asked us.

“There’s something we need to tell you about,” Tony explained.

Mother held her walkie-talkie up and said to Dad, “Mitch and Tony are here an need to talk to us.”

“I’ll be right there.” He had the sense of urgency in his voice.

I knew my mother suspected the gravity of what we were going to tell her about so I hurriedly added, “Yes, it’s serious, but we need to tell you, Dad, and Grandmother. How is Grandmother?”

Mother nodded and smiled sadly, “She’s fine. She gets up and moves around during the day with her walker. She’s still making sense and rests often during the day.” She opened the door for us, “Come in and see.”

We did enter the house that hadn’t really changed in decades! Grandmother was in a recliner as the television was on. A basketball game! She was a huge fan of the North Carolina Tar Heels! She looked up as we came in and she, like my mother, knew something was wrong. “I’m glad to see you, but what’s the problem?”

My father came rapidly in so I turned to Tony.

Tony smiled and nodded slowly, “I have a good chance of beating it, but I have cancer.” There were startled looks from them.

Say what you will, McKenzie’s approach to almost anything may have helped! They always saw the negative.

“He begins treatment in a week,” I added.

“We have some big things planned for May and June,” Tony smiled. “I intend to be there.”

“It’s treatable,” Dad said to be certain.

“Yes,” Tony replied.

Mother sighed, “I’ll make us some coffee.” She touched Tony’s arm. “Then you can tell us about this cancer and the treatments.”

“We’ve got David’s and Sasha’s wedding and my son Nick is getting married!” Tony added. “I have to be there.”

For the next few hours Tony and I told them all about the cancer, treatments, and side effects.

Grandmother touched Tony’s arm, “I know it will be difficult, but you have a good person there as support.”

Tony smiled and looked at me, “I know.”

“And you boys are doing it again,” Dad smirked but now it was more for humor. He was using humor to talk about how badly he had treated me for decades. While he hadn’t come one hundred and eighty degrees, it was perhaps one hundred and seventy degrees. His values had been forced to change.

“Doing what?” Tony asked.

“Another McKenzie is marrying!” Dad shot back with a grin. “And this time marrying a Red!”

I laughed at my father, “We are! And Sasha and Alik are becoming Americans!”

Dad nodded, “Well, at least he’s trying to better himself.”

“Why Boston?” Mom asked and held a hand up, “I know they allowed gay marriage, but there are other states allowing gay marriage now.”

“If we don’t call it marriage,” I nodded. “Yes, there are other states that are joining others allowing domestic partnerships.” I touched Tony, “We were legally married in Boston. When it becomes legal in the rest of the United States, we’ll already be married! So will David and Sasha.”

Grandmother nodded, “I wish I could be there. I am not a McKenzie, but I have gotten to know David after that horrible accident that nearly killed you and Sasha.”

“You most certainly are a McKenzie!” I said back to her. I pointed at her. “You are related to this McKenzie, who is related to David McKenzie.”

Tony’s head became more upright, “I don’t understand why you can’t see it.” He looked at Mom, “I know you will be here caring for your mother, and I know Dad won’t be there alone.” His mind was racing, “Mitch went with David and Sasha to Boston and David was very happy about where they’re having the wedding…” he shoved me lightly, “You know there will be pictures and even a video recording of the wedding.” He waved at Grandmother. “Why not have cameras to broadcast the wedding? She can watch it live!” He grinned evilly at me. “So could your Uncles JC. Thomas, Buddy, Earl…everyone will see it is really happening!””

I rolled my eyes, “You just love to stir the pot.” I shook my head. “David’s mother and father will be there. His brothers Gary and Michael…I doubt his sister Sueann and her husband will be there.” I faltered sadly. “It is a shame what happened to Micheal.”

“I heard they were separated,” Tony said.

“She filed for divorce,” Dad reported and grumbled. “Irreconcilable differences.” He scoffed, “Bernie said the marriage was doomed from the beginning.”

“He never said anything to Michael about it?” I asked.

Dad gave an exaggerated shrug, “What could he say? Don’t marry her?”

“You tried with Tony and I.” I pointed out. I saw Dad’s expression grow a bit sad, so I hurried on, “I know, you thought I would die. You were trying to save my life.”

Dad nodded, “I said it before, I knew you would.” He smiled. “Your marriage has lasted longer than Michael’s and many other regular marriages.”

“You can see there’s real love between you two,” Mom smiled.

Moms were the typical firsts in families that accepted their gay son’s life. My mother had fought the current of distrust and hatefulness.

Tony touched my shoulder and looked at my parents and grandmother, “I’ll talk to David and Sasha. I know something can be arranged.”

I smiled at them, “We will survive this trial with cancer. We WILL not give in!”

 

Being positive about something difficult as the cancer battle made a bad situation not as bad. Tony was now more relaxed and so was I. I didn’t worry about what I could or shouldn’t say. We helped Mom prepare the meal and things were much better.

Tony and I helped clean up and even helped Dad with a few projects such as mending the fence in the pasture. Okay, Tony wasn’t a farmhand, but he cooked very well. We did help.

We finally had to leave to catch a plane to Charleston by way of Charolette. There were no direct flights to Charleston.

Arriving back home we were greeted by Sasha, David, and Alik. Alik had to return to attend school until arrangements could be made to transfer to New York. Language was no longer a problem for Alik, so a good school in New York would be chosen and he would live with Igor and Tasha.

Our tree was still up and weathered our absence well. It was still the Christmas Season for our Russian Orthodox family members.

All of the light approaches to what was to happen this month was soon being tested. Treatment would start and the upcoming Tuesday Tony was having the port inserted. The outcome was supposed to be good…eventually, but Tony was now having to face the truth. We were battling a disease that was deadly. I would watch Tony carefully. We would do whatever is needed for him to win.

Copyright © 2017 R. Eric; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 18
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow ! Thank You So Much For This Latest Chapter, It Was Very Positive And Happy To Boot . The Christmas Holiday Was Beautiful Too For Everyone and That Special Carriage Ride In Central Park ❤️. David & Sasha Checking Out Their Wedding Locale with Mitch Worked out Well . The Visit to Mitch’s Family Farm was Important to Tony & Mitch , Sharing the Cancer News and It’s Treatment . Thank You Again For This Holiday ChapNew York Nyc GIFter 🎄❄️💎😁

  • Love 4
Link to comment

Wonderful chapter, @R. Eric.  Cancer can be terrible.  My brother-in-law is undergoing cancer treatment now, with chemo and radiation.  What he has is too large a mass to operate on.

Looking forward to future chapters on all your open stories.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..