Movie Suggestions

Hi all!

I thought it might be fun to create a thread for "movie suggestions" or general comments about movies you've seen recently.

The last movie I saw in theaters was:

Into the Wild - this isn't really at all my type of movie, but a friend really wanted to see it so I went. It was actually really good and I'm glad I saw it. Basically it's about this guy's quest to find freedom in the wilderness.

For the Bible Tells Me So - Awesome movie! It follows several Christian families and their emotional journeys as they deal with having a gay person in the family. I strongly recommend this one!

Closer - IMO, the ultimate "anti-romantic" movie!

Nightmare Before Christmas - So fun! I just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago!

Take care all and have a great day!

-Kevin

Hi all!

I thought it might be fun to create a thread for "movie suggestions" or general comments about movies you've seen recently.

Into the Wild - this isn't really at all my type of movie, but a friend really wanted to see it so I went. It was actually really good and I'm glad I saw it. Basically it's about this guy's quest to find freedom in the wilderness.

For the Bible Tells Me So - Awesome movie! It follows several Christian families and their emotional journeys as they deal with having a gay person in the family. I strongly recommend this one!

Nightmare Before Christmas - So fun! I just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago!

-Kevin

Never seen any of those really Kevin, but i may take a look at Closer.

The last movie i saw was

Rush Hour 3, which was a long time ago, but its a great movie!!!

Awesome thread Kevin gogogogogo!

I like the movie Closer, but it took me a second or third watch to like it.. lol.. maybe I needed to get over the dirty talking innocent Natalie Portman did. :P

I've actually not been able to watch many movies, but some of my all-time favorites are:

Pride and Prejudice (2004)

Crash

Glory Road

American Beauty

Friends With Money

Phantom of the Opera

I could keep going.. :P:wub:

Krista

I like the movie Closer, but it took me a second or third watch to like it.. lol.. maybe I needed to get over the dirty talking innocent Natalie Portman did. :P

I've actually not been able to watch many movies, but some of my all-time favorites are:

Pride and Prejudice (2004)

Crash

Glory Road

American Beauty

Friends With Money

Phantom of the Opera

I could keep going.. :P:wub:

Krista

One of my all time faves is = TRANSFORMERS!!!

Love it love it love it!!!

Movie?

I haven't been to a movie theatre in ... in ... it's been a long, long time.

If I was going to recommend a movie, any movie, the list would start with Harvey because it has the all-time greatest double take ever. Just thinking about Jesse White doing it makes me chuckle.

For action, I'd go with Garden of Evil only because I'm a Gary Cooper fan.

Just to watch Brandon De Wilde, I'd see Hud.

For fun, I'd watch *batteries not included.

Probably the best recent movie I've seen is De Zaak Alzheimer (The Memory of a Killer, USA). It's a good detective movie with Koen De Bouw (who is HOT!) playing Eric Vinke who is tracking down a murderer.

But, if it was a rainy Saturday afternoon and I didn't have anything to do, I'd glady spend 3 hours watching Fanny and Alexander.

Carl :boy:

Friends With Money

I loved Friends With Money!

One of my all time faves is = TRANSFORMERS!!!

It's one of my favourite newer movies too! It and Spiderman 3 definitely blew the other summer movies outta the water IMO.

If I was going to recommend a movie, any movie, the list would start with Harvey because it has the all-time greatest double take ever. Just thinking about Jesse White doing it makes me chuckle.

Oh I love Harvey! Wonderful movie! I haven't seen it in years :(

And one that has been out awhile that I just saw for the first time is Dogma, With Matt Damon :wub: , Ben Afflek :wub: , Chris Rock, George Carlin, And Jay & Silent Bob. Hilarious!!!

Ohh, I've heard so many good things about Dogma! It's definitely on my list of movies I need to watch!

Hi all!

-Kevin

Agreed with Closer and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Havent seen the others but I'll probably check them out.

My favorites:

Closer - Here, there is a difference between confessing you've cheated because you feel guilt and seek forgiveness, and confessing to cause pain. Rare and refreshing to see characters so articulate.

Run Lola Run- A well done German foreign film. Short, but an exercise in kinetic energy and nonstop motion.

Children of Men - About the way that fear can be used to justify a police state. Very convincing, the film serves as a cautionary warning. The climax is open-ended, which is fitting. With a chase scene with one of the most sudden and violent moments I have ever seen in a film, probably my favorite between all of these.

Shaun of the Dead - One of the first movies I was ever actually laughing out loud in the theater. Treats the living characters as sitcom regulars whose conflicts and arguments keep getting interrupted by annoying flesh-eaters. A refreshing romantic zombie comedy.

28 Days Later - Another (semi)zombie movie, I've never been a fan of scary movies but this was the first I really liked. Like the sequel it ends standardly, but it's still a tough, smart, ingenious movie that leads its characters into situations where everything depends on their (and our) understanding of human nature.

Donnie Darko - It took me a few times to (semi)get this movie. I could tell you what I think happens at the end but I could be wrong. Much is left unexplained but the set-up and development is fascinating.

Primer - Let me just start by saying you wont understand this movie. But basically, friends build what they believe to be a time machine in their basement. Complications ensue. Extremely well made movie for such a small budget, it won the award for best drama at Sundance 2004.

Dogma - Another great Kevin Smith flick, it takes the church teachings jokingly and very seriously indeed--both at the same time.

The Matrix (I and II) - Well done in inspiring pseudo-philosophy and weaving romance/action/sci-fi all into one.

Edited by Nerotorb

Let's see... the movies I saw lately....

1. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry: I saw this today... and I don't know. All of my friends went on and on about how good it was. I just didn't see it. I mean, yeah, it had a good message. Maybe I'll have to try to watch it again when I'm not running around doing stuff around the house.

2. Purfume: Story of a Murderer: I LOVED THIS MOVIE!! It was really visual, and with the expecption of the strangest last 10 minutes I've ever seen, it was great. I watched it for two words: Alan Rickman.

3. The Last Kiss: Meh, it was ok. The most exciting part for me, was that the whole movie was shot in Madison, and a few scenes happened on campus. It was neat to think that I WAS THERE! (and also depressing because I'm not anymore.)

4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Liz Taylor and Paul Newman. The worst part of the movie, is that since it was filmed in the 50s, they completely cut out the a huge HUGE plot dealing with homosexuality. It completely changed the story, but I still thought the movie was nice. You're better off seeing the play though, especially for the original storyline!

That's all I've got right now.

That's all I can think of right now that haven't already been mentioned.

Supposedly the Pride Alliance here is going to be hosting a public viewing of For the Bible Tells Me So next semester. The VP is supposed to e-mail the makers of the documentary about getting a copyright for the viewing.

Movies I'd recommend:

Crash,

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)

Corvette Summer (1978) Starring Mark Hamill

Star Wars Episode I-VI

Dogma

Clerks I&II

Office Space

007: Goldeneye

Stealth

Sin City

The Island

Reign of Fire

Men In Black

Super Troopers

Star Ship Troopers

Ocean's 11&12 (remake, never saw the original

Swordfish

There are more, I just can't think of them right now.

I wanna see Hitman and Ocean's 13.

4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Liz Taylor and Paul Newman. The worst part of the movie, is that since it was filmed in the 50s, they completely cut out the a huge HUGE plot dealing with homosexuality. It completely changed the story,

What mendacity!

Last movie I saw in theaters was Resident Evil 3, and that was cause, like I told my friend at the time, I wanted to see some guaranteed schlock. (It delivered, if anyone was wondering. I don't imagine that movie had a writer so much as it had a production executive who scribbled plot ideas down on a cocktail napkin. ...But that's neither really here nor there, heh.)

Last exceptional movie I saw in theaters was Million Dollar Baby. Now THAT'S a movie. I mean, I've enjoyed movies since then like anyone else--and like all normal people, I wet myself when I saw Revenge of the Sith, and it's entirely possible I doodled "Shaft" in my notebook with hearts around it and have a picture of Palpatine in my locker--but, call me a fuddy-duddy, but they just don't make 'em like they used to. Perhaps only the hacks're breeding these days, I dunno. I could rant and riff for another hour, as well as post my favorite movies, but even I'm sick of myself at this point, so.

Ooh, I did see Brick again today. That was sufficiently dandy.

Hollywood--->

Armageddon

Deep Impact

Independence Day

Home Alone 1,2,3,4

Oceans Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen

Transporter 1,2

Batman Begins

Scary Movie 1,2,3,4

American Pie 1,2,3,4,5

Night at the Museum

World Trade Centre

Shrek 1,2,3

Spy Kids 1,2,3

Cry Wolf

Spiderman 1,2,3

Bend it Like Beckham

Bride and Prejudice

American Born Confused Desi

Black Hawk Down

Jarhead

Just Like Heaven

Monsters Inc.

Ice Age 1,2

Notting Hill

Chicago

Moulin Rouge

Bollywood----->

Lagaan

Chak De India

Sholey

Mughal-e-azam

Rand De Basanti

Let me think of some more!!

So you guys seem to have the good movies well in hand. So here is one to avoid, (i'd give you a list but Im at work and should work at some point)

Fred Claus.

yeah I know I blogged about it but, just bad. It starts with Kathy bates in labor, then she turns into some anti-mother totally loving one kid over another to the extreme. There is a freaky little kid with ruge and a fat suit. Cliche layerd upon Cliche. Vince Vaughn playing the same character he has in every movie he's ever been in, and of course it ends rather predictably.

Definately wait for the video, $10 bucks ist worth it.

ive heard alot about domga ...

I want to see... I now pronounce you chuck and larry

ive seen American Gangsta - good movie

alltime favorite ... The notebook :wub::D

Edited by CoLeYy
Shaun of the Dead - One of the first movies I was ever actually laughing out loud in the theater. Treats the living characters as sitcom regulars whose conflicts and arguments keep getting interrupted by annoying flesh-eaters. A refreshing romantic zombie comedy.

That does sound good! I've been meaning to watch this movie.

Donnie Darko - It took me a few times to (semi)get this movie. I could tell you what I think happens at the end but I could be wrong. Much is left unexplained but the set-up and development is fascinating.

Loved this movie! It always takes me back to college because it was one of the first movies I saw with my friends my first semester and then it just kept coming up and coming up over and over again! Wonderful movie!

1. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry: I saw this today... and I don't know. All of my friends went on and on about how good it was. I just didn't see it. I mean, yeah, it had a good message. Maybe I'll have to try to watch it again when I'm not running around doing stuff around the house.

I've been wanting to see this movie! Your experience ("I don't know. All of my friends went on and on about how good it was. I just didn't see it. I mean, yeah, it had a good message.") is very similar to my own with Brokeback Mountain. The rest of the gay community flipped for it and I was like "ho hum". My theory is that because of GA we have a greater exposure to really good gay stories than the average member of the gay community, so we can afford to be more discerning. :boy:

4. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: Liz Taylor and Paul Newman. The worst part of the movie, is that since it was filmed in the 50s, they completely cut out the a huge HUGE plot dealing with homosexuality. It completely changed the story, but I still thought the movie was nice. You're better off seeing the play though, especially for the original storyline!

Saw bits of this at various points in school, but never the whole thing. Should definitely add this to my list as well.

Last exceptional movie I saw in theaters was Million Dollar Baby. Now THAT'S a movie. I mean, I've enjoyed movies since then like anyone else--and like all normal people, I wet myself when I saw Revenge of the Sith, and it's entirely possible I doodled "Shaft" in my notebook with hearts around it and have a picture of Palpatine in my locker--but, call me a fuddy-duddy, but they just don't make 'em like they used to. Perhaps only the hacks're breeding these days, I dunno. I could rant and riff for another hour, as well as post my favorite movies, but even I'm sick of myself at this point, so.

:lol:

Home Alone 1,2,3,4

Scary Movie 1,2,3,4

American Pie 1,2,3,4,5

I didn't realize there were so many of these! LOL I think I saw the first two of each.

Spiderman 1,2,3

Bend it Like Beckham

Just Like Heaven

Monsters Inc.

Chicago

Moulin Rouge

Never saw Bend it Like Bechham or Moulin Rouge, but I've always wanted to. Saw and loved the rest!

So you guys seem to have the good movies well in hand. So here is one to avoid, (i'd give you a list but Im at work and should work at some point)

Fred Claus.

yeah I know I blogged about it but, just bad. It starts with Kathy bates in labor, then she turns into some anti-mother totally loving one kid over another to the extreme. There is a freaky little kid with ruge and a fat suit. Cliche layerd upon Cliche. Vince Vaughn playing the same character he has in every movie he's ever been in, and of course it ends rather predictably.

Definately wait for the video, $10 bucks ist worth it.

So I know you didn't want to, but you totally just enticed me with that description! :lol:

The notebook :wub::D

Another one I've always wanted to see! I really should make a list!

Have an awesome day all! :)

Kevin

So I know you didn't want to, but you totally just enticed me with that description! :lol:

Have an awesome day all! :)

Kevin

beh dont blame me when your sitting there wondering why you paid for it :P

on the other hand,

I have to throw my vote in for Dogma

the usual suspects

and for something different, The Graffiti Artist, but I may be repeating myself there.

A good movie I saw last year that was about coming out--Dorian Blues. Good movie.

And one that has been out awhile that I just saw for the first time is Dogma, With Matt Damon :wub: , Ben Afflek :wub: , Chris Rock, George Carlin, And Jay & Silent Bob. Hilarious!!!

Dogma is just grand awesomeness.. :wub:

Krista

Anyone reading this thread who hasn't seen Dogma does not know what they are missing. GO WATCH IT!

Last night, I saw Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 back to back. If you have never seen them played one right after the other, It is an awesome movie when watched continuously. I'd add a few of my favorite quotes here, But someone would just tell me to shut it 0:)

I also just recently watched Terminator 3--Rise of the Machines for about the 4th time. Excellent end to a trilogy :D

George Clooney is superb in Michael Clayton.

Here are two movies to definitely see that will be huge. First is Disney's Enchanted. This film has major buzz and comes to theaters this week.

The Christmas release of Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd looks awesome. Go to the official site. There's a worthy clip. But on MySpace (there's a link on the site), there is a clip of Johnny Depp singing. OMG, this hunk can sing! :2thumbs:

http://www.sweeneytoddmovie.com/.

Jack B)