Personal Pick-Me-Ups

Dion

Blue... low... dejected... melancholy... bummed... dark... moody...

Whatever you want to call it, your head's in a really bad neighborhood and even the dogs aren't barking.

So what do you do to snap out of it?

My apologies if there's another thread like this - I searched and didn't find one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I jog. Exercise causes endorphines and those are natural anti-depressants so in a way it does make a person feel better. It also allows me a chance to clear my head and think about what's causing me to feel this way and such.

Sometimes a little melancholy is fine (helps you appreciate sad music!) as long as it's not actually depression.

If I want to cheer up I play with my monkey.

He's so full of happiness and life.

Also he tires me out playing chase-games etc, so I don't have time to think about sad things.

Kit

First I look for the reasons.

If it's physical (tiredness, bad digestion..) I take a nap in my rocking chair. My chance is that I'm an easy sleeper, I fall asleeep within 10 minutes.

If it's "psychical", the reason is either to be searched outside (something went wrong in my relations with others) or inside (I'm not agreeing with myself about what I thought, told or did). I'm not very introverted, but if I go deep enough, the "inventory" gives me the answer I need to react, to adapt my feelings or my action. If you know why the bad mood, it goes away almost from itself.

And if (not often) I don't find the answer, people around me do and tell me to change my mind :lol: .

Old bob

I'll spoil myself, provided I have nothing to do today for tomorrow. That could be anything, really -- video games, eat something delicious, go for a drive, play with my car, take a nap, surf the internet, read, whatever it is I'm in the mood for. Once, I was in the mood for an Engineering problem set :blink: , but hey, I got full credit for it and got it done early! lol

ride my bike or so...

I jog. Exercise causes endorphines and those are natural anti-depressants so in a way it does make a person feel better. It also allows me a chance to clear my head and think about what's causing me to feel this way and such.

I either go rollerblading or biking. I find it helps to go as far as you can physically go, and then you have to turn around and make the return trip. Having to focus on breathing and muscle pain makes me forget what was bringing me down. :D

I'm with Krista too...I run. To me there's nothing like a long, treacherous jog to get something out of my system or to give myself a pick me up. Of course lifting weights or going to the beach work too, and sometimes when I'm really depressed and can't come out of it, I write something. Anything. It doesn't have to be a story, or a poem. It can be a letter to someone you care about, or who you want to get something off of your chest to. Of course, there's always chocolate :ranger:

I'm with Krista too...I run. To me there's nothing like a long, treacherous jog to get something out of my system or to give myself a pick me up. Of course lifting weights or going to the beach work too, and sometimes when I'm really depressed and can't come out of it, I write something. Anything. It doesn't have to be a story, or a poem. It can be a letter to someone you care about, or who you want to get something off of your chest to. Of course, there's always chocolate :ranger:

Good point Nick. I forgot to mention that writing in my journal sometimes helps me feel better. :)

I usually either bury myself in work, or I talk to people online ... sometimes both. But since I have been battling depression for 30+ years, only realizing it as such for the last 2, I have a lot of defelction techniques.

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow :snowy: Dog

I usually either bury myself in work, or I talk to people online ... sometimes both. But since I have been battling depression for 30+ years, only realizing it as such for the last 2, I have a lot of defelction techniques.

Ah, yes, Snowy! Avoiding is always a good one that never quite helps as much as I expect it to in the long run. :P

:king: Dr. Mr. Snow :snowy: Dog

I feel for you Snowy. I've been on meds for all kinds of psy conditions including clinical depression since I was like 6 or 7. If you don't mind elaborating I'd be curious to know what some of your deflection techniques are. PM me if you'd prefer to keep it private. :)

So here's a twist: If you couldn't get out, say, because of bad weather or something - what would you do then?

You can't use a car, either. :P

So here's a twist: If you couldn't get out, say, because of bad weather or something - what would you do then?

In Oregon, if I waited for nice weather, I'd never leave the house! lol

actually, I tend to read a lot. sometimes, I'll choose stories I know will cheer me up. other times, I'll choose stories that'll make me cry... and then I feel better... even if I wasn't crying over whatever I was upset about. just the act of crying lets me release the emotion sometimes.

Just how bad does the weather have to be? I've gone surfing during hurricanes. That does wonders for my attitude.

Edited by GaryInMiami

I have several!

-Shopping!!! Or maybe getting my hair done and a nice pedi/mani! That always makes me feel like a new person! :D

-I also like to go out to eat at my favourite restaurant and have a few drinks of something delicious.

-Often I'll seek out friends and vent to them or just let them distract me.

-One of my favourite things to do is give myself a facial and take a long, hot bubble bath while listening to music!

-Often I'll cancel whatever I had planned that day and just go for a nice really long walk!

-Sometimes I'll sleep in.

-CHOCOLATE!

-The pleasures of introspection can also help! I too like to write things out.

-Exercise can be great for a case of the blues! I prefer to hike or climb something personally.

-Doing something new or going somewhere I've never been often cheer me up.

-Doing the dishes! I know it sounds weird but I really like doing the dishes, especially if I need to clear my head and think.

-General tidying up (although the dishes are always my favourite).

-Listening to music does help.

-So does reading.

-A game (sport or card) usually helps

-One of my most effective strategies is helping someone else instead. Offering support or advice usually seem to cheer me up.

-Cooking!

-Writing!

-Painting!

-Going to a museum (alone).

-Going for a drive.

Lots of other things as well :)

-Kevin

-Exercise can be great for a case of the blues! I prefer to hike or climb something personally.

Explain? :P

-Doing the dishes! I know it sounds weird but I really like doing the dishes, especially if I need to clear my head and think.

-General tidying up (although the dishes are always my favourite).

You can always come over when you're feeling bad then! :P

On-Topic:

Sleep seems to help here as well... :P

Explain? :P

LOL, a tree, a steep incline, perhaps a rock, maybe one of those rock climbing walls, that sorta thing ;)

Nothing dirty...although that might cheer me up too 0:)

You can always come over when you're feeling bad then! :P

:lol: