Chat Server Integrated with Gay Authors?

Would you use a Java-based Chat Server?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Java-based Chat Server?

• Yes, I would use it.
    • No, I don't use any chat.
    • No, I have troubles with Java.

• Site Administrator

I have the capability of adding a Java-powered chatroom. All you would need to do to use it is to click a button on the site and it would automatically log you in with your site username.

Would you use it if we installed it?

I have the capability of adding a Java-powered chatroom.  All you would need to do to use it is to click a button on the site and it would automatically log you in with your site username.

Great addition Myr. I would definitely be there

Marc

I have the capability of adding a Java-powered chatroom.  All you would need to do to use it is to click a button on the site and it would automatically log you in with your site username.

Does it bridge to something else (IRC, Jabber, MSN, AIM)? If so I'd use it, but if it's just another standalone chatroom thing I think I'd take a miss on it.

• Site Administrator

It is a standalone chatroom that is integrated with the site and the forums. you would click "Live Chat" when logged in and it will log you in under your site username.

It is a standalone chatroom that is integrated with the site and the forums.  you would click "Live Chat" when logged in and it will log you in under your site username.
You might want to consider an ICQ channel that could also be accessible via a webpage. Just a thought.
  • Site Administrator

I like the idea of requiring nothing more than the standard browser for a chat. No need to signup for anything else beyond having an account here.

• Site Administrator

Yes. it is open all the time. Give it a try. We're in there right now.

Yes.  it is open all the time.  Give it a try.  We're in there right now.

Well, so much for that. Apparently some combination of OS X, Java, and Camino are unhappy with the current chat system.

Don't suppose you'd consider switching to a back end driven by irc or Jabber? I'll even admin the server...

• Site Administrator

Nope... we're on this path for now. Java is supposed to work with every machine...

YES, I would since I don't MSN - I know, freak of nature that I am and considering I make my livelihood off MS, you'd think I'd be all over it but no, not so much...
I ended up having to take java completely off my system, as well as something else, and then reinstall them in order to get this to work.  Pain in the rear, but worth it.

Worth it?

I've been on there for 6 hours non-stop, only to see a bunch of

people join... and leave, without even greeting me or saying anything!

Then, after 6 hours of waiting I finally found two other people sticking around, but

they weren't chatting. When I said hi, one (ok, it was you) said "sorry, but I am in

a private chat with blah blah".

You won't see me back anymore, this simply isn't going to work.

I'd still like to chat with nice gayauthor members though. Is there anyone

else who is interested to start a channel on some IRC network? I have

an IRC client on 24/7 (it even got its own half monitor (of the two monitors

that I have)).

Aleric