Y'all be gentle, now...

JoelInSpace

I stumbled upon GA while I was searching for some perspective on issues I'm having with my boyfriend. How bad is it that after I read the posts which spoke directly to our friction, I found myself moving through post after post... and then I started reading the stories.

After that, I was a goner. This is a great site. Happy to have found it, happy to meet y'all.

• Like 1

Welcome here JoelIn Space.

From your comment, I'm sure you can give us even more than you will take from GA :lol: .

You seem to be already a member of a lot of communities and all exchanges are profitable.

And tell us what kind of stories you like a most .

Take care and have a good day, as says one of our prolific members.

Old Bob

Welcome here JoelIn Space.

From your comment, I'm sure you can give us even more than you will take from GA :lol: .

You seem to be already a member of a lot of communities and all exchanges are profitable.

And tell us what kind of stories you like a most .

Take care and have a good day, as says one of our prolific members.

Old Bob

Well now see that there is nothing but friendly! Thanky for that warm welcome, Bob!

I won't prattle on about it, but since you ask what kind of stories I like the most, I'm obliged to mention just a couple of things...

Here's the thing about "gay" fiction. To me, it isn't really a genre; it's a point of view. It's a lens (or a filter). So if you want to read about relationships, adding gay characters or using a gay voice just makes the story more interesting, more unpredictable, more... fun! I suppose my fiction of choice is science fiction, but like all story-telling, sci-fi is really still all about interplay among characters, just in tantalizing, unbounded new settings and circumstances. So queerness fits easily into that framework, at least for my tastes.

I suppose my fiction of choice is science fiction, but like all story-telling, sci-fi is really still all about interplay among characters, just in tantalizing, unbounded new settings and circumstances. So queerness fits easily into that framework, at least for my tastes.

Just a suggestion if you like SF : look at "DKstories", the "Do over" saga, and begin with the first one. IMO, dkstories is one of our best authors in SF.

I wish you happy reading time.

Old bob

Well now see that there is nothing but friendly! Thanky for that warm welcome, Bob!

I won't prattle on about it, but since you ask what kind of stories I like the most, I'm obliged to mention just a couple of things...

Here's the thing about "gay" fiction. To me, it isn't really a genre; it's a point of view. It's a lens (or a filter). So if you want to read about relationships, adding gay characters or using a gay voice just makes the story more interesting, more unpredictable, more... fun! I suppose my fiction of choice is science fiction, but like all story-telling, sci-fi is really still all about interplay among characters, just in tantalizing, unbounded new settings and circumstances. So queerness fits easily into that framework, at least for my tastes.

Welcome to the community! :hug:

Ah, another lover of the sci-fi genre!! :wub: Tried Tiger's Dark Earth yet?

You mentioned problems with your boyfriend... Did you find an answer already here on the forum?

Hope to see more of your posts! B)

Welcome to GA! I too am a sci-fi fan. I happen to agree about dkstories too. He's great at sci-fi. Beyond that, enjoy GA feel free to look around for lots of stories to read. :)

Welcome to GA Joel! Hopefully you'll find some good advise and definitely some good stories here. One thing I really like is that we have a wide range of ages and perspectives. I'm always pleasantly surprised about some of the good advice our teens and younger set provide.

BTW, you're right and your BF is wrong 0:) .

Take Care,

Vic

Unless they are clearly being serious, don't listen to Vic or Doc. They give a lot of good advice, don't get me wrong... but sometimes... *re-reads above posts and sighs*

Lol at any rate I hope things are well between you and your Bf... if not, don't despair, for tomorrow is another day!

Welcome to GA, I hope you find your stay here pleasant!

• Site Administrator

G'day, Joel :)

Welcome to GA and I'm really glad that the posts could help you. That's one of the things I like about this site -- how helpful and supportive it can be. :D

I read a lot of science fiction, but mainly offline. I've tried writing it a couple of times, but I don't think I have the vision to write a SF novel... yet :P

Welcome to GA Joel. wave2.gif

I hope I got the Joel part right.

Anyway, GA is great for all kinds of things besides reading stories. We're a wonderfully diverse community and are always anxious to help fellow members with whatever issue is on their mind be it something good or something troubling.

Unless they are clearly being serious, don't listen to Vic or Doc. They give a lot of good advice, don't get me wrong... but sometimes... *re-reads above posts and sighs*

Lol at any rate I hope things are well between you and your Bf... if not, don't despair, for tomorrow is another day!

Welcome to GA, I hope you find your stay here pleasant!

Forgot to say welcome Joel.

I should add not to listen to Robbie (rknapp) either, he is too young to know anything. While he *thinks* he gives good advice, :blink: .

Actually, as those who have been aroung GA for a long time know, and the newbies soon find out, some of us deal with things through humor and good-hearted fun-poking. We can all get lost in the things that upset or worry us, it usually takes someone else to make us laugh, take a breath, and see things with a clearer eye.

Snowy

I should add not to listen to Robbie (rknapp) either, he is too young to know anything. While he *thinks* he gives good advice, :blink: .

Actually, as those who have been aroung GA for a long time know, and the newbies soon find out, some of us deal with things through humor and good-hearted fun-poking. We can all get lost in the things that upset or worry us, it usually takes someone else to make us laugh, take a breath, and see things with a clearer eye.

Snowy

He knew enough to grab John before some other lucky soul found him so let's give the guy a little credit.

As for your last paragraph I don't think anyone could do a better job of summing-up the forums here on GA. thumbs-up.gif

Snowy

And clearly Doc knows I was kidding lol.

BTW, you're right and your BF is wrong 0:) .

Vic, he said he HAD a bf, not that he needs a BF

You're scaring the poor boy away.

I was attempting to show that in matters of relationships, it's usually the GA member who is in the right and the BF who's side we haven't heard from is in the wrong.

Take Care®,

Vic (Who is not turning over every stone in search of a new BF)

I was attempting to show that in matters of relationships, it's usually the GA member who is in the right and the BF who's side we haven't heard from is in the wrong.

Duh! Why does this need to be pointed out? shrug.gif

Joel, I am glad GA aided you in your decision. I hope you find someone better in the future. In the mean time, happy reading!

Edited by Tiger

Hey welcome to GA! hope you find lots of good stuff on here and I know you'll find a lot of people to offer advice or to lend an ear. Hope to talk to you soon!

Eric

Welcome to the forum, Joel! :D

:music::2thumbs::great:

It's a pleasure to have you! Vic is right, we'll probably agree with you unless the BF joins the forum too :boy :P

(although we will try to give you genuine, unbiased advice from time to time too ;) )

Take care!

-Kevin

B) ........Welcome aboard, most here will give serious advice to serious questions, be careful of the threads, if you post in the lounge/humor thread well your going to get what one would expect in that thread!! All in all, everyone is good here, welcome again, enjoy your stay.

To paraphrase an over-used cliche', the rumors of my untimely departure from the GA community have been greatly over-posted.

And while I wish I would have been around to reply to all of your warm, funny and smart welcomes, I must admit that I was rather touched to see the accumulation of so many responses when I was finally able to log back in today. Which reminds me: I'm struggling with a wifi issue right now (that and also another problem, but something far too technical for me to get into, but which I'll just call "Microsoft Vista.")

The issue is that my internet access is provided by the owner of the house I rent. He lives across the street along with our router. Most of the time, no problem. But occasionally, my bandwidth just nosedives down to nothing, and then I'm kicked off the net for a few hours. Though I have no proof of this, I suspect my landlord is occasionally grifting huge video clips from peer-to-peer sites.

My silence, then, is the result of the annoying but rather harmless internet connectivity interruptions which have made life at my current residence so charming and rustic. Definitely not as a result of my short time among your GA folk. And in the future, if any or many of you find that I have suddenly just stopped replying, it's probably because my landlord is trying to download another full length Falcon film.

**********Now that all of you know why I went silent yesterday, I'm going to try to compose another totally different, but equally feasible, explanation. All in the spirit of working to become a better author, right? So here goes: The (Alternate) Reason I went silent...**************

Oh hey guys! Yeah, sorry I kinda disappeared right after establishing my profile and making my initial posts yesterday. But it was for your own good! I decided to use silence to teach ya'll a technique for successful relationships!

So did y'all enjoy that? Pretty good, huh? I call that my "silent treatment" routine.

Let me explain. In grown-up relationships, we sometimes have to find subtle and often petty levers with which to wrest control from our partners back into our own steady grip. If arguing or crocodile tears don't work, sometimes a good long dose of cold absence can be just the thing to inflame our loved ones' insecurities and force them to kiss our asses.

Before y'all start asking, I'm not a professional advice-giver! I'm just really good at relationships. I also believe that God wouldn't have given me such a head full of great ideas to maintian a healthy, happy romance just so I could keep them all to myself. No, it's my duty to share them and help people. Next time, I'll explain how to use something I call "Verbal Abuse" to ensure your partner will never leave you!

***************OK, just to be clear, them was jokes! Good-natured, self-depricating jokes! And, while I am often the gay author of jokes later judged to be unfunny, I can say with utter certainty that my jokes are in no way direct or subliminal reflections of any issues I have ever had with any previous or current romantic partners. However, my boyfriends do have to put up with the actual jokes themselves, if not their fictional bases. And it's been argued that this may actually be a form of abuse on it's own.****************