Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let The Music Play Chapter 30

So, a question: Is this close enough; I think it might work, enough to get a few fixes though probably not record the entire journey accurately. (though for the purposes of the story, only the former is needed)

Opinions?

BTW, should I have gotten a little more inside Adam Creston's head in those final moments? I was trying to show that he really didn't have the ability to think, just react to the pain.

Thanks!

CJ :)

On the first question, I do think it's close enough, in this chapter, there's nothing that tells us that they got the fix on every second. So it's reasonable enough to think that they at least got those few fixes, like it would have probably happened.

I don't think that we really needed to get more inside adam Creston's head. Like it's been said, he's a minor character, we only learned of him in this chapter. Therefore, what we read about him now was good enough.

Something else is bothering me. Is Helen really going to just accept a letter of resignation from the road manager without following up on it? Doesn't Adam have people outside the tour who will eventually notice he's missing? I think J/S screwed-up big time with this murder.

He did screwed up. I hope for him that helen won't want to get in touch with him to hand out sympathies...

There's still one thing that's bother me a little,,, no respectful singers, at least not if they want to have a long career/in their right mind, would be drinking alcohol like they're doing before or after concert like they've been doing. Alcohol irritates the vocal chords, that combine with and activity such as singing for 2 hours ,,, it's not really recommended by any orthophonist.

Edited by FrenchCanadian
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did screwed up. I hope for him that helen won't want to get in touch with him to hand out sympathies...

On the other hand, while she might understand and be sympathetic to some degree, she's also bound to be pretty ticked off that he just up and did this without even talking to her himself or putting in any kind of notice (or so she'll think).

There's still one thing that's bother me a little,,, no respectful singers, at least not if they want to have a long career/in their right mind, would be drinking alcohol like they're doing before or after concert like they've been doing. Alcohol irritates the vocal chords, that combine with and activity such as singing for 2 hours ,,, it's not really recommended by any orthophonist.

Well, I'm sure it's not recommended, but if the reputations are to be believed it's a pretty common phenomenon for rock bands and other singers. In fact let's just be glad they're not also doing drugs and smoking (which are other things that aren't advisable for one's vocal cords, but still pretty common).

Cute word, Sacha. :)

or more commonly called Speech and Language Therapists

On the other hand, while she might understand and be sympathetic to some degree, she's also bound to be pretty ticked off that he just up and did this without even talking to her himself or putting in any kind of notice (or so she'll think).

Well, I'm sure it's not recommended, but if the reputations are to be believed it's a pretty common phenomenon for rock bands and other singers. In fact let's just be glad they're not also doing drugs and smoking (which are other things that aren't advisable for one's vocal cords, but still pretty common).

I dunno for band,, but I know that many singers won't take alcohol at all when they are touring,,, (and of course those that are more on party, will let loose right after the last show ended,,) some other that are more known for their vocal will go as far as, almost, not talking the day of a show

or more commonly called Speech and Language Therapists

Oh, I thought it was a made-up word because I couldn't find it in the dictionary. But I just Googled it and found a reference to it on the US National Institutes of Health website and that's exactly what it is, Speech and Language Therapists. Cool. I love learning new words. Thanks for making me a bit smarter today. :)

I guess people should not go to karaoke night at the bar. :P

Anyway, you are probably right about alcohol and singing. However, it is quite common with rockers, though Scott Stapp has taken it to an extreme. :blink:

And for those that are too lazy to go check that link (nice research gary,,) it will dehydrate the vocal folds and that will be bad for them as in straining them. So doing that, even the day before is a bad idea.

It would lead to the singer to have nodule on their vocal chords earlier (one of many factor). They'd then need surgery,, and basically finish one's singing career.

That why singers like Madonna (and she had wild days,,,), Celine dion (I know they're not good example in this case, as Instinct are a rock band, but they're the only ones that I know for fact) won't use alcohol at all during tours and recording period.

Granted, you'll hear about band and artist that seems to be famous on drugs and all those things,, but they're more into making themselves talked in the news and selling albums than to preserve their instrument and having a long career. :P

And I like to think that Instinct are more than a "I'm in for getting all the money while I can" band.

BTW I gotta say,, I'm surprised that no one is screaming cliffhanger!! :P

BTW I gotta say,, I'm surprised that no one is screaming cliffhanger!! :P

There is no need to scream. However, I do think it is time for Windone to recant on the gaffe he made in early October...

GPS update...

OK, I tried using a GPS, though a different model from the one in the story. I scurried under a large SUV and tried it. I got mixed results. The starter motor is low in the engine compartment, so it's not totally surrounded, BUT, from on top I had a darn hard time getting a signal and it took quite a few miniutes sometimes. YAP was right. I did get SOME in certain positions (having the vehicle in a very open space, in dirt, seems to help, as does parking it north-south rather than east-west, but it's marginal.

I think (but do not know) that in record mode, it would get an occasional fix, especially on rough roads where the vehicle isn't always parallel to the ground.

GPS's are too expensive for me to be willing to test mine by taping it to the starter motor. LoL

So, a question: Is this close enough; I think it might work, enough to get a few fixes though probably not record the entire journey accurately. (though for the purposes of the story, only the former is needed)

Or, I can edit the posted chapters so that the GPS is taped to the underside of the starter (which would be a rather risky proposition in many respects).

Opinions?

Thanks!

I think its good enough ! Please don't change anything !! (sorry, i didnt mean to make you change anything :/ )

Lets assume the hood is not metal, but plastic ;) . Technically, the problem is that the satellite signal for GPS is rather weak, and does not pass through metal (or other solid matter) well. A motor block definitely blocks the signal - so if it is attached close the motor block it can only get a signal from satellites that are on the other side of the block. The modern GPS devices have better receivers, and better error correction in the software than older ones, so they can (less accurately) calculate the position even if they have a signal from only a few satellites.. so i think a good GPS (the boys have enough money to buy a good one) may have at least picked up a position once in a while ;)

A rock singer would, I guess. I've seen many who do, and manage quite well.

• Site Administrator

I think it should also be pointed out that Brandon is the lead singer, not Jon or Eric. We haven't heard how much they do in the way of vocals -- do they occasionally lead a song, or do they only do backup vocals? My impression is that they only do backup vocals. That's partially because Joe was the previous lead singer, and it was made pretty clear he didn't want that position eroded (like the way he insisted on deciding the playlist). As such, they wouldn't be as sensitive on the subject of protecting their vocal chords.

I think it should also be pointed out that Brandon is the lead singer, not Jon or Eric. We haven't heard how much they do in the way of vocals -- do they occasionally lead a song, or do they only do backup vocals? My impression is that they only do backup vocals. That's partially because Joe was the previous lead singer, and it was made pretty clear he didn't want that position eroded (like the way he insisted on deciding the playlist). As such, they wouldn't be as sensitive on the subject of protecting their vocal chords.

I mentioned, way back in the beginning (and i sure don't expect anyone to remember, heck, I barely do and I wrote it) that one of the reasons they had Joe as singer is that the three brothers can't sing. Brandon is vocals, and Brandon is shown as drinking very lightly at most after the concerts. :)

These, however, are all excellent points. Partying like they are (especially Jon and Eric) is pushing it a little. Also, Jon and Eric having a couple of drinks half a day before a concert was a bit out of line (they were right to be concerned if Helen found out).

But, the way I see it (and I may of course be wrong, this is just my opinion) is that rock bands are known for some excessive behavior. More than one has shown up on stage drunk. I recall reading somewhere, for example, that Van Halen was drinking backstage before going on at a big concert (US festival, I think) and ended up getting booed off the stage becuase they were too drunk to play. :lmao:

Thanks though for the link and comments; I hadn't known that alchohol before singing was detrimental to the chords themselves.

Oh, and Sasha? HAve you considered the ramifications of your questions? Screaming a cliffhanger would be bad to do if one had consumed alcohol within recent days, correct? 0:):lmao:

Thanks everyone for the GPS conversation and checking!

YaP, I know you didn't mean for me to change anything, and I very much appreciated the topic coming up! Thanks! :) And Gary, thanks for checking under your hood!

All that would be required is for the GPS to get a few hits. Its model isn't specified, but it is listed as a high-end (due to the price; I introduced the GPS in the "shop 'till you drop" chapter) Magellan.

In the chapter where it was planted, Brandon uses the 12-volt lead (that normally allows the GPS to be plugged into a cigarette lighter) and wires it into the live side of the starter relay. That way the thing has power. It wouldn't need to record everything;

Just a few hits would be enough to get them the location of the Toowoomba facility and see that the vehicle had also been making runs west (to the desert compound). If it ran out of tracks after a day or so, it wouldn't be a problem: it should still give them what they are seen to have; the fact that Jerry has been going to a spot in Toowoomba, and also out into the outback. :)

However, this raises an interesting question; what would be a better way to plant an improvised GPS bug on a vehicle? I toyed with several other locations, but the need for a convenient full-time power source nearby was an issue. The other location I came up with was inside the spare tire; on some land rovers, the spare is on the back door, exposed. However, I couldn't figure a way for Brandon to get it inside the tire and re-inflate; he wouldn't have the high-pressure air in order to get it back and seated on the rim. A tire-inflation air pump would not be sufficient. The wire could have come out between the tire and the rim, sealed by a tiny bit of chewing gum or the like. The wire would have had to go to the brake lights or similar, and that was getting too complicated and too risky. I also wasn't sure what would happen if the internal battery GPS went flat while the vehicle was parked; would it resume tracking upon power-up?

Another idea I had was the stuffed kanagaroos, but how would they get the GPS back, or get power to it?

The inside of the Rover was another option (wire the thing under a seat, with power from the power-seat bus) but that would have required interior access. I was assuming that Jerry would not leave it unlocked.

Another idea I had was the horn relay; that would have allowed the GPS to be placed just behind the radiator grill, a better location signal-wise. They'd have needed to pop the hood to install it, but they could have likely retrieved it without doing so.

Basically I'm idea-shopping here, in case the GPS is used in future stories (I used on in FTL, too). :)

Thanks!!

The GPS needed to be placed somewhere that it wasn't likely to get discovered.

We've already established that a higher-end unit (mine for example) can get decent signal locks where you placed it.

Driving off-road there's some risk of J/S getting a flat tire. The GPS would surely be discovered if it were in the spare tire.

Putting it under the seat would, I would think, and I'll verify this in a little while, make it even harder to get enough signal locks to be effective. It's more difficult to install and uninstall. And when the vehicle is turned off I think the power to the seats goes off too. Also, let's say J/S drops something and has to go looking for it under the seats. He might well find the unit.

So in that sense I think the unit is best placed where you placed it. Less likely to be noticed even during a radiator boil-over. Easy access to an external power source even when the car is turned off, easy to install and retrieve. It doesn't matter if it gets wet cause it can be submerged to several meters for up to 30 minutes; at least mine can.

My only lingering concern is that there are enough waypoints on one tracking channel to find out where he's going.

ADDED: I got faster signal locks under the seat than I did in the engine compartment.

Edited by GaryInMiami
But, the way I see it (and I may of course be wrong, this is just my opinion) is that rock bands are known for some excessive behavior. More than one has shown up on stage drunk. I recall reading somewhere, for example, that Van Halen was drinking backstage before going on at a big concert (US festival, I think) and ended up getting booed off the stage becuase they were too drunk to play. :lmao:

Thanks though for the link and comments; I hadn't known that alchohol before singing was detrimental to the chords themselves.

Well, not everybody is a health freak ... and especially rock bands / singers don't really seem to care too much. Sex, Drugs and Rock'n'Roll .... i have seen (and played with) quite some singers (or other band members) that have been drinking (or worse....) before, on stage, and after a gig. I think its rather realistic that "the boys" get out of control once in a while :P

However, this raises an interesting question; what would be a better way to plant an improvised GPS bug on a vehicle? I toyed with several other locations, but the need for a convenient full-time power source nearby was an issue. The other location I came up with was inside the spare tire; on some land rovers, the spare is on the back door, exposed. However, I couldn't figure a way for Brandon to get it inside the tire and re-inflate; he wouldn't have the high-pressure air in order to get it back and seated on the rim. A tire-inflation air pump would not be sufficient. The wire could have come out between the tire and the rim, sealed by a tiny bit of chewing gum or the like. The wire would have had to go to the brake lights or similar, and that was getting too complicated and too risky. I also wasn't sure what would happen if the internal battery GPS went flat while the vehicle was parked; would it resume tracking upon power-up?

Another idea I had was the stuffed kanagaroos, but how would they get the GPS back, or get power to it?

The inside of the Rover was another option (wire the thing under a seat, with power from the power-seat bus) but that would have required interior access. I was assuming that Jerry would not leave it unlocked.

Another idea I had was the horn relay; that would have allowed the GPS to be placed just behind the radiator grill, a better location signal-wise. They'd have needed to pop the hood to install it, but they could have likely retrieved it without doing so.

Basically I'm idea-shopping here, in case the GPS is used in future stories (I used on in FTL, too). :)

Thanks!!

I think getting the power somewhere in the motor area was/is a good idea. I would probably have gone for the battery connectors directly, if they are accessible (but you might have to open the hood to get there). And it is definitely a good place to hide the device itself. If you want to be sure to have a good signal quality for the GPS, an external antenna placed somewhere where it is as less covered as possible, like behind/in the radiator grill... or somewhere at the bumper, would do a good job. The antennas are usually rather small, and easy to hide/hard to spot. Of course that would require a bit more planning... but you can get an antenna for a GPS easily (at least here you can get them in many shops...).

Edited by YaP
  • Site Administrator
There is no need to scream. However, I do think it is time for Windone to recant on the gaffe he made in early October...

Huh?? I assume that your referring to moi in this comment :D . If I am indeed in need of a public embarassment, then please go ahead. I like them as much as the next guy :P . But can you enlighten me on what I said??

Now as far as the cliffhanger.....This could be the MOTHER OF ALL CLIFFHANGERS!!!!

Go back and read...please!

Okay, so we have Dimitri nearly peeing his pants when he sees the paparazzi pictures, and also Barbara too. Do you remeber this:

Brandon muttered, "Why can't we just go? We've got what we came for," as he and Chase followed in Eric's footsteps, not noticing the paparazzi who was stalking them from a dozen yards back. The paparazzi watched as the three guys hunkered down with the cargo container-truck between them and their crew, and used his digital camera to snap a few low-light shots of the guys

So if the paparazzi guy was taking low level shots of them under the container truck, I would say he has some shots of Brandon going under the Land Rover and probably coming out with it in his hand!!!

When J/S finds out this, he is sooo going to regret not offing them in the trailer with the road boss.

Edited by wildone
Huh?? I assume that your referring to moi in this comment :D . If I am indeed in need of a public embarassment, then please go ahead. I like them as much as the next guy :P . But can you enlighten me on what I said??

The gaffe is quoted in Lord Goatamort's signature. The post can be found here. Though I suspect you were being sarcastic, your words have been used against you nonetheless. :lol:

• Site Administrator
The gaffe is quoted in Lord Goatamort's signature. The post can be found here. Though I suspect you were being sarcastic, your words have been used against you nonetheless. :lol:

Ah, yes. We have discussed this many times. I believe Joe even attempted one time to properly put it in the context that it was intended.

But, our Goat decided to put it back again. Hence the quote at the bottom of my posts, which CJ posted before my post.

Since I am Canadian, and since CJ believes I'm like a unicorn by being nothing more than fictional, this means the only statement made in his favour of his mantra was made by a fictional person, not a real person :P .

Well I'm off to my fictional kitchen, to make some fictional dinner, and might then read some fiction :D .

Steve B)

PS, also you notice the only other person to come to his defence is Sacha, whom also is a Canadian. Need I say more. LOL

Ah, yes. We have discussed this many times. I believe Joe even attempted one time to properly put it in the context that it was intended.

But, our Goat decided to put it back again. Hence the quote at the bottom of my posts, which CJ posted before my post.

Since I am Canadian, and since CJ believes I'm like a unicorn by being nothing more than fictional, this means the only statement made in his favour of his mantra was made by a fictional person, not a real person :P .

Well I'm off to my fictional kitchen, to make some fictional dinner, and might then read some fiction :D .

Steve B)

PS, also you notice the only other person to come to his defence is Sacha, whom also is a Canadian. Need I say more. LOL

Well, every villain needs a sidekick. It's hard telling what evil they will plot next. :lmao: I would never accuse Canadians of being fictional, though there is an episode of Southpark that I just remembered.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..