[Shadowgod] Silly Season Polling: Cliffhangers

Cliffhanger survey  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which author uses the most cliffhangers?

• C James
    • Graeme
    • Shadowgod
    • I haven't read enough of their stories to form a judgement
  2. 2. Which author has used the worst cliffhanger?

• C James
    • Graeme
    • Shadowgod
  3. 3. Which author uses the least number of cliffhangers?

• C James
    • Graeme
    • Shadowgod

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graeme, has it escaped your attention that there are no cliffhangers so far in LTMP? :P That sort of torpedoes your claims, I think. :P

The last chapter was a blatant cliff-hanger. Sorry, but this is a fact.

And let's not, LET'S NOT forget the UK contender, Camy, who has some cliff-hangers that rival CJ's AND Shadowgod's. His latest chapter makes it clear.

Then, the question is: Is there a cliff-hanger epidemic around here?

Damn...FTL has soooo nasty cliffhangers that I clearly voted for CJ!! :P

Not even Shadowgod leaves his heroes to cook under the sun!! :P

But they were essentially unharmed at that point, just working on their tans, and Eric even said "Have a nice day". How can it be a cliffhanger with "Have a nice day"? 0:)

The last chapter was a blatant cliff-hanger. Sorry, but this is a fact.

And let's not, LET'S NOT forget the UK contender, Camy, who has some cliff-hangers that rival CJ's AND Shadowgod's. His latest chapter makes it clear.

Then, the question is: Is there a cliff-hanger epidemic around here?

Now, now, Bondwriter, you can't say the last chapter of LTMP was a cliffhanger; by a definition, a cliffhanger has to leave the protagonists in major peril. Uncertainty as to whether or not they kissed hardly qualifies.

This is why the next-to-last chapter of FTL wasn't a cliffhanger; either Steve was dead, which would not be a cliffhanger, or he wasn't dead becuase the shot that saved him had ALREADY been fired before the end of the chapter.

Now, for an example of a real cliffhanger, I give you LiS 26! That was a real one!

And I'm very much looking forward to reading Camy's latest chapter of Serpah, hopefully sometime today. :)

Edit to add; just saw shadowgod's post denying any involvment with a cliffhanger epidemic. This is veeery interesting... Id do indeed notice an increase in cliffhangers since Shadowgot came to GA, and I have indeed heard rumors that he is running a secret cliffhanger school.. Hmmm...

Now, now, Bondwriter, you can't say the last chapter of LTMP was a cliffhanger; by a definition, a cliffhanger has to leave the protagonists in major peril. Uncertainty as to whether or not they kissed hardly qualifies.

This is why the next-to-last chapter of FTL wasn't a cliffhanger; either Steve was dead, which would not be a cliffhanger, or he wasn't dead becuase the shot that saved him had ALREADY been fired before the end of the chapter.

Now, for an example of a real cliffhanger, I give you LiS 26! That was a real one!

And I'm very much looking forward to reading Camy's latest chapter of Serpah, hopefully sometime today. :)

You do realize by that logic 26 was not a cliffhanger either right? Either he was or he wasn't so no real cliffhanger. Granted I could have been really evil and cut the chapter just as the bike went sideways. That would have been worse. Ya know sorta like having the sound of a gun shot pierce the air and having steve's (not me though he was probably wishing :mellow: ) body slump to the sand.

You do realize by that logic 26 was not a cliffhanger either right? Either he was or he wasn't so no real cliffhanger. Granted I could have been really evil and cut the chapter just as the bike went sideways. That would have been worse. Ya know sorta like having the sound of a gun shot pierce the air and having steve's (not me though he was probably wishing :mellow: ) body slump to the sand.

ACK!!!

Now, now Shadow, that's not true!!! You ended LiS 26 with hints that the character was dead... They were also heavy at the crash scene itself.

And just becuase Steve's lifeless body (And no, I don't wish it was you! Blackheart had his motorcycle crash and ended up addled, after all 0:) slumped to the sand, covered with fresh blood and gore, does not necessarily mean anything bad had happened!

In fact, wasn't it you yourself who said that as the shot that saved him had already occured, it wasn't really a cliffhanger? I know I can find that e-mail if I look... :P

ACK!!!

Now, now Shadow, that's not true!!! You ended LiS 26 with hints that the character was dead... They were also heavy at the crash scene itself.

And just becuase Steve's lifeless body (And no, I don't wish it was you! Blackheart had his motorcycle crash and ended up addled, after all 0:) slumped to the sand, covered with fresh blood and gore, does not necessarily mean anything bad had happened!

In fact, wasn't it you yourself who said that as the shot that saved him had already occured, it wasn't really a cliffhanger? I know I can find that e-mail if I look... :P

Why would I say that if I am all about a secret cliffhanger school?? I may have posed my hopes in an email but I would surely not make any assumptions on your story line.

And there were clear indications Jacob was alive at the end of 26 his eyes were open as he got put into the ambulance.

• Site Administrator
Graeme, has it escaped your attention that there are no cliffhangers so far in LTMP? :P That sort of torpedoes your claims, I think. :P

Not at all. Firstly, there are chapter endings in LTMP that some people would consider to be cliffhangers. Personally, I would agree with you, but then I have a high cliffhanger-definition threshold. Other people, however, have a lower threshold and would consider that there have been at least one or two cliffhangers.

However, the statement was not about your current story, but about your writing overall. The cliffhangers in FTL are more than adequate to make you a contender for the title....

• Site Administrator
... by a definition, a cliffhanger has to leave the protagonists in major peril. Uncertainty as to whether or not they kissed hardly qualifies.

I've always believed that you've had a different definition of a cliffhanger to the rest of us, and now I have proof!

My definition of a cliffhanger is not the one defined above. My definition is where a chapter ends in a situation that leaves the reader desperately wanting to know what happens next, because the chapter ended with a large amount of unresolved immediate tension. Sometimes that will mean the protagonists are in major peril, but in other cases it could be a surprise situation that needs an urgent explanation, but the explanation isn't presented until the next chapter.

Why would I say that if I am all about a secret cliffhanger school?? I may have posed my hopes in an email but I would surely not make any assumptions on your story line.

And there were clear indications Jacob was alive at the end of 26 his eyes were open as he got put into the ambulance.

<Cough>!!!

I'll merely quote the proof from the chapter itself; these atr the last lines of the last two scenes with Jacob in them;

and as Jacob clenched a fist full of the rancher's shirt-sleeve, he knew he was going to miss holding Matt.
To be able to touch Matt again, that would solve all the conflicting images, all the circular thoughts racing through his mind, just touching Matt, one last and final time.

Now, considering Jacob's scene (the last we see of him in the chapter) closes with the words "one last and final time."

I'd say it looks like he's not going to make it. You also gave him the symptoms of collapsed lungs in BOTH lungs; if that's what he had, he'd very likely die en-route to the hospital.

So, I do hereby declare and proclame; this was the Mother of all Cliffhangers!

:P

(and excellently done; of that, there can be no doubt. :worship: )

And BTW, that "last and final time." phrase fits perfectly; very evocative, and part of why I consider you to be the mater of evocative wording, along with being :king: King of Eeeeevil Cliffhangers :king: Your chapters are full of rich and descriptive words and phrases,

so, don't think it's only the cliffhangers I aim to honor you for. :)

Not at all. Firstly, there are chapter endings in LTMP that some people would consider to be cliffhangers. Personally, I would agree with you, but then I have a high cliffhanger-definition threshold. Other people, however, have a lower threshold and would consider that there have been at least one or two cliffhangers.

However, the statement was not about your current story, but about your writing overall. The cliffhangers in FTL are more than adequate to make you a contender for the title....

I'm sure glad we're having this conversation now, and not a few weeks from now, but yes, I do admit there might, just possibly, be a cliffhanger in FTL. But I can't be sure; if it's there, the only way I can think of that it could have got there is that Shadowgod slipped it in during the beta... (He does love cliffhangers, you know... 0:) )

And okay, OTHER than FTL, you won't see any cliffhangers in my currently posted stories. We can agree on that, right? :P

• Site Administrator
And okay, OTHER than FTL, you won't see any cliffhangers in my currently posted stories. We can agree on that, right? :P

Actually, no, we can't agree on that. The use of the word "won't" implies that I'm agreeing that I will not see any cliffhangers in LTMP, and since that story is not concluded, I can't agree I won't see any cliffhangers in it. All I'll concede is that I haven't seen any so far.

Oh, and I noticed that Shadowgod is abdicating his cliffhanger throne. It's now open for C James! :worship:

I've always believed that you've had a different definition of a cliffhanger to the rest of us, and now I have proof!

My definition of a cliffhanger is not the one defined above. My definition is where a chapter ends in a situation that leaves the reader desperately wanting to know what happens next, because the chapter ended with a large amount of unresolved immediate tension. Sometimes that will mean the protagonists are in major peril, but in other cases it could be a surprise situation that needs an urgent explanation, but the explanation isn't presented until the next chapter.

Ahhh, well, yes, like leaving the central character about to be rendered limb from limb, literally about to be hacked to bits? :P

Actually, no, we can't agree on that. The use of the word "won't" implies that I'm agreeing that I will not see any cliffhangers in LTMP, and since that story is not concluded, I can't agree I won't see any cliffhangers in it. All I'll concede is that I haven't seen any so far.

Oh, and I noticed that Shadowgod is abdicating his cliffhanger throne. It's now open for C James! :worship:

Ahh, good point on LTMP: What I meant was, in the POSTED stories and chapters, so of course, anything beyond Ch 9 would not count on the cliffhanger issue. Can we agree on that? Sounds like we're pretty much in agreement.

And WHAT? Where, exactly, did Shadowgod say that?

Have a look at his title -- it no longer says "Fossil?" :P

ACK!!!!!!!! Oh no, he wouldn't!!! Surely he won't give up his title?!?!!?

Fossil!! How could you?

And BTW, are we in agreement, that we were refering only to my posted stories and chapters, and that anything after LTMP 9 would, of course, not count regarding cliffhangers, becuase, of course, you haven't seen them yet?

• Site Administrator
And BTW, are we in agreement, that we were refering only to my posted stories and chapters, and that anything after LTMP 9 would, of course, not count regarding cliffhangers, becuase, of course, you haven't seen them yet?

Since you insist, I will state, for the record, that up to the posting of chapter 9 of LTMP, there have not been any chapter endings in that story I considered to be a cliffhanger.

Others may disagrree, of course. Chapter 3 ended with an interesting question, and chapter 7 ended with Brandon running off after Gabe. The ending of chapter 9 has also caused some controversy, as it is not definite to all the readers that Brandon and Chase have actually kissed....

But..But.. I've never seen more eeevil cliffhangers than the ones in FTL.

(that may be due to the fact that I've not read Shadowgod's story)

*runs off to read it*

The BeaStKid

But I never use cliffhangers! 0:) If there are any in FTL, it must be becuase Shadowgod slips them in during the beta...

0:)

Seriously, give Living in Surreality a try, it is one heck of a superb story. Also, to get a taste of what the rest of us went through with chapter 26, just make yourself stop reading for five minutes at the end of that chapter, which you will find very hard to do. :)

• Site Administrator
(that may be due to the fact that I've not read Shadowgod's story)

*runs off to read it*

Seriously, give Living in Surreality a try, it is one heck of a superb story. Also, to get a taste of what the rest of us went through with chapter 26, just make yourself stop reading for five minutes at the end of that chapter, which you will find very hard to do. :)

I'll add my recommendation. I read the first 14 chapters one weekend, and then had to wait a couple of weeks before I could find the time to read the second 14 chapters. That's what started these polls. Since CJ is so perverse as to suggest he doesn't use cliffhangers, I'm also being perverse by insisting that I didn't find any cliffhangers in Living in Surreality. I just clicked on the link for the next chapter -- no cliffhanger in sight 0:) It's a great story, though -- CJ and I both agree on that :D

Okay, just read the first 4 chapters of LIS and I must say that even though they do not fit in CJ's definition, they do so in mine which is in line with Graeme's definition of cliffhangers. But then again, I've seen (or read) worse, so I'll let them pass. Still have to read the whole story to pass judgement id it really contains worse cliffies than FTL.

Till then, you're the King :king: of eeevil cliffies for me, CJ!!

The BeaStKid

P.S

From what I've read till now, LIS is turning out to be one helluva story! :worship:

Okay, just read the first 4 chapters of LIS and I must say that even though they do not fit in CJ's definition, they do so in mine which is in line with Graeme's definition of cliffhangers. But then again, I've seen (or read) worse, so I'll let them pass. Still have to read the whole story to pass judgement id it really contains worse cliffies than FTL.

Till then, you're the King :king: of eeevil cliffies for me, CJ!!

The BeaStKid

P.S

From what I've read till now, LIS is turning out to be one helluva story! :worship:

Well, we agree that LiS is one helluva good story! :2thumbs:

And sorry, but there is no possible way (even if that wasn't allready Shadowgod's perpetual title) that I could be king of something I never use.

Just wait until you get to Shadowgod's Lemonade cliffie! You'll see... He's STILL got us dangling over the abyss on that one!

CJames, I'm getting quite concerned by you becoming the Utterly Unbeatable King and Ruler of the LIS Spoiler (not to mention the Prince of Pincushions), if you try so much to demonstrate you're right and end up giving away the scarce surprises and twists in the plot.

What makes the value and interest of LIS isn't the plot as much as the style, the language and the character development.

Of course,

a few things happening caused quite an uproar in the readership

, but let's leave prospective readers unaware of how this all unfolds.

CJames, I'm getting quite concerned by you becoming the Utterly Unbeatable King and Ruler of the LIS Spoiler (not to mention the Prince of Pincushions), if you try so much to demonstrate you're right and end up giving away the scarce surprises and twists in the plot.

What makes the value and interest of LIS isn't the plot as much as the style, the language and the character development.

Of course,

a few things happening caused quite an uproar in the readership

, but let's leave prospective readers unaware of how this all unfolds.

ACK! But, but, but... You seem bound and determined to get me made into a pincushion by the Echidna!

I didn't say what, or where, the infamous Lemonade cliffie was!

Personally, I disagree; I find the plot of LIS to be very important, though I share your love for the excellent style, the language and the character development.

• Site Administrator

A good story has all those elements. A reader will have their own preference on what they enjoy the most, but I think we'll all agree that Living in Surreality is an excellent all round story. :worship:

A good story has all those elements. A reader will have their own preference on what they enjoy the most, but I think we'll all agree that Living in Surreality is an excellent all round story. :worship:

Absolutely agreed!!! It really is excellent. Even the eeeevil cliffhangers added an air of suspense. :)