What's in a name?

AFriendlyFace

Hi all,

I just wanted to get your opinions on this point. Do you think that in general, and here at Gay Authors specifically, authors tend to use the same names too frequently?

I'm not going to point fingers by 'naming names' ( :lol: ) but I think the overwhelming majority of our authors are guilty of this. That definitely includes me as well!

On the other hand, this is sort of a double edged sword. There's a reason the same names keep cropping up over and over again: they're popular! Not just with authors but with people in general. So if, proportionally quite a few people go by a certain name is it unreasonable for an author to include that popular name in his story? Isn't that realistic to some extent?

The counter point is that some readers are very put off by strange or exotic names, particularly if there isn't a good reason. I know that for example my reading pleasure is decreased if the name is one that I've never seen or heard before. This is mostly because I'm often unsure if I'm pronouncing it correctly in my head. I also might get distracted wondering about its origins or why the author is using it. In any case a very unusual name will distract me and generally put me off a bit.

Personally speaking I think a name that is neither 'strange' nor 'oh so common' is ideal. For some reason the best example I can think of for such a name would be 'Vicky' (or Vicki or Vikki). I'm sure everyone has heard the name Vicky before, but nowadays we don't hear it every day (unless of course you are a Vicky or have one in your immediate sphere I suppose). I also personally like the name. I like 'Mary' about as much, but obviously that's a frequently used one as well.

So what are you thoughts on this as a reader?

If you're also an author what are you thoughts on this as an author?

-Kevin

Hmmm, is my name unique?

Well personally, I try to avoid common names, but then again, complex names, like what you said, tend to put people off. I think my name sounds weird haha. My dad wanted to call me Jovin, but when he was registering my name, he accidentally placed the letter a right next to the letter i; thus, he named me Jovian. I think Jovian is better. I did a research and these possibilites appeared:

1) Jovian is an alien from Jupiter who vows to destroy the earth (grrr....) :P

2) From wikipedia: Jovian was a soldier elected Roman Emperor by the army on 27 June 363 upon the death of Emperor Julian the Apostate during his Sassanid campaign. Jovian reestablished Christianity as the unofficial religion of the Empire. (Sweeet)

Well, some names carry meanings as well. For instance, in my novel, the Japanese name "Miyuki" means Silent Snow, which alludes to my title "Silence of the Deep Snow". When choosing names for your characters, decide if those names suit your characters. Calling someone by the name Angel as an assassin suggests an irony. Don't overlook names in your novel or story, as many writers do - you'll never know when they are handy. They would even provide significant hints or plot twists in your story :D

With those said, DON'T STEAL MY NAME! :P hehehe. At least, if one wants to use my name, don't put me under a bad light haha.

Using the same names too frequently, uhm yeah. It happens. You have a limited number of names at your disposal before you have to start looking up names, and that can really suck.

Now unique names, Ill try not to use one unless it fits. Names are important and it doesnt make sense to name a character something interesting and different withpout a reason. And as for the names themselves, Id only use a name Ive heard before. For example, I know a girl named Estyrose (pronounced sdrose) or Esty, and I might use that name for a character. But I wouldnt just make up a name. Although I do have a story where the characters all get to pick their own name and that gets interesting.

Oh, and the meaning of the name is important too.

Edited by Nerotorb

I've used some names twice for different stories, I just think people have a set of names they think are cute or they like.. so they sometimes use them more than once. I though, when I need character names use Baby naming sites.. it's just that names have changed from the names that I like.. to the more overly cute/modern names that I don't like. So they've not been of much help lately, so I'll likely just stay with the names that I like.

And I agree, if one uses too outlandish names for a modern romance type of story it does tend to put people off, I know it does me.

Character names are tough. Lately, I feel as if I'm really wracking my brains. I would prefer not to use the same name in different stories. I also don't want to use names too common or too boring. My editor teased me about all the names I chose in my current story. I guess they were kind of bland, but I picked those name for a reason, because it sort of matched their personality and background. But I also don't like totally outlandish names or even super ethnic ones, because it's hard to pronounce, remember, or it just gets in the way of reading.

In my first series, I used some unique names, but they weren't completely out there and I think it did help shape the characters. For example, if a female character was named Kimberly and another was named Gertrude, the images that come to mind are very different. Names do bring something extra to the table, in terms of how the reader "feels" the character.

I agree with what was stated already, about modern names in a story set during historical times. It all has to fit and make sense.

While names are important, it doesn't make or break a story. Even if the character were named John and Will or something, as long as the plot is well developed and so forth, no one will zone in on the names. At least I don't think so...

I like it when the author puts some thought into the name of a character. For example, what's this character's ethnic background? What led his or her parents to choose that name? Is the name appropriate for the setting (time and place) of the story? Is it a clich

• Site Administrator

I agree with Kit :) Trying to keep names distinct, unless there is a story reason for making them similar (The Importance of being Ernest, for example), is important. I've been confused in stories when names were too similar and I had trouble keeping the characters distinct in my mind.

My view is that in a novel there's likely to be a mix of common and uncommon names. That's what I find in real life. Where I work, there are lots of Chris's and Michael's, a few known but less common names, like Dean and Roger, and some uncommon names, like Graeme :P Okay, that one falls into the 'known but less common' category for Australia, even if it's uncommon in the USA, but you get the idea. Other uncommon names are typically of an ethnic origin. That's where I got the name "Padma" in my last novel.

My personal pet hate with names is that some keep cropping in online stories. If I'm reading an online story at a gay site, and there's a character called Kyle or Tyler, I'm 90% sure they'll turn out to be gay.... Sometimes it seems that parents gave the names to their kids because they knew they would turn out to be gay :D

I once took a class where the profressor instructed us not to name the characters until after we know a little about them and I really agree. Word association is a killer. It surprised me, at first, how clear a picture I could create in my head after just hearing a name. No description, just a name. And I know I'm not the only person that has looked at someone and thought something along the lines of 'you know, he looks like a Marcus'. So, I definitely think it's best to know a bit about your character before you name him/her. Certain names fit certain people. Even if they are common names. Actually, I like common names better, for this reason. Lots of people know more than one 'Jesse' (just an example of a common name around here) and so when we read/hear the name, it doesn't bring to mind certain traits, physical or otherwise. *deep breath* I'm not sure that made any sense, but I'm fond of common names because I don't think too much on them. I'm able to read and allow the author to let me know what the character is like and I don't jump to any conclusions myself, based on the name alone.

I don't mean to say that I hate 'creative' names, I just think they should fit the character.

Also, I travel a lot and one thing that I've noticed is that 'common names' change depending on where you are. I was SHOCKED when I moved to northern NY and had people saying that names I'd heard all my life were 'unique'.

Last thing. Swear, this post is all sorts of tl;dr, but, I think a good way of dealing with common names is by changing the spelling or doing something similar to make them...not so common. It almost seems like cheating, but as a reader, the technique has worked on me. For instance, changing the spelling of Jamie to Jamee (actually, that's an RL name of a friend of mine). The spelling is different and not quite as common, but the name is still one we've all heard before and isn't hard to pronounce.

Character names are tough. Lately, I feel as if I'm really wracking my brains.

I always feel like I'm wracking my brains when I'm trying to think of a character name. Every time I come up with a new story the ideas and general plotline come easily, but I'm tortured trying to come up with names.

I completely agree with all this, and I will add one more point - it's best if the author tries to avoid names that are too similar within the same story - e.g. Tim & Tom, Brett & Brent - as this can confuse the reader. However, it may be that the author wants to make a particular point with this - e.g. if they are names of identical twins.

Kit

I agree with Kit :) Trying to keep names distinct, unless there is a story reason for making them similar (The Importance of being Ernest, for example), is important. I've been confused in stories when names were too similar and I had trouble keeping the characters distinct in my mind.

I tend to be a pretty careful reader (translation: slow and methodical). I don't scan or skim at all so similar names rarely confuse me. I have noticed though that it also seems to work the other way. The author seems more likely to accidentally type the wrong one if they're too similar.

On the twins point, it feels very uncomfortable to me to have twins with completely dissimilar names. Slightly less so if it's a male/female set, but if it's male/male or female/female I'm very put off by names that don't 'fit together' in any way. It doesn't have to be something as similar as 'Tim and Tom' or 'Brett and Brent' as in the examples. I'm fine with 'Ray and Faye' or 'Noah and Jonah' or indeed 'Tyler and Kyle" (the 'yle' spelling is close enough), but something like 'Jane and Susan' just wouldn't float for me as a set of well-named twins.

Personally, I even prefer for siblings to have somewhat related names. Any of the above would work where the sound or spelling has something in common, but in general 'Michael, Michelle, and Max' would be great or 'Adam, Bobby, and Cindy'. (or 'Erica, Frank, and Gus' or 'Peter, Quinn, and Robyn'). Those sorts of things I don't find problematic in terms of similarity at all. 'Michael, Michelle, and Max' may all be M's, but they look and sound pretty different, but collectively they still make me thing 'siblings'. The other examples are even more individually different but still work nicely as a set.

My view is that in a novel there's likely to be a mix of common and uncommon names. That's what I find in real life. Where I work, there are lots of Chris's and Michael's, a few known but less common names, like Dean and Roger, and some uncommon names, like Graeme :P Okay, that one falls into the 'known but less common' category for Australia, even if it's uncommon in the USA, but you get the idea. Other uncommon names are typically of an ethnic origin. That's where I got the name "Padma" in my last novel.

LOL, personally I've known more than a couple of 'Padma's' ;)

My personal pet hate with names is that some keep cropping in online stories. If I'm reading an online story at a gay site, and there's a character called Kyle or Tyler, I'm 90% sure they'll turn out to be gay.... Sometimes it seems that parents gave the names to their kids because they knew they would turn out to be gay :D

I like these names alot, especially 'Tyler'. I don't really think of 'Kyle' as a gay name though. I think of it more as a straight name actually. I've read several stories with gay Kyle's, but I still think of it as a straight name.

I once took a class where the profressor instructed us not to name the characters until after we know a little about them and I really agree. Word association is a killer. It surprised me, at first, how clear a picture I could create in my head after just hearing a name. No description, just a name. And I know I'm not the only person that has looked at someone and thought something along the lines of 'you know, he looks like a Marcus'. So, I definitely think it's best to know a bit about your character before you name him/her. Certain names fit certain people. Even if they are common names. Actually, I like common names better, for this reason. Lots of people know more than one 'Jesse' (just an example of a common name around here) and so when we read/hear the name, it doesn't bring to mind certain traits, physical or otherwise. *deep breath* I'm not sure that made any sense, but I'm fond of common names because I don't think too much on them. I'm able to read and allow the author to let me know what the character is like and I don't jump to any conclusions myself, based on the name alone.

That makes a lot of sense and I completely agree!

On the twins point, it feels very uncomfortable to me to have twins with completely dissimilar names. Slightly less so if it's a male/female set, but if it's male/male or female/female I'm very put off by names that don't 'fit together' in any way. It doesn't have to be something as similar as 'Tim and Tom' or 'Brett and Brent' as in the examples. I'm fine with 'Ray and Faye' or 'Noah and Jonah' or indeed 'Tyler and Kyle" (the 'yle' spelling is close enough), but something like 'Jane and Susan' just wouldn't float for me as a set of well-named twins.

Personally, I even prefer for siblings to have somewhat related names. Any of the above would work where the sound or spelling has something in common, but in general 'Michael, Michelle, and Max' would be great or 'Adam, Bobby, and Cindy'. (or 'Erica, Frank, and Gus' or 'Peter, Quinn, and Robyn'). Those sorts of things I don't find problematic in terms of similarity at all. 'Michael, Michelle, and Max' may all be M's, but they look and sound pretty different, but collectively they still make me thing 'siblings'. The other examples are even more individually different but still work nicely as a set.

LOL, personally I've known more than a couple of 'Padma's' ;)

I like it when siblings have names that begin with the same letter. I think it's really cute. In JOMM, I wanted the twins to have names that both begin with 'S', hence Storm and Skyler. Although in a future story, the siblings have a huge age gap, but both names also begin with a 'S.' I guess I like 'S' names. It does have more of a sibling or family feel to it, although it rarely happens that way in real life. Me and my sister don't have names begnning with the same letter, but they do sound good together: Kristal and Tiffani. But most people shorten our names to Kris and Tiff anyway.

Padma is a unique name to me. I've never met anyone or heard of anyone who had that name. Maybe I should get out more. LOL. OK, OK, I don't remember if this is accurate, but didn't Natalie Portman have the name Padma in those Star Wars films, or did I get that completely mixed up?

My opinion on this is simple,, I want my writing to be as close to real life as possible. If the character is 16, well I'll choose name that was popular 16 years ago. I won't do a gwyneth palthrow of me (naming a character Apple) and therefore I will use common names...

Of course, if I'm writing about a german kid,, I'll find a german name,, etc.... Everytime I used a special name is because I know someone that's named that way, and I don't think it shows a lack of imagination

Edited by FrenchCanadian

Wow, very interesting topic. I definitely agree that the same names we see in life or in stories is because people really like those names. I myself have a commonly used name. I'm actually named after my paternal grandmother, first, middle, and last name. As much as I love my grandma, I'd like to have my own identity and a slightly less popular name sometimes.

I'm partial to the name Francesca, with the nickname Frankie lol. Don't ask me why, I just am. :lol:

But it does get a little boring sometimes to see the same names in books over and over again. I wouldn't mind seeing some "foreign" names in books by U.S. writers every now and then. Instead of the same Matt, John, Stacey, and Karen. No offense to anyone with those names, I have friends with those names and I love them to death.

i've noticed here that a lot of character names are the same as those used by ga's most popular authors. is it some form of flattery, kissing up, just selecting what are clearly good names? i don't know. i'm just thinking out loud.

there's an abundance of aarons and michaels.

also: graeme mentioned kyle and tyler, and that does seem to be true. for some reason names with non-terminal y's do seem really popular.

ian too. this is true not only in stories, but real life, at least for me.

i have met far more gay ians then straight ians. go figure.

there's an abundance of aarons and michaels.

also: graeme mentioned kyle and tyler, and that does seem to be true. for some reason names with non-terminal y's do seem really popular.

ian too. this is true not only in stories, but real life, at least for me.

i have met far more gay ians then straight ians. go figure.

In real life, I see alot of gay john's.

• Site Administrator

I had someone tell me something interesting recently. They told me that Peter wasn't a common name in the USA (at least their part). I was floored. It is very common here and as a biblical name, I had assumed it would be fairly common in most western countries.

It just goes to show that names are very cultural in nature. Common names in one area are uncommon in another. Some are virtually unknown in some places, but well known in others. And all of that is without going to other ethnicities!

And, of course, as FrenchCanadian pointed out, names are also chronological in nature. While there are certain names that are also popular, some names reflect the leading media personalities of their era. If you go back a few years here in Australia, you'll find Kylie became a popular girl's name, because of the success of the singer Kylie Minogue.

They told me that Peter wasn't a common name in the USA (at least their part). I was floored. It is very common here and as a biblical name, I had assumed it would be fairly common in most western countries.

It's cyclical, and there are geographical and ethnic trends. I recall reading that Peter and Alice were trendy names for kids in the '50s in the US. It was a time when people wanted to be safe, mainstream, and WASPish in their names.

You realize out of context, this is quite a funny sentence?

I happen to agree. :P

I try to use names that are not used quite as much like Cristobel, Julian, etc. It seems to be a lot more fun that way. Then again, there are only so many names that I actually like. You'd never catch me calling a character Earl or something else that's ghastly. :blink:

PS- I mean no offense to any members named Earl. You have my sympathies. :hug:

Edited by Tiger

I completely agree. Personally, I try to go with names that suit my characters, including names common to where they are from. I do have some names that I know people have heard before, such as Elena, and some they might have heard before, such as Aleric. Usually, my odd names are the srunames, not so much the given names.

Same here. Mind you, I have an Alexander, but it fits him and I can't imagine naming him anything else. But I also have a Lin, Li (female), Jin-Sing (female), Ri-Sou (male) and a Ki (male). It all depends on the character. Sometimes I'll find a name and create a character around that name.

Yes, they are really odd names, but the characters aren't exactly human. It all depends on the author and the character.

It all depends on the author and the character.

I think so too. I think what the character is (human, fae, vampire, elf, etc.) is just as important as where the character is from when trying to find a name. Honestly, can you imagine a vampire or a wood elf or a halfling named Bob?