Jump to content
  • entries
    47
  • comments
    582
  • views
    4,405

Week Three Begins


Wayne Gray

774 views

I now have two weeks under my belt, and I'm beginning week three of my workout/meal regimen. I'm still getting used to some things, but it's a lot easier to roll out of bed at 440 than it was when I started. So far I've lost four pounds and gained strength on the bench and under the bar. It's rare for me to do both at once. I am enjoying this combination of routine and meal planning.

If you're interested at all, here's what I'm doing. I hid the details behind spoilers ... because, frankly, most just won't care. lol

Meals
 

Spoiler
 

* Zero calories until lunchtime (not even creamer in coffee).
* I only eat twice a day - lunch and dinner (other than snacks - see below).
* Snacks consist only of fresh fruit and/or vegetables. I typically have one before dinner, so I eat less later.
* I focus first on fruits and vegetables. I learned that the average person eats about three pounds of food a day, no matter what makes up those pounds. So I try to "take up space" with high nutrition, low-calorie foods.
* Lean protein, grains with lots of soluble fiber, legumes, and greens make up most of my dinners.
* The only calories I typically drink are in a single glass of red wine every night. If it wasn't recommended by my doctor I wouldn't even have that.

Workout
 

Spoiler
 

* I'm on a five-day routine with two rest days a week (Wednesday and Sunday are typically my rest days).
* I do HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) every time I work out. I only go 16-18 minutes. HIIT is designed to be effective and fast.
* I work out based on the progressive overload principle. This principle focuses on forcing the body to adapt to increased weight, repetitions, or less rest between exercises. I'm focusing on increasing the weight of what challenges me for five repetitions. IE: If I can benchpress a certain weight more than five times, then it's time to move up in weight.
* I don't work sore muscles. The way my routines are spaced each body part has just barely recovered from the previous workout.
* I work big muscle groups and abdominals twice a week, small ones once.
* I only lift for about a half-hour a day. That means every single repetition is important. Muscle failure is the goal, every single time.
* I work out on an empty belly. All calories burned are from whatever is stored in my body, and until I eat at lunch I continue to burn calories in an attempt to replenish glycogen stores in muscle. Those calories are coming from fat, so long as I don't go too long in a fasting state. This is tricky. If you go too long without food your body will lose muscle preferentially over fat. I can actually feel when this begins to occur. That sickly, shaky feeling from being too hungry? For me, it signals that my body has switched to burning muscle, that I've moved from fasting to starvation mode. I know this because of careful tracking of maximum effort during weightlifting. I noticed that when I was in that "starvation mode" for longer than a few hours I lost strength in every exercise, even after I had eaten something. That's counterproductive, so even if it means violating my meal plan, if I get the shakes I will eat no matter what time of day it is.

What I'm doing is working. It means going to bed early, getting up before the sun, closely monitoring my meals, and working really hard, but it's moving the needle in the direction it needs to go. More important is the fact that I can maintain this approach.

I'm looking forward to the end of the week when I weigh in again. I've not been below 205 lbs in a while ... and I might hit that mark by Sunday.

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 3

21 Comments


Recommended Comments

36 minutes ago, mollyhousemouse said:

a healthy, happy geek 😆

Hehehe. True. One that gets to retire (eventually), hopefully!

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Sounds like things are going well!

So far, yes. The really important bit is how good I feel. 🙂

Thanks, tim.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

That all sounds good Wayne.  Well done!

 

Thank you, Mike. It got a lot easier when I began to focus on eating the things I should eat vs not eating what I shouldn't. There are still things I limit, but it's far simpler to say no to bacon when my belly is full of oatmeal, apples and Greek yogurt.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

Good for you, Wayne. Positive results always makes it easier to keep going.

They really do. This is very odd for me, in that I'm seeing the numbers move a lot faster than I ever have before. Four pounds in two weeks isn't much for many people, but my body steadfastly resists change ... so this is huge for me. 🙂

Thanks, Reader.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

Thank you, Mike. It got a lot easier when I began to focus on eating the things I should eat vs not eating what I shouldn't. There are still things I limit, but it's far simpler to say no to bacon when my belly is full of oatmeal, apples and Greek yogurt.

Yeah.. I have the same issues with sugar .. funnily your answer works for me too … hmmm maybe healthy eating, whole real food is the answer to many things. 

Shop the outside of the store .. venture in the middle only briefly!!   And cook. Yes, I'm terrible, but I can make our granola and a few other things. tim is the cook in our house. I'm grateful for him.

We are really trying to eat more effectively for many reasons, but mostly health. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, rickproehl said:

But we love our writer geek - well done.

Thanks, rick.

If anybody ever wants to geek out or want information on exercise just let me know. 😄

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Yeah.. I have the same issues with sugar .. funnily your answer works for me too … hmmm maybe healthy eating, whole real food is the answer to many things. 

Shop the outside of the store .. venture in the middle only briefly!!   And cook. Yes, I'm terrible, but I can make our granola and a few other things. tim is the cook in our house. I'm grateful for him.

We are really trying to eat more effectively for many reasons, but mostly health. 

If we have to open a box to make dinner, then we have taken a very critical look at ingredients before ever putting that box into our shopping cart. If something has ingredients we can't pronounce or preservatives, it doesn't go home with us. This sort of forces us to follow your advice above. Multigrain breads, sauces, whole grain pastas, canned beans and some vegetables (ones we can't get fresh), and spices. I think that's about it for the middle of the store. Most of our stuff is on the edge. It means there's more prep and a little more skill required, but cooking can be fun. At a minimum meals will contain things you know. You won't have to guess if it has propyl paraben, or an "acceptable amount of formaldehyde".

You make homemade granola ... mmmm ... you just got even sexier.

Edited by Wayne Gray
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Wayne Gray said:

If we have to open a box to make dinner, then we have taken a very critical look at ingredients before ever putting that box into our shopping cart. If something has ingredients we can't pronounce or preservatives, it doesn't go home with us. This sort of forces us to follow your advice above. Multigrain breads, sauces, whole grain pastas, canned beans and some vegetables (ones we can't get fresh), and spices. I think that's about it for the middle of the store. Most of our stuff is on the edge. It means there's more prep and a little more skill required, but cooking can be fun. At a minimum meals will contain things you know. You won't have to guess if it has propyl paraben, or an "acceptable amount of formaldehyde".

You make homemade granola ... mmmm ... you just got even sexier.

Sexy, am I? Lol.   You have an instant pot, how dare you buy canned beans!  Frozen veg is convenient and best after fresh. Omg I am talking about food!  That’s enough of that! 

  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

Sexy, am I? Lol.   You have an instant pot, how dare you buy canned beans!  Frozen veg is convenient and best after fresh. Omg I am talking about food!  That’s enough of that! 

More than that ...

You talked about the INSTANT POT.

Nothing else needs to be said.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Thorn Wilde said:

I'm glad you feel like you're on track, Wayne. Good job! ❤️ 

Me too! Thank you, Thorn.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Wayne Gray said:

More than that ...

You talked about the INSTANT POT.

Nothing else needs to be said.

tim made me say it!

  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, MichaelS36 said:

tim made me say it!

I’ll admit, it sounded like you were channeling tim. 😃

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..