South Carolina doesn't want gay tourists

captainrick

Well, at least they are being honest... a small (ok, very small) step up from places that really don't like people like us but like our money enough to tolerate us if we're tourists since they only need to hold their noses for a week or two at most.

It's a good thing the economy is booming and they can afford to write off a whole segment of the tourism market. :wacko: Instead of just dropping the targeted marketing quietly, they decided it would be a good idea to go to the press about it to make it clear we aren't welcome. If I was a tourism dependent business, I'd be giving my elected officials an ear full!

Steve

What's in SC anyway?

Just beaches full of old people. I have better places to check out. :P

I know a Montreal family that went to Myrtle Beach every winter.

Edited by MikeL

That's outrageous. They should be ashamed. There's no reason for that whatsoever. Tourism is a good thing. I think this calls for a boycott!

Not making light of the situation, but wouldn't a boycott be what they're after? Maybe we should all descend on the state, bring tents and pack our own food so that we're there, but we aren't making any kind of contribution to their tourism dollars :)

Not making light of the situation, but wouldn't a boycott be what they're after? Maybe we should all descend on the state, bring tents and pack our own food so that we're there, but we aren't making any kind of contribution to their tourism dollars :)

That's an interesting idea. I could be a part of it. However, there would probably be harassment from the police. :(

Hrmmm... I didn't see where they didn't want gay tourists. Of course getting into a big uproar over an ad campeign is just stupid, and yeah leave it up to a right-wing Focus on the Family type of organization to start crying.

however I find this Eddie Walker, soon-to-be former Principle of Irmo High school in Columbia SC, quite entertaining. ~

I have no intention of going to South Carolina. I'm sure it's a beautiful state, but if the people are that closed-minded, I have no desire to go there.

It's their loss. Makes me kinda wish my parents would drive to Knoxville after all to pick up my sister, and THEN drive to Florida in three weeks, that way we could skip that craptastic state all together.

Alright,, maybe some won't like what I'll be saying on this subject, but, writing in a thread title "South Carolina doesn't want gay tourists" just from that article is just plain wrong. The same goes to shouting for a boycott, or saying on the contrary that all the gay should go there not spending money.

First of all, from what I can see, nobody here that made those kind of comment are actually in the state of South Carolina, and therefore I wouldn't be surprise if no one actually knows what's been happening in the state current news. And all the back story of it. For example, right after the school shooting in Dawson in september 2006, here in montreal, some journalist in toronto (meaning from another province), stated that as a people, the Quebecois are racist because all of our 3 school shooting were made by immigrant that we didn't integrated well. My point is that you can't make any judgement without having all the facts, and sometimes all the facts means more that all the facts on the very subject, specially if you gonna make a big statement like "they're racist" or "they don't want gay tourists. you don't know how touchy a subject can be for a population.

Also, It's all a matter of opinion,, Montreal is what anyone could say a "gay friendly" city, but even so, if I'd learn that somewhere are around the world there was adds in the general public view that said the very same of the add in question here, I would be offended too. That add, yes it was during the pride week in London, but was shown in the metro where anyone could see. It is made with bad taste, I'm sure that if it was made differently it wouldn't have made such a fuss down in South Carolina. And now that it has made a fuss, obviously the biggest, loudest mouth will be heard the most, for this it is of course the right wing fundamentalist!!!! Therefore you can't use what it is shown in the news to make a big statement as South Carolina doesn't want gay tourists. Of course in a news article they would spend at least 90% talking about the detractors.

to resume in one word, do not make sensationalist statement based on part of the information that is available

I have no intention of going to South Carolina. I'm sure it's a beautiful state, but if the people are that closed-minded, I have no desire to go there.

I don't really base my tourist destinations on that. I come to visit whether they like or not. I'm not there to please people except myself. It's not like I'm going to interact with a lot of people there and make friends. I'd be mostly talking to waitresses, hotel clerks, and so on. :)

Edited by Jack Frost

What's in SC anyway?

Just beaches full of old people. I have better places to check out. :P

Not counting Benji here.

:o ............What did I do?????????

<_< ...............There are definately better places to go than SC

Mississippi, Tennessee, North Korea, Syria and Iran are the destinations of choice for you guys...

Hey now! I detect a little cynicism. Tennessee is a great place; don't lump us in with North Korea. All tourists are welcome here. You should keep your clothes on in public, but otherwise...a big howdy y'all. :D

Hey now! I detect a little cynicism. Tennessee is a great place; don't lump us in with North Korea. All tourists are welcome here. You should keep your clothes on in public, but otherwise...a big howdy y'all. :D

B) ...........I was thinking Bondwriter was offering 'hot vacation' spots for the 'good people' of South Carolina.

B) ...........I was thinking Bondwriter was offering 'hot vacation' spots for the 'good people' of South Carolina.

I really don't think that is what he meant. I do understand it is tongue in cheek.