Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,266 Words
  • 1,258 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 68. Prompt 500 What took you so long? (II)

A Nelson POV chapter, second use of prompt 500.

“What took you so long? Coach started grumbling five minutes ago,” Jasper said, as we walked up to where he stood with Carolyn.

“Relax. He always gets a little worked up before a game. We’re here now, and ready to roll,” Rob replied.

My best friend poked at the edge of his hair, which was already standing up in red spikes, like small flamettes. He nodded at Ryan, Eric and me, and took in the two tall guys standing behind us.

“Hi, you must be Ryan’s cousin and boyfriend.”

“Yes, I’m Jordan, and this is Caleb. How did you know?”

“Oh, Ryan has been bragging about his cousin coming to see him play, for the last few days. It’s nice to see someone in his family appreciate our awesome second baseman.”

Ryan turned a little red, as Jordan stared at him in surprise. Before he could say anything, Jasper dragged Ryan and Rob off, with an apology and a promise to see us all after the game.

“Yeah, um, that’s my best friend, Jasper. He gets a little wound up when he’s hoping to pitch.”

“No problem. So, where’s the best place to watch the action?” Jordan asked Eric.

“I usually sit near third base, ‘cause that’s where Rob plays. But we also get a good view of second base and the pitching mound. Plus the hitters, of course.”

“Lead the way.”

I made sure to sit next to Caleb when we found a spot. Eric was explaining to Jordan about the baseball statistics he kept for Rob, Ryan and Jasper, while we waited for the game to start. Carolyn had wandered over to talk to some of the other girlfriends of the players.

“Can I ask you some questions?” I asked Caleb.

“Sure.”

“Ryan said you went to college. How long had you dated Jordan by then, and how did you manage to stay a couple, if you were away from each other?”

“Are you graduating this year?”

“No, I’m a Junior, so Eric and I will have another year together, before I leave for college.”

“I understand your worry, but I think you can make it work. Jordan and I were lucky because he got work as a mechanic near my college a few months after I started. But I think we would have stayed a couple anyway.”

“I’m going to apply to colleges which are possible schools for him too. So it should only be for a year. And hopefully, I’ll get something close enough for weekend visits.”

“Skyping and staying in touch in other ways help too. But the most important thing is to share your experiences and show an interest. I don’t know anything about cars or motorbikes, but I still listen to Jordan telling me about his work, I go to car and bike shows, and I let him spend time renovating this ancient truck.”

At this point Jordan turned round and grinned at us. “Are you dissing my Dodge, Cal?”

“Never, Jordie. You know I admire your ability to turn a pile of rust into a truck.”

“Smart ass. Don’t listen to him.”

While they kept the light banter going, I noticed Trevor make his way along the bleachers towards Eric. As always, his presence caused me to feel awkward. He was a really nice guy, and apparently I had been utterly clueless about his crush on me.

“Hey Eric, I thought I’d better catch you before the game starts.”

“Hi, Trevor. No problem. You’re not really dressed for watching baseball.”

This was true, because Trevor was looking very sharp in a shirt with matching jacket and dress slacks.

“I’m on my way to work, but I just wanted to drop off some material for you to read before the GSA meeting on Monday.” He set the plastic bag down next to Eric and leaned in to say a few quiet words in his ear.

I hurried to explain to Jordan and Caleb. “Trevor is the current president of the school GSA, and Eric is going to run for the post next year.”

“Hi, Nelson,” Trevor said and looked at our companions, so I quickly introduced them.

“This is Ryan’s cousin Jordan and his boyfriend Caleb. They’re here to see Ryan play.”

“Nice to meet you.” Trevor shook hands with them, and they spent a few moments talking about what his plans were. It was obvious how ready he was to leave high school and get into the hopefully more mature and accepting world of college education.

I moved down to sit next to Eric, who was leafing through the contents of the bag while keeping a sharp eye out for any signs of the teams appearing.

“Anything interesting?”

“Most of it is rules, regulations and summaries of GSA meetings and events. But there are also some notes Trevor has made about which teachers are likely to be helpful, and what he has done to stop harassment and reassure students who’re worried about coming out. This could be very helpful.”

He let me glimpse a folder, which said ‘Confidential’ on the outside.

“He must trust you to give you those notes.” I lowered my voice to be sure no one heard me.

“Yeah, he said it was OK for you to read them too, but not to show then to anyone else. Will you hang on to the bag while I take notes during the game?”

“Of course.” My reward was a smile and a quick kiss.

“I guess it’s not a big deal to be out in this school.” Caleb’s voice behind us sounded a bit wistful.

Trevor laughed. “Let’s say it’s fairly easy for our local martial arts prodigy and the brother of Rob the popular jock to be out and proud. The school as such is supportive and tries to prevent harassment, but we have our share of stupid people, mostly those confused by religion.”

“Ah, yes. I know all about that. My family is infected by that disease too.”

The bitter tinge in Caleb’s words made tears come to my eyes. Eric noticed and put his arm around my shoulder. We didn’t want to turn around and interrupt the older guys’ talk.

“Even your parents?”

“Them especially. I haven’t spoken to them for almost ten years.”

“Dude, I’m sorry to hear that. It’s easier to ignore when it’s just the random uncle, aunt or grandparent.”

“Yeah, that’s the case with Jordan’s family. His parents just sort of ignore the whole issue, but they’ve gotten OK with me being around.”

“I had to hint their choice was between seeing both of us or neither, so they opted for the sensible road.”

“Do you have brothers and sisters? How do they feel?”

Jordan was the first to reply. “They’re generally OK, sort of ‘whatever’, and one of my sisters really like Cal.”

“My siblings are all younger and most of them live at home, so it’s difficult for them, but they’ve stayed in touch. My oldest sister moved out a year ago, and her boyfriend has a gay brother, so she’s finally getting different viewpoints to counter the influence from my parents. I don’t expect any of them to argue with my parents on the matter, but I hope I’ll eventually be close to my siblings again.”

“I’m sure you will. Our generation is a lot more relaxed, and we’re more likely to question our parents’ opinions because we have access to information.”

“And to other people like us who can prove it’s fine to be who you are and love who you want.”

“Absolutely.”

I’d like to salute the online LGBT communities that are so important to us all.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Finally Jazz appears! A brief description of his appearance and a very short conversation. Then he disappears again!
 

Obviously, my prompt didn’t work. It must be because it wasn’t numbered. So next time, I’ll have to give it one of those numbers that fascinates you so much! I’ll have to think about the best one (666 came to mind, but that number has apparently already been used). Clearly my proposal didn’t look official enough…
;–)

Link to comment

Prompt 1001 “Okay, are you and Carolyn comfortable now, and ready for me to complete the Jazz sandwich?”
;–)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Finally Jazz appears! A brief description of his appearance and a very short conversation. Then he disappears again!

He'll be back next Sunday. ;)  

Spoiler

And he'll be in the shower. :P 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Good advice on how to maintain a relationship. Nelson and Eric have good people around them.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

Good advice on how to maintain a relationship. Nelson and Eric have good people around them.

Yeah, they're lucky.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

:read:  Hmm, high school, athletes, red-heads...a rusty truck.  This sure feels like home!  Great to see Jasper again...when's the shirt coming off?  OH--and a fun chapter too min ven.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

@ColumbusGuy  Ha, ha, you're right, it does sound familiar now you mention it. More Jasper next Sunday, but then I'm out of chapters. I'm glad you had fun reading this part. Thanks for being one of my faithful readers who always leave comments.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Sorry for the late comment but my head was plaguing me when I read this. I want you to know reading this was a bright spot on an otherwise pain filled day. Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
6 hours ago, dughlas said:

Sorry for the late comment but my head was plaguing me when I read this. I want you to know reading this was a bright spot on an otherwise pain filled day. Thank you.

:hug:  thank you for being a faithful reader, dugh, even when your head is giving you trouble. I'm glad the chapter brightened your day a little. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Love the juxtaposition of Caleb's family issues over being gay, with the entirely different situation for Eric and Nelson. We need to read stories like this, where being gay is accepted with open arms, but we also need to hear how that's not always the case. Wonderful, thought-provoking and touching conversation, Tim. Well done! Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
56 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Love the juxtaposition of Caleb's family issues over being gay, with the entirely different situation for Eric and Nelson. We need to read stories like this, where being gay is accepted with open arms, but we also need to hear how that's not always the case. Wonderful, thought-provoking and touching conversation, Tim. Well done! Cheers... Gary....

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, we should highlight how things should be as well as pointing out what's unacceptable. And Jordan gets the 'middle' option, where the matter is sort of ignored. This is actually fairly usual in Denmark, because parents who don't approve are aware most of society will condemn them for not accepting something which is widely considered normal (i.e. same-sex couples). But at least, he can hope his family ends up getting used to the relationship, especially if they like Caleb as a person.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..