Jump to content
    raven1
  • Author
  • 167 Words
  • 567 Views
  • 22 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
None

Blackbird Singing - 2. Chapter 2-Haiku My New Year Explorations

No warnings. As a novice writer, I want to start small and expand my skills as I learned. These are some Haiku poems that celebrate life and Songkran, the Thai New Year.

Cool crispy green bites

sweet Tyrian purple orbs

Mother of great wines.

 

Sil’vry wet bullets

plunge down from heights above,

wind-driven monsoon.

 

A rising shrill call

awakens every sunrise,

pleading I live here.

 

Gold eyed saurian

blends with an earthen clay pot,

waiting for his food

 

The bright torrent roars,

framed in lush green or white snow,

bring peace to the soul.

 

Water crashes down,

the haunting songs of mountains

clothed in dark evergreen.

 

Songkran, happy time.

Car wash, body wash, drip dry

blessing all, Sanook

 

Warriors send blessings

with buckets and hoses,

water brings laughter.

 

*Songkran -Thai and SE Asian New Year celebration. Thais celebrate the end of the dry season, and the coming of the rainy season which provides the water to begin growing season. Five days of viscous water fights in the streets filled with laughter.

*Sanook -Thai word for a lot of fun.

 

 

I appreciate any comments and feedback and will use them to learn my craft. Your time is precious so I will value it and respond quickly to your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to read my poems.
Copyright © 2023 raven1; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
Thank you for reading this poem.  I encourage comments and will try to respond quickly to them.  My hope is this poem will leave you feeling a little bit happier for reading it.
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Somehow I missed this one.  I love the vivid pictures of this annual celebration and of your life in Thailand.

  • Love 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Backwoods Boy said:

Somehow I missed this one.  I love the vivid pictures of this annual celebration and of your life in Thailand.

Thailand is a very colorful country which loves to celebrate.  They embrace the holidays from many different countries.  Songkran is unique and all Thai, but is being embraced by some of the surrounding nations.  I wish other nations would do as the Thais and focus on joy more than the negative aspects of life.  Thanks for your comments.  They are always appreciated. :hug:

  • Love 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Haiku are a perfect way to start with poetry.  I like these a lot.  They are very descriptive and well done.  Great job! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Haiku are a perfect way to start with poetry.  I like these a lot.  They are very descriptive and well done.  Great job! 

Thanks Val.  I picked Haiku because it seemed to be a good starting place to learn and practice poetry.  I am glad you enjoyed these.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I've always loved the visual aspects of the haiku. They are delicate observations with very specific rules for conveying them, yet so simple to express when you are good with them.

And you ARE good with them! :)

Wonderful snippets of the world through the eyes of another. Thank you!

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am happy that you liked them.  Haiku poems are my favorite type to write.  Your words made me feel very good about what I am doing!  Thanks

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..