Gay films

• 1 month later...

I don't know if people will actually like this movie, but I did. I watched it yesterday when I was supposed to be finishing up my filing stuff at work.. oops.. 0:) I completed it after the movie so no harm done..

I also didn't think it was all that cliche, which is a BIG plus for a gay movie. It seemed brooding and dark, which I also like, but it didn't over do it at all like a lot of films. I like subtle things that don't give you this big production to make you feel things...

But yes, here is the IMDB link: CIAO

And the Trailer: Trailer

And an article on the movie: Article (Spoilers so don't read unless you want to, before watching the film)..

A Beautiful Thing is my favorite.

Yes it is mine as well, the reason for being at the top of the list! LOL!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I hate to blow my own horn.............

Louisiana Writer.

LW - I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but the rest of your post is just sefl serving and takes us off topic. I am sure there are threads or forums for your self promotion, and this thread is about gay films not books, why not start one?.

cool.gif

...I wrote a book that has been published. It is called "The Space Adventure Of Alex"...The sex is vivid, but loving and there is lots of humor in it.Louisiana Writer.

Congrats on publishing...please start a forum to discuss your final point...it might be useful to many of us.

Mambo Italiano is a comedy with a gay theme. It's light hearted and pretty funny! biggrin.gif It's on LOGO every once in a while if you get that channel. Also, The Conrad Boys is another good one and has a more serious tone/theme to it.

Edited by TetRefine

P.S. Brokeback is so overrated. Have nothing against it, though.

Pfsh. Hardly. That movie has two things that I find lacking in many gay films: good acting AND good writing. Not either/or. For many films, it's just eye candy, but no substance.

Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Friends and Family was fantastic and starred 2 HOTT ex military guys as the main couple and they totally KICK BUTT!

Shelter was fantastic in my opinion and had a great ending.

To Wong Fu: Thanks for everything Julie Newmar was AMAZING and Patric Swayze was surprisingly pretty as a queen.

Out at the Wedding is also a great comedy.

Latter Days to this day makes me cry my eyes out, even with the happy ending. I dont know how many boyfriends I scared off after calling them bawling when I finished watching the movie.

As a series Dante's Cove has some CRAZY terrible acting and plot, but the guys are hot, theres gratuitous nudity, and if you can get past the soap opera quality is really enjoyable. I also recommend the spinoff, The Lair.

Dont know if its been mentioned yet but Friends and Family was fantastic and starred 2 HOTT ex military guys as the main couple and they totally KICK BUTT!

Shelter was fantastic in my opinion and had a great ending.

To Wong Fu: Thanks for everything Julie Newmar was AMAZING and Patric Swayze was surprisingly pretty as a queen.

Out at the Wedding is also a great comedy.

Latter Days to this day makes me cry my eyes out, even with the happy ending. I dont know how many boyfriends I scared off after calling them bawling when I finished watching the movie.

As a series Dante's Cove has some CRAZY terrible acting and plot, but the guys are hot, theres gratuitous nudity, and if you can get past the soap opera quality is really enjoyable. I also recommend the spinoff, The Lair.

Thank you sooo much... last weekend we were watching Dirty Dancing and we wracked our brains for the film that Patrick played a Queen... To Wong Fu... just text my friend to tell her. That was an awesome film and Patrick certainly did look good dressed as a woman, although in my book he looks best when he is not dressed at all ;)

I've seen and would personally recommend Juste une Question d'Amour and Sommersturm. Posters have also mentioned C.R.A.Z.Y which is also very good as well. These all have good storylines and much better acting than most gay-themed films that I've seen. Funnily enough they're all foreign films as well. I found Latter Days to have an interesting storyline but I found the acting a bit bad/off-putting in some parts..

I loved "Juste une Question d'Amour". It sure had an Oops theme.

I just watched crazy ... I remember those abusive years - I can surely relate to the character - Just makes me wonder how many I missed - that were gay. But you wouldn't known it. - But surely get beaten.

I mentioned in the begining of this year a comedy called Under the GayDar I just watch it. I found it funny. The two guy are cute when they act gay.

I just watch the Mandragora (1997) - gosh - running away in eastern europe isn't a wise thing - almost like running away to NYC during the 70s - getting into the bad news for runaways.

Has anyone mentioned... "Yentl" ? I know theres a cheeziness and its dated but I just saw it last week - first time in ages- and I still love it. I mean how gay can you get? Barbara (Streisand) x3 (writen, directed, acted)...with crossdressing!...and a hasidic jewish storyline! ...and if thats not gay enough, its a musical!... I do love the music in it.

As for comedies I'll ad my Mambo Italiano two cents...qwerky. I like qwerky.

(favorite qwerky is "I Heart Huckabees"... not "gay" but qweer(ky)... Lilly Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman as existential detectives! I mean really.

The whole musical thing has been untapped...! Aren't they all gay by default (?) regardless of storyline. Though it dosent sound like they fall into the original request, box, per say... my Modern favorite however- "Moulin Rouge" ...not too keen on the old ones...a little bit of Oz dose go a long way though.

Documentary? "One Nation Under God"on gay change ministries, funny and sad ...and "For the Bible Tells Me So"a bit of a Christian theme there but hopeful. For balance then you might like "Trembling Before G-d" ...gay orthodox hasidic jews- who knew!? ....Well, Barbara did...naturally. Now we are just waiting for...the Gay Taliban one.

I also put in my vote for "Beautiful Thing"

There are a lot that i hve seen that were amazing and beautiful with a gay sensibility or wisdom but not "gay" flat out. None pop in my head at the moment. If I remember I will add on.

Cheers

Edited by 2Be
  • 1 month later...
Guest kayden

wild tigers I have known (2005) – A great film but a terrible film at the same time. I really enjoyed it once I got past the terrible special effects. If you pay attention the acting is not terrible, it is very good. I still haven't fully understood the movie, and I enjoy watching it over again trying. Something I almost never do. It's a trip. American film.

No, this movie was just plain horrible. Blech! It was painful to watch.

Having been made in 1978, it's one of the earliest attempts at bringing "alternative love" into mainstream entertainment media. It was a bold project, which was - for the most part - very well executed, but poorly accepted by society due to their narrow-minded paradigms. They don't make movies of this quality anymore, and there will probably never be a movie made as good as this one that portrays young homosexual emotions ever again. It's probably the most under-rated movie of all time. I blame this on two major faults of the movie:

1. The infamous "shower" scene. I'm indifferent to non-sexual nudity - no matter the age - but the nudity in this film only served to give the movie a bad reputation. Despite the numerous conversations about sex, there was nothing sexual about this movie at all; but people tend to equate nudity with sex, and thanks to this scene - which I found extremely tender and touching - many people who would under other circumstances have enjoyed this film chose not to even give it a chance. I understand the film-maker's perspective, but if they wanted a wider audience, they should have done this scene differently.

2. The constant fragmentation. This film was about a great deal more than homosexual emotions, (or more accurately, bisexual emotions...), and the other plotlines were largely fragmented. Watching this movie, it's obvious that a great deal of scenes that were intended to be in the movie were cut out completely. The student rebellion, the heterosexual relations between the one boy and the older girl, and some other things were obviously important plotlines in the original story, but were cut for whatever reasons. I've read that this film is the third in a "trilogy" of sorts, the first two films having nothing to do with sexuality. I think that this film was less about sexuality than it was about standing up for who you are, against all resistance. The homosexual aspects of it were the main plot points, but unfortunately, the rest of it was removed. This left a very fragmented and incomplete story, leaving viewers with an unfortunate sense that the whole movie was fragmented.

All that aside, this movie was incredible. The acting was beyond superb, and I had trouble believing the actors were acting at all. The emotions shown by Bo and Kim, not to mention those of the other characters, seemed so real it was uncanny. If you can watch this film without shedding a tear, you're a cold-hearted bastard, (or bitch, respectively...) It's also extremely witty at parts, and I'd say whenever you're not crying in this movie, you're laughing. :)

My favorite scene is when Bo tells the boy who he caught with a woman that he likes boys. It's a three second coming-out scene, but it had so much emotion it just didn't need to be longer.

No other gay-themed movie compares. Thirty years after it was made, is the peak of alternative sexuality films. In fact, I've stopped watching any other films about homosexuality because they're either absolute crap, or they're too preachy or in-your-face. I couldn't even get through "Brokeback Mountain" after the first sex scene. *puke*

For anyone who wants to get a good idea of this movie, is the DVD's intro. This clip gives a general idea of how touching, tender, and beautiful this movie is. In my opinion, you don't even have to watch anything but this clip. It's worth watching the whole movie, but this clip is a good summation.