BLACK FRIDAY

CoLeYy

did anyone camp out or go shopping ??

i hit up Kohls and got a bunch of crap for christmas.. the lines were insane

my friend went to best buy nd took a picture of the line for the cash registers nd basically it started at the register and went all the way out the back emergency exit door and around the building.

today is deff. nuts for the people who work in sales

I can't remember ever going shopping on the day after Thanksgiving.

What's the point of joining the throng to save a dime.

The real sales don't come along until closer to Christmas when the stores are a little more anxious to move some inventory; plus there aren't that many other shoppers because they all went today.

Carl :boy:

Amazon.com has a Black Friday page. You can sit at home, avoid the Best Buy lines, and get the same types of bargains.

Alas, there's not much that I want--until the combined HD DVD/BlueRaty players come out.

rec

I went grocery shopping, but that's it. LoL

I tried the Black Friday shopping last year; it was interesting, but crowded. There were people lining up an hour before the 6am store openings!

I did it once a few years ago... that is untill i learned they have all the same sell prices online as well... So i never went back haha.

I went grocery shopping, but that's it. LoL

I tried the Black Friday shopping last year; it was interesting, but crowded. There were people lining up an hour before the 6am store openings!

Amazon.com has a Black Friday page. You can sit at home, avoid the Best Buy lines, and get the same types of bargains.

Alas, there's not much that I want--until the combined HD DVD/BlueRaty players come out.

rec

never will they are compeating formats just like in the days of VHS/Betamax, and DVD/DiVX.

Yeah, but, there were combo VHS/Betamax players. I saw one.

:)

:huh:

That is interesting. Though Im going to go out on a limb and say it was from a second rate manufacturer after VHS had dominated the market, and only then, because they thought they could capture a niche by offering a combo player.

As it stands now that will not be happening. Opposing manufacturers and Studios support the different formats.

How many Divx players do you see in stores today? nadda :P

Oh and one last parting note: HDDVD is Microsoft

I've always wanted to go... and this year I probably would have. Except there was nothing that really caught my eye.

So instead I'm christmas baking with Gram, and we just got our tree... I'm very excited. WOOOO

That's better than fighting other people for crappy doorbusters.

I worked in the Wireless (cell phones and iPods) department at a Best Buy a few years back on Black Friday. To this day, I still hate people. I think the world should be crushed by giant meteor shaped like a woman's shoe, heh.

Needless to say, I'd much rather sleep off my food-coma the day after Thanksgiving than get into screaming matches with the habitually cheap over who gets the last $29.99 off-brand MP3 player. Bleh.

snickers.. I was gonna try the best buy one this year... for the $200 computer... but a friend of mine drove by at 11 pm on Thursday and said the line was already horrible... people in tents! outside and someone was stealing power from the bank (next door) to power the portable dish in the parking lot... there were extension cords everywhere! All for an item where they were only guaranteed to have fifteen in stock!

It was a first for me this year. Let me say, I was very unimpressed.

I was drawn by the good deals on the electronics. I've wanted a portable DVD player for awhile now, But they are expensive! So when I saw the ad for one with a 7" screen for only $50, I thought I would see if I could get one. I was also looking at the cheap MP3 players, Some VideoMP3 players, All 1GB or larger, Some with FM tuners too, for around $20.

I woke up at 4:30AM, Got to the first store at 5 minutes to 5, Opening time 5. It was the first time in a long time that I felt like the cows at work, Being herded into the store like cows go into the barn. It was ridiculous. There was only one way that I was going to get what I was after before all the greedy hands grabbed every last one of everything, And I just wasn't willing to do it.

Literally, The only way I could have got to the electronics section any faster would have been to push old people out of my way. I just wasn't willing to do it. So I left my small town and decided I'd give W**-M*** a chance, Even though I was gonna get there about 20 minutes after opening.

By the time i got to the next town closer to civilization, It was almost 5:20. I made my way inside, Waded through the masses of people clogging the 10 isles immediately surrounding the electronics section, And discovered what I already knew I would. Of course, By that time, they were sold out of everything I would have wanted.

But, Since I was there already, And up in the middle of the night, I decided to at least make the trip worthwhile, So I grabbed 2 of the one item that I could use that they had an abundant supply of.

They had some Kodak 2GB SD memory cards, Which is what my digital camera takes, For only $12.88 each. Normally they are around $40 each, So I thought that was a pretty good deal. Circuit city had the same cards, for only $6.88, But part of that was a mail-in-rebate(which is way too much work for me, no matter how much of a good deal it is for me to waste my time actually sending them the receipt and whatever other hassle it is), So i just went the easy way and bought them at the store I was already crazy enough to be in.

So after this year, I don't think I'm going to try it again. Crowds of people, Middle of the night/Before the morning, Uninformed sales support in the stores, The list of reasons to hate it is much longer than I anticipated it would be. You have to be pretty dam ruthless if you think you are gonna get out there and get a good deal when there are thousands that have the same thing on their minds.

Well, I went to visit my mom for Thanksgiving and didn't even get back to Houston until 7am! So naturally I elected to head home and go to sleep.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been doing any of this anyway though. I enjoy shopping as a relaxing, recreational pursuit, I'm pretty sure standing outside waiting in lines and dealing with a mass of grumpy, greedy people would ruin that for me!

I've always wanted to go... and this year I probably would have. Except there was nothing that really caught my eye.

So instead I'm christmas baking with Gram, and we just got our tree... I'm very excited. WOOOO

That's better than fighting other people for crappy doorbusters.

That does sound like fun! :)

I hope you folks that went got what you wanted though!

:hug:

Take care and have an awesome day everyone!

-Kevin

I just got off of work an hour ago (yup, worked 4-midnight). I stayed up late last night playing Halo 3 with my best friend, and we finished the game at around 3:30AM. I said, "Kohl's opens in 30 minutes, let's do a drive by and see how many people are waiting outside the store." I got to the traffic light near the store where we could just make out the store itself, and a FULL PARKING LOT! I drove around the front of the store and slowly cruised past the entrance... I found out later in the day that a combination of the line itself (with people wrapped in blankets) and the people who were smart enough to sit in their warm f**king cars totaled FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE for f**kings KOHL'S! The nearest interesting stores were Borders and Verizon Wireless, yet KOHL'S had FIVE HUNDRED people standing outside at 1/4 to 4AM! I was so disgusted with those infidels that I mashed the accelerator to the floor and zipped right on out of there. I found out later that there was a fight (A BRAWL) in the Men's Department. MY supervisor was going to try and break it up... but being that he's quite small compared to other people, he stayed out of it. When I got there it was relatively calm and I just dealt with replenishing the small electronics in housewares from 4pm to midnight.

When I got home at 4AM, I text messaged my sister, since she was going in to work at Circuit City at 4AM. They had a line wrapping around the store. Additionally, all employees were required to work from 4AM to 10PM, with a 3 hour break. f**king ridiculous. I was going to see what the day was like as a customer, but elected to sleep in instead.

So I get home from work today, To discover that my mom decided to buy me a portable DVD player for christmas(Yeah, It's not christmas yet, But I'm not within a thousand miles of here at christmastime 0:) ).

It's a GPX with an 8" screen, It came with an AC adapter, DC(car) adapter, Ear buds, And a remote control. It has outputs for S-Video, Coax Audio out, And A/V output. So it can be hooked up to a real TV and used to watch a movie too.

But the goodies don't end there! It also has: 2 earphone jacks, And it also has 2 very important inputs. It has a USB port on it, So i can load stuff on my jump drive, And it also has an SD card reader--Which is the same card that my digital camera takes. And since I just got two 2GB cards, I have all kinds of stuff I can play through this tiny little thing(besides the normal DVD's and CD's it reads).

So, Now I can take my entire MP3 collection on the road with me, My DVD collection, And have pictures with me I can look at on a 8" screen.

Tim is happy.

*Edit* http://www.gpx.com/shop_ind.php?id=574&pid=150 *Edit*

Edited by Tim the Traveller

So I get home from work today, To discover that my mom decided to buy me a portable DVD player for christmas(Yeah, It's not christmas yet, But I'm not within a thousand miles of here at christmastime 0:) ).

It's a GPX with an 8" screen, It came with an AC adapter, DC(car) adapter, Ear buds, And a remote control. It has outputs for S-Video, Coax Audio out, And A/V output. So it can be hooked up to a real TV and used to watch a movie too.

But the goodies don't end there! It also has: 2 earphone jacks, And it also has 2 very important inputs. It has a USB port on it, So i can load stuff on my jump drive, And it also has an SD card reader--Which is the same card that my digital camera takes. And since I just got two 2GB cards, I have all kinds of stuff I can play through this tiny little thing(besides the normal DVD's and CD's it reads).

So, Now I can take my entire MP3 collection on the road with me, My DVD collection, And have pictures with me I can look at on a 8" screen.

Tim is happy.

*Edit* http://www.gpx.com/shop_ind.php?id=574&pid=150 *Edit*

WOO HOOO!! :D

Awesome, Tim! :great::2thumbs:

It sounds, and looks, like a really nifty machine! :)

-Kevin

LOL, what's that? Is it a special day devoted to the sport?

No. lol

It's to shop like hell for discounts after Christmas Day. The US has it too...just without a name. ;)

Boxing Day comes from "boxing" up the decorations after Christmas has passed. Though everyone doesn't really do that...too lazy.

I won't be happy I'll miss Boxing Day this year... I'll be in the USA then... Damn...

No. lol

It's to shop like hell for discounts after Christmas Day. The US has it too...just without a name. ;)

Boxing Day comes from "boxing" up the decorations after Christmas has passed. Though everyone doesn't really do that...too lazy.

I won't be happy I'll miss Boxing Day this year... I'll be in the USA then... Damn...

B) .........Hell no!! I wouldn't step foot in one of those malls at 4am in the morning, I really don't like feeling crowded, I hate long lines and get impatient with people.

Canada doesn't have that shit.

Instead we have Boxing Day.

.........Hell no!! I wouldn't step foot in one of those malls at 4am in the morning, I really don't like feeling crowded, I hate long lines and get impatient with people.

Then, the boxing day ain't for you,, in the news they always shows the big lineup outside the future shop in downtown. It's really really crowded. because of that, they don't let us exchange the gift we receive on x-mas that day. :P

Then, the boxing day ain't for you,, in the news they always shows the big lineup outside the future shop in downtown. It's really really crowded. because of that, they don't let us exchange the gift we receive on x-mas that day. :P

B) .......Thanks for the heads up, and for the "meaning of Boxing day" :lol:

B) .........Hell no!! I wouldn't step foot in one of those malls at 4am in the morning, I really don't like feeling crowded, I hate long lines and get impatient with people.

Retail shops are forbidden by law to open at 4am anywhere in Quebec.

They can only open after 9am or 10am. I dunno...I don't shop in the morning. I just know there are laws against opening at 4am for almost all retail shops. :P You could have your sleep and get up to get in line at 10am to Future Shop or wherever.

I waited in line to get into Simons last year, and then went to Urban Outfitters to melt at the sales. :wub: