Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Vegemite

I'm truly astounded to see the wondrous food from Down Under, Vegemite, besmirched and insulted!

So appalled am I that I am replying to these statements in a new thread, to defend this Australian bio-warfare program wonderful tasty treat!

It's not limited to a spread for bread... the Aussies use it for all sorts of thing (though many of them are said to be prohibited by the Geneva Convention).

Posted Image

About an hour ago, in preparation for making this post, I had a toasted English muffin. On one half, I had Marmite and butter, and on the other, Vegemite and butter. Marmite and Vegemite taste very similar, but there are differences. The first is texture; Marmite is gooey, whereas Vegemite is more the consistency of spreadable peanut butter. There are also subtle differences in taste. I think Marmite is slightly more salty, and Vegemite has a stronger tangy taste of yeast. They are, however, very similar.

Vegemite, BTW, is available in a chain of import stores called "Cost Plus World Market" for just over eight dollars. That's the only place in the US, except for online gourmet stores, I've ever found it, and that's where I got my current jar. Marmite is avialable in the US at most UK import stores, though I usually just bring mine back from the UK.

Oh, by the way, Vegemite - like its close cousin Marmite - is possibly the most revolting substance ever produced and claimed to be edible... :evil:

That's not true! 16 million Australians can't be wrong. :P

I think you are criminally underdescribing how utterly, revolting, foul, distasteful vegemite (which is supposed to be a marmite copy) is. :devil:

They claim it to be edible??? :evil:

It's edible! I have it often, including an hour ago. :P

A friend of mine bought a jar of Vegemite at a local gourmet(???) shop. We tried it. IMO it's wonderful if your aim is to induce vomiting.

Colin B)

Are you sure you had it right? Never put it on thick; just a very, very light touch on buttered toast, maybe a quarter of a teaspoonfull per slice. Slathered on thick, like jam, it's revolting.

I saw claims in the chapter thread that Vegemite is evil. This is just not so, and I can prove it by pointing out that ;'it's one of my favorite foods! (and how could I like something evil?) It's great on buttered toast, and the best toast I've ever had is real sourdough bread, butter, a touch of Vegemite, and a touch of Coleman's English Mustard (one of my favorite hot mustards). Awesome!!

Vegemite is also superb for cooking, and on sandwiches. One of my favorites (which I just decided I'm having for lunch, because writing about it made me hungry!) is in a peanut butter and pepperoni club;

Spread the bread (or sandwich wrap) with Vegemite, then peanut butter. Add pepperoni slices, pickle slices, provolone cheese, and pepper sauce (Tabasco is ideal).

Vegemite is also superb for cooking, and on sandwiches. One of my favorites (which I just decided I'm having for lunch, because writing about it made me hungry!) is in a peanut butter and pepperoni club;

Spread the bread (or sandwich wrap) with Vegemite, then peanut butter. Add pepperoni slices, pickle slices, provolone cheese, and pepper sauce (Tabasco is ideal).

Be aware that C James is a Certified Goat and thus and an expertin the consumption of inedible food.

C James receipts should be consumed under control laboratoryconditions.

The site does not accept any liability for any uncontrolled consumption.

Well, i had an Australian roommate 20 years ago when i was on a student exchange program in Boston for 6 months.. and this guy (which i am still friends with) of course was and is a big Vegemite fan. I am not sure if it is an "aquired taste" like quite some gormet food.. but somehow he got me hooked up on the stuff. I really like it!

Of course it tastes best if you eat it in Australia (pretty much like quite some wine taste best where they are produced).

So maybe we should all spend our next vaccation in Queensland and eat lots of Vegemite (which would help re-building Queensland as well.. hit twice by disasters in the last months !).

I'm truly astounded to see the wondrous food from Down Under, Vegemite, besmirched and insulted!

So appalled am I that I am replying to these statements in a new thread, to defend this Australian bio-warfare program wonderful tasty treat!

As they say a goat will eat anything including the packaging, so you saying you eat the stuff isn't much of an endorcement.

I love the few Aussies I know, but that is one thing I think they enjoy because must people can't stand it. As I often kid them, how can they anything when their toilets drain counterclockjwise.

• Like 1

A friend of mine bought a jar of Vegemite at a local gourmet(???) shop. We tried it. IMO it's wonderful if your aim is to induce vomiting.

Are you sure you had it right? Never put it on thick; just a very, very light touch on buttered toast, maybe a quarter of a teaspoonfull per slice. Slathered on thick, like jam, it's revolting.

But... but... there were no instructions on the jar! How are we supposed to know how to serve It That Shall Not Be Named?

We tightly sealed the lid on the jar and wrapped it with many layers of duct tape figuring that it would be able to withstand any effort of the noxious concoction to extricate itself. Yesterday morning we went into the kitchen to retrieve It That Shall Not Be Named and place it in the trash for the usual Wednesday pickup. The duct tape had been eaten away and the plastic cover and the spoon we had used were a melted mass that lay in a small pool of something truly evil. The jar was still full of It That Shall Not Be Named other than the teaspoonful that we had extracted for our horrifying taste test. There was a bit of poisonous fog wafting from the top of the jar. We called the bomb dispersal squad from the Berkeley Police Department, and when they arrived and learned that what they were supposed to deal with was It That Shall Not Be Named they refused to enter the house, sealed all of the doors and windows from the outside, completely wrapped the house in a layer of yellow "Do Not Cross" police tape, shouted that we were not to leave, and then they left. We're still trying to find a way to escape. Oh, and the jar and accompanying remnants of the lid and spoon have melted their way through the counter and cabinet and floor and there's a large hole in the crawl space through which we can see at the very depth what looks like a lake of boiling, flaming lava.

Colin B)

Edit: Chris discovered that we can escape through the attic, and we're tying bedsheets together so we can lower ourselves to the ground. Once we're free we'll call an exorcist to see if he can return our house to a habitable state.

• Like 2

Yesterday morning we went into the kitchen to retrieve It That Shall Not Be Named and place it in the trash for the usual Wednesday pickup.

Is that legal? In this country, they have a special section in the dump for noxious chemicals like battery acid or lead-based paint. I think you'd have to take marmite/vegemite there. It would probably also be a good idea to hide it in a vat of CFCs or something benign like that so that they didn't see it immediately and make you take it away again.

LF

Vegemite, BTW, is available in a chain of import stores called "Cost Plus World Market" for just over eight dollars. That's the only place in the US, except for online gourmet stores, I've ever found it, and that's where I got my current jar. Marmite is avialable in the US at most UK import stores, though I usually just bring mine back from the UK.

So, your country allows the import of vegemite and marmite, but not haggis? Well, that says something.

That's not true! 16 million Australians can't be wrong.

I offer budgie smugglers as rebuttal, m'lud.

I've tried many kinds of cuisines but I haven't tried vegemite yet...

It can't be that bad....can it? :lol:

Yes it is.

On its own, it is pure hell. However it is a natural source of Monosodium glutamate, which the most powerful flavour enchancer available

If you stick your knife in a jar and pull it out , and apply it to a cheese sandwich, your are using too much (recommended max is 4g). However if you add it to a sauce or gravy, it is beautiful. But be careful with how much you use. A small amount is good, too much and it is the Trash Can/ dustbin.

Such skepticism! :P

I had made another sandwich today, using a tortilla-style wrap. I spread it with Vegemite, almond butter (I prefer it to peanut butter, when i can get it) then came peperoni slices, pickles, pepper jack cheese, Tabasco sauce, and a few diced back olives. It was great! (I've always been a fan of anything that mixes pickles and peanut butter).

I also love vegemite on avacados.

Well, i had an Australian roommate 20 years ago when i was on a student exchange program in Boston for 6 months.. and this guy (which i am still friends with) of course was and is a big Vegemite fan. I am not sure if it is an "aquired taste" like quite some gormet food.. but somehow he got me hooked up on the stuff. I really like it!

Of course it tastes best if you eat it in Australia (pretty much like quite some wine taste best where they are produced).

So maybe we should all spend our next vaccation in Queensland and eat lots of Vegemite (which would help re-building Queensland as well.. hit twice by disasters in the last months !).

That's a great idea! They have a lot of good non-vegemite food too, like Shane's favorite, XXXX beer.

As they say a goat will eat anything including the packaging, so you saying you eat the stuff isn't much of an endorcement.

I love the few Aussies I know, but that is one thing I think they enjoy because must people can't stand it. As I often kid them, how can they anything when their toilets drain counterclockjwise.

But but but... I am a very discerning goat. I am fond of many fine goods, such as fresh garlic butter (awesome on waffles, or pancakes). I make my own chili, including a touch of chocolate. :ph34r:

So, your country allows the import of vegemite and marmite, but not haggis? Well, that says something.

I offer budgie smugglers as rebuttal, m'lud.

Hrmmm!?!?!?

Haggis is strictly prohibited by treaty, so the US has no choice but to deny entry. (The US ratified the Biological weapons convention many years ago, and is thus bound by its terms).

And what, budgie smugglers? That means speedos... and if you're prepared to try to defend the position that speedos on hot guys are a bad idea, and do so on a predominantly gay board, good puck with that. :P :P :P

I've tried many kinds of cuisines but I haven't tried vegemite yet...

It can't be that bad....can it? :lol:

It's actually very good. Just be careful to spread on a small amount (maybe a gram). I've seen people try to apply it like jam, and get way too much.

C'mon you guys! Vegemite is the food of the Gods! :2thumbs: Firm, tasty, maluable and so so versatile and dont we wish other things were like that LOL :devil: . With cheese, tomato and chilli on crackers accompanied by an ice cold beer.... Heaven!! 0:) Lots of vutamin B12 too, so very good for you! :great:

Vegemite has at least one use:

Trouble with ants in your kitchen? Take a paper plate and put about a tablespoon of Vegemite on it and put it where the ants seem to be coming in or where they congregate. They'll take it back to the nest and feed it to the queen. The queen will die and soon you won't have a problem with ants.

Colin B)

• Site Administrator

I looove Vegemite! and everytime a non-aussie eats it... they always spread it way to thickly - its quite funny lol

I like it as a dip with carrots and stuff, and on pizza with prawns on top :P

You scare me Bee :blink:

:D

• 3 months later...

Hrmmm. Banning Marmite... :lmao:

Marmite and vegemite are similar, though not the same. I like both, each has it's uses. Marmite is gooey, like a very thick liquid (about like blackstrap molasses) aqnd is easier to use for marinades, etc. Vegimite is a little more akin to peanut butter in consistency, and haqs a slightly different taste. I love it on toast. :)

• 1 month later...

Hrmmm. Banning Marmite... :lmao:

Marmite and vegemite are similar, though not the same. I like both, each has it's uses. Marmite is gooey, like a very thick liquid (about like blackstrap molasses) aqnd is easier to use for marinades, etc. Vegimite is a little more akin to peanut butter in consistency, and haqs a slightly different taste. I love it on toast. :)

late into the discussion, but as an Australian, I have to admit that while I am not a great fan of vegemite, marmite has no redeeming features at all.

CJ your earlier comment about almond butter - did you know you can make almond butter - or peanut butter, or , I think, any other nut butter(!) - by pureeing shelled nuts with a little (VERY little) oil. It won't be quite the same as "bought" almond/peanut/whatever butter - less salt, no emulsifyers - but it does work.....

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

you say you have to go to a specialty store to get vegemite, where i come from you just rock on up to the shelves and pluck it off, at any supermarket, mind you they are our neighbours. (excuse the spelling, it's correct over here.)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..