Romantic Songs

AFriendlyFace

Not relevant for gay males, but still I think Brad Paisley's song "Put That Toilet Seat Down" is incredibly romantic, and not just humorous. It assumes an intimacy and maturity of relationship which could be a hope for just about anybody.

Yeah, humour is often underrated in romance, and this was funny. And I'm sure it could apply to male gay relationships as well... :P I often tend to find songs romantic that aren't commonly regarded as romantic, but yeah, there's a few good ones by Savage Garden, and 'Time to Say Good-Bye' is lovely too.

Some songs with romantic lyrics can be too lovely to make me feel romantic, I want some savageness in it, I think -- I have a hard time taking 'serious' romantic songs seriously. Right now I'm listening to 'Always Somewhere' by the Scorpions (ahh thank heavens for my new record player, hehe) that can be very romantic when you're in the right mood. 'Holiday' is also a good song; sadly I don't like the versions that are available on YouTube.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Autumn Leaves"

" is a much-recorded popular song. Originally a 1945 French song "Les feuilles mortes" (literally "Dead Leaves") with music by Joseph Kosma and lyrics by poet Jacques Pr

Edited by old bob

I have a lot of romantic songs I like and listen to from time to time is Foolish Love by Rufus Wainwright, an openly gay singer and the words of the song, I've felt many times.

I don't want to hold you and feel so helpless

I don't want to smell you and lose my senses

And smile in slow motion

With eyes in love

I twist like a corkscrew

The sweetness rising

I drink from the bottle, weeping

Why won't you last?

Why can't you last

So i will walk without care

Beat my snare

Look like a man who means business

Go to all the poshest places

With their familiar faces

Terminate all signs of weakness

Oh, all for the sake of a foolish love

The song,

, is definitely romantic. "The first time ever I saw your face I thought the sun rose in your eyes." That this the songs opening, and it is so beautiful. "The first time ever I kissed your mouth I felt the earth turn in my hand." Words like this would make me melt if someone said them to me.

Journey has a couple of songs that are definitely romantic, "Faithfully" and "Open Arms". Mariah Carey did a cover of the latter that was nice but not quite as good as the original.

"Spend the Night in Your Mind" by Cee-Lo

"Stars" by Tatu (I wish I knew the Russian parts)

"Love of my Life" by Santana f/ Dave Matthews

"Just Some Guy" by Anthony Rapp (I love how this one is unabashedly about a male lover)

Let's see if I can name them all. :wub:

Faith Hill Ft. Tim McGraw - "Let's Make Love"

Tim McGraw Ft. Faith Hill - "It's Your Love"

Gary Alan - "The One"

Lifehouse - "Everything"

Lifehouse - "You and Me"

almost all Faith Hill ' song was romantic as hell !!!

Breath , It's matter to me , There you be....

My all by Mariah Carey , It's hard to say goodbye by Celine Dion ft Bryan Adams ...

My fav romantic song never get old , i used to listen to them every night i'm alone , when i was driving ...It't never get old to me :D

Faith Hill Ft. Tim McGraw - "Let's Make Love"

I love that one

almost all Faith Hill ' song was romantic as hell !!!

My all by Mariah Carey , It's hard to say goodbye by Celine Dion ft Bryan Adams ...

I agree! Faith Hill is amazing :wub:

My All is my fav. song by Mariah Carey.

PS. Andy, if you liked the duet with Bryan Adams, you should check out Celine's original duet with Paul Anka, both the Spanish and the English version. It's awesome.

My fav. romantic song would be On S'est Aim

The song,
, is definitely romantic. "The first time ever I saw your face I thought the sun rose in your eyes." That this the songs opening, and it is so beautiful. "The first time ever I kissed your mouth I felt the earth turn in my hand." Words like this would make me melt if someone said them to me.

I tried listening to that, and made it through about 45 seconds. Then I saw the link to Roberta Flack and escaped there. I guess I'm just an old fogey and prefer it the way I know it, and then, too, I've never much cared for Celine Dion, and that clip helped remind me why. Great song, though. "Killing Me Softly" is another really intense Robert Flack performance, though the audio doesn't come through very well in this posting. I guess I need to head to iTunes and buy some of her music. "Killing Me Softly" maybe is not romantic in the sense of this thread, but wow.

Journey has a couple of songs that are definitely romantic, "Faithfully" and "Open Arms". Mariah Carey did a cover of the latter that was nice but not quite as good as the original.

I go with you on those songs, too. I've not heard the Carey version, but will stick with the originals.

Oh, and let me suggest the Beach Boy's "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" Try listening to the song and think of it in a gay context. I think it comes out sweet and romantic and political all at the same time. Instead of teenagers not yet of legal age and independence, think of US gays in an age when their country is not ready for their marriage.

And a personal, but a bit off-topic note. Thinking of what is romantic to me right now is somewhat difficult and confusing. This weekend I saw for the first time in ten years the one woman I would have married if she would have had me. She looked in my eyes and smiled and touched my arm, and I was transported back 30 years. If there were a song I associated with her, I'd be suggesting it right now. But I'm not going try to assert that there's anything romantic on the Stravinsky LP she gave me, though the music is neat.

"Killing Me Softly" is another really intense Robert Flack performance, though the audio doesn't come through very well in this posting. I guess I need to head to iTunes and buy some of her music. "Killing Me Softly" maybe is not romantic in the sense of this thread, but wow.

I *think* I mentioned "Killing Me Softly" in one of my earlier posts, in fact I really thought I did in the first post, but I can't be sure without going back to look. In any case I strongly agree and think it's very romantic.

Oh, and let me suggest the Beach Boy's "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" Try listening to the song and think of it in a gay context. I think it comes out sweet and romantic and political all at the same time. Instead of teenagers not yet of legal age and independence, think of US gays in an age when their country is not ready for their marriage.

I very much agree there too, and have often thought along those same lines with regard to this song.

Another song I put a spin like that on which fits perfectly, though probably not at all how the artists intended, is "

" by Life House. To me it's the quintessential song about being gay and out of sync with society but being strong and taking a positive stand.

"you can be right

and I'll be real

honesty won't be a pain that you'll have to feel

cause I don't need your approval

to find my worth

I'm trapped inside of my own mind

afraid to open my eyes cause of what I'd find and I

don't want to live like this anymore"

"does it scare you that I can

be something different than you

would it make you feel more comfortable if I wasn't

you can't control me

and you can't take away from me who I am"

"have you ever felt

like your only comfort was your cage

you're not alone

I've felt the same as you

have you ever felt

like your secrets give you away

you're not alone

I've been there too

cause everyone is looking

and everyone is laughing but I think

everyone feels the same

everybody wants to feel ok

everybody wants to

everybody wants to feel"

-Kevin

Edited by AFriendlyFace

I don't know. I guess it depends on what type of romantic mood it is.

Like if we were at your sister's wedding and you asked me to dance I would want to hear something like "At Last" by Etta James.

And conversely if it was playful, let's go to a carnival and kiss at the top of the ferris wheel, romance I think I'd like to hear something like "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey.

I very much agree there too, and have often thought along those same lines with regard to this song.

". . . in the kind of world where we belong" makes it seem to fit a gay context even better than a straight one.

I just looked at the websites of the San Francisco and Washington gay men's choruses to see if either has recorded "Wouldn't It Be Nice," but didn't see it. One song I did see a couple of times was "We Kiss in a Shadow." I don't remember that one very well, but it sounds like it could easily be a romantic song that works well in a gay context. It's a ballad from the early '50s.

Leona Lewis also has an amazing cover of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", and her song "Here I Am" is also very romantic...

When you need a place where you can run,

When you need a shoulder to cry on

I'll always be your friend

When you need a shelter from the rain

When you need a healer for the pain

I will be there time and time again

When you need someone to love you here I am

"Killing Me Softly" happens to be the song on which I am basing on Summer Anthology entry (If I ever get it finished).

It happens to be one of my favourite songs, but my favourite version I think is Eva Cassidy's. I wouldn't necessarily say that the song is romantic though...

Some others:

"Everything" by Michael Buble :wub:

"Alone" by Heart, or any other reasonably good artist who covered it...

"Your Song" by Elton John

"Come What May" by Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor (not sure if I already mentioned it or not)

"Now You Know" by Hillary Duff

"I Drove All Night" by Celine Dion (I know Cindy Lauper did the original, but it's not as good to me)

Nicole Kidman had a nice voice , i like something stupid , she sing with Robin william ...Such a nice song...

not me not i by Delta Goodrem ...alway my fav all time

• 2 weeks later...

For me to say a song is romantic it is usually like a break up song wierd thing that would be like You Were Meant For Me - By Jewel.

But for like REAL romance i would have to say some Shania Twain songs. Forever & For always, From this moment on too i used to really like but then i went to 1 too many weddings who people had that song. Alot of people mentioned Celine Dion songs i love singing her songs as loud as i possibly can and then i laugh my butt off when im singing "CUZ IM YOUR LADY!!!" The otherday i was listening to a french song by her and Il Divo it was half french half italian it was called I Believe In You.

Newer songs that i find romantic would be Hey There Delilah by plain white t's. I just change the name to a boys name and heck even the location of the city to wherever that boy is from. I was doing that on Warcraft the othernight to my hot straight aussie friend. It was so funny!

I also like this 1 song called "love song" by Sarah Baraielles (or something like that) its all like "im not gonna write you a love song because you ask for it because you need 1" then im like "Lady you just wrote them a love song" so thats why i like that song.

OH and how could i forget Johnny Reid's Darlin' LOL it makes me think of this big tough truck driver in my mind and i could just see me dating this tough trucker and calling him darlin' MWA HA HA.

Another 1 that used to make me cry was a Trisha Yearwood song called "How Do I live without you"

by Guns n Roses

(That link is from a live concert in Paris, 1992. The studio version is on youtube as well, but I prefer that live version. meh. )

Don't Cry by Guns n Roses

(Also from that concert. I know he's wearing different clothes, but it is the same concert, he just happened to change his clothes often :P )

by Guns n Roses

(Not a link from that concert this time. They did actually play the song there, but they cut it short.)

And yes, it might seem odd seeing Guns n Roses links in this thread, but a few of their later songs were actually quite romantic, really.

Martin

EDIT:

Oh, while I'm at it, these are links to the lyrics for those songs.

PATIENCE LYRICS

DON'T CRY LYRICS

NOVEMBER RAIN LYRICS

Edited by clumber

Martina McBride is one of my favorite country artists. She has a song called My Valentine. It is very romantic.

If there were no words

No way to speak

I would still hear you

If there were no tears

No way to feel inside

I'd still feel for you

And even if the sun refuse to shine

Even if romance ran out of rhyme

You would still have my heart

Until the end of time

You're all I need

My love, my valentine

All of my life

I have been waiting for

All you give to me

You've opened my eyes

And showed me how to love unselfishly

I've dreamed of this a thousand times before

In my dreams I couldn't love you more

I will give you my heart

Until the end of time

You're all I need

My love, my valentine

La da da

Da da da da

And even if the sun refuse to shine

Even if romance ran out of rhyme

You would still have my heart

Until the end of time

Cuz all I need

Is you, my valentine

You're all I need

My love, my valentine

Edited by TL The Writing Tiger

For me to say a song is romantic it is usually like a break up song ...

Not really !!! , It's hard to define what a romantic song 'cause each every listener had adifference taste and i think it belong in our mood ....But for me , a good romantic song depend on a melody , lyric and what the song talking about .... Romantic song doesn't mean break -up song , for me romantic song was wake up song , inspiration song and love song ...

Example : all the Faith Hill song , she didn't sing about break up thing or self - esteem or something like that , in "like we never love at all " just talk about the confession of a woman after she angrued with her boyfriend , "lost " she sang about the man who stolen her heart at the first time , " Breath" definetaly romantic - love song i ever heard ...." There you be " just about her memory with her beloved , who just pass away ....

Selena with Dreaming of you ...Absolutely love song - very contagious with everybody ...And no break up things

Romantic song very very diversity ...for the new song i alway heard reccently " The one "

by Kylie Minougue , we can rank it by love-romantic song after we trade the lyric ....

So you guys , what your defination about sexy song ...? check it out first :

Edited by andyxxx2006