ever wondered about having a child from your partner?

ixyam

Kevin, those are all Genetic disorders and all of them atleast have one X in them. The base of XX or XY is always there. Same is the case with effeminate men or tom boys....for fems, they have XY and a streak of X on their Y. And for tom boys, they have XX with a streak of Y on their X.

The basic structure of the 23rd pair is always XP where, P defines the sex (X or Y)... Any other, is a genetic disorder.

That's what I meant when I said it was correct but not the whole story ;)

Also, when you mention effeminate men and tom boyish girls, I think you're referring to something completely different that deals more with intersex and androgenous individuals than your average run of the mill slightly femme boy or butch girl. These later individuals don't have a genetic disorder.

The way I understand the process it would be taking genes of both 'fathers' and removing the genes of the mother in the egg. The process remains the same after that.. you will still need the egg. A woman will still need to be the surrogate, so in a sense you're creating a Designed child. I could be wrong though. :P

Leave it to a couple of gay guys to "design" their own child :P:boy:

-Kevin

Thanks for the explanations. I never thought about the comparative lengths of the two cromosomes. If Y is getting shorter does that mean we are getting more androgenous as a species? Maybe the guy genes are just getting better organized.

I don't think giving birth through my penis is one of my life goals. :blink:

As for men actualy carrying children I heard that it might be possible. There have been a few cases where a child grew outside its mother's uterus and was delivered by c-section. In theory the organ is not nescesary but with out it the risk of internal bleading is much higher making the process to dangerous to try. I would be curious to see how the male body would handel that but I would not wish internal bleading/penis delivery on anyone. :P

Thanks for the explanations. I never thought about the comparative lengths of the two cromosomes. If Y is getting shorter does that mean we are getting more androgenous as a species? Maybe the guy genes are just getting better organized.

That would certainly be nice :)

That's what I meant when I said it was correct but not the whole story ;)

Also, when you mention effeminate men and tom boyish girls, I think you're referring to something completely different that deals more with intersex and androgenous individuals than your average run of the mill slightly femme boy or butch girl. These later individuals don't have a genetic disorder.

I did not say that fem or butch have genetic disorders...I just said that a XXY or the likes are disorders... :)

Leave it to a couple of gay guys to "design" their own child :P:boy:

-Kevin

lol :rofl:

I've been talking about this, literally, for years. If they can take the genetic from material from one egg cell and place it into another egg cell and create a zygote by that means, why should they not be able to take the genetic material from two sperm and insert it into the 'empty' egg cell to do the same thing? The only issue is that you would have to be careful before hand to make sure you still get an XY pairing.

Personally, were I to do this, I'd insist that it be my Y chromosome that gets passed, since my X chromosome carries the colorblindness gene :(

I've been talking about this, literally, for years. If they can take the genetic from material from one egg cell and place it into another egg cell and create a zygote by that means, why should they not be able to take the genetic material from two sperm and insert it into the 'empty' egg cell to do the same thing? The only issue is that you would have to be careful before hand to make sure you still get an XY pairing.

Personally, were I to do this, I'd insist that it be my Y chromosome that gets passed, since my X chromosome carries the colorblindness gene :(

It's most unfortunate, by I have the same defect. :(

Basically, when two Y chromosomes are used to fertilize an egg, the egg is stripped off its DNA material and just the chromosome (X in this case) is allowed to remain. I am not sure how this is done, or even if I have stated this correctly in layman terms... lol

:)

I actually got slapped in the gym once when i told this lady about creating children through genetics. But my view was more that both genetic material form both parents would be put into a blank egg then, they would be placed in to vat like system that would copy a female uterus function during pregnancy. But we would not have control on what genes would be expressioned onto the child, more like letting "nature" take its course (so no design children). The only "interference" would be no genetic diseases being passed down.

-Jules

Adopt all the way. I don't want to butcher an innocent child with my bad genes. :(

And adoption is definitely cool and noble. And if I'll have, it would be just one anyway. To give him the best.

And in case, there should be a woman to carry my child... do you imagine the woes of taking taking care of a pregnant woman? :P

Ieshwar

Aw come on.

I fully support eugenics, religion be damned. I remember religion had a lot to say about GMO crops, when it would probably have cured a lot of the world hunger. They can't get over the fact that men are doing "god's work", all the while ignoring the benefits it could bring to the millions of starving people worldwide.

No worries. I think all of us would be long dead before humans know enough about the DNA to start tinkering designer babies.

Seriously, it's the next step in evolution, since we have already disabled natural selection by our civilization. The only way to get better genes is by designing them. Otherwise, we'll probably degenerate into things like Fred Phelps. LOL

I've read this too. And I remember thinking... FINALLY! :P I will not be a dead end in the gene pool.

BTW, I think homosexuality will be deleted from the genetic code anyway. Along with heterosexuality. Hehe. Bisexuality would be the ideal sexuality of the future, IMO.

well, if they can somehow manage to create a baby from 2 guys,, well I'm sure that they can do something to get around that fact...

There cannot be a child with two y chromosomes. Therefore, the scientists would have to control the gender of the children.

• 2 weeks later...
There cannot be a child with two y chromosomes. Therefore, the scientists would have to control the gender of the children.

Funny , I would have thought the thread would have go along religious lines rather than a scientific debate about y or x

chromosomes ... nothing is more natural than having a baby , so the argument that gay couple are somehow unatural in the eyes of most religions would not stand any more ... right ??