Jump to content
    Windkaizer
  • Author
  • 1,457 Words
  • 714 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Love is just 4 letters - 2. Chapter 2

Chapter 2
Brandon
The name Brandon. My full name is Brandon Garrett Warner.
Personally I hate my middle name, so whenever someone asks about it, I say. “It stands for something you’ll never find out.”
Most people just look at me weird, but they never ask about it anymore. I’m 5’9, 176 lbs. exactly, and I’m not exactly a stranger to the gym either. I’m not ripped, but I do have a good muscle tone. Dark chocolate skin, short cropped hair. Black belt in Judo, and steel gray eyes. Born on March 21, 1977. I’m a lawyer for the state of Virginia. Norfolk, to be exact. The only way I’m a lawyer at this age is because of my extremely good grades throughout law school, so they let me take my tests early. I’m married to my college sweetheart, Jodi, and at the moment, we’re not getting along so well. We’ve been together for the past five years, but we didn’t get married until my last year in law school. That was a year ago, now we are on the verge of getting a divorce. We do have a lot of money, mostly my money because the fact that I work in the law firm of divorce. Surprising how many people come in here trying to get a divorce, by the way my marriage is going at the moment; I’ll be in here next.
For example, here’s the argument we had last night:
“Why the hell aren’t you listening to me?” Jodi yelled at me for no apparent reason.
I looked at her, and wearily replied, “I’ve had along day. One woman was so difficult with actually getting to the divorce; she took up half of my day. Another came in with the same problem. So don’t blame me if I seem a little unreceptive. Now what were you saying?”
My excuse made her angrier, she practically yelled, “You think a hard day can make you come home and not pay any attention to your wife?!” No she did not just ask that question. “I’m one of the people that you should always cater to! Sometimes I’m more important than your cases! Really, I’m more important than Rayne!”
This bitch was ‘bout to get herself cut. “What do you want me to do? Huh? Do you want me to quit my job so we can land up in a dirty as hell as apartment? My salary is what keeps this house together, so don’t come bitching to me about how to run my job and/or my life.”
I walked up the stairs leaving her downstairs fuming.
And that’s what went on last night. We really are about to get rid of each other.
At the office, during my lunch break, I decided to call Rayne. Knowing him, he’s probably at some hotel on his tour that he had started a few months before the BET Awards.
I dialed the number, and surprisingly he picked up after the second ring. “Hey Brandon!” Was his as always happy reply. “How ya’ been?”
I had to answer truthfully. “Not so well man. Jodi and I have been arguing basically like every day now. I think I might have to call on myself and file for a divorce.”
Rayne replied supportively, but I could hear the humor in his voice as I made that joke. “Yeah, well I hope ya’ll work that out.”
“I get the feeling that we won’t be able to work it out. She’s really getting on my nerves, and she feel like I don’t pay any attention to her.”
“I’m sorry to hear that. But I do have some good news!”
“What’s that?” I questioned.
“I’ll be coming to Norfolk as the final city for my tour next week!”
“Really! That’s great! Do you want me to come see you?” I said just a little too excited.
“Of course I do! Also, as an added bonus, I’ll be staying there for a month. I persuaded Diddy to let me have some time off.”
“Great where will you be staying?”
“At the Marriot.”
“Nonsense! You’ll stay with me.”
“Wait. I thought you said you and Jodi were having marital problems. Wouldn’t my staying there just cause more of them?”
“Right, I forgot about her. Well, if I play my cards right, she’ll be out of there by the time you get here.”
“Oooookay. You sound just a little bit too excited. Are you that eager to get rid of Jodi?”
“Yeah, I guess I never really realized how much I really didn’t like her in the first place. It must have shown up again when I started to ignore her.” That made me think. “She just started to get on my nerves for no apparent reason. Irritating me for the smallest things in the house.” I paused again. “Yeah, it’s definitely time for us to get rid of each other.”
I could here him shuffle around a bit. “What are you doing?”
“Hmm? Oh, I’m just folding some clothes before I leave tomorrow for Washington D.C. Why do you ask?”
Honestly, I had forgotten why I had asked in the first place. I sort of lost myself when he started talking. Don’t know what had happened to me started talking, but when he asked that question, I came out of my self-induced trance.
“Oh, just asking. So you’re going to be in D.C next week?”
“Yep, last stop on the tour before my vacation at your place.”
“You know Shannon lives up there.” He shuffled again in the background, nervously. “You know she’s had the biggest crush on you since ya’ll first met in college. You two should get together when you get there Friday.”
I heard him gritting his teeth on the other end as he answered. “ No, I probably won’t be able to get with her. Tight schedule you know.” He relaxed, I heard his sigh. “Look,” he began, “I have to go. I have to make an appearance in the hotel lobby. Talk to you later.”
“Yeah, later man.” I hung up.
(What was with him?) I thought quietly. (He seemed way too nervous when I mentioned Shannon. Did he have something for her too.) I smiled like the Cheshire Cat. (I WILL have to spend some time on this.)
The next two days I was pretty busy. I was getting the divorce papers ready to show to Jodi, what I was looking for though was the shocked look that was going to appear on her face. Every thing went exactly as planned.
When I got home, Jodi was sitting on the sofa watching TV. I shook my head thinking that she had been there the better part of the day.
I went over to stand behind her on the couch, and said, “Have you been here all day?”
She visibly jumped and looked over her shoulder at me then relaxed. She replied sheepishly though, and replied. “Yes, I have. But I went job hunting this morning over the internet.”
I nodded, but decided I needed to stop beating around the bush, so I got right to the point.
“Jodi, we need to talk.” I turned the TV off with the remote.
“What is it boo?” She questioned. “Is something wrong?”
It was hard not to be sarcastic and say ‘No, nothings the matter. Just you.’ But I fought and said, “Yes something is the matter. Us.” I raised my hand to stop her from interrupting. “Look, we’re just really not getting along lately. Half of the time you just yell at me for no apparent reason. Most of the time I just ignore you, but you still annoy the hell out of me. You have to take money from me to get the stuff that you want and not the stuff that you need. I can’t take this anymore Jodi, so here.” I handed her the divorce papers. “Sign these, and lets get this over with.”
The look on her face, and the little person inside of me did a victory dance. I had expected a tantrum and her throwing things, but they never came. Instead, she got up, went into the office, and got a pen. She slowly signed the three papers, and then she handed them to me. She got up, went up stairs, and got a briefcase. She came down with some of her things (I presume) in the briefcase.
Before she got to the door, she looked at me and said, “I’ll be back for the rest of my stuff later on.” She headed out the door, got into her car, and drove off.
When I heard those tires race away, I let out a shout of joy.

Copyright © 2011 Windkaizer; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..